Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

I am 1000000% positive the 660M is 3.0 x16.

Gotcha, the 3.0 standard does communicate directly with CPU, also according to spec sheet. The one I linked, (I believe) is the chipset in our motherboards. I forget the exact source to that info but that's what I dug up a week or so ago. Regardless, it was one of three possible chipset candidates and they were all virtually indistinguishable anyway (in PCI terms I was checking). I agree that all the lanes seem enabled and that makes sense because Lenovo likes to add options to build to suit (TV tuner card, anyone? haha) and the more options the merrier.

If it's not clear, in the pic with the blue X, that's just a bay. The bay itself is not exciting, a blank space of plastic. However to the left of that bay you'll notice a punch of copper leads.. here's a better pic.

post-32246-14494999265207_thumb.jpg

You can see the scale, next to that half-mini wifi and those TINY antenna leads lol. So it would be seriously tricky solder work done with a needle tip and temperature controlled iron, but all that's missing is this.. to then have an additional mPCIe gen 2 speed 2.0x (yes I was getting those mixed up but for my purposes they were interchangeable anyway ;)) IF that area of the moBo is accessible to the system. I mean, it seems we have the BIOS access to ensure it's not disabled there, but the manufacturer could have omitted an smd resistor somewhere down the line and that's the major impasse. Anyway, I must respectfully disagree; it is relevant and perhaps significant as well. ;) It would allow me to keep wifi chip permanently installed and avoid plugging/unplugging antenna wires which I've noticed loosens them and that's something I wanna avoid. Plus, the hassle of actually taking the laptop out of my room lol ;)

Gotcha, the 3.0 standard does communicate directly with CPU, also according to spec sheet. The one I linked, (I believe) is the chipset in our motherboards. I forget the exact source to that info but that's what I dug up a week or so ago. Regardless, it was one of three possible chipset candidates and they were all virtually indistinguishable anyway (in PCI terms I was checking). I agree that all the lanes seem enabled and that makes sense because Lenovo likes to add options to build to suit (TV tuner card, anyone? haha) and the more options the merrier.

If it's not clear, in the pic with the blue X, that's just a bay. The bay itself is not exciting, a blank space of plastic. However to the left of that bay you'll notice a punch of copper leads.. here's a better pic.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13858[/ATTACH]

You can see the scale, next to that half-mini wifi and those TINY antenna leads lol. So it would be seriously tricky solder work done with a needle tip and temperature controlled iron, but all that's missing is this.. to then have an additional mPCIe gen 2 speed 2.0x (yes I was getting those mixed up but for my purposes they were interchangeable anyway ;)) IF that area of the moBo is accessible to the system. I mean, it seems we have the BIOS access to ensure it's not disabled there, but the manufacturer could have omitted an smd resistor somewhere down the line and that's the major impasse. Anyway, I must respectfully disagree; it is relevant and perhaps significant as well. ;)

EDIT: is it bad/a potential security risk to have the serials and barcodes to my hardware up there? Lol

But what is the point, there will be no real gain. And yes it is bad to post S/N on net.

Recently I was thinking about the same. I was curious if it is possible to solder second mpcie port. I was looking around the Web for hi res pictures of MoBo with originally soldered mpcie port because I wanted to compare it with my MoBo just to be sure there is no missing smd component. I think that I will borrow an oscilloscope from my friend I will measure something on this pass. I will be looking for 3V and 1.5V and may be for some digital signal.

pinout

Hi ;)

I have a problem.. because I have win 8.1 and i cant update my bios from support lenovo to bios v8.01 because update is avalaible only for win 7 :X ..I searched but did not find.. I wanna install ur unlocked bios version but if I have 5DCN89WW(8.00) I can install any of these bioses?

Regards!

I have dig some in web and I have found this: LINK. Take a look at page 36. I have found that i dont have R1207, R1208 and R1209 - who know what else. R1207 is 0Ohm 0402 smd resistor so it is shortcircuit. R1208 and R1209 are 100Ohm 1% 0402 smd. So it is no problem to buy it and solder. I have found mPcie connector for about 2$. So if it will work it will be very cheap mod. But if somebody could provide HIGH RESOLUTION images of Motherboard with Third mpcie it would be nice. I would like to compare it with my one and may be i will find another passive element that is missing on my Motherboard. (sorry for my bad English).

For anyone who wants it, I have uploaded a BIOS based on svl7's 2.07 version with the following changes:

• Updated microcode from revision 0x15 (from ~2012)-> 0x1B (from ~2014)
  • Modified ME firmware which can possibly unlock and allow the ability to overclock your CPU by increasing the BCLK or multipliers depending on what CPU you have. If you have 36xxQM CPU, then probably only base clock.
  • *NEW* More options available in the Advanced->Extended ICC tab. However the only working setting is for choosing ICC Profile and depending on if you changed your ME FW to either allow more than one profile and/or you've disabled the soft strap under PCH Strap 10, then most likely the profile setting will not stick after POST and will be overridden by "OEM setting."
    • NOTE: The DIV_1S/DIV_2/DIV_xx/etc settings are not functional at this time. If you try to go into its sub-menu, your bios will freeze up (Don't worry, nothing should break). Just hit alt+ctrl+del to restart, or manually the push power button if for some reason you don't like shortcuts.

[*]*NEW* The last two settings without descriptions which are set to zero by default, I have no F$%ing idea what they are supposed to do. If I had to guess, the first one is supposed to just display "Libary disabled after End Of Post" and I have no idea for the second.

This is still a work in progress, and I am hesitant to call this an experimental beta because the amount of risk in flashing this is the same as flashing svl7's version; I personally flash/test/explore all BIOS files on my y580 (stock BIOS = v2.0x) before uploading.

If you want me to do a 8.0x version, pm me; if enough ppl pm me I will just upload here

How to flash (yes, it is different!)

Disclaimer: Flash at your own risk! I am not responsible for your bricked laptops. I will do my best to help you out but that is it!

1. Format a FAT32 USB, and extract the contents of the zip to it.

1. WARNING: The .rom files located in the zip are the most common names required for y580 to recognize it during bios recovery. If you want to be sure, download andy's bios tool, choose your (not mine) bios, open it in the tool and it should pop up and tell you something like QIWY3.b*? If it says QIWY3.b* then you don't have to rename.

2. Uninstall Intel XTU if you have it installed.
    3. Power down the laptop, remove the battery, and unplug the charger from the wall.Now, with the other end of the charger still plugged in, press and hold the power button for about 10-15 seconds (this is the proper way to do cold boot fyi).
    4. Unplug the charger from laptop, plug wall side in. Plug USB in the port closest to where you would normally plug the charger in.
    5. Now, while holding the Fn + b keys on your laptop, plug in your laptop and immediately push power button. If your usb has an LED indicator for read/write activity, and after ~5-8 seconds it doesn't start blinking then there's 2 possibilities; A: incorrect filename and your BIOS cannot recognize. B: USB partition became corrupted (happened to me). In any case, you should know how to troubleshoot. If you are having trouble entering recovery mode, make sure you are cold booting.
    6. When it starts to beep, you can let go. It'll beep 15+ times, and restart itself eventually.

After all of that, you can enter bios to see the microcode @ 0x1B. You can now install Intel XTU, and might have the base clock un-greyed. I am currently trying to find out how to allow this for everyone and all CPUs with fcpga988 socket but this is best i can do as of now.
      Let me know if you have more than 11 ICC registers unlocked. You can check with Intel's Clock Commander Tool (CCT). For convenience, I uploaded it below. Just open elevated cmd prompt, type cct rrd. Also if you have been able removing some CPU OCing limits, please let me know via pm or reply. I am trying to get this to work for my 3920XM, but it hasn't gained any extra unlockability, just as limited as 3610QM except being able to decrease turbo multis. This worked for my friend who also has a Y580, but is a win 8 version...
      Blowntaha's mod.zip
      Clock Commander Tool.zip

How would I revert the bios on my y580 to 2.07 from 2.08 so that I can apply the modded 2.08 bios?

2.08... you mean the one I posted? Either way, you can revert/flash any BIOS via BIOS recovery. IMO and IME, this is better than flashing in Windows or DOS.

BTW, all Y580s have HM76 chipset, therefore it'll be nearly impossible to OC the CPU, regardless of what mods you do on ME FW, BIOS, etc. because apparently the HM76 is incapable of overclocking (CPU) and is limited at the hardware level. However please come forward or PM me if you have figured this out.

You can still flash my BIOS but the only real benefit of it will be updated microcode.

Did someone try out flashing from 5dcn40ww to 5dcn90ww? Any experiences?

I kinda wanne try it out but am afraid of my bios breaking or computer doesnt start anymore.

You can flash v8.0x from v2.0x without bricking. As stated in the OP, the EC will not be updated and this could cause unusual behavior in certain situations. Search for nicolas' post in this thread on how he did this, I believe he also flashed 8.0x EC as well.

2.08... you mean the one I posted? Either way, you can revert/flash any BIOS via BIOS recovery. IMO and IME, this is better than flashing in Windows or DOS.

You can still flash my BIOS but the only real benefit of it will be updated microcode.

I suppose I'm just genuinely confused about the process. I attempted to use the 2.08 bios provided in the thread but that didn't want to overwrite the 2.08 bios I already had flashed prior to attempting to remove the whitelist.

All I'm trying to accomplish is removal of the whitelist so I can install my new internal wireless adapter.

I'm not familiar with BIOS recovery. Could you point me at a post or resource for that?

Was the AUO that much of a difference from the LG, I've ordered an LP156WF1(B2) which is a model number I found on the Lenovo forums, I can live with the display brightness problem but want to make sure I get the best display as I'm making the switch from the terrible 1366x768 panel, I know it's been a while since you did this but would appreciate any advice you have :)

i just flashed on my y580 the 8.01 unlocked version (i already hat 8.01 locked flashed) of the bios but i get after the reboot just a black screen and iam not sure if the system is booting or not, because the screen is just stays black from the beginning. The keyboard blacklight turns on and i hear the dvd initiliazing.

Anyone faced this problem and knows if it is possible to fix it?

sincerely

blubbsy

PS: i tried to find something similar in the thread but on the phone i havent found any function to search in a thread and google isnt a great help atm.

i just flashed on my y580 the 8.01 unlocked version (i already hat 8.01 locked flashed) of the bios but i get after the reboot just a black screen and iam not sure if the system is booting or not, because the screen is just stays black from the beginning. The keyboard blacklight turns on and i hear the dvd initiliazing.

Anyone faced this problem and knows if it is possible to fix it?

sincerely

blubbsy

PS: i tried to find something similar in the thread but on the phone i havent found any function to search in a thread and google isnt a great help atm.

sorry for double post. I tried the usb recovery with the backup and after the notebook shut down and i removed the usb stick the notebook does not even turn on. Already contacted amazon and they said they will refund me the notebook ;) now i only have to find a new one thats as good as my y580.

I suppose I'm just genuinely confused about the process. I attempted to use the 2.08 bios provided in the thread but that didn't want to overwrite the 2.08 bios I already had flashed prior to attempting to remove the whitelist.

All I'm trying to accomplish is removal of the whitelist so I can install my new internal wireless adapter.

I'm not familiar with BIOS recovery. Could you point me at a post or resource for that?

Download the BIOS from the OP or the BIOS from my post which is basically the same thing but with updated microcode (one or two pages ago), and flash it normally (i.e. run the .exe after unzipping). If you are flashing the BIOS from my post, you will need to download the BIOS from OP, delete the .rom, rename one of the files from my BIOS to QIWY3207.rom and run the .exe. If you can an error about the version. open platform.ini in notepad and change RESSEN to RESSDIS. I believe it's located in 3rd/4th line.

hey blowntaha,

i saw your post on notebook review regarding overclocking an i7-3920XM cpu in a y580; is it safe to say that you were able to swap out the cpus safely? I have a 3920xm chip and have been trying to figure out if it's safe to swap. Was it difficult? Not in terms of the physical process of disassembling, etc., but was it pretty easy? I would love to find out more about the swap, +unlocking my BIOS and such.

erzengelsamel

I have a problem.

I have a bios mod in v8.01.

Have a black screen and can not recover my bios.

can anyone help me?

There is a recovery procedure,as long as you made a backup of the bios, assuming also that you had the v8.01 bios before you tried to flash the modded bios.

Not sure if it will work in your case, but try this:

"Put your backup on a FAT formatted usb drive and rename it to "QIWY3.bin". Remove the battery and AC adapter from your system, plug in the prepared USB drive (I don't know in which port, you need to try, most likely an USB 2.0 or eSata if there is one).

press fn+b and keep it pressed, then plug in the AC adapter, system should start, beeping probably, just wait until it reboots. Might take quite a while."

I am quoting SV17 here but the method is widely reported.

erzengelsamel

"Put your backup on a FAT formatted usb drive and rename it to "QIWY3.bin". Remove the battery and AC adapter from your system, plug in the prepared USB drive (I don't know in which port, you need to try, most likely an USB 2.0 or eSata if there is one).

press fn+b and keep it pressed, then plug in the AC adapter, system should start, beeping probably, just wait until it reboots.

Actually, looking through this thread thoroughly, I haven't found anyone reporting that they successfully restored their BIOS after an attempt to flash the modded BIOS v8.01 went wrong.

I mean, using the fn+b method above.

But there are 2 things that no-one seems to have tried, or at least carried through ..........

1. Flash a different backup of the BIOS! The one recommended here is the smaller backup made with ftp64.exe in windows command prompt, it's about 4.5 MB. But you can make a larger, complete backup of the BIOS and EC using InsydeFlash in windows, with the command line "InsydeFlash.exe anyname.fd /g". This backup is 6mb - I guess this 6mb backup is the complete backup. So why not try flashing with this bigger file?

2. One guy discovered that the correct file name for the ROM that you put on the USB stick to restore the BIOS, might be QIWY4.BIN and not the QIWY3.BIN (and suffix variants) that people have been trying. Apparently he found this string (QIWY4) written on his motherboard. He reported some success but never posted if he managed to restore his laptop to working order.

Personally I am nervous about attempting the modded BIOS flash until I know there is a proven way to recover if anything goes wrong. The laptop is not a toy for me, it is my work station for video editing and I use it everyday. Having said that, most problems here seem to be the result of people flashing a modded BIOS that is not the same version as their original one and I can avoid that!

This all may be academic since this thread has turned into a ghost town, as the Y580 model recedes into history. Hopefully svl7 an his posse will come riding through this way sometime in the near future to verify or refute what I have suggested.

I made a summary of the modded bios (5DCN90WW) v8.01 flashing procedure using fpt.exe in dos and windows for the Y580

There are other summaries but this one is more complete because it has less experienced people, such as myself, in mind.

My laptop runs pre-installed win 8, the keys are in the BIOS

I will follow this procedure, and if more experienced people can verify it, then I guess if will be safe for other people to follow

(perhaps it's the same for the v8.00 bios? except using the (5DCN89WW) v8.00 modded rom? - perhaps it's the same procedure for the Y480? - someone could let us know)

If you would be so kind as to have a look.

This is the procedure

1. Backup your BIOS in windows using ftp64, the backup will be written into the same folder as the ftp64.exe file.

Make sure that the fparts.txt file in this folder is the "fix-error-104" version.

The backup will be automatically named as "BiosBackup.bin"

2. Next you'll be modifying the modded rom according to the info in your own backed up rom

To do this you need to put 4 files in a folder and run the Y580-Y480_BiosFix.exe program

The 4 files are

i>the modded rom that svl7 made, it came named as "v801.rom" but now you copy it into this folder and change the name to "v801.bin"

You do this before your run the exe file.

ii> "BiosBackup.bin", which is the backup of your own rom that you made with fpt64 in windows, or maybe with fpt in dos.

iii> The "fparts.txt" file (the "fix-error-104" version) which must be the same file that you used when you made the backup

iv> The "Y580-Y480_BiosFix.exe" file

With these files in place, open a command window, as admin to be safe, and run Y580-Y480_BiosFix.exe

During the run it will ask you to give the name of the backup file, so you type in BiosBackup.bin and press enter

And then it will ask you for the name of the modified rom file (meaning the one svl7 made), so you type in v801.bin and press enter

It will produce a final version of the rom called v801Fix.bin, which will be written into the same folder, and this is the rom that you copy to the USB and use to flash with

2.Plug in your usb stick

3.Use the windows "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool" to make it bootable and add a DOS OS

(you'll need DOS files in a folder for this HP utility to be directed to)

4.Add all the files for the fpt dos program. Make sure that the ftparts.txt file is the one from the "fix-error-104" version, the same one you used to mke your own rom backup.

5.Add prr2.exe to the USB stick

6. Add your rom file called "v801Fix.bin" (this is the one you created with "Y580-Y480_BiosFix.exe")

7. Make a batch file called "flash.bat" with the 2 lines ...

prr2

fpt -d v801FIX.bin -bios

8. Insert the USB (just to be safe put it in the usb 2.0 port next to the AC input socket)and reboot into bios with F2

9.In the BIOS, change "BOOT MODE" in the BOOT tab to "legacy support"and make sure that "legacy first" is also selected

(without these changes it won't boot from a USB stick at all!)

10. Save and exit from the BIOS and it will reboot to USB

11. Run the batch file you created, flash.bat, to flash the v801FIX.bin

(or type in the lines separately ......................

first type in "purr2" (no inverted commas) and enter

then if that goes well, type in "fpt -d v801FIX.bin -bios" (no inverted commas) and enter.

12. And if there are no error messages, it will flash and reboot - or just shut down?.

..................................................... END .............................................................................

IF THEY LET ME INCLUDE LINKS TO EXTERNAL SITES THEN BELOW IS A LIST OF WHERE YOU CAN GET THE NECESSARY FILES

(I can't access them on techinferno coz I havent made 5 posts yet)

Download the ftp64 windows program from here

Download "Prr2" program from here

Download the modded rom file "v801.rom" from here

Download the "Fpt.exe" dos program from here

Download "fix-error-104" from external site here

Download the "Y580-Y480_BiosFix.exe" file from here

Download the "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool" from here

Download the DOS files to use with the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool from here

Instructions on how to use the "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool" are here

• Thumbs Up 4

1. I have no backup.

2. I have tried every possible name

3. If the laptop does not beep at me.

Sorry for my bad english, is Google translated

Actually, looking through this thread thoroughly, I haven't found anyone reporting that they successfully restored their BIOS after an attempt to flash the modded BIOS v8.01 went wrong.

I mean, using the fn+b method above.

But there are 2 things that no

1. I have no backup.

2. I have tried every possible name

3. If the laptop does not beep at me.

It seems my suggestion to try QIW4 was wrong, so I am sorry if I wasted your time. But you still have problems.

GET LENOVO TO FIX IT

If you're still under warranty just send it back to Lenovo. They will replace your motherboard for free. Don't tell them that you flashed the BIOS. "It just stopped working, I don't know why!" But maybe the warranty has expired, so this could be expensive.

This will save you psychological torture. Or ........

YOU STILL WANT TO FIX IT YOURSELF?

OK. I will try to help.

If you did not make a backup of your BIOS then where did you get the BIOS that you tried to restore with?

What was your BIOS version before you tried to flash it? Was it v8.01?

Or was it something different, perhaps v2.07?

Lenovo have never put the official version of the v8.01 bios online.

Seriously, there isn't a single post in this thread where someone reports successfully restoring the BIOS using the fn+b method. Very frustrating!

THE FN+B method

I'll just tell you what else I read regarding this method, in case you want to try these things (BTW, the original explanation is here)

If you download a default stock BIOS from Lenovo, it will probably be inside an EXE file, and you can extract it from the EXE using winrar. But make sure you know what rom version is inside the EXE file and if you can't confirm it's the one for your machine, then don't use it.

Then you put the rom file into Andy's tool (download here) and it will examine the file and tell you in a pop-up window, what to rename the file when you use it to flash the rom (but I seriously doubt that it will be a name that you have not tried and I am not trying to torture you!)

The online EXE file that most people link to is here, it's called 5dcn40ww.exe. It contains a rom called "QIWY3207.ROM". But I don't know what version of the BIOS this rom file is, I think it is BIOS version v2.07, definitely NOT v8.01.

1. If you try the fn+b method then you must put the USB stick in the USB 2.0 port which is the one next to the power input socket, on the right hand side at the back.
  2. You should press the power button after you have removed the battery and keep the power button pressed in for about 30 seconds (release it before you put the usb stick in)
  3. Keep pressing fn+b until there is a beep or until the light appears on the USB stick (use a USB stick that has an LED for read/write) and that you might have to wait 2 minutes for that to happen.

If the fn+b process IS working, "you can expect the fan to speed up and after a short while, and then the notebook starts to beep periodically. After 2, 3 minutes the laptop should shutdown itself. Disconnect the usb drive and restart the laptop. The bios should be restored."

BIOS BACKUP FILES THAT USERS HAVE PUT ONLINE (not uploaded by Lenovo, not stock ROMs)

1- BIOS v8.01 (full name - 5DCN90WW(V8.01)made with FTP64 program - the link came from this page

which is forums.digitalmy.net/threads/7033-Insyde-bios-mod-requests/threads/7033-Insyde-bios-mod-requests/page1446

2 - BIOS v 8.02 (full name - 5DCN91WW(V8.02)newer than v8.01. Link from here

*I do not know what the dangers are of using other people's backups to restore your own BIOS, I disclaim any responsibility.

BTW-You do not get the names of these user-backup ROMs when you load them into Andy’s Tool

RESTORE BIOS TO DEFAULT SETTINGS BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO RECOVER THE BIOS?

There are some suggestions here for restoring the BIOS to its default settings (usually when people have flashed the BIOS successfully but then changed BIOS settings and fucked up the machine that way.

1 - POWER BUTTON METHOD

Unplug the DC power and take out the battery. Then press and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Some people suggest leaving the battery out for 30 minutes and only then plugging everything back in.

2 - FN KEY METHOD

• Remove ALL power sources from the laptop, including battery.
  • Hold the POWER button for at least 30 seconds
  • Release the power button and then connect the AC ADAPTER , hold down the FN KEY while pressing the power button momentarily to turn the system on, but keep the FN KEY pressed until the computer self-reboots a second time, by this time the computer will start again and you will hopefully see the Lenovo logo on screen.

3- BLIND RESET METHOD (when screen is black/blank)

• Press and hold F2, turn on the laptop and keep F2 pressed down for at least 45 seconds. If you are lucky, you are in the BIOS menu, though you can't see it. Then press press left arrow key once, then press down arrow 4 times, and finish by pressing "enter" 4 times. If it doesn't shut down or reboot, shut it down manually.

4 - REMOVE/RESEAT CMOS BATTERY (everyone tries to avoid surgery!)

• Getting to the cmos battery requires disassembling the laptop. The CMOS battery is under the trackpad (mousepad). You can see the CMOS battery in this picture, in the bottom left corner.
  • You'll have to remove the top of the laptop to get to it (if you are lucky then maybe all you need to remove is the keyboard). There's a video on opening up the laptop
    and he takes the top off in this video.The repair manual in English is here, it's clear, if you understand the English!
  • DC power and battery will be removed to disassemble the laptop, so just remove/disconnect the CMOS battery for 10 minutes then put the laptop back together. The battery removal may be like this one here.

Flash BIOS again using a bootable USB stick

Even if you can't see anything on the screen, your laptop may still be able to boot from a USB stick.

You'll need a ROM to try (not the one that made your computer die!). Hopefully a stock rom from Lenovo, that is the right one for your machine (though at this stage you may be desperate enough to try anything!)

1. Use the windows "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool" to make a USB stick bootable (how to do this) and add a DOS operating system (you'll need DOS files in a folder for this HP utility to be directed to). Then add the fpt dos program files to the USB stick and the prr2.exe files aswell. On the USB, replace the "fparts.txt" file that came with the fpt dos program with the same file in the error-104-fix, available here
  2. Put a copy of the ROM file on the USB stick and rename it restore.bin
  3. Turn on the laptop with the USB stick in. It may boot into the OS on the USB, you should see the light in the USB flickering if it is working (but try the next steps even if there is no light)
  4. About a minute after turning on the laptop, type prr2 and press enter, then type fpt -f restore.bin -bios and press enter.
  5. If it is writing the BIOS then it may switch off by itself, but turn it off after 2 minutes anyway. You may be lucky!

I was wondering if it might be possible to use Lenovo's One Key Recovery button to restore the BIOS?

This is the small button next to the Power button.

If your windows was pre-installed then your OS setup files are kept on a hidden "recovery" partition on the hdd. If you press the Recovery button to start the laptop, instead of the power button, it will start to reinstall the OS and IT WILL WIPE THE C: DRIVE in the process, so you will lose all your personal data and installed programs.

But if there is nothing on the C: drive that is important and you don't mind over writing the data, then you might be able to restore the BIOS by pressing the Recovery button.

It's a long shot, just an idea.

Perhaps it's possible to switch off the machine before the recovery program actually writes anything to the hdd or changes your boot sequence, and that way you can keep your current windows installation?

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey, some may know me from the Y580 Hackintosh guide, but I'm just asking myself if it is possible to flash 8.0X over the modded 2.07. As far as I've read this topic that is only possible by doing this: http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/2260-lenovo-y580-y480-unlocked-bios-versions-94.html#post70966 . Unfortunately I couldn't find the original 8.01 BIOS. I've found this thread: http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/5160-y580-5dcn40ww-v2-07-split-4-5m-only-bios.html#post72938 but the Google Drive link gives a 404 error. So is there anyone who got that 4.5MB original v8.01 BIOS?

And if there is anyone who managed to upgrade from the 2.07 BIOS to the modded 8.0X BIOS beside nicholas0044?

Also I recommend to use Rufus, not the HP Tool.

megacookies -

Unfortunately I couldn't find the original 8.01 BIOS. I've found this thread: Y580,5DCN40WW(V2.07) split 4.5M only Bios but the Google Drive link gives a 404 error. So is there anyone who got that 4.5MB original v8.01 BIOS?

Lenovo never put the Y580 stock ROM v8.01 online anywhere.

But there is a guy who backed up his v8.01 bios and put it online

BIOS v8.01 (full name - 5DCN90WW(V8.01) made with FTP64 program

The guy posted the link on a forum which is closed now

but this is what he posted (obviously use at your own risk)

post-28290-14494999671112_thumb.jpg