M17xR3 GTX560M Poor Performance

skywalka

Hi guys.

I'm having problems playing some games & am trying to work out what the problem is. I ran 3dMark & got these results:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2760QM Processor,Alienware M17xR3 score: P885 3DMarks

I was hoping fellow M17x owners may be able to help me.

Thanx for looking.

That's some crappy scores, have you looked at the nvidia-settings? Under 3d-settings there should be an option that allows you to choose between the integrated gpu and the nvidia one.

I've read that it's usually set to auto by default and changing it to nvidias have sorted out the problem for other people.

Hope this helps.

/Rob

That's some crappy scores, have you looked at the nvidia-settings? Under 3d-settings there should be an option that allows you to choose between the integrated gpu and the nvidia one.

I've read that it's usually set to auto by default and changing it to nvidias have sorted out the problem for other people.

Hope this helps.

/Rob

Thanx for replying.

My laptop does not have an option to switch between integrated graphics. I'm not even sure if it has integrated graphics.

As stated above you do have optimus, unless you have the 3D enabled one which doesn't offer optimus.

Download gpu-z through this link to monitor temps and clocks on your gpu http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2173d/GPU-Z.0.6.5.exe

When running a gpu demanding application it will show the lowest, average and highest gpu usage.

Yeah Optimus really a pain it keeps switching even in 3D application from discrete GPU to Intel GPU and causes the performance to fall... Even i'm searching for how to disable optimus... i have M17x R4 with 680m and FPS fall all of sudden even though my temps are lower then 60°C... recoding with fraps while playing make game switch from Nvidia to Intel and recording gets screwed with FPS falling straight to 10-15FPS :(

I replied to your post days ago but I guess something went wrong.

Do you mean a 3D enabled laptop? Mine is.

In that case, have you checked your power options? See if it is set to high performance or not.

Can I clarify with you that because I have a 3d screen I don't have integrated graphics? Is that right?

Power options are set to maximum performance. My gpu was at 75C when I was using my browser. I rolled back my drivers and my gpu went to 60C when using my browser. I ran 3DMark again and got a better score but still not as good as it should be. I'll post the results soon.

yes the 3d version does not have optimus. Try a clean install of your drivers, if it still doesn't perform nearly as it should do you might be looking at faulty hardware. 70 and even 60 C is a bit too hot while in idle.

• Thumbs Up 1

OK, thanx again for all your help.

Another question if you don't mind. In my BIOS there is no Integrated Graphics detected. Is that to be expected without Optimus?

Yes the only one that will show up is your gtx 560m or whatever you have.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...