Unused Cores in Processor

Roro631

Recently, I've experienced a lot of game and program crashes while using my M14x R1. Just opening a couple of chrome windows would max out the CPU (according to resource monitor). According to Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, only Core 1 is active. All 3 others cores (I have a Core i7 @ 2.00 GHz) are shown to have a core temperature of 100 degrees Celsius. Other programs including CPU-Z and CoreTemp also suggest that only one core is being used. This is true whether I've run processor intensive programs for several hours or just recently turned on my laptop. It's been giving me headaches trying to figure this out, does anybody know what might be causing the problem? Any feedback would be appreciated!!

Run Device Manager. Expand the "Processors" section. You should see 1 processor for each core available.

If not then run msconfig.exe. Select the Boot tab. Click "Advanced options". The box next to "Number of processors" should be unchecked (which means use all logical processors). If it is checked then uncheck it and reboot. Repeat the Device Manager check.

If that doesn't fix it then you're going to have to ensure that all your logical cores are enabled in the BIOS/EFI. I don't know how to do that on the R1 models. And if that isn't it then it may be time to call Dell.

• Thumbs Up 2

Recently, I've experienced a lot of game and program crashes while using my M14x R1. Just opening a couple of chrome windows would max out the CPU (according to resource monitor). According to Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, only Core 1 is active. All 3 others cores (I have a Core i7 @ 2.00 GHz) are shown to have a core temperature of 100 degrees Celsius. Other programs including CPU-Z and CoreTemp also suggest that only one core is being used. This is true whether I've run processor intensive programs for several hours or just recently turned on my laptop. It's been giving me headaches trying to figure this out, does anybody know what might be causing the problem? Any feedback would be appreciated!!

That is temperature throttling. Please post an idle pic of a monitoring app. But preferably please get ThrottleStop which is hosted here and take a pic of it at idle on desktop and another just lightly loading the cpu to get an idea of how bad this is. If the results are bad you may need to repaste or reseat your cpu heatsink as it sounds like it has a gap between the heatsink and cpu die. Dell can help you with that if you need. They never should get to 100c under any conditions you described. Our cpus implement a throttle feature that allows a small percentage of your cpu to run at the target speed and all other cores are paused in a way. Thats why it seems your stuck in single core is my guess especially if the other cores are running 95c+ our cpus by default start to slow their speed at 85c and start that throttle shortly after. By default bios that is.

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

• Thumbs Up 1

Run Device Manager. Expand the "Processors" section. You should see 1 processor for each core available.

If not then run msconfig.exe. Select the Boot tab. Click "Advanced options". The box next to "Number of processors" should be unchecked (which means use all logical processors). If it is checked then uncheck it and reboot. Repeat the Device Manager check.

If that doesn't fix it then you're going to have to ensure that all your logical cores are enabled in the BIOS/EFI. I don't know how to do that on the R1 models. And if that isn't it then it may be time to call Dell.

Thanks ratinox! I went into msconfig and unchecked the box. I never thought that would be the problem, thanks to you and mw86 for your help!

Thanks ratinox! I went into msconfig and unchecked the box. I never thought that would be the problem, thanks to you and mw86 for your help!

Glad you got it working with that. Your welcome but hats off to @ratinox for the fix. Its there to limit the system but I never would have thought that it would of even been accidentally enabled. Nice work Ratinox.

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2