Install Mac OSx and Ubuntu On M14x R2 Via VirtualBox

Hey Guys.. It may Sound Stupid or Crazy to Install Mac OSX and Ubuntu on an Alienware.. But I Want to .. I dont have any Experience with VirtualBox.

but i have seen ppl running MAC OSX and UBUNTU at the same time via Virtual Box..

i need a Someone who can Guide me through the Process..

if you have some Tutorial Specifically for this Purpose than please post the link..

All The Advice and Suggestion and Comments are appreciated

if you want OS X, get an Apple.

if you want to start with GNU/Linux, get with Mint.

if you have an Alienware, give it an OS it deserves.

btw don't be too surprised when the virtualized machine lacks power, especially disk I/O and graphics are weak with desktop virtualization.

post-3507-14494993759237_thumb.jpg

if you want OS X, get an Apple.

if you want to start with GNU/Linux, get with Mint.

if you have an Alienware, give it an OS it deserves.

btw don't be too surprised when the virtualized machine lacks power, especially disk I/O and graphics are weak with desktop virtualization.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5145[/ATTACH]

Much agreed its better to multi boot if you want Linux on your PC. You boot into grub loader last I knew and select other OS and you boot to Windows. From there if you installed legacy OS first you can boot into either of them. I have a desktop that was installed xp-win7-ubuntu and boots as explained above.

I would love to get linux back on a comp i use so Ill try Mint rather than Ubuntu as i heard Mint is all the good of linux with no bloat.

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

• Founder

On the other hand, let's say I want to experiment with objective C, iOS and OSX and simply don't want to pay for a mac book just yet. If my experience is positive then I will grab an actual Mac for development but not the other way around...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

On the other hand, let's say I want to experiment with objective C, iOS and OSX and simply don't want to pay for a mac book just yet. If my experience is positive then I will grab an actual Mac for development but not the other way around...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Well that reasoning makes plenty sense to me. Thats one nice thing about virtualization. One system could temporarily run anything even windows server but you wouldn't want that emulated if you actually planned to use that. Admittedly i tried OSx long ago :) on Pear PC :)

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

Put bluntly: this is piracy. The only legal ways to obtain OS X are with a new Macintosh computer or as an upgrade for a Macintosh computer running an earlier version of Mac OS X.

• Founder
Put bluntly: this is piracy. The only legal ways to obtain OS X are with a new Macintosh computer or as an upgrade for a Macintosh computer running an earlier version of Mac OS X.

I agree it's piracy and illegal and Apple simply forces people do something like that... (pimping describes it better) anyways.

That's not strictly spoken true. Apple can write a lot in the terms of use, this doesn't make it legal. Apple can't change the law. If you look at it from a legal perspective, then Apples ToU don't actually bind you in many countries since they simply can't dictate you to buy an Apple. If you buy a piece of software you should be allowed to use it however you want. It's definitely not piracy if you buy Mac Os and install it on a PC, it might be against Apples ToU, but this doesn't necessarily make it illegal.

Should have closed the tread before it became a playground for hobby lawyers... ;)

Also I would like to ask you to use the word piracy carefully. It is often used by media and think tanks (content industry), but in most cases it is not the (legally) appropriate term.

I am not going to close the thread, but I ask you to stay on topic and to source (link or quote) your claims.

The Apple v. Psystar case from 2008-2009.

Apple Wins Court Victory Over Mac Clone Maker Psystar | PCWorld

It comes down to the "licensed, not sold" clause in almost every software license agreement. If licensed then the licensor has every legal right to stipulate what hardware you install and run it on. Apple's OS X license explicitly forbids running OS X on non-Apple hardware and the federal court ruled it legally binding. An educational contrast is Dell's boilerplate BIOS file license terms which explicitly allow redistribution in both modified and unmodified forms.

I've written my piece. It's up to the mods to determine what to do with it.

As an aside, I have run OS X on OS X using VirtualBox and VMware Fusion. Both are bad. VirtualBox is the worse of the two. No Guest Additions for OS X guests so all the things that you'd expect to work... simply don't. Even with a working set of VMware tools for OS X guests on Fusion there are things that don't work right: sound doesn't work, display sizing is dodgy, disk I/O performance is atrocious, and no accelerated 3D which is actually a big deal for OS X since the Quartz render system uses it extensively.

Seriously. Stick with Windows 7 on the Alienware. Run Ubuntu or Mint in a VM if you want to play around with that and rent a network-based Mac instance if you want to try out OS X.

• Thumbs Up 2

anyone should be able to do ANYTHING he wishes with HIS payed computer ! buy the software and do what you want - I'm MSDN registered and have access to any Microsoft product, I had an MacBook Pro late 2011, I sold it and bought an M14x R1 which broke after like 3 weeks (had problems from begining) and I upgraded to M14x R2 (great !) - Alienware M14x R2, 14.1inch 1600x900, Intel Core i7 3610QM 2.3Ghz, Optimus nVIDIA GT 650M 2GB GDDR5/128bit & Intel HD4000, 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz, 256GB SSD SATA3, Killer Wireless-N 1202, BD-ROM Matshita running Windows 8 Pro x64 with WMC and VMware Workstation 9 with Windows 8 Pro x86 with WMC, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x86, Windows XP Pro x86, OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and Ubuntu Linux which is going to be installed when 12.10 is released; the sata 3 ssd and 16gb ddr3 makes my virtual machine work like native ! using this particular configuration for testing compatibility and developing on any platform... so Mehtaparth94 ? GO FOR IT ! (having an hdd is painfull, I tested... ssd and at least 8gb ram for virtual machine is like native)

Disclaimer: I exposed the posibilities, no rule broken and it's every user's problem how he manage his licensing !

anyone should be able to do ANYTHING he wishes with HIS payed computer ! buy the software and do what you want

That's the rub. OS X isn't sold. It's licensed. You can't buy it. You don't own it. You don't have any rights to it. You only have the permissions explicitly granted by Apple in the license agreement. Any use contrary to the license terms is a violation of Apple's copyrights. That's what the federal courts have ruled. Read up on the Apple v. Psystar case that I've mentioned and previously linked.

Disclaimer: I exposed the posibilities, no rule broken and it's every user's problem how he manage his licensing !

Actually, you may be in violation of parts of the DMCA which prohibit the dissemination of information intended to circumvent anti-copying technologies such as those that exist in OS X to prevent it from running on non-Apple hardware. I'm not saying that you are ethically wrong. I think that the whole licensed-not-sold deal is completely BS. My opinion, however, does not change the law in the US where the T|I forums are hosted.

I do not think it is illegal as long as you own your own copy of OSX.......I am using a vmware image of osx ML and it runs okish as without quatz support you get issues such as....no gaming.....forget abou video editing......honestly I just want to use it to develop ios apps and it should work.

For the sound, it works perfectly with my logitech usb speaker. No other hw issues, i can mount any hw to the host (eg hdd, camers etc)

CPU support is quite good today, at least with technologies like svm (amd) and vt-d (intel) it is possible to achieve 80% of the native performance of the host. If you allow the host OS to be modified (linux only atm) you can use paravirtualization, which allows for up to 98% of the original performance. But we are only talking about cpu performance here. As long as you can keep memory usage modeate, virtualization doesn't create a bottleneck here. But typical I/O has a lot of overhead, e.g. hdds are usually one/multiple file(s) on a physical hdd, so performance regarding random access is be really bad. Networking is also a complicated thing and the influence of tcp checksum offloading seems to be an important, but also hardware dependant factor. Video has always been a difficult thing and will likely not become efficient in the near future, the reason being the amount of legacy in todays video architecture.

Special drivers in the guest seem to ease some of those problems, but in the end they still do not allow things you'd use on a regular desktop like video / gaming.