Is it worth flashing my dell 680m?

esca

I've been reading a lot of things that have said that the dell 680m act very nicely after flashing the vbios because of throttling. And I have also read that it doesnt come close to the clevo 680m's performance. Is all this true? And at the moment does it seem like flashing the dell's cards vbios is kind of pointless????

Well, I don't have a Dell so I can't speak for that but with the 680m and overvolted you can go from ~6000 graphics score in 3dmark 11 to ~7100(no overvolt) and up to ~8000-9000 overvolted. I know that these figures were taken on the 4gb versions(Clevo/MSI) so I don't know how well that will translate into Dells cards but it should logically be able to achieve at least 7000, if not more, which is a ~16.67% increase in performance. First you'd have to justify if it's worth it, however. Run Afterburner with your games and use the OSD to see how much utilization you get out of your cards. I usually don't go above 50% unless it's something like Crysis 2 but for the most part I'm still limited by CPU.

• 2 weeks later...
Im wondering this too. Is it a big boost in performance to flash OC/OV bios? Is the heat generated much higher?

I've been able to get almost a 20% performance improvement in 3DMark11 by overclocking the CPU and GPU. I'm using a M18xR2 with SLI GTX680M. My CPU can go to 4.3 on all four cores while the GPU can benefit from even a mild 819MHz overclock on the core. I haven't played with the voltages on the GPU, but I'm not seeing any throttling or excessive heat either - I keep my ambient temp at 22C and have yet to see the GPU go above 85C.

• 4 weeks later...
I haven't played with the voltages on the GPU, but I'm not seeing any throttling or excessive heat either - I keep my ambient temp at 22C and have yet to see the GPU go above 85C.

But the M18xR2 is a monster. Most of the other machines have much less room for OC/OV, especially when they were not designed for the 680M (e.g., sticking the 680M in Clevos or workstations to replace the original card).

yeah but the OP has a dell, which probably means an alienware m17 or m18x, both of which far exceed the cooling capacity of a 680M at stock. I am pretty familiar with the chip already as I have dealt with desktop 670's a bit, and I know even at the +135 core limit on my unmodified 680M its not even really close to its potential.