Dell Inspiron 7720 650m GDDR5 modded vBIOS

I have original bios(A18), because I have 3630qm processor. But I overclocked GPU Clock to 1000MHz and memory to 2200 and it's stable if I put some books(4,5cm height) under back of laptop. Before even on 835MHz it wnet to 90 degrees after 1min of playing crysis 2 :P Now 74-76 after 30 mins and it is probably stable(willn't go further).

Can I overclock something other to get more power in games? Overclocking gpu memory is worth it? I've tried overclocking to 1050 but when I ran crysis 3 it freezed and I had to restart laptop. Maybe it was just accident... Maybe I must do something with voltage? If it's possible, is it safe? With increased voltage, can I overclock to 1100-1200MHz and maybe further? I want to play crysis 3 on high :D Now I'm playing in full hd or 1600x900(on fullhd fps sometimes drops under 30fps) , medium 8xAA FXAA.

Edit: It trootles :( and voltage is 1.012 often. Sometimes it is under 1V(0.987 IIRC). Trootles at least in 1020/2500.

How Can I run rivatuner osd and fraps concurrently?

Edit2: lol, it is under 1.037 nearly always. Even on 750/2000. It is often 0.987V Can I fix that? Is it possible that I've broken something with overclocking? Is this qualified to warranty?

I've setted 1000/2400 then it was 1.037V. Then, I've turned on Crysis 3. when game was somewhere in the middle of loading, it dropped to 1.012V

Edit3: Voltage is normal(1.037) when I'm not in the game

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know if this will work with the i7 3630qm variant?

I wouldn't risk it unless one of the Authors has confirmed testing it with that CPU. Most have i5's.

I have original bios(A18), because I have 3630qm processor. But I overclocked GPU Clock to 1000MHz and memory to 2200 and it's stable if I put some books(4,5cm height) under back of laptop. Before even on 835MHz it wnet to 90 degrees after 1min of playing crysis 2 :P Now 74-76 after 30 mins and it is probably stable(willn't go further).

Can I overclock something other to get more power in games? Overclocking gpu memory is worth it? I've tried overclocking to 1050 but when I ran crysis 3 it freezed and I had to restart laptop. Maybe it was just accident... Maybe I must do something with voltage? If it's possible, is it safe? With increased voltage, can I overclock to 1100-1200MHz and maybe further? I want to play crysis 3 on high :D Now I'm playing in full hd or 1600x900(on fullhd fps sometimes drops under 30fps) , medium 8xAA FXAA.

Edit: It trootles :( and voltage is 1.012 often. Sometimes it is under 1V(0.987 IIRC). Trootles at least in 1020/2500.

How Can I run rivatuner osd and fraps concurrently?

Edit2: lol, it is under 1.037 nearly always. Even on 750/2000. It is often 0.987V Can I fix that? Is it possible that I've broken something with overclocking? Is this qualified to warranty?

I've setted 1000/2400 then it was 1.037V. Then, I've turned on Crysis 3. when game was somewhere in the middle of loading, it dropped to 1.012V

Edit3: Voltage is normal(1.037) when I'm not in the game

The bios posted by Slv7 overclocks the card too 970 core and and I have only once had a driver crash and restart. My temps are around 70'c so if you are getting 90'c this is way too hot. I have my memory clocked at 1400 and its stable. I wouldnt raise voltages in a laptop. No idea about rivatuner and fraps, OSDs are funny when it comes to running more than one at the same time.

Hello

I have a 7720 Dell 17R Special edition with 650m DDR5 and Win7 x64, and I want to overclock it. What are my options?

Read the thread. You need to install the custom bios from slv7 to overclock the GPU.

• 2 weeks later...
I wouldn't risk it unless one of the Authors has confirmed testing it with that CPU. Most have i5's.

The bios posted by Slv7 overclocks the card too 970 core and and I have only once had a driver crash and restart. My temps are around 70'c so if you are getting 90'c this is way too hot. I have my memory clocked at 1400 and its stable. I wouldnt raise voltages in a laptop. No idea about rivatuner and fraps, OSDs are funny when it comes to running more than one at the same time.

Read the thread. You need to install the custom bios from slv7 to overclock the GPU.

Can you give me a link for this custom bios from slv7? Is is safe? I don't want to brick, I'm still in warranty, but I had enough with the always downclocking 650m.

I cannot download the file, I'm new here. Can you give me a link? Is it safe to use? I had enough with the downclocked 650m.

• 3 weeks later...

HI SLV7, have we had any Luck on a new bios to unlock the speed of the i7 17r SE 7720? I just downloaded the Dell A16 bios. and I'm getting 745 max Mhz, Just wondering if this was still being worked on or not. I'm out of warranty so I'd have to make sure it was a sure thing. Also did you happen to get the funding for your laptop yet?

• 2 weeks later...

i guess this forum is dead now. i have no idea how to mod the bios for the a 16 but im certainly not going to brick my laptop with an older version. hope someone eventually comes out with a vbios that will work with a16

There is a bios posted earlier in this thread that includes a new overclock for the core gpu frequency, but not the memory. It does however unlock overclocking compared to the default dell bios.

I don't recommend anyone with a non-default cpu installs it, since a few people have claimed it doesn't work with their quad core CPUS.

I doubt there will be any more updates now since its been a while since posted, but ill keep my eye open every so often.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is there a way to go back to the default dell bios? I have A16 and vbios from olehkh. If i install A11 mod from svl7 will it work?

Or i'm stuck at A16 ?

I'm curios what will happen if i flash the A11 mod from slv7. Brick?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i tried to flash the Inspirion 7720 - A11 [650m mod 01 - 970-1400] moded bios from svl7 i had a16 so first i put the original a11 bios then i extract at the same folder the flash tool and the .rom file but when i run as administrator the .bat file and press y then it says error 252: Image file ''BIOS.ROM'' not found can any1 please help me with this issue ?

Ok I did it the only thing it need is to rename the .rom file into bios.rom ... I manage to flash the laptp at 970core and 1000 memory but listen to me WARNING !!!!!! If you put out the battery and the cable then your laptop will BRICK !!!! So if you want to install the mode bios donot remove battery and cable ever !!!! I read all the 34 pages and I saw that this happen only at QM3630 cpu pcs BUT im here to confirm that this also happens at QM3610 cpu cause I have 3610 and I brick it so becarefull with this mode bios .... I used svl7 970 core and "2400 memmory" (it was 1000) and after remove it get bricked so do not try this if you dont have garanty ... now I wait them to tell me if they fix it with garanty ... also if you want put this specific moded bios you must first write the original A11 bios from dell site (thats all what I did ... I think I have helped and prevent people from trpoubles)

Στάλθηκε από το GT-I9300 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
Ok I did it the only thing it need is to rename the .rom file into bios.rom ... I manage to flash the laptp at 970core and 1000 memory but listen to me WARNING !!!!!! If you put out the battery and the cable then your laptop will BRICK !!!! So if you want to install the mode bios donot remove battery and cable ever !!!! I read all the 34 pages and I saw that this happen only at QM3630 cpu pcs BUT im here to confirm that this also happens at QM3610 cpu cause I have 3610 and I brick it so becarefull with this mode bios .... I used svl7 970 core and "2400 memmory" (it was 1000) and after remove it get bricked so do not try this if you dont have garanty ... now I wait them to tell me if they fix it with garanty ... also if you want put this specific moded bios you must first write the original A11 bios from dell site (thats all what I did ... I think I have helped and prevent people from trpoubles)

Στάλθηκε από το GT-I9300 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Thanks for the warning. I was also wondering if I would be able to flash to sl7's bios on top of A16. I hope I will be able to do this tonight. The throttling is killing me.

Hi. I've got this laptop for some time now and I'm interested in boosting its performance a little so I want to know what to flash to overclock my GPU. I've got the i5 version (3210m) with A13 bios. Thank you for your answers.

YES !!!! this throttling is killing all of us and also any way it works on 3630qm ? version .... Or bump the voltage ...
my advise is do not install the moded bios the best you can do is sell the laptop and buy a new one that has better gpu and dont throtle down