Asus A42JV (K42JV) ON OFF Loop

kizwan

Hi all!

My notebook somehow died a couple of weeks ago. It's not totally dead but now it ON-OFF loop when I turn on the computer. It's like this:-

Turn ON >> boot up but with blank screen (no backlight either & go on like a minute) >> (auto) turn OFF >> (auto) turn ON for only one second >> (auto) turn OFF >> boot up but with blank screen (no backlight either & go on like a minute)

and it repeats indefinitely until I turn it OFF by pressing the power button. Anyone know what this means? My best guest the CPU kaput; it tries to initialized CPU but failed. I troubleshoot it by putting a quad-core (i7-720QM) processor which I know this notebook doesn't support because this notebook is Nvidia Optimus powered notebook (it use Intel HD Graphics as primary adapter). With quad-core processor, it doesn't do ON-OFF loop but it stays ON indefinitely (with blank screen) until I turn it OFF.

Specification:-

Asus A42JV notebook (at some part of the world it's called K42JV)

Intel i5-450M

4GB DDR3-1066

Intel HM55

Please let me know if you need more information. Thank you.

• Founder

I doubt the cpu is dead, Intel processors rarely fail. Most likely you have a dead motherboard. Have you tried removing the memory modules one by one to see if you can post?

Sent from my GT-N7000

I tried one memory module at a time & tested on each slot. I also tested both modules on my other notebook & confirmed they're ok. Also, I did tested with another set of RAMs. Unfortunately, none of this change anything. I'm able to triggered BIOS recovery mode (it reads optical disc that contain BIOS UEFI file when booting with CTRL + HOME keys). This show motherboard not fully dead, right? Maybe failed when P.O.S.T.-ing? But I don't know what failed. The ON OFF loop must be means something. I wish someone know.

I forgot to mention one thing; before this problem happen, last thing I did is exiting BIOS UEFI by pressing F10 (save & exit). Prior that, I didn't change anything in BIOS UEFI.

• 2 weeks later...