What's so great?

Maniel

I didn't even pay for a second year warranty upgrade but they still gave me next business day at home repairs (without charge) impressive!

I wont be surprised to hear that they have to cover some form of warranty after the first year but managed to get a second year for free anyhow

• 1 month later...
^ Truth...

His customized orangey beast of an m18xr made me want to get mine. I love the thing. It's ridiculously heavy and huge to move around, but the cooling/looks/build quality is just tops for a laptop.

Dell and Alienware get crap but I have had nothing but good things to say about my Alienware m18xr2.

• 3 weeks later...
The only downside is the glossy-only screens.

Word. but other that's probably the only downside.

AW notebooks may be "expensive", but you have really have to take close look at what you get for your money:

- Decent gaming power

- Good build-quality

- Backlit keyboard

- Dell support after 1 business day

I dont know any notebooks which provides you the same, for less money

• 5 months later...

I also had a Toshiba Satellite many years ago. Great sound system, but it started to fall apart. I mean first it was the DVD ROM, then the HDD, then the audio output. It did play all the latest games and 3D software at the highest settings, and it got hot. Gave it to my sister to use a couple years ago, now she's getting a new Macbook Pro Retina.

I've never been impressed with Alienware stuff and I see a lot of demos at trade shows. Often times they let me poke around and I write down all the system specs. Building a custom machine is about 1/3 the retail cost for a comparable system. The AVA custom rig I'm using right now would have cost almost $7000 spec'd to match as Alienware.

Is the name brand worth the extra $3300 to you? That's the question. This monster laptop is about as heavy as my mountain bike but it's cool as my fridge, and I can run multiple monitors, wireless keyboard and mouse and no hiccups. My friends with Alienware units are constantly discussing upgrades and such. Me = not interested.

• 3 weeks later...

Let's see. Their machines (top tier only M15x-M18x) are robust, very upgradeable and reliable. In my experience they can also take a punishing and still work fine year's later. EG: I used to do a lot of video encoding that pushed my 920xm to 95C at full load 3.2ghz across all cores for 14 hours at a time. Nothing failed, nothing throttled, videos turned out great. That was over a year ago and still going strong. My past Clevo...not such a happy story.

To be honest, I didn't like alienware at first. Alienware as a brand is too expensive and too flashy. What really drove me toward buying my first alienware is the fact that they produce laptops that can compete with desktops; overlooking the size, weight, and power limitations that most laptop companies stick to they can provide powerful machines that provide to a niche market. If all you do is play facebook games and sims 3 alienware probably isn't for you. But you seek raw power you can play on the couch with, Alienware is one of the few companies that will provide this service to you.

To be honest, I didn't like alienware at first. Alienware as a brand is too expensive and too flashy. What really drove me toward buying my first alienware is the fact that they produce laptops that can compete with desktops; overlooking the size, weight, and power limitations that most laptop companies stick to they can provide powerful machines that provide to a niche market. If all you do is play facebook games and sims 3 alienware probably isn't for you. But you seek raw power you can play on the couch with, Alienware is one of the few companies that will provide this service to you.
It's humorous that 5 months later people are still replying to the trollish OP.
Maniel

Last Activity

10-01-2012 02:41 PM

Like this?

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3920XM Processor Extreme Edition,Alienware M18xR2

RJYZaHs.jpg

MSI is good for the price but the build quality isn't as good as Dell/Alienware. They don't offer any kind of on-site service; it's either take it to the vendor or pay for RMA shipping. Step up to Clevo/Saeger and you get the build quality at a higher price point but you still don't get on-site service.

• 3 weeks later...

A few years ago I had an Asus laptop and the customer service was a nightmare to try to replace the screen since the back lighting went out a few months after owning it. After that laptop I looked at various brands but after dealing with Dell through work and I came to really appreciate the warranty Dell has compared to other companies. But its all preference and one has to choose the lesser of all evils when it comes to warranty/customer service. The build quality on Alienware laptops is what also got me to purchase my various AW laptops over the years definitely alot better than most.

I picked up a lenovo y580 fairly recently because I wanted to play most games at medium settings fairly smoothly (gtx 660m) and it was within my budget. But never stopped looking at the alienware laptops. One thing i'd love about them is the ability to have hdmi in. Really I'd like the build quality and customer service of these machines. Just need the money :P

wow I did not know that Toshiba has a customization scheme for their laptop purchase too..

They ought to be embarrassed though, the customization is crappy. No video card, no high res screen, no battery options, SSD...etc.

I own the m18x R1 and it's a gorgeous piece of hardware - big screen, dual graphics that's been keeping up with the game's graphical demands since 2 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, you pretty much pay for the name. Someone told me that Alienware used to make awesome computers for the price when it was more of a small-business, but since Dell has taken over alot of their upgrades are overpriced. Still, they are very well crafted computers and you do get very good and reliable hardware.

That applies to everything if you take it far enough. Dell made Alienware a truly killer brand. Anything else money can buy, except for maybe the Clevo P570WM, is ordinary in both form and function.

I would say, a good selling point of Alienware laptops is their longevity, I bought my m14x almost 3 years ago, and have averaged at least 4-6 hours of gaming time a day, every day, with both the CPU and GPU overclocked since the first week I got it, And I have yet to see any indication that its starting to give out on me.

• 2 weeks later...
wow I did not know that Toshiba has a customization scheme for their laptop purchase too..

They ought to be embarrassed though, the customization is crappy. No video card, no high res screen, no battery options, SSD...etc.

I own the m18x R1 and it's a gorgeous piece of hardware - big screen, dual graphics that's been keeping up with the game's graphical demands since 2 years ago.

the m18x is an alienware. have you seen the specs on it:

4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 Processor

MAG-ICN-PROC-PROC_BRAND-CORE_I7_4.png

Windows 7 Home Premium

MAG-ICN-OS-OS_BRAND-W7-OS_VERSN-HMPREM64.png

16GB Memory

MAG-ICN-MEMRY-MEMRY_SIZE_GB-16-MEMRY_CATRY-LAPTP.png

i actually got those from the dell website.

An Alienware has known to be one of the best gaming brand. It is like comparing Android to Apple. Apple has less features and less performance as a android phone with same price, but better specs. People prefer to have apple. Similarly, Alienware is by far has the best computers/laptops, but the downside is the price.

• 2 weeks later...