What's so great?

Maniel

This isn't a bash or anything. I just purchased a new laptop the other day (a really nice Toshiba Satellite) for around $750. It plays everything I can throw at it (highest settings) thus far, so what would be the benefit of using an Alienware laptop when I can pay so much less and get pretty much the same amount? Just curious is all.

You just bought a Toshiba Satellite A665D-S5178 for about $750??? And it plays everything you throw at it at highest settings??

What did you 'throw at it'? Pacman? Pong? Unless I'm very mistaken, your system comes with a low-end ATI HD4000m series GPU, which means you got totally screwed with this deal (yeah, sorry...). You get notebooks which are more than four times as powerful as the above mentioned system, for the same price, seriously.

Now what's the deal with AW systems? Well, that's pretty simple, they actually play the most recent games at highest settings, unlike your system. And no, I don't want to bash or anything, just writing down some facts.

Cheers! :D

• Thumbs Up 8

Guest Alienware-L_Porras

All of our laptops and desktops will run the latest games at highest settings without much effort. That's the deal with them :P

Its pretty simple... other than all of the above which is spot on... No other system delivers you a system with Aliens inside it. Aliens can travel beyond the speed of light and who wouldn't want to be able to do that. :P

Sent from my Paranoid Samsung Galaxy S3 on Sprint using Tapatalk 2 Jelly Bean flavor included

• Thumbs Up 2

It's similar to the difference between a ford focus and subaru wrx, they both will get you to work, but one is much better in every way.

I've owned many toshiba notebooks (currently I have a satellite P750), they are fine, but when you need real power you will find they can't keep up.

Also you have very little access to most components unless you take the notebook apart completely. The chassis is usually poor quality, especially in the cheaper consumer models.

Now I'm not saying alienware is the best you can get, but when you pay more you do usually get more.

This question has been asked several times, on NBR as well. Besides the higher-end top-of-the-shelf grade hardware, the prime reason why I opted for this device was good local warranty (in India) through Dell unlike competing brands like Sager and MSI.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would have to say that it truely depends on what you're looking for. The m14x is easily replaced by any ultrabook on the market with the same/similar specs, and a potentially lower price. You are basically just paying for the branding. The m17x and m18x are completely different. No other gaming computer company builds truely unique and high powered gaming laptops, and as far as I know the m18x is the only laptop with dual GPUs. I don't think its necessary to get into the desktops because its very easy to build your own and save a chunk of change, or get that upgrade you couldn't afford if you purchased the Alienware.

Am I the only one who loves the glossy screen? Yeah, reflections are annoying, but the colors are so vibrant in comparison with matte or anti-glare screens. The anti-glare screen protector on my other m18xr1 makes the screen look like crap IMO.

And yeah OP...Alienwares kinda rip through games like butter, without even breaking an e-sweat.

• Thumbs Up 1

The main reasons why I would choose Alienware over other manufacturers.

1. Alienware looks amazing, it's a treat just to look at it. I mean they scream TOUCH ME!

2. Upgradable and the bigger ones offers sli/cf.

3. OC friendly.

4. Offers extreme RAM-speeds for a nb.

I get an educational discount with Dell that I can't get from other vendors. That made the choice of Dell a no-brainer. I wanted a notebook in the sub 15" size range. The 15" screens are just a bit bigger than I'm comfortable with for portable kit. At the same time I wanted a display resolution better than the all-too-common 1330x768 which isn't bad but I feel is too low for a 13"-14" screen. And I wanted a quad core i7. This narrowed my choices to about 6 models. Half of those were ultrabooks with weak integrated GPUs, effectively worthless for contemporary games. I specced out the remaining three at comparable levels within my budget.

The M14xR2 came out $150 and $300 less than the other two models and has a faster CPU, faster RAM, better screen, and mSSD cache. The other two models are half a pound lighter and half an inch slimmer. So what? Those are unnoticed in my pack.

• Thumbs Up 2

This isn't a bash or anything. I just purchased a new laptop the other day (a really nice Toshiba Satellite) for around $750. It plays everything I can throw at it (highest settings) thus far, so what would be the benefit of using an Alienware laptop when I can pay so much less and get pretty much the same amount? Just curious is all.

Don't take this the wrong way...but....My cpu cost more than your whole laptop and warranty...

And since must games have a step or two above "highest" settings, you're not throwing everything at it.

And the main reason why your getting away with "highest" settings is because your screen is probably a 1600/900P screen. You would need to be running at 1080P with AA & AF on.... For starters...:)

Fact of the matter is...It doesn't even have to be an Alienware, it can be a Clevo. Still better than your Toshiba. So the moral of this story is....If you would have added a few more 100 to your Toshiba purchase...You could have got a really really better laptop that "will"

play all the games you throw at it..Except....on "ultra high" settings. And at 1080P.

Again, don't take this the wrong way...:)

I picked Alienware Because they had the best available components at the time (and still pretty much do). They also have the best warranty I available on gaming machines ( NBD In home repair... In alaska no less). They also blew away the competition (Asus & Sager) in battery life (last year) which is very nice for taking notes in class or for watching movies on a long airplane flight. Now I'm a die hard Fan and Can't dream of owning a lesser system. Here's to hoping the next gen systems will be just as amazing and innovative as their previous lineups. :D

• 2 weeks later...
It's similar to the difference between a ford focus and subaru wrx, they both will get you to work, but one is much better in every way.

I've owned many toshiba notebooks (currently I have a satellite P750), they are fine, but when you need real power you will find they can't keep up.

Also you have very little access to most components unless you take the notebook apart completely. The chassis is usually poor quality, especially in the cheaper consumer models.

Now I'm not saying alienware is the best you can get, but when you pay more you do usually get more.

OMG I can relate to this. I own a 600+ HP Evo and my wife drives an SRT4. Just as stated in the quote they drive around town just the same but get us on the Autobahn and it's a different story. Like everyone else stated sure every day tasks and some games might work out just fine but when you come to a game that requires some real power the toshiba won't get you there like an Alienware.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
The reason I went for an Alienware is because of the warranty. I have had a lot of in-home repair services done with Dell/Alienware products and that is a big factor to why I stick with them.

I also went with Dellienware because of the warranty, I have peace of mind with my m18x with damage cover for the next 3 years and next day in home repairs.