OFFICIAL: Alienware M18x Owners Lounge

Brian

I saw it calibrated and it's not that bad actually, it's above average but it's not 1200p and not RGB LED...

and not IPS... In sum, it imposse sever limitations for one that needs beside gaming, to do some high quality graphic and media work... Really I love the design the dual GPU option, etc. but the real turn down for me and my fellow colleagues is the display. Else we all were massively buying it. Then, we still are seating on the fence...

For me the screen is the only reason that holds me from buying one and I stick with the R2, if that means anything to you ;)

So, we are in the same 'boat'... (which I could be too in the NYC part of it, so I can be with my beloved daughter :40_002:)

Do someone have any substantial stats on how many prefer matte screens over glossy ones? It can be interesting (and not just for us).

• Founder

I don't use my R2 elsewhere than my desk, so I enjoy the glossy screen, for outdoor usage though I would seriously consider a mate screen. We can create a thread with a poll to see how many people prefer the mate over the glossy option.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't use my R2 elsewhere than my desk, so I enjoy the glossy screen, for outdoor usage though I would seriously consider a mate screen. We can create a thread with a poll to see how many people prefer the mate over the glossy option.

Hope you will do. But this poll can be somehow limited...

There's my question: do someone know and can point us to some reliable stats? with a significant sample? I have my own 'sample' reading many forums but I have been unnable to find reliable stats. Some magazine, seem to be a serious one, has published the results of such a poll but there aren't the data relative to this poll: how many samples, etc. I have heard of a poll made by Lenovo and another by Apple... but they keep the 'secrets' of the relevant data... all of them seems to be in favor of the matte panel but, without the relevant data... the poll is useless for any puposes. They just give us an 'impression' of a reality.

• Founder

I honestly don't miss RGB LED at all after calibrating this M18x display. It's sufficiently bright, the colors are good and so are the viewing angles. If anything, I wish the CR was a bit better but it's still decent enough. It's a 7.5/10 display while I give RGB LED 9/10. If you want an example of how good it is, look at your nearest macbook pro 17", its nearly the same quality.

For me it depends on the laptop involved, something like an M18x would get no benefit from a matte screen as realistically it's unlikely to be used outside. Something like the M11x absolutely benefits from matte.

For me it depends on the laptop involved, something like an M18x would get no benefit from a matte screen as realistically it's unlikely to be used outside. Something like the M11x absolutely benefits from matte.

We too don't use it 'outside': we use our laptops in a lab environment, very illuminated of course, and in classrooms, conference rooms where we must keep lights on to see the faces and the eyes of our students.

Matte screens are horrible outside.

And the M18x screen, even uncalibrated it just fine. I had the RGBLED on the M17x-R2 and it was awesome but this isn't a colossal downgrade and now that I have it in hand I feel a little silly for being concerned in the first place. ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

Matte screens are horrible outside.

And the M18x screen, even uncalibrated it just fine. I had the RGBLED on the M17x-R2 and it was awesome but this isn't a colossal downgrade and now that I have it in hand I feel a little silly for being concerned in the first place. ;)

Maybe it just depend on what someone do with the screen besides gaming? ;)

• Founder

I still don't understand why they didn't give the option for a better display, in the very end it is their flagship. I guess they try to limit the system to gaming purposes only while increasing their margin for profit...

• Thumbs Up 1

I still don't understand why they didn't give the option for a better display, in the very end it is their flagship. I guess they try to limit the system to gaming purposes only while increasing their margin for profit...
It's not a bad screen. I'd say it's pretty darn good. Considering it's a non-standard size it looks like it's the best they can do for now. I have no complaints. And I did use a RGBLED for a year. :)

is been almost 2 weeks since I got my M18x-R1 and I can honestly say this machine is more than I hoped for. I mean I am Baffled with how easy and smooth this machine allows me to work or relax.

I keep throwing stuff at it and it has yet to choke on anything. From running my game while listen to music and the quick web browsing session in mufti task is just smooth sailing.

I wanted just to share it with you guys, this is a great machine, and I haven't even calibrated the monitor!:Banane21:

And on a side note to Mw86 I plunged in my Koss headphones to it and it sounds is like the floor at the LA palladium! all I need now is to find that plug in for win amp so my machine dances to the rhythm of trance music I been playing non stop all weekend.

• Thumbs Up 2

is been almost 2 weeks since I got my M18x-R1 and I can honestly say this machine is more than I hoped for. I mean I am Baffled with how easy and smooth this machine allows me to work or relax.

I keep throwing stuff at it and it has yet to choke on anything. From running my game while listen to music and the quick web browsing session in mufti task is just smooth sailing.

I wanted just to share it with you guys, this is a great machine, and I haven't even calibrated the monitor!:Banane21:

And on a side note to Mw86 I plunged in my Koss headphones to it and it sounds is like the floor at the LA palladium! all I need now is to find that plug in for win amp so my machine dances to the rhythm of trance music I been playing non stop all weekend.

Cool listening to my Optimus headphones myself... maybe you should post some of that trance music in the "what music are you listening to?" thread. Glad to hear things sound amazing and work amazing on the M18x.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

No wonder we haven't seen you around much ever since you got the M18x!

• Thumbs Up 1

@JapzT

Congrats and thanks mate, I'm tempted by the black, especially with the red apparently backordered.

If you've got a good camera could you take a detail shot of the colour outside in sunlight, I've heard it's not exactly plain black....

• Thumbs Up 1