OFFICIAL: Alienware M18x Owners Lounge

Brian

• Founder
Hey Brian, if its a little advanced, can you please put up a vid showing how to open it up without causing any problems?

Im gonna install an SSD and better RAM in mine, so that would be helpful.

Ive taken apart desktops before, but this is my first laptop, I dont want to mess it up :P

I've already started making a disassembly video for our tutorials section. However, I ran out of space on my flash card right at the end so it didn't cover the repasting aspect of it. I guess I'll take photos instead to cover that.

I've already started making a disassembly video for our tutorials section. However, I ran out of space on my flash card right at the end so it didn't cover the repasting aspect of it. I guess I'll take photos instead to cover that.

Thanks alot!

EDIT: Rep +1

Come Monday I *should* be able to run a few benches and such. Huzzah.

I also snapped and picked up the Intel 510 (256gb). Just couldn't go with the 320 series when I know the newer drives can take more advantage of the SATA III.

• Thumbs Up 1

mw86 do you actually get rid of the restore partition? You know I never done that, I always felt a little more comfortable having that security blanket but you might be right I just don't have enough information to get rid of the partition.

I would appreciate if you could elaborate about the pro's of this.

I use this method because for one I don't even use system restore. I follow all recommended steps on SSD drives and always try to save as much space as possible since they are expensive per gb compared to standard platter drives. I burned the "recovery partition restore dvds" through dell data safe etc... and installed a clean Windows with the supplied disks and reintalled all software and drivers, but I did gather all needed files first. I generally keep all my data files on an external drive and hook it up when needed so I never will lose my data. The system if you can afford another additional external drive you can make a backup of the entire disk image with most backup software. The alternative is to use Dell datasafe as a restore service. I don't like it but others may.

Edit: when selecting partition to install to, delete the dell recovery partition. Then create a new one from all the raw free space so you have one single partition on the drive (except windows required 100mb boot partion that is created).

Edited by mw86

I also snapped and picked up the Intel 510 (256gb). Just couldn't go with the 320 series when I know the newer drives can take more advantage of the SATA III.

JCrichton- Just saved a 120GB 510 on my newegg wishlist for funds to become available. I am looking to add an additional 500GB disk drive. What would be the best solution, raid or just internal storage for most media files and software?

Hey guys I have a question...one of the Dell chat guys told me that the Alienware motherboard was not compatible with SATA 6 Gb/s......how can that be possible if it has the HM67 Express Chipset? If this is true then we will have to use our Intel 510 SSDs at SATA 3 Gb/s.

• Founder

Some people have had trouble getting their SATA 3 drives recognized. Like you mentioned, I don't see why it would not since it says so in the manual and the HM67 supports it.

• Founder
Welcome to the Dark side:11_002: ..i Mean the club Michael.

I am so sorry to hear that your M17x-R3 went kaput in such short amount of time, Maybe you it was your destiny to own an M18x-R1 so let me warmly welcome you to the club.

Thanks, glad to be here :)

mw86 do you actually get rid of the restore partition? You know I never done that, I always felt a little more comfortable having that security blanket but you might be right I just don't have enough information to get rid of the partition.

I would appreciate if you could elaborate about the pro's of this.

Like mw mentioned, just back up that partition using Dell's backup software and keep then you can safely delete that partition

Hey guys I have a question...one of the Dell chat guys told me that the Alienware motherboard was not compatible with SATA 6 Gb/s......how can that be possible if it has the HM67 Express Chipset? If this is true then we will have to use our Intel 510 SSDs at SATA 3 Gb/s.

M18x does support SATA III, i have no idea why would the alienware rep tell you otherwise, lack of knowledge probably.

JCrichton- Just saved a 120GB 510 on my newegg wishlist for funds to become available. I am looking to add an additional 500GB disk drive. What would be the best solution, raid or just internal storage for most media files and software?

Best is different for everyone. All depends on if you are looking for speed versus reliability versus size.

Best is different for everyone. All depends on if you are looking for speed versus reliability versus size.

Anything will be an improvement over my current Inspiron 9300 with a 100gb 7200 HDD. J how is th wireless kit? Is it worth the $289? Also, havent seen many good pics of the black aside from Manards. Please post some when you can. rawhide85

Anything will be an improvement over my current Inspiron 9300 with a 100gb 7200 HDD. J how is th wireless kit? Is it worth the $289? Also, havent seen many good pics of the black aside from Manards. Please post some when you can. rawhide85
Are you asking if it works as advertised? It does.

As for the "worth it" part, that's really up to you. It's a luxury that I like to have since I use the laptop quite a bit on my TV for media and gaming.

Does the wireless kit enable you to also access files, i.e. windows explorer and browse the web?

No, it's basically just a wireless HDMI connection. However, you could just clone the screen to the display and have access to everything on your M18x.

Hi guys can you confirm if i have a dead videocard? when I use the HWinfo32 and select gpu 1 This is what it shows and it is completely empty in the sensors, please advice.

test4jr.png

Edited by wbabt007

• Founder
Hi guys can you confirm if i have a dead videocard? when I use the HWinfo32 and select gpu 1 This is what it shows and it is completely empty in the sensors, please advice.

test4jr.png

How about CCC ? What does it say bout crossfire ?