Lets enable overclocking on all 6 and 7 series laptops

On the ME side the BCLK needs to be unlocked and set to the desired wide range, then on BIOS side you need to adjust BCLK and the DMI/PEG Ratio...but most our tests on mobile HM87 platform resulted in anon booting system. Either the chipset or CPUs don't like it. Also this sometimes corrupted the CMOS and ended in a bricked system.

@Prema

well, relating the laptop, I have 5 spare bios chips and a programmer, so if I brick it, it doesnt matter if it is bios region or ME,I can recover it, (I already did more than 5 times .. :D)

so I'm not worried about getting on more risky mods.

relating the bios, I spent some months modding it.

one of the things pending to do is create for example fn+2 shortcuts to turn full fan mode like you did on yours, I sent you several messages on different boards and even on email, but didnt got answer :o

as for the bios way I cant find DMI/PEG ratios on the unlocked menus.

all I got was be able of OC the blkc by just 5 mhz by using intel XTU.

but cant OC using the bios

you have pics of my bios here

L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

how I can tweak those ratios if non being able to set it from bios menus?

anyway to "hardcode" it to some of the bios modules and then flash the modded bios with that setting allways set?

or it can be accesible from software like XTU after tweaking the ME firmware more?

thanks in advance :)

AFAIK that's a Haswell only feature, but even if it would be there, it seriously 'randomly' bricks boards, so nothing for end-user as it's a case to case basis thing...you've got a PM just before you replied. ;)

about your message in this board

what kind of bricks?

well, even it is suspected to be for hasswell only, I would like to investigate further because this also surprised me :)

I'm focusing now at what Khenglish said and it seems posible for our sandy bridge mobile systems.

It looks like this mod forces the 125MHz BCLK strap that is supposed to only be present on SB-E socket 2011 systems. Looks like regular SB had it all along. There is also a 166MHz strap... but that would be incredibly difficult to get stable.

is it some kind of hardware damage? or more likely standard brick on corrupting the bios/me flash regions?

I soldered a socket on mine, so I can swap and reprogram easly the whole 4 mb chip in few minutes.

so that is not a problem for me, I am just worried about the other 512kb chip, that one I dont have backup or socket installed on it, I suspect that is the one with the EC info.

(I usually prevent modding stuff wich can corrupt that zone)

so getting more info about that modification would be nice :)

I'm interested on OCing the machine more, and I'm open to aditional hardware or firmware mods in order to get the max from my machine :)

I already did many stuff for the L502X, but I feel I can go further :)

specially when the 15z (the slim version of the L502X, has been already OCed to 125 mhz even without hardware or firmware mods, just an app named clover , but it isnt an option for me since I cant run my windows OS with it, and I'm also looking for a firmware and more permanent solution.)

I would have to go through the specs, but afaik SB-E and Ivy-E do not have the BCLK bound to the PCI-E, so that makes such a high BCLK possible. From what I know it is not possible to get such an OC on a non-X79 platform since the PCI-E and BCLK use the same clock source.

• Thumbs Up 1

well, using xtu, I cant past 105 mhz, it start becoming unstable 104.42 seems stable after months.

relating jkbuha's machine, I dont think it differs to much from mine, and he is able to reach 125 mhz and even higher (he said he didnt tested higher because he was already satisfected with it hehe)

so obiusly, there must be something wich clover loader does than I am missing, such as loading those straps Khenglish mentionated.

not sure if I need to mess a little more with FITC and the ME region since I saw many DMI/ PEG and PCIE references there.

I used CCT command too, wich is part from the ME tools I previously uploaded to this topic

and while doing

cct.exe gcdr

I get following

Intel (R) Clock Commander Tool Version: 7.1.20.1119
Copyright (C) 2010 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

clock_id = 1 [DIV1-S]

clock_usage = {Display}
frequency_min = 120.0000 MHz
frequency_max = 120.0000 MHz
ssc_change_allowed = 0
ssc_spread_mode_control_up_allowed = 0
ssc_spread_mode_control_center_allowed = 0
ssc_spread_mode_control_down_allowed = 1
ssc_spread_percent_max = 0.50 %

clock_id = 2 [DIV2-S]

clock_usage = {BCLK, DMI, PEG}
frequency_min = 80.0000 MHz
frequency_max = 300.0000 MHz
ssc_change_allowed = 1

clock_id = 3 [DIV3]

clock_usage = {PCIe, PCI33, SATA, USB3}
frequency_min = 99.5463 MHz
frequency_max = 100.0000 MHz
ssc_change_allowed = 1

clock_id = 4 [DIV4]

clock_usage = {Display_Bending}
frequency_min = 119.3473 MHz
frequency_max = 120.6599 MHz
ssc_change_allowed = 1
ssc_spread_mode_control_center_allowed = 1
ssc_spread_percent_max = 2.50 %

clock_id = 5 [DIV1-NS]

clock_usage = {Display}
frequency_min = 120.0000 MHz
frequency_max = 120.0000 MHz
ssc_change_allowed = 0
ssc_spread_mode_control_down_allowed = 0
ssc_spread_percent_max = 0.00 %

clock_id = 6 [DIV2-NS]

clock_usage = {BCLK, DMI, PEG}
frequency_min = 100.0000 MHz
frequency_max = 100.0000 MHz
ssc_change_allowed = 0
ssc_spread_mode_control_down_allowed = 0
ssc_spread_percent_max = 0.00 %

HECI CMD Status = 0x00000000 (SUCCESS)

previusly modding the ME region, I changed some settings to FCIM overclocking setting acording with the pdf documentation.

one of the things I altered was the ranges from DIV2-S

wich is now:

frequency_min = 80.0000 MHz

frequency_max = 300.0000 MHz

and is the bclk slider on xtu that I have on 104.42 setting, it let me allow move the slider bar between 80 and 300, however the stable margin is way much lower, probably the interesting part is from 99 to 110.

ssswvNg.jpg

this is a part of 1.5MB FW Bring Up Guide 7.1.20.1119.pdf

wich can be found here CPT_1.5M_7.1.20.1119 with the rest of the tools like CCT, FITC and FPTW wich I used for me modding.

my hm67 chipset cougar point, features the EXTREME PCH SKU abilities from that table

this part sounds interesting

Center spread is only allow when platform is configured for overclocking

configuration, where all non-overclockable clocks (PCI, PCIe, etc..) are routed to SSC3

source.

mmm, is center spread or any other clocks domains the thing I should play with?

You should try disabling spread spectrum. This will get you +.23MHz on BCLK (what you set will be the true clock, instead of .23MHz lower). I tried it and it worked, but for unknown reasons attempting to change BCLK with it disabled resulted in a crash. You can disable it with the SSC Control register in FCIM/BTM Specific ICC registers in FITC. I tried disabling spread spectrum on just SSC2, SSC2 and SSC3, with both having the same result.

@Khenglish

thanks! :)

well, one of the unlocked options in the bios were spread spectrum, it was already disabled, but well, as many of other bios options, I was unable to test if it was really disabled or not.

so yeah, ensuring it is disabled through ME firmware editing should be a good idea too ^^

ok, this is how my current setting looks

kdqqACg.jpg

before it was on 0x0001_0000

but originally I changed it to 0x0000_0000 while first modding the ME

as many other features marked on green color, I set the indicated value for FCIM overclocking on the documentation. it made overclocking work after changing all the indicated values in past

1yGDQG9.jpg

HKZPJcS.jpg

however I supose I will have to change more stuff

should it be 0x00010100 ?

(setting SSC2 and SSC3 active low settings to 1b instead 0b)

how yours SSC CONTROL value looks?

Yeah I tried both 0x00010100 and 0x00000100. SSC2 controls the BCLK, but I tried disabling it on SSC3 as well to see if that fixed BCLK overclocking for me. It did not.

You can tell if spread spectrum is disabled already if when you set 100MHz that you get exactly 100MHz instead of 99.77MHz. If you get 99.77MHz it is still on.

tried 0x00000100

it did disabled spread spectrum, checked cpu-z and it showed exact 100

however, experienced crash while moving BCLK slider even just minimal 0.1 mhz after doing this mod.

so for some reason, even the base clock is 100, it is not stable or crash while OCing the BLKC, it doesnt makes sense it happens after disable spread spectrum, wich is usually a feature wich limit OC, but werll , for some reason it does.

I will return to 0x00000000 then since it at least seems stable and basic BLKC OC works.

Spread is a feature to add stability among the different board clocks. Sometimes it helps to shut all unused clocks down to achieve a higher bclk...

thanks for the info guys.

well, I am outside my home now with the laptop and cant test to much at this week, so I will leave for the moment as it is.

however is really disapointin that someone with the same chipset and stuff got a 125 mhz or higher OC with a random app, than someone who unlocked descriptor and unlocked the firmware :D

I am thinking about contact CLOVER developers to see what "magic" are they adding on it.

• 3 weeks later...

According to this post Fugger seems to got more options in his XTU due to his bios(or ME).

Extremely interesting would be the ability to change peg/dmi ratio, which is doing nothing for him anyway, but is a good start point for investigations.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?288099-Overclocking-CyberPower-Fangbook-4700MQ-Corsair-Vengence

So next point would be to get a dump of his bios and ME firmware, right?

Also it explains why I'm limited to 102.5 bclk with my discrete graphics, unfortunately don't know if I can really disable it with my integrated being disabled from factory.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all. I've been following these ME modification threads for a while and I think I'm super close but need a little help. I have a Thinkstation D30 (X79/C602 chipset) with ME 8.1. I was successfully able to dump the entire ME firmware by the use of a ME_DISABLE jumper on the motherboard and fptw. I can also write the full ME using this method. I've tried enabling what I think are the proper options for getting XTU to work but it still doesn't seem to want to give me overclocking controls. Could someone be so kind as to take a look at my ME dump and see if it's possible to enable overclocking via XTU?

https://mega.co.nz/#!UBAD0TTb!bdXyaPycI5HOOsWykY6uRhvMP-6iVO5myI_PXGTxpUA

Thanks,

RMS

According to this post Fugger seems to got more options in his XTU due to his bios(or ME).

Extremely interesting would be the ability to change peg/dmi ratio, which is doing nothing for him anyway, but is a good start point for investigations.

Overclocking CyberPower Fangbook 4700MQ + Corsair Vengence

So next point would be to get a dump of his bios and ME firmware, right?

Also it explains why I'm limited to 102.5 bclk with my discrete graphics, unfortunately don't know if I can really disable it with my integrated being disabled from factory.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Pulling the card is likely unnecessary. Dropping the PCI-E from 3.0 to 2.0 should have the same effect. I know how to do this on AMD, but not nvidia. Maybe try the following link with different values other than 4:

How to enable PCI-E 3.0 in Windows 8 and 8.1 (Regular and Pro) - EVGA Forums

- - - Updated - - -

Hi all. I've been following these ME modification threads for a while and I think I'm super close but need a little help. I have a Thinkstation D30 (X79/C602 chipset) with ME 8.1. I was successfully able to dump the entire ME firmware by the use of a ME_DISABLE jumper on the motherboard and fptw. I can also write the full ME using this method. I've tried enabling what I think are the proper options for getting XTU to work but it still doesn't seem to want to give me overclocking controls. Could someone be so kind as to take a look at my ME dump and see if it's possible to enable overclocking via XTU?

https://mega.co.nz/#!UBAD0TTb!bdXyaPycI5HOOsWykY6uRhvMP-6iVO5myI_PXGTxpUA

Thanks,

RMS

Unfortunately that chipset has a completely different format from the normal 7 series chipsets, and I do not have the utility or documentation to interpret the values correctly. This is a shame since this chipset has big BLCK straps for big 33% or more overclocks.

I think I will ask Tech Inferno Fan, maybe his Setup 1.3 can change the pcie link speed. I see I can do it for pci-e slots attached on southbridge, but don't have an option menu for the northbridge.

Later edit:

Nando provided this link:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/3094-egpu-desktop-htpc-3.html#post47147

But running a command like:

"setpci -s 00:01.0 CAP_EXP+30.b=42" (to anyone reading without understanding, do not just copy and paste, what is in red is specific to my PC, yours could be different)

Didn't allowed a +3 bclk. Just a freeze.

• 4 weeks later...
he was able to do overclock using clover efi bootloader on osx (we cant use clover on windows anyway)

and he said he have set a 125MHz fsb. and that he got 3375MHz from stock 2.7 (excluding turboboost)

Clover does boot Win8 UEFI. Legacy Win7 it won't boot.

Here's a self-contained utility that can create a Clover UEFI bootdisk with a couple of clicks: cvad-mac.narod.ru - BootDiskUtility.exe

It gives a CPU Tuning-> Bus Speed option like shown below that seems to work for some users. We've even had one documented case of a 125Mhz BCLK being set that way. My Dell E6440 (with XTU BCLK slider locked) sees that option do nothing at all as confirmed by Throttlestop:

71836d1383147970-using-unibeast-create-clover-installer-05-cpu-tuning-menu.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi guys - I am (one of those) who managed to o/c osx successfully via clover UEFI. Via pinmod (ie: unlocking descriptor) I can increase BCLK to 105MHz, anything higher and it just locks up. Via OSX and Clover UEFI I can increase BCLK to 125 and even 133MHz.

I have uploaded all the results at jkbuha's Profile - Geekbench Browser. I have used essentially two different boards - the i7-2620m (2.7GHz, with turbo 3.4GHz) and 2640m (2.8GHz, turbo 3.5GHz). With the latter I could get o/c speeds up to 4.2GHz, as can be seen from one of the results. The 3D Benchmarks and Prime95 tests have similar increases in speeds, but I've found Geekbench as the most reliable.

As Tech Inferno Fan has correctly said, Clover UEFI does not work with Win 7 legacy (I have that at the moment), but I'm also unable to create a Win8UEFI USB to test. If someone can point me towards a reliable way to create one I might be able to verify Clover BCLK o/c via Windows as well.

Let me know if you have any additional queries.

• Thumbs Up 1

I feel really confortable with my windows 7, but every time I see that crazy OC mentions, I even think to upgreade to windows 8 UEFI just to run that speeds (I dont like windows 8 too much anyway, it looks like something just for touch screens like tablets.)

I wish there could be a way to replicate that 125 or 133 mhz OC and get it working too for windows 7 legacy

my cpu have a max multiplier of 28

28 x 104.34 mhz (my current stable bclk OC) = 2'921 Ghz (that is the highest I can get)

with 133 , it would be like

28 x 133 mhz = 3'724 Ghz for all cores

not an small improvement.. ^^

I also managed to "discover" the dmi/peg ratio (in fact it was there, only I was the blind idiot), but switching from 5:5 to 5:4 or 5:3 gives me nothing.

I mean bclk is still 100, not 125 or 133.

I just dream of a 125 ratio, at 32x that would be 4GHz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi guys - I am (one of those) who managed to o/c osx successfully via clover UEFI. Via pinmod (ie: unlocking descriptor) I can increase BCLK to 105MHz, anything higher and it just locks up. Via OSX and Clover UEFI I can increase BCLK to 125 and even 133MHz.

I have uploaded all the results at jkbuha's Profile - Geekbench Browser. I have used essentially two different boards - the i7-2620m (2.7GHz, with turbo 3.4GHz) and 2640m (2.8GHz, turbo 3.5GHz). With the latter I could get o/c speeds up to 4.2GHz, as can be seen from one of the results. The 3D Benchmarks and Prime95 tests have similar increases in speeds, but I've found Geekbench as the most reliable.

As Tech Inferno Fan has correctly said, Clover UEFI does not work with Win 7 legacy (I have that at the moment), but I'm also unable to create a Win8UEFI USB to test. If someone can point me towards a reliable way to create one I might be able to verify Clover BCLK o/c via Windows as well.

Let me know if you have any additional queries.

Use the bootdisk utility to create a UEFI Clover USB stick: cvad-mac.narod.ru - BootDiskUtility.exe . When you bootup make sure you've set your bios so it can boot the USB stick in UEFI mode.

I'd love to see your 125Mhz/133Mhz overclock verified on the Win8 platform. Please run 'bcdedit /set useplatformclock true' and reboot to enable HPET (High Precision Event Timer). That will ensure your clock is accurate from which all benchmarking is measured against.

Thanks Tech Inferno Fan - the problem is not the boot disk but the win8 UEFI disk. I can boot into Clover UEFI, the challenge is to have a win8 live usb to work against. I have win 7 64-bit installed and I don't really like to install win 8 on top of it, so would rather try out win8 uefi on usb.

To date I have not been successful in making a win 8 boot disk that can boot just like a livecd. If anyone can help me out it would be great!