Lets enable overclocking on all 6 and 7 series laptops

I heared that MSI GT783 even with unlocked XM CPU couldn't be overclocked in BIOS, only using ThrottleStop... It was Hell666set who told me that Intel ME firmware locked it that even with unlocked BIOS he didn't see where he could set 1/2/3/4 cores limits...

Khenglish, can you look at this? This is from my ME firmware and here how it affects on OCing FSB through BIOS. I noted something there what I think should be changed for available overclocking at least through BIOS. Please ignore what is written in Russia. What do you think about upper 2 (deviding values). Should they be touched or not? And if yes then how. I also give link on my ME firmware DepositFiles (269512CB59D854768A7BD3B723412EC8)

1379629752-clip-43kb.png

0098i.jpg

@Khenglish I'm trying to get xtu 2.1 to work but I get this message "the extreme tuning utility service could not be contacted" I don't think the installer even sets up the drivers, with 3.1 and 3.2 there are 2 additional folders in the install directory named: Binaries and Drivers but when I install 2.1 there are only the Client folder.

I really want the 2.1 to work to see if I'm able to change memory settings.

@Khenglish I'm trying to get xtu 2.1 to work but I get this message "the extreme tuning utility service could not be contacted" I don't think the installer even sets up the drivers, with 3.1 and 3.2 there are 2 additional folders in the install directory named: Binaries and Drivers but when I install 2.1 there are only the Client folder.

I really want the 2.1 to work to see if I'm able to change memory settings.

Download Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 Service Pack 2 for Windows Desktop https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5783 7-Zip>extract>first Install the 32-bit version followed by the 64-bit v.>install XTU 2.1https://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/19683/eng/XTU_2.1.zip&lang=eng&Dwnldid=19683&keyword=%22%22extreme+tuning+utility%22%22>reboot.

• Thumbs Up 1

Download Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 Service Pack 2 for Windows Desktop https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5783 7-Zip>extract>first Install the 32-bit version followed by the 64-bit v.>install XTU 2.1https://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/19683/eng/XTU_2.1.zip〈=eng&Dwnldid=19683&keyword=%22%22extreme+tuning+utility%22%22>reboot.

I've already tried that, I still get the same message when trying to launch xtu =/

If someone have the 2.1 version installed could you check if there are three folders in the install dir?

MSI should have the intel management engine driver available for download for your laptop. This should be the driver that XTU is looking for.

MSI should have the intel management engine driver available for download for your laptop. This should be the driver that XTU is looking for.

I already have it, could this be BIOS related?

XTU 2.1 works with win7/8 .NET 3.5 enabled, win8.1 IOCBIOS will BSOD during installation, look for XTU under services if it's not there you must install it using cmd (admin) /.NET csc.exe.

It's under services and it's enabled =/

It's under services and it's enabled =/

Try reinstalling IOCBIOS, Programs and Features>uninstall Watchdog Timer Driver>Open device manager>show hidden devices>uninstall IOCBIOS>reboot>folder options show hidden folders>C:\ProgramData\Intel\IOCBIOS folder>run setup.exe> Watchdog Timer Driver-IccWdtDriver>setup.exe>reboot.

Better backup those drivers folders before uninstalling, you also can find XTU drivers under C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Extreme Tuning Utility\Drivers, check logs C:\Intel\Logs.

• Thumbs Up 1

Try reinstalling IOCBIOS, Programs and Features>uninstall Watchdog Timer Driver>Open device manager>show hidden devices>uninstall IOCBIOS>reboot>folder options show hidden folders>C:\ProgramData\Intel\IOCBIOS folder>run setup.exe> Watchdog Timer Driver-IccWdtDriver>setup.exe>reboot.

Better backup those drivers folders before uninstalling, you also can find XTU drivers under C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Extreme Tuning Utility\Drivers, check logs C:\Intel\Logs.

Thank you for taking the time helping me. I'll try reinstalling them with those steps. I'm puzzled about this :S

Thank you for taking the time helping me. I'll try reinstalling them with those steps. I'm puzzled about this :S

Try this version 2.1.408.41 GIGABYTE - Support & Downloads - Utility - Motherboard Intel downloads v2.1.408.35, uninstall under programs and features first Intel®SMBus then Watchdog Timer Driver, device manager show hidden devices uinstall IOCBIOS and lastly XTU>reboot.

Both versions work fine with win8.1 RTM.

SHA1 6c2f9387f7f7aea876342402aec280726df219b9 setup.exe 2.1.408.41 http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Utility/mb_utility_xtu.exe

SHA1 efe113cbbd32d4efeb75e9899c267b0f9813f0a0 setup.exe 2.1.408.35

• 1 month later...

Hi to all,

I just stumbled over this and got pretty interested. I have a Clevo P150HM and wanted to do some oc. I already flashed this to P170HM to enable XTU working, now I wanted to get further...

I successfully dumbed my bios and got all the tools. I edited my dumb with Flash Image Tool but upon building it says "Configuration Parameter Size Mismatch", it does this even without editing anything. So whats up here, do I need new ME FW first? The one from my dumb is 7.0.4.1197

Hi to all,

I just stumbled over this and got pretty interested. I have a Clevo P150HM and wanted to do some oc. I already flashed this to P170HM to enable XTU working, now I wanted to get further...

I successfully dumbed my bios and got all the tools. I edited my dumb with Flash Image Tool but upon building it says "Configuration Parameter Size Mismatch", it does this even without editing anything. So whats up here, do I need new ME FW first? The one from my dumb is 7.0.4.1197

Which FITC version did you use? Only the version in the 6 series chipset link will work for the P150HM.

I used the FTIC provided in the download link for 6 series chipset. FTIC 7.1.20.1119

Anyway I flashed your modded ME fw, I have now basically ME8 on my machine. Unfortunately, the bar for bclk, which was grey and disabled before flashing has now completely disappeared. :/

Also I cant raise power limits in Throttle Stop which would be very useful even if bclk oc doesnt work because of hardware restrictions.

• Thumbs Up 1

I used the FTIC provided in the download link for 6 series chipset. FTIC 7.1.20.1119

Anyway I flashed your modded ME fw, I have now basically ME8 on my machine. Unfortunately, the bar for bclk, which was grey and disabled before flashing has now completely disappeared. :/

Also I cant raise power limits in Throttle Stop which would be very useful even if bclk oc doesnt work because of hardware restrictions.

Just out of curious, why would you flash ME8 using software peovided for 7-th version for your chipset?

And how can you be sure that your BIOS doesn't believe that your ME firmware is bricked and that's why it loads without it (and thetefore you got all that)?

Just out of curious, why would you flash ME8 using software peovided for 7-th version for your chipset?

Series 6 chipset -> ME 7.x

Series 7 chipset -> ME 8.x

Series 8 chipset -> ME 9.x

Do you get the idea? :D

That's Intel style of hardware vs firmware enumeration.

Ah yeah, and if you think you got the scheme... X79 can use 7 and 8 ME firmware. :P

Whoa that didn't brick it? Cool. You are the first person ever to flash an ME8 onto a 6 series laptop. I would be HIGHLY interested in what happens if you plugged an Ivy Bridge CPU into your P150HM now. There's a chance it could work.

XTU is bad about having the BCLK slider disappear. Make sure you used windows update to install the "intel management engine interface driver". It will be under "optional" downloads. After that uninstall your current XTU version and install this one:

XTU-Setup

That procedure should get BCLK working. It works for me. And please plug in an ivy bridge CPU if you can get a hold of one!

Series 6 chipset -> ME 7.x

Series 7 chipset -> ME 8.x

Series 8 chipset -> ME 9.x

Do you get the idea? :D

That's Intel style of hardware vs firmware enumeration.

Ah yeah, and if you think you got the scheme... X79 can use 7 and 8 ME firmware. :P

Yeah, you need some time to get used:) But even more you need to get what guy above did:

He ha 6-th Intel chipset=> used 7-th v. of firmvare=> claims he flashed 8-th v. of ME...

Guy must work for Intel I would say:D

Yeah, you need some time to get used:) But even more you need to get what guy above did:

He ha 6-th Intel chipset=> used 7-th v. of firmvare=> claims he flashed 8-th v. of ME...

Guy must work for Intel I would say:D

Desktop 6 series chipsets directly support ME8. ME8 was designed to run on 6 series by intel so that they could use IVB CPUs. When ME8 came out though at least some desktop motherboard BIOSes needed to be modified to properly run ME8. Clevo is about the last vendor I expected to have a BIOS that directly supports ME8. I also thought that the compatibility might not exist at all since supposedly IVB cannot run no matter what you do on 6 series. greg87 can test if this is true or not...

Also is turbo boost still working? If not that means the ME FW is actually dead. 6 series chipsets are supposed to be capable of running without a ME FW, but many things won't work right.

I flashed me8 on my msi 16f2 after the desolder chip - program with read and write access - resolder, i changed a few things in FITC first., I had to flash back as the system was very laggy and it took forever to boot into windows. But the computer worked and BIOS stated the me version was 8 something.

I flashed me8 on my msi 16f2 after the desolder chip - program with read and write access - resolder, i changed a few things in FITC first., I had to flash back as the system was very laggy and it took forever to boot into windows. But the computer worked and BIOS stated the me version was 8 something.

Did the ME actually run? The easiest way to tell is if turbo boost works or not. Also did you try to reinstall anything to fix the lag?

Did the ME actually run? The easiest way to tell is if turbo boost works or not. Also did you try to reinstall anything to fix the lag?

I'm not sure, my guess is it didn't, if it did it sure didn't run well. I never checked if turbo boost worked or not, I didn't try anything to fix it really, I just flashed back as soon as I could. I might try this again but without changing any bits in the firmware.

Edit: Flashed ME 8 again but it isn't recognized this time, there's no lag this time tho.