Lets enable overclocking on all 6 and 7 series laptops

So, I have been reading around, and it seems that SOME laptops can be upgraded from a Sandy to a Ivy, I have an N53SM as my work horse and a couple extra N53SM boards, and well, I had to try..

After changing the VBIOS and the microcode to support an i7-3630qm, after doing that the board does "boot" and stays turned on, but there is no image, from what I have searched the HD4000 needs the GoP modules, so I think its a no go to ever have an Invy Bridge working with an HM65 chipset, right?

• 4 weeks later...

@senso

Nice. It sounds like if the integrated graphics is not necessary (dGPU with direct screen access) that the laptop would work fine?

I find in interesting that Ivy needs a microcode update to run. Sandy Bridge CPUs did not and worked without any microcode update. Without an update Sandy's temp sensors were erratic and x87 performance was poor, but they did run.

• 4 weeks later...

Sooo I decided to fiddle with BCLK OC on my Haswell-based Lenovo Y50 and I've managed to unlock the ME to enable the slider in Intel XTU. I'm attaching the one I've created, you can use BCLK from 90 to 120, either set it using BIOS or XTU.

Now, to my overclocking results, I've got a mind-blowing 0.5236Mhz increase, which equals about 0.5% of performance increase. Great stuff worth every minute I spent on it.

Actually, it's probably because I'm using the pre-installed Ramaxel RAM, which is just bad.

fr7uGvk.jpg

lenovoy5070me.bin

6 minutes ago, Ultrax5 said:

Sooo I decided to fiddle with BCLK OC on my Haswell-based Lenovo Y50 and I've managed to unlock the ME to enable the slider in Intel XTU. I'm attaching the one I've created, you can use BCLK from 90 to 120, either set it using BIOS or XTU.

Now, to my overclocking results, I've got a mind-blowing 0.5236Mhz increase, which equals about 0.5% of performance increase. Great stuff worth every minute I spent on it.

Actually, it's probably because I'm using the pre-installed Ramaxel RAM, which is just bad.

fr7uGvk.jpg

lenovoy5070me.bin

It sounds like you probably missed enabling some clock dividers. I'll take a look later today.

5 minutes ago, Khenglish said:

It sounds like you probably missed enabling some clock dividers. I'll take a look later today.

Nah, actually after reducing memory frequency to 1333Mhz(can't change timings) it allowed me to set 103Mhz BCLK and pass a few minutes of Prime95. I haven't tried increasing it more, but I'm pretty sure it overclocks exactly as it should.

1 hour ago, Ultrax5 said:

Nah, actually after reducing memory frequency to 1333Mhz(can't change timings) it allowed me to set 103Mhz BCLK and pass a few minutes of Prime95. I haven't tried increasing it more, but I'm pretty sure it overclocks exactly as it should.

Sounds good. Most people can get around 105MHz.

4 minutes ago, EDk-TheONE said:

@Ultrax5

Could you mod my ME.bin?

here is my me: https://www.sendspace.com/file/ljxzkw

i used fptw64 with switch -ME.

i flashed your me but my notebook to turn on lately and notice that your mod and my ME has different size.

jkcwkzupbm2wgfrbeulj.png

Just flash it, ME isn't tied to particular laptop. Yes, it's smaller than the flash size(probably lacks the padding or sth), but it flashes fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

After a day of "experimenting" and nearly bricking my laptop I'm quite confused with the BCLK stuff.

One time I seem to be able to get 104Mhz, then 100.5 hard crashes the laptop. Is there a thing I'm missing or it just behaves like that on Hsw chipsets?

21 hours ago, EDk-TheONE said:

@Ultrax5

i flashed your me it but there is no slider for BCLK.

hv0t59ioc540m1oie9hl.jpg

Now, I found my Southbridge is HM86 so it is not contain some feature such as BCLK Overclocking. I think your chip-set must be HM87.

Southbridge should not matter. Reinstall XTU.

10 minutes ago, Ultrax5 said:

After a day of "experimenting" and nearly bricking my laptop I'm quite confused with the BCLK stuff.

One time I seem to be able to get 104Mhz, then 100.5 hard crashes the laptop. Is there a thing I'm missing or it just behaves like that on Hsw chipsets?

That is odd. Sometimes memory can hold back BCLK. What is your memory?

21 hours ago, Ultrax5 said:

Just flash it, ME isn't tied to particular laptop. Yes, it's smaller than the flash size(probably lacks the padding or sth), but it flashes fine.

Most laptops actually are tied. Even individual laptops of the same model often do not have compatible ME FW. The only exception I have found is Clevo. Dell and HP are definitely tied. I don't know about Lenovo.

Edited by Khenglish

30 minutes ago, Khenglish said:

Southbridge should not matter. Reinstall XTU.

That is odd. Sometimes memory can hold back BCLK. What is your memory?

Most laptops actually are tied. Even individual laptops of the same model often do not have compatible ME FW. The only exception I have found is Clevo. Dell and HP are definitely tied. I don't know about Lenovo.

I'm using 2 4GB Ramaxel 1600Mhz CL11 sticks. Lowering the frequency seemed to help, but after messing around with the BCLK I can say it is working the same way like on 1600Mhz - it's just a lottery.

And maybe I wasn't too clear about the ME being tied to a particular laptop. I meant that if user A has a laptop A and user B also has a laptop A, their ME's are identical. 

Actually there are 2 Lenovo Y50-70 revisions, one has i7 4710MQ CPU and the other one has an i7 4720HQ.  It seems like the first one uses HM86 chipset, and the second one runs on HM87. They use the same BIOS packages and they share ME, but as it turns out, one can have its BCLK unlocked, and the other one can't.

40 minutes ago, Ultrax5 said:

I'm using 2 4GB Ramaxel 1600Mhz CL11 sticks. Lowering the frequency seemed to help, but after messing around with the BCLK I can say it is working the same way like on 1600Mhz - it's just a lottery.

And maybe I wasn't too clear about the ME being tied to a particular laptop. I meant that if user A has a laptop A and user B also has a laptop A, their ME's are identical. 

Actually there are 2 Lenovo Y50-70 revisions, one has i7 4710MQ CPU and the other one has an i7 4720HQ.  It seems like the first one uses HM86 chipset, and the second one runs on HM87. They use the same BIOS packages and they share ME, but as it turns out, one can have its BCLK unlocked, and the other one can't.

We've also found ME FW to contain data specific to each laptop. For example on an E6430 you cannot take a raw ME FW from one laptop and flash it on another. Each laptop needs to have its soecific ME FW dump modified.

On 2016. 03. 18. at 10:40 AM, UDPSendToFailed said:

I have tested, its working. :) And.. How to edit the ME firmware? FITC creates a corrupt image. 

Also i have unlocked the BIOS, so i can read/write all regions.

Edit: I have tried to replace 00 33 1A 01 with 00 34 1A 01 in BIOS file with a hex editor, and flashed it with SPI, the laptop won't post. So i will give up overclocking CPU. Can i OC the IGP some way? And how can i patch the DSDT in BIOS?

Can someone help me? :) I just need IGP overclock.

I came into three "industrial" motherboards, AIMB-272 QM67 chipset, 6-series ME7.x. I remember reading somewhere the FITC for ME7 is bugged? Is this also true for the 5mb variant as well? I have three of these so no biggie if it bricks, just wanted to first confirm that 6-series FITC produces corrupted FW images before I invest time into manually modding it in hex.

Odd how it's not enabled by default, almost all of the necessary values in FITC are already set except for two values.

On 8/9/2016 at 4:07 AM, UDPSendToFailed said:

I discovered a workaround for those trying this on a 6-series chipset:

1. Download HxD
  2. Open the ocme.bin from the OP in FITC
  3. Go here and change Number of Flash Components to zero Untitled.png
  4. After doing that, tap f5 to build it and leave FITC opened.
  5. Locate outimage.bin which will either be in the root directory of FITC or in a folder called ocme or Build. Once found, rename it and copy it to another location, I'll call this OC.bin
  6. Open another instance of FITC with your ME FW dump, let's call this me.bin
  7. Go back to the previous FITC instance (ocme.bin) and change all of its settings to match me.bin
  8. Build the image, locate the new outimage.bin (same location as before), verify it is the one you just changed by looking at the timestamp and rename it to original.bin
  9. Open original.bin and OC.bin in HxD, tap CTRL + K and then enter, this will compare the two images and highlight each different bit which coorresponds to the changes made in FITC (converted into little endian but you don't need to know that). You can use F6 to cycle to the next difference or Shift + F6 for the previous difference
  10. Open your me.bin in HxD.
  11. Proceed to carefully change ONLY the bits which are different between original.bin and OC.bin. DO NOT change it according to the line number/bit location because they will never be aligned.
  12. Instead, locate a series of 3-4 bits around the target difference and use CTRL + F to find the same series of bits in me.bin, then change the necessary bit accordingly to match the value in OC.bin
  13. After you're done, save the file and flash using FPT. 
Edited by blowntaha

Yes, i have tried this, just the simple way, so 0x00011A33 in little endian format is 00 33 1A 01, 0x00011A34 is 00 34 1A 01... HxD finds two 00 33 1A 01 in it, have tried editing first, second, and both, still won't post when flash... Opening the edited file in FITC, it shows the change from 0x00011A33 to 0x00011A34 when i change the second at position 27C89. I give this up, IGP overclock is impossible,  CPU is not important for me.

meorig.bin

Edited by UDPSendToFailed

• Bios Modder
On 09.08.2016 at 0:07 PM, UDPSendToFailed said:

If you need only IGP overclock, then try do it directly in bios via AMIBCP.

On 8/28/2016 at 6:53 AM, UDPSendToFailed said:

Yes, i have tried this, just the simple way, so 0x00011A33 in little endian format is 00 33 1A 01, 0x00011A34 is 00 34 1A 01... HxD finds two 00 33 1A 01 in it, have tried editing first, second, and both, still won't post when flash... Opening the edited file in FITC, it shows the change from 0x00011A33 to 0x00011A34 when i change the second at position 27C89. I give this up, IGP overclock is impossible,  CPU is not important for me.

meorig.bin

An easy way is to look at the surrounding bits to see if they are the same when modifying me.bin

For example, when you find the bit differences when comparing the two images you built in FITC, your me.bin should have similar looking values surrounding the change. Searching for 3 bits is not specific enough. Try searching for a series of 5 consecutive bits in the line above or below the value you want to change. 

Also, you don't need to worry about coverting into little endian because that can get confusing and make u wanna pull ur hair out lol

Edited by blowntaha

3 minutes ago, blowntaha said:

An easy way is to look at the surrounding bits to see if they are the same when modifying me.bin

For example, when you find the bit differences when comparing the two images you built in FITC, your me.bin should have similar looking values surrounding the change. Searching for 3 bits is not specific enough. Try searching for a series of 5 consecutive bits in the line above or below the value you want to change. 

Tried your solution, same problem, won't post, just running fan with black screen.

16 hours ago, Klem said:

If you need only IGP overclock, then try do it directly in bios via AMIBCP.

It has InsydeH2O bios. 

I think if i overclock, the performance won't increase too much on a laptop, so i give up, thanks for help. :P Voltage changing is impossible, the stability is more important than +2-4FPS in games... :/

Edited by UDPSendToFailed

56 minutes ago, UDPSendToFailed said:

Tried your solution, same problem, won't post, just running fan with black screen.

It has InsydeH2O bios. 

I think if i overclock, the performance won't increase too much on a laptop, so i give up, thanks for help. :P Voltage changing is impossible, the stability is more important than +2-4FPS in games... :/

I'm using a mini-ITX mobo with a sandy bridge 2720QM CPU, w/ +3.4 MHz I got a +200-300 higher 3dmark11 bench. If BCLK control is what you're aiming for then you have to change the clock range definition record in addition to the hex bit you mentioned above. FYI, on my mobo when I flash a modded ME FW matching the clock range definition record from ocme.bin in OP, I also have issues with booting (stuck at splash logo screen). Khenglish suggested I change 0x0180 to 0x0800 in DIV2 for sandy bridge, after doing that change I was able to successfully boot; although, I have to turn off and turn on several times before I can get it to POST. This is probably the value that needs tinkering with for an ideal FW.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: I did it! I changed all the needed variables in the ME Firmware (looked in the pdf file) and now I can change the blck slider. Thanks!

Could anybody help me with me ME Image? I tried to unlock OC for my 8470p, but it didn't worked (black screen) so I flashed per SPI my backup in. So maybe someone can help me with it and maybe also unlock the flash descriptor?

Btw:

I dumped the file using an raspberry pi and flashrom :-)

Thanks,

Georg

Edited by freeweber
worked :)