HP Elitebook 2560P Owner's Lounge [version 2.0]

Welcome to the 2560P Owner's Lounge! A place to liase with other owners and share useful tips/tricks/mods to get the most satisfying user experience from this exceptional ultraportable notebook.

Release date: 9 May 2011
Ffwdj36.jpg

VOHwsLq.jpg
gejHiwv.jpg 3j73hrj.jpg

Reviews/Comparisons: laptopmag, NBR, pcworld. 

72353d1320573574-hp-elitebook-2560p-owne

Spoiler
  • There is no other ultraportable that could offer the feature set and price a s/h 2560P had which is why I went it over any other systems. Here's a comparison against the next closest contender, a Lenovo X220:

•  
  • + 1. price: I got it for US$700. Seems everyone knows they are a bit heavy so they are a s/h bargain when they rarely make an appearance on ebay. X220 prices have, on the other hand, been steadily increasing. I could not get a i5-25xx X220 unit for < US$800 nor have there been any recent vouchers to bring the price down.

+ 2. CPU upgradability: a 2560P doesn't have a soldered CPU whereas other 12-13" such as a X220 and Dell E6220/E6320, Toshiba R830/R840 use soldered CPUs. a i7-quad has been installed in a 2560P here. So a 2560P is one of the smallest Series-6 system that can be upgraded to a i7-quad. 

+3. CPU upgradability - Ivy Bridge: 22nm Ivy Bridge CPUs may also be an upgrade option either with a hacked bios or a 2570P systemboard swap out. They will deliver more performance, lower power consumption and increased battery life yet again. REF: Ivy Bridge CPU retrofit for 2560P?

+ 4. looks good: Upon handling a X220 I also had some reservations about it's looks and build quality. It felt cheaper than the Elitebooks I'm used to. For this very same reason I previously acquired a 2530P over a Lenovo X200. Also, a X220 doesn't have two real mouse buttons on the trackpad. Looks are subjective with Lenovo affectionados advocating Thinkpad understated looks. A 2560P in included in laptopmag's Oct 2011 ten-best looking laptops list.

+ 5. more flexible storage: 9.5mm 2.5" HDD + 9.5mm 2.5" SSD can be installed where the optical drive is swapped out with a caddy. A X220 has as stock, a 7mm 2.5" primary and a mSATA/WWAN slot. Using it's mSATA slot makes it's internal WWAN inaccessible. The maximum capacity for internal storage on a X220 being 500MB (7mm 2.5 HDD) + 128GB mSATA. A 2560P can have a 1TB 9.5mm 2.5" HDD + 512MB 2.5" SSD or 2x1TB HDDs with the WWAN slot available. [Advanced]: the 2560P's e-sata port could technically be tapped internally to mod in a mSATA SSD in some available space so could have 3 internal drives.

EDIT: A X220 can have a 9.5mm drive installed in it's primary drive bay if some parts are filed down. Then it can accomodate up to 1GB here. See LastSilmaril comment.

+ 6. higher performance storage: can do RAID-0 across a SATA-III primary 2.5" SSD/HDD and one in the upgrade bay as noted to effectively double throughput. <-- Not yet, can only do RAID-1. Requesting HP do enable RAID-0 via a bios update as described.

+ 7. warranty: HP's standard 3yr next-day onsite global warranty is the best in the industry. It gives excellent business continuity across the planet.

- 8. portability: a X220 wins over the 2560P in weight: 3.2lbs versus 4.24lbs. Replacing the 2560P's ODD with a space saver pares that back to 4.02lbs. 

- 9. no unwhitelisted bios: A whitelist-removed modded bios for the X220 exists so can use non-Lenovo wifi/WWAN cards. Pro modders have tried to do the same for the 2560P here but have been unsuccessful.

- 10. X220's IPS LCD option: nothing similar offered by the 2560P. A IPS LCD giving excellent viewing angles. Consider too, if you want higher level of privacy and lower power consumption then you don't want an IPS LCD.

Other contenders

A third contender - a Toshiba R830 provides features 3, 4, 5, 7 but loses on the critical 1 and 2. Upon physically examining it, the position of the expresscard slot under the optical drive raises some concerns for DIY eGPU connectivity and I questioned it's durability. A Dell E6220/E6320 was also evaluated but they too have soldered CPUs and their look wasn't to my taste. Their hinge-forward design looks awkward.

Ultrabooks, while thinner and lighter use slower and non-upgradeable ULV CPUs and of course have no expresscard slot. 

Wishlist for next 25x0P: lighter, thinner and better expandability - can be accomplished by going mSATA/ 7.5mm HDDs/7mm optical drives. An IPS/900P LCD option, dedicated PGUP and PGDN keys, a backlit keyboard, native USB 3.0 (IVB has it!), Thunderbolt port(s), Boston Power battery cells, use a socketted CPU bringing it up to date with latest tech. Using a 2530P and 2560P back to back highlights the 2530P still being HP's best ultraportable chassis to date due to the 16:10 LCD, great keyboard and noticably lower weight. Going back to a 2530P feels like when 16:10 LCDs replaced 4:3 ones, the 2530P looks squarer.

Spoiler
  •  
2510P, 2530P, 2540P, 2560P differences

Item/Owner's Lounge 2510P 2530P 2540P 2560P
unwhitelisted bios yes yes no no
PLL/overclocking ICS9LPRS355/yes ICS9LPRS397/yes no no
LED-backlit LCD 12.1" 1280x800 12.1" 1280x800 12.1" 1280x800 12.5" 1366x768
primary/optical bay 1.8" ZIF/pata 1.8" usata/sata 1.8" usata/sata 2.5" sata/sata
CPU/chipset 65nm Merom/965GM 45nm Penryn/GS45 32nm Arrandale/QM57 32nm Sandy Bridge/QM67
FSB Mhz U7x00/L7700 533/800 U9x00/L9x00 800/1066 1066 1333
Graphics x3100 4500MHD Intel HD HD3000
no of RAM slots single channel (1) dual channel (2) dual channel (2) dual channel (2)
RAM DDR2-667 DDR2-800 DDR3-1333@1066 DDR3-1333
Wifi 4965AGN 5100AGN 6200AGN 6205AGN
expansion slot PCMCIA+mPCIe expresscard 1.0+mPCIe expresscard 1.0+mPCIe expresscard 2.0+mPCIe
WWAN-ready yes yes yes yes
webcam and nightlight no, consider mod yes - on some models yes yes
Displayport/HDMI no no, consider DIY eGPU yes/no yes/no
USB ports (+ODD caddy) 2 2+1 3+1 3
native e-sata no no no yes
keyboard traditional traditional semi-chiclet island
Bootable SD card? no yes yes yes
Weight with 6-cell+ODD 1.63kgs/3.59lbs 1.70kgs/3.75lbs 1.81kgs/3.99lbs 1.92/4.24lbs

2510P/2530P/2540P HP Accessory List shows shareable accessories between 25xxP units.

COL=undersirable features of the series.

• HP 2560P vs Lenovo X220 (butwhyme)
  • HP 2560P vs Lenovo X220 vs other ultraportables/ultrabooks (spoiler below - Tech Inferno Fan)
  • HP 2560P vs 2530P (butwhyme)
  • HP 2560P vs 2540P vs 2530P vs 2510P (spoiler below - Tech Inferno Fan)

Customized 2560P systems (ordered by approx additional expense spent)

Owner
Storage
Other Mods
2.5" sata bay
sata optical bay/2.5" caddy
External
Tech Inferno Fan ssd: 128GB MDS Bullet Proof
hdd: 500GB/newmodeus
- DC_optimized, GTX560Ti DIY eGPU
SimoxTav ssd: ???
hdd: 250GB/ebay
- i7-2630QM, GTX560Ti DIY eGPU, 8GB RAM
vnwhite ssd: 256MB Crucial C300
hdd: 750GB/ebay
- DC_optimized, i7-2820QM, 6300AGN, 8GB 1866MHz RAM

RED - highest performance setup | GREEN - lowest power consumption drive setup (2.5" SSD see here). 

OS, drivers and disassembly 

Drivers, Manuals, Maintenance And Service Guide, Media Services Library with disassembly videos.
Popular HP Notebook Software Collection : one-stop location for the latest versions of popular HP notebook sw.
Win7 OEM sources : the additional HP installation contents added to a Win7 CD.
HP/Compaq Desktop Wallpapers : A compilation of stock wallpapers from the HP and Compaq notebook range
HP DMIFIT 118 Utility: change DMI details, eg: model number, serial, password. Used to tattoo your system in case you replace the systemboard. Usually done by a HP technican.

Storage

Second hotswappable 9.5mm 2.5" HDD/SSD via optical drive bay. 2560P examples: ebay (SimoxTav) or newmodeus. 
e-sata/usb cable or enclosure, useful for external e-sata storage. Eg: convert optical drive to be external unit

Expansion

USB 3.0: add a US$15-delivered USB 3.0 expresscard.
DIY eGPU: to attach a desktop videocard via expressport. Provides HDMI/DVI and accelerated graphics. 
WWAN/WIFI card whitelist: the WWAN/WIFI cards the 2560P bios will bootup with.
Ivy Bridge CPU retrofit for 2560P?: proposed method to get ME 8.x firmware onto a 2560P for Ivy Bridge CPU support.

Tweaks

Flashing F.01 bios to a 2560P : to regain 1866Mhz RAM support removed in subsequent versions. Includes details on other hacks.
F.28 or newer BIOS removes RAM frequency limit. Can use 1866Mhz RAM at full speed.
HPFancontrol: set custom (quieter) fan profile confimed to work on a 2560P by pejx
Performance: running 1600, 1866 or 2133Mhz DDR3 RAM in a 2560p : gain up to 54%/10% single-channel/dual-channel HD3000 performance.
DC_optimized: optimize the system to maximize battery life, idling at 4.7-5.2W!! Done with more sophistication by vnwhite &.
Enabling third-button mouse click scrolling with touchstyk
Dual-channel RAM: increases WEI RAM and video (1x4GB vs 2x4GB)
How to enable Upgrade Bay Hard Drive boot: so can hit F9 at bios screen then boot off an optical bay caddy HDD or SSD.
Disconnect upgrade bay caddy diagnostic pin: allows the system to fully shutdown rather than hang with a black screen.

Misc

Retrofitting webcam to non-webcam models : in case you have a non-webcam model.
Backlit keyboard mod: HP Folio 13 backlit keyboard retrofit??
EliteBook NightLight mod: increase the brightness/spread of the nightlight by removing the diffuser.
Obtaining an expresscard blank: if lost or damaged yours. Replacement comes with an optical drive weight saver. 
FAQ about optical drive space saver: can it's faceplate be used on other ODDs or a caddy? Answer: no/maybe. 

Schematic - Inventec_Styx_MV.pdf (aka HP Elitebook 2560P). The block diagram summary is below:

STYX.png

• Thumbs Up 7

• 2 months later...
Can we use KZ-B21 PCI Express Extender (KZ-B21 (Flexible x1 PCI Express Extender)) as a riser of sorts?

Haven't tested it to confirm. Can't see it being a problem if running pci-e 1.x (PE4 2.4 or PE4L 1.5) . pci-e 2.x (PE4L 2.1b) might be more problematic as introducing more edge connectors diminishes signal integrity.

If you were thinking of getting the riser to give more cable length then consider that a PE4L 2.1b can be purchased in longer 100, 150 and 200cm lengths.

• 2 weeks later...
Nando, what is the highest CPU in the Sandy Bridge series we can upgrade to? 2860QM? 2960XM? I am not sure how to determine what s compatible and what isn't outside of the series (Sandy Bridge).

The Sandy Bridge series has i7-2xxxx in the name. The 2 stands for 2nd-gen i-core. Fastest 2nd-gen i-core is a i7-2960XM. No point in getting such a XM CPU with unlocked multipliers since HP lock the multipliers down. Additionally, it's a 55W CPU which will present cooling issues when running at full load.

So then, the fastest CPU within the thermal limits of the 2560P would be a 45W i7-2820QM/i7-2860QM. Ensure you repaste with a quality TIM (MX4, Shin-Etsu) to keep temps under TjMax. The factory-specced 2560P CPUs are all rated at 35W TDP.

• 5 months later...

today I tried to fit original keyboard from 2170p (with backlit) with 2560p but they are incompatible. Different screw sockets, different number of screw (4 in 2170p and 3 in 2560p), additional power supply for backlit and twisted main cable from keyboard.

Here You have pics:

imag0927od.th.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

today I tried to fit original keyboard from 2170p (with backlit) with 2560p but they are incompatible. Different screw sockets, different number of screw (4 in 2170p and 3 in 2560p), additional power supply for backlit and twisted main cable from keyboard.

Here You have pics:

imag0927od.th.jpg

Thank you for posting this info. This and a 1080P (eg: XPS12) or IPS (X220/X230) LCD mods are things I was curious about.

The keyboard screw positions can be dealt with to some degree by removing them and applying double sided tape. The backlit connector, you just need +5V and GND which can be tapped from a USB point or other probed point on the systemboard. REF: Internet Archive Wayback Machine

More importantly, can the ribbon cable be turned around to allow connection to the 2560P kbd connector? If not, can the backlit keyboard layer from the 2170P be transposed onto the 2560P keyboard and so keep the original 2560P ribbon cable?

Thank you for posting this info. This and a 1080P (eg: XPS12) or IPS (X220/X230) LCD mods are things I was curious about.

The keyboard screw positions can be dealt with to some degree by removing them and applying double sided tape. The backlit connector, you just need +5V and GND which can be tapped from a USB point or other probed point on the systemboard. REF: Internet Archive Wayback Machine

More importantly, can the ribbon cable be turned around to allow connection to the 2560P kbd connector? If not, can the backlit keyboard layer from the 2170P be transposed onto the 2560P keyboard and so keep the original 2560P ribbon cable?

I'm afraid that this twisted keyboard tape won't be to flexible to bend it with right direction. Issues wit screw seems to be the simplest.

I can't see ani possibilty to transpose layer from 2170p. It seems to be too integral part of all.

Few hours ago I finished hard work with IPS (LP125WH2-SLB1) implementation in 2560p. I was really determined to do it but it's impossible.

I even tried bend a electric section in IPS to fit it to 2560p frame. Almost whole frame is fitting with IPS but lower section is the problem. Even when I decided to remove 4 from 8 latches from lower part of bezel there still was an issue with lifted panel. When I tried to bring a panell little down, there was insufficient place to mount bezel. Vicious circle.

I realized that the real issue is a electric part od IPS panel. I unglued this panel and tried to remove to the back (like in original 2560p panel) but electric tapes are to short to do it. I gave up :(

Everything on the photos.

imag0960l.th.jpg imag0961c.th.jpg imag0964z.th.jpg imag0965x.th.jpg imag0966n.th.jpg

imag1017.th.jpg imag1018g.th.jpg imag1021c.th.jpg imag1023y.th.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

I tried one more time. Since panel was unable to resend to seller I decided to make last attempt. Panel was totally disassembled! All screws, all glue-tapes, all connectors. I tried bend bezel to make it suitable for 2560p but the connector tape is too short anyway. The only way to put it to 2560p is to set it without metal frame around panel but I reckon it will cause panel instability.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks like hard work with the IPS panel. Maybe the XPS12 1080P panel would have a better chance? 2560P uses a pin40 connector so is likely capable of driving a 1080P panel without distortion.

Back to the keyboard. If you just place the 2170P keyboard so the cable can slot into the connector, does it work? Ie: are the pins compatible? Furthermore, if you remove the screw connectors on the rear, does the keyboard fit into the 2560P chassis perfectly? I had some doubts due to the 2170P edges looking a little more square.

If those two tests pass, then the ribbon cable could be made to fit by removing a section from a 2560P one and attaching it to the 2170P section using wire glue. Details at http://grope.thruhere.net/qube/projects/repairmembrane.html

I use HPFanControl with 2560p. Is it really impossible to set fan rpm's somewhere between 0 and 3200rpm (first level threshold)? X220 is able to run (if I remember correctly) something about three different rpm's levels before 3000 rpm. With 3200rpm 2560p has mean temp. aroun 38/40C so If there would be possibility to set for example 2600 rpm it will cause 5C temp rising. Not bad because still under 50C.

• 5 months later...

I'm looking to get the nightlight diffuser cap and spring as showing in this pic of different model but is almost the same:

post-19480-14494996350297_thumb.jpg

Its attached to the front black bezel, is it possible to get those parts without the bezel?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
I use HPFanControl with 2560p. Is it really impossible to set fan rpm's somewhere between 0 and 3200rpm (first level threshold)? X220 is able to run (if I remember correctly) something about three different rpm's levels before 3000 rpm. With 3200rpm 2560p has mean temp. aroun 38/40C so If there would be possibility to set for example 2600 rpm it will cause 5C temp rising. Not bad because still under 50C.

Allot of fans control settings have this, i was trying the same and came to the conclusion that the only thing that is going to help is to solder a resistance into the cable so it runs slower than it says. The thing with that is the max fan speed will also be lower like that. The program mentionned does help though.

I got my 2560p in the mail today and i'm very happy, my 300 euro's well spend. I've upgraded it to a I7 2630QM and added another ram stick of 2gb to 6gb ram total (and by random luck it was the same ram as installed, same type number and brand just smaller). And ofcourse dropped in my Samsung 840 evo ssd. Didn't do a fresh install so had some problems with nvidia drivers from my old laptop but nothing driver sweeper couldn't fix. Sorta curious how mutch i could ask for it here in Holland in it's upgraded state. There still selling the 2570p's for 1300 euro in its lowest specs.

Idle temps are a bit high though, about 50-53C, used Arctic silver so it does have a burn in but wonder if i could undervolt or tweak the cooling abit.

Allot of fans control settings have this, i was trying the same and came to the conclusion that the only thing that is going to help is to solder a resistance into the cable so it runs slower than it says. The thing with that is the max fan speed will also be lower like that. The program mentionned does help though.

I got my 2560p in the mail today and i'm very happy, my 300 euro's well spend. I've upgraded it to a I7 2630QM and added another ram stick of 2gb to 6gb ram total (and by random luck it was the same ram as installed, same type number and brand just smaller). And ofcourse dropped in my Samsung 840 evo ssd. Didn't do a fresh install so had some problems with nvidia drivers from my old laptop but nothing driver sweeper couldn't fix. Sorta curious how mutch i could ask for it here in Holland in it's upgraded state. There still selling the 2570p's for 1300 euro in its lowest specs.

Idle temps are a bit high though, about 50-53C, used Arctic silver so it does have a burn in but wonder if i could undervolt or tweak the cooling abit.

Congratulations on the purchase. 2560P is a very good system.

There's plenty of cooling and fan quietening mods at http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge.html that can be equally applied to the 2560P. Eg: holey bottom, 42x42x1mm copper shim between CPU and heatsink, 2xdiodes to slow fan down.

Hello fellow 2560p users.

I've been using different quad cores with this laptop and I've noticed that they are all limited by what

seems to be a TDP draw of the CPU, and it's probably set at BIOS (Probably unmodifiable for now, BIOS is RSA signed).

Users of 2570p laptops have noticed the same, but to a lower extent.

The Quad cores I tested are 2630QM (QS) and 2760QM (ES). Most of the time the CPU don't draw

their spec 45W consumption so they are fine most of the time. Like in single threaded applications,

or even up to 6 threads, since it will mostly 3 cores of the 4.

They do try and draw 45W while all the cores are busy, meaning it runs all 4 cores, and of course Turbo is enabled.

Then the CPU tries to draw 45W and the they get limited to about 36W which limits the frequency.

For example my 2630QM should have run at 2.6Ghz on all cores but got limited to just 2.5Ghz if I recall correctly,

which is not so bad. But 2760QM was limited to 2.7Ghz instead of 3.2Ghz!

If you'd like to test your, download the latest Throttlestop, and run TS Bench on 8 threads or more.

When I run that test with 2760QM starts at multi 27x (2.7Ghz) and then as it gets hot throttles down to

2.5Ghz. I don't mind the throttling but I do mind the starting frequency as I can't change that will

stronger cooling methods.

Here's my Throttlestop log file (check the Log file checkbox) at when I started the 32M test. This was taken

with my laptop over an AC unit! So there is no chance of thermal throttling.

2014-01-07 14:44:49 20.49 0.3 100.0 100.0 0 27 1.1959 3.8
2014-01-07 14:44:50 29.62 0.6 100.0 100.0 0 27 1.1959 4.0
2014-01-07 14:44:51 31.48 0.5 100.0 100.0 0 27 1.1959 4.0
2014-01-07 14:44:53 27.07 92.4 100.0 100.0 0 51 1.1259 32.1
2014-01-07 14:44:54 27.00 100.0 100.0 100.0 0 53 1.1208 34.8
2014-01-07 14:44:55 27.00 100.0 100.0 100.0 0 55 1.1208 35.1
2014-01-07 14:44:56 27.00 100.0 100.0 100.0 0 57 1.1259 36.0
2014-01-07 14:44:57 27.00 100.0 100.0 100.0 0 58 1.1208 35.8
2014-01-07 14:44:58 27.00 100.0 100.0 100.0 0 59 1.1208 35.5
2014-01-07 14:44:59 27.00 100.0 100.0 100.0 0 59 1.1208 36.0
2014-01-07 14:45:00 27.00 100.0 100.0 100.0 0 60 1.1208 35.9
2014-01-07 14:45:01 27.00 100.0 100.0 100.0 0 61 1.1208 35.6
2014-01-07 14:45:02 27.00 100.0 100.0 100.0 0 61 1.1208 35.7
2014-01-07 14:45:02 27.00 100.0 100.0 100.0 0 62 1.1208 36.3
2014-01-07 14:45:04 27.00 100.0 100.0 100.0 0 61 1.1208 35.8
2014-01-07 14:45:04 27.12 38.8 100.0 100.0 0 39 1.2109 20.5
2014-01-07 14:45:05 13.63 0.2 100.0 100.0 0 34 1.2109 3.8
2014-01-07 14:45:06 32.79 0.2 100.0 100.0 0 34 1.2109 3.7
2014-01-07 14:45:07 32.71 0.2 100.0 100.0 0 33 1.1959 3.8
2014-01-07 14:45:08 31.86 0.2 100.0 100.0 0 33 1.1959 3.7

Rightmost column is TDP Draw, third from left is the frequency multiplier.

As you can see it starts at 27x (x~100Mhz BCLK clock) instead of spec 32x for 4Cores (4C).

If you'd like to see what your 45W Quad core supposed to run at, visit this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge#Mobile_processors

@vnwhite @SimoxTav @Malloot

Can you test yours, and possbile produce a similar log?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...

well i just bought this amazing laptop almost mint on craiglist in nyc yesterday, a birthda present to myself ....im here to learn the most painless upgrade path

i plan on popping an expresscard 34 either a flush mount usb3.0 or a secong sd slot also flush mount

upping the memory to at least 8 gb [ in that the max ?]

swapping the HD to a 512 ssdor a 1 tb ssd

i see a lighted keyboard isnt in the future

anyway hi to anyone reading this .....although this laptop is years old , its condition and build and clean desigh makes it seem as if its a current product

cheers , paul in nyc

well i just bought this amazing laptop almost mint on craiglist in nyc yesterday, a birthda present to myself ....im here to learn the most painless upgrade path

i plan on popping an expresscard 34 either a flush mount usb3.0 or a secong sd slot also flush mount

upping the memory to at least 8 gb [ in that the max ?]

swapping the HD to a 512 ssdor a 1 tb ssd

i see a lighted keyboard isnt in the future

anyway hi to anyone reading this .....although this laptop is years old , its condition and build and clean desigh makes it seem as if its a current product

cheers , paul in nyc

Congratulations on your new acquisition. A HP 2560P is a great machine. A 2570P is even better since it has native USB 3.0, faster iGPU, supports the faster and more efficient 22nm Ivy Bridge CPUs (important if upgrading to a i7-quad), has RAID-0 capabilities and supports non-HP wifi cards. A 2570P is often available for little more than a 2560P on ebay. It's capabilities and modding potential are both well documented at http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge.html .

A HP 2570P is one of the best notebooks made in the last couple of years which when upgraded can give workstation performance. HP now providing the exclusive and pricey Haswell ZBook 14/15/17 range to give that level of performance.

• 4 months later...

Hi there,

does 2560p support mSATA drive in its WWAN slot (or any other mPCIe slot on the board)?

Thanks!

BTW Nando4, I'll be getting i7-2860QM for my recently purchased 2560p, if you're still on lookout for potential testers of this particular CPU (according to the 3-year old thread on NBR) I can get into it :star:

Hi there,

does 2560p support mSATA drive in its WWAN slot (or any other mPCIe slot on the board)?

Thanks!

BTW Nando4, I'll be getting i7-2860QM for my recently purchased 2560p, if you're still on lookout for potential testers of this particular CPU (according to the 3-year old thread on NBR) I can get into it :star:

no mSATA on a 2560P. Since you were considering getting a 2570P systemboard, I'd suggest you have a browse of http://forum.techinferno.com/throttlestop-realtemp-discussion/6958-haswell-step-backwards-ivy-bridge-i-have-some-shocking-tdp-results.html#post95181 before spending any large $$ on the Sandy Bridge i7-quad CPU. A Ivy Bridge runs 10-14W more efficiently at the same multipler. We see that means a i7-3740QM can run 800Mhz faster (30%) than a i7-2670M (3.5Ghz vs 2.7Ghz) at 4-core load.

If you do decide to go for the i7-2860QM, then yes, would like to see how high multi it can hit under the TS-bench 4-core/8-thread load.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, Ivy might be more efficient, but that would mean spending an additional $229 for 2570p board and about $279 for quad CPU which is totally not worth it considering only 15% gain in speed and 25% gain in efficiency, nor does it matter for my usage.

I got 2860QM for just $170 so it's all the way good investment, and it's still fast enough to "compete" with my i7-4770K Haswell equipped desktop.

Average Passmark score for 2860QM is 7200, my desktop has 8500, so still great result. I'm expecting to hit native x25 multiplier with 25-28W consumption, Turbo off all the time.

2570p is nowhere to be found here in Europe, and if so far from regular $400. I found a seller with numerous 2560p who let me choose the best one in excellent condition with AU Optronics screen and battery in good condition (50Wh out of 55) for total price $410.

So with 16GB RAM, i7-2860QM and additional genuine 100Wh battery, for less than $700, not bad price.

I realize that sometimes our ego needs to have the best out of the best, but here the money involved killed the case. However in the future when the prices drop, then I won't have to buy 2570p, just switch MB and that's it. :peaceful:

Yes, Ivy might be more efficient, but that would mean spending an additional $229 for 2570p board and about $279 for quad CPU which is totally not worth it considering only 15% gain in speed and 25% gain in efficiency, nor does it matter for my usage.

I got 2860QM for just $170 so it's all the way good investment, and it's still fast enough to "compete" with my i7-4770K Haswell equipped desktop.

Average Passmark score for 2860QM is 7200, my desktop has 8500, so still great result. I'm expecting to hit native x25 multiplier with 25-28W consumption, Turbo off all the time.

2570p is nowhere to be found here in Europe, and if so far from regular $400. I found a seller with numerous 2560p who let me choose the best one in excellent condition with AU Optronics screen and battery in good condition (50Wh out of 55) for total price $410.

So with 16GB RAM, i7-2860QM and additional genuine 100Wh battery, for less than $700, not bad price.

I realize that sometimes our ego needs to have the best out of the best, but here the money involved killed the case. However in the future when the prices drop, then I won't have to buy 2570p, just switch MB and that's it. :peaceful:

Thank you for noting your experience in Europe. There it does appear the 2560P is much better value for money.

In other markets such as the the US, it's usually not much more to get a 2570P. At least it used to be.. 2570P systems are getting harder to come by on ebay-US these days.

If you do stumble on a 2570P for a good price then it makes sense to grab it for it's it's better performance feature set (lighter - no LCD hooks, USB 3.0, IVY+RAID-0 support).

Though USB 3.0 can be added to a 2560P using a ~US$10 AKE expresscard off ebay.

• Thumbs Up 1

Those are neat features indeed, though I wouldn't call USB 3.0 an advantage. In fact I'm glad 2560p doesn't have one. It presents numerous compatibility problems with audio intefaces and USB sound cards, especially when using WinXP (yet it happens even with Win7)

Performance is not the most important factor in a 12" laptop for me. That's why I chose 2530p over Thinkpad x220 and didn't have any regrets. While 2530p is a bit older, it outperformed x220 in almost every field apart from performance.

Better soundcard (true 24bit), better screen (PWM regulation which hurts eyes like hell, Lenovo still hasn't fixed that), 16:10 ratio, better keyboard, equippable with 2 HDDs, lower power consumption, standard 12-hour charge for 9-cell (x220 had 4 hours), better touchpad and trackpoint.

So it's not just about performance

But now, I'd never grab any laptop with LED LG or Samsung screen, no matter it's price or performance. Both panels are very cool, has unnatural green tint to them and are very fatiguing to look at, IPS or not.

AUO is by far the best. Warm colours, about 5200K, slightly red, but I'm OK with that. Excellent contrast, no PWM flicker (VERY important), and acceptable viewing angles.

• Thumbs Up 1