Repasting jobs

Commy1

So who out there has taken the initiative and scrapped the toothpaste off their CPU's and GPU's?

I did mine a couple of months ago, replacing it with Arctic Silver 5, because I couldn't get ahold of IC Diamond cheaply in Canada..

I have great temps and even better since I turned off Turbo. CPU maxing at 75-80 under 100% load, GPU running unoverclocked at 45-49. OC'd to 700mhz up to 70.

I really wish they would come up with a better way of handling the heat. The copper heat pipes seem extremely inefficient thought I can't see any other way myself, but I'm not the smart inventor guy.

Truth be told im sure one of the Alienware reps can confirm, the paste they are using as of right now is a high quality thermal paste that isnt cheap. It may not have the best thermals on the market but if the job was done good from factory temps are usually really good. The paste has a life which is a lot longer than a large amount of aftermarket pastes. Some of the best under high overclocks and stress can lose their edge after less than 6 months sometimes. My first 2920XM paste job was superb and allowed me to cool it quite well. Its been hard to reproduce that not impossible but hard to do. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Truth be told im sure one of the Alienware reps can confirm, the paste they are using as of right now is a high quality thermal paste that isnt cheap. It may not have the best thermals on the market but if the job was done good from factory temps are usually really good. The paste has a life which is a lot longer than a large amount of aftermarket pastes. Some of the best under high overclocks and stress can lose their edge after less than 6 months sometimes. My first 2920XM paste job was superb and allowed me to cool it quite well. Its been hard to reproduce that not impossible but hard to do. :)

I heard this from the lead Alienware graphics engineer while one a conference call. ;)

Sent from my Samsung Captivate/ICS CM9 via Tapatalk.

• Thumbs Up 3

Using prolimatech pk-1 in M18xR2 and it's already been several weeks. AFAIR right after repasting I got some -5/7*C at heavier load and a few at idle. R2's temps are generally good so to be honest I don't think that repasting matters that much.

What's your laptop, Commy1?

Using prolimatech pk-1 in M18xR2 and it's already been several weeks. AFAIR right after repasting I got some -5/7*C at heavier load and a few at idle. R2's temps are generally good so to be honest I don't think that repasting matters that much.

What's your laptop, Commy1?

Thats what i use now if its not stock paste. I find PK1 better than the more budgeted pastes thermally and near ICD levels without the risk of diamond powder scratching the cpu. I find the price fair as most pastes are a few bucks as is why not get something on the market thats known for good results. I did a repaste job with a 30gram tube of PK1 as payment. Still have plenty even after repasting all my families laptops.

You know on your R2 an XM would definitely warrant improving temps as well if you overclocked your gpu or cpu. I do see what your saying though the new IVY Bridge has large wattage and temperature savings over last gen and tend to need a repaste less because of that.

For the best paste (and i think we all.. or most can agree on this) is IC Diamond (pricey) results are second to none. I recommend soaking the tube of paste in very hot water for about 5min before pasting because its such a thick texture.

-Mike

Yes of course. I saw that in the tests we did on ICD in the ICD test thread here. Theres something hoplesslyfaithful posted and it may top ICD. It is a thermal material but it is not paste. It is called heatspring and is made of a soft metal called Indium. The performance in theory is supposed to be 3-4 times even the performance of ICD. See Hoplesslyfaithfuls thread for more info.

After revewing the link i see this second and scratch my head

PROs: High thermal conductivity - 87w m/k. 19 times higher than ICD. 10 times higher than MX-4. 10 times better than AS-5 (AS-5 is 8.7w m/k????? better than ICD and equal to MX-4????)

I have done comparsions on my machine with OCing, IC Diamond vs MX-4, reguardless of the conductivity, the IC is able to perform better at MAX load than MX-4 (since i can't upload the image even though it is .jpg) view pic in this link below.

If this stuff is good tho, yes ill try it for comparison.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m17x/686358-m17x-r4-heat-reduction-mod.html

After revewing the link i see this second and scratch my head

PROs: High thermal conductivity - 87w m/k. 19 times higher than ICD. 10 times higher than MX-4. 10 times better than AS-5 (AS-5 is 8.7w m/k????? better than ICD and equal to MX-4????)

I have done comparsions on my machine with OCing, IC Diamond vs MX-4, reguardless of the conductivity, the IC is able to perform better at MAX load than MX-4 (since i can't upload the image even though it is .jpg) view pic in this link below.

If this stuff is good tho, yes ill try it for comparison.

M17x R4 heat reduction mod

I think we both have the same thoughts on this. I know as of right now paste wise ICD is the best i have personally applied and used.

Take those claims with a grain of salt. Ill be testing as well as others the Indium. As i state above i have a feeling it is 3-4 times the capability of ICD. The Indium that is. So who knows maybe 30-40 m/k real world use. Companies like to state best case scenario not worst. So we will just have to see results using Indium.

Now when you say capability, do you mean lifespan under heavy load/integrity or a possible -3+ temp drop over ICD or both?

Our thoughts are backed with proof, correct? as a grain of salt lays claim to theory. Either way as of right now ICD is one of the best pastes and i would love to see something better if possible, i'm all for the Indium, and would test this product in a heart beat to compare results on a unlocked non XM chip.

• Thumbs Up 1

Now when you say capability, do you mean lifespan under heavy load/integrity or a possible -3+ temp drop over ICD or both?

Our thoughts are backed with proof, correct? as a grain of salt lays claim to theory. Either way as of right now ICD is one of the best pastes and i would love to see something better if possible, i'm all for the Indium, and would test this product in a heart beat to compare results on a unlocked non XM chip.

Right you know ill belive it when i see it kind of theory. I say take the Indium thermal specs with a grain of salt and belive its as good as they clam when we see proof. I dont know 87m/k sounds feasible on our setups but if it is better than ICD then it should be higher than even 20 m/k to be something we all would notice a difference in. The higher capability probably would have to do with all those factors you mentione. I personally have a main interest in only the immediate heavy load 1hour load temp difference over ICD or in my case Prolimatech PK1.

• 3 weeks later...

I repasted my cpu and gpu with mx-4. While the gpus have been staying 5-9c cooler at idle and load, the cpu has after initially showing benefits has degraded to having constant thermal throttling issues. The fan is clean and there's no clogging of the fins. I am thinking I might need to repasted but I am confused as to why it would degrade after initially being cooler?

This is an alienated m18x r1 2960xm processor running at 4ghz

I repasted my cpu and gpu with mx-4. While the gpus have been staying 5-9c cooler at idle and load, the cpu has after initially showing benefits has degraded to having constant thermal throttling issues. The fan is clean and there's no clogging of the fins. I am thinking I might need to repasted but I am confused as to why it would degrade after initially being cooler?

This is an alienated m18x r1 2960xm processor running at 4ghz

I wouldn't say its a big problem. Its possible you had an air bubble and what happens after the heat is applied a missing area of paste in circles shows up when the paste is now missing in those areas because the air pockets pushed it like that. Just give another attempt at repaste making sure the screws are all applied evenly as you go. See if it still degrades the same. It may take more than one attempt and should last for plenty of time once its right. Your gpus are a good sign of how it should be when its all set good.

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone

I'd like to share my opinion. Actually using IC Diamond and have to tell you- no difference at all compared to the stock tim.

What I mean is 20 minutes of Prime95 blend and Furmark: CPU: 70,72,72,70; GPU 80 Celsius.

I think it is very important factor to mention, ambient temp: in my case it was 21 Celsius.

My thought is that the coolers surface might be not that flat. Will check that with repasting, using more thick layer of ICD. For example this time I applied so thin layer, that the AMD logo on the GPU was easily visible.

What are your thoughts, guys?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I repasted my system with IC Diamond about a month ago. Temperatures are down about 5C at load, my m14x R2 didn't run that hot in the first place so this lowers it down to surprisingly cool territory. I would have just used my old tube of AS5 but it had already separated. I have several systems with AS5 installed on them including a server that has been on 24/7 for 8 years without any important drop in effectiveness.

As long as I don't have to replace the IC Diamond in the next 3-5 years I'm going to use this notebook I'll be happy. Repasting notebooks is a huge pain, i can't believe people have the time to do it on a regular basis. Maybe I'm just getting old.