[M14x R2] - 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

Read this link before continuing:

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/2252-information-about-bios-updates-a07-a08-higher-m14xr2-m17xr4-m18xr2.html

M17x R4 and M18x R2 users already have the possibility to further tweak their systems with the help of a modified bios... so let's not forget about the M14x R2 users :)

Dell has hidden a lot of options in the BIOS of the Alienware M14x R2, the modified BIOS versions here will show you all the hidden menus and allow you to further tweak your system and optimize its performance.

Don't change anything you're not familiar with. There might be functions available which don't work on your system, so use this BIOS with care. It should only be used by advanced users.

In case you mess up and your system refuses to boot after applying the changes you make, remove the AC adapter, battery and coin cell battery in order to clear the non-volatile ram of the BIOS. This should fix most issues.

Believe it or not, creating such mods is rather time-consuming. If you appreciated this work feel free to buy me a beer ;) * Donate *

Download links for the unlocked M14x R2 BIOS versions:

Here some pictures of the most interesting options and menus. Thanks @Mehtaparth94 for providing the pictures!

post-80-14494993616521_thumb.jpg

Flash and use at your own risk.

I don't take any responsibility for any possible damages on your system.

___

post-80-14494993615376_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494993615959_thumb.jpg

M14x_R2_BIOS_A03_-_[unlocked].zip

• Thumbs Up 10

I'll combine it with a modified vbios as soon as possible, need to find time for all those mods.

Not sure what can be done about the throttling, can't do crazy vbios experiments since I don't want to brick any system :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks SVL. I still haven't had time to try this one out. Im using the old one that has the unlocked GPU but stock speed. (which is what i like at the moment). I really need to re-paste the machine before i do too much performance related tests. Thanks for all your hard work. I know everyone appreciates it. I mean who else has the freedom to the GPU's like we do?

Thanks SVL. I still haven't had time to try this one out. Im using the old one that has the unlocked GPU but stock speed. (which is what i like at the moment). I really need to re-paste the machine before i do too much performance related tests. Thanks for all your hard work. I know everyone appreciates it. I mean who else has the freedom to the GPU's like we do?

Totally agree the unlocked VBIOS mod is the best software mod for all m14x R2 users by far. Thats the reason why i cant use your new great unlocked BIOS mod too since it would kill the other great mod of you.

I'll combine it with a modified vbios as soon as possible, need to find time for all those mods.

Not sure what can be done about the throttling, can't do crazy vbios experiments since I don't want to brick any system :)

Cool! We appreciate it! Hope you can do something for the throttling issue.

Btw, Fifa 12 is the only game I can play with stable FPS right now because the gpu temp never reach 67*c with Vsync ON:(

@svl7

Base on the 3rd screenshot at page 1, the "Throttle on Temperature" option is used for CPU only right?

Yeah I am pretty sure that is how it is. The vbios usually has throttle programming for gpus or its built into the EC.

It has a A08 BIOS !! has Some Change in Boot Option in the Bios..

Mine, shipped a couple of weeks ago, has the same A08 firmware (seems wrong to call it a BIOS when it's an EFI firmware :).

The A08 firmware isn't available for download and I can't install the A04 version from Dell. InsydeFlash throws this erorr:

It only suports to flash secure BIOS on current platform.

The image to be updated is not a secure BIOS.

what does an unlocked bios do ? (without sounding like a complete idiot)

Well, there are some menus and setup options in the bios which are hidden by the manufacturer, a so called 'unlocked' BIOS makes them available.

Hey @svl7 just got my New Replacement..

It has a A08 BIOS !! has Some Change in Boot Option in the Bios..

UEFI something like that..

AW has been using UEFI for quite a while now, they might have added uefi boot, which is interesting and nice to have.

Mine, shipped a couple of weeks ago, has the same A08 firmware (seems wrong to call it a BIOS when it's an EFI firmware :).

The A08 firmware isn't available for download and I can't install the A04 version from Dell. InsydeFlash throws this erorr:

It only suports to flash secure BIOS on current platform.

The image to be updated is not a secure BIOS.

Sounds weird, no idea why Dell would go that way... makes things complicated. Maybe because of the upcoming Win8...

AW has been using UEFI for quite a while now, they might have added uefi boot, which is interesting and nice to have.

I figure that's exactly what they did. F12 on my M14x brings up a Boot Manager screen with options for "legacy boot", "network boot" and "UEFI boot" along with options to start the diagnostics partition and system setup.

Sounds weird, no idea why Dell would go that way... makes things complicated. Maybe because of the upcoming Win8...

Seems likely now that you mention it. One of the options on mine is for "Secure Boot" set off since Windows 7 doesn't have a UEFI Secure Boot loader. If Dell starts shipping Windows 8 then that will be enabled but not locked on in order to have the Windows 8 sticker on the palm rest. If they keep Windows 7 as an option (which I fully expect they will given how long Windows XP was available) then that will be disabled for the Windows 7 units.

I figure that's exactly what they did. F12 on my M14x brings up a Boot Manager screen with options for "legacy boot", "network boot" and "UEFI boot" along with options to start the diagnostics partition and system setup.

That's cool, guess that's really new, at least I haven't heard about this in the M14x R2 before.

One of the options on mine is for "Secure Boot" set off since Windows 7 doesn't have a UEFI Secure Boot loader.

So there's now a secure boot option available? Win8 is coming... as you said. I recommend not activating it, it might make it harder to flash a modified uefi. I'm not really sure yet about how exactly secure boot will affect firmware updating, but what I can say is that it definitely doesn't give you the total security, the boot process is still vulnerable, I don't really think it's necessary to have it activated at the moment, it just fixes some old vulnerabilities, but there are still many more holes when it comes to powering on a system.

• Thumbs Up 1

Windows 8 does not require UEFI Secure Boot. The requirement is that it be enabled for systems that ship with Windows 8 when the vendor wants the Windows 8 certification. It isn't required for Windows 8 upgrades although it can be enabled as an option by supported UEFI.

The Secure Boot process is remarkably resistant to tampering. Remember MBR viruses? UEFI Secure Boot makes that impossible since it won't execute a boot loader that isn't correctly signed. The Windows boot loader won't load anything in kernel space that isn't correctly signed. And then the 64-bit kernel won't load unsigned 64-bit drivers. The weakest part of the whole chain is UEFI itself which would explain the signed firmware error I received.

It's probably a good idea to hold off updating to the A08 or later firmware versions (once available) since it appears that going backwards is not permitted.