Alienware fails to install Windows update

Hey guys! I come to you again for help. A couple days ago I was playing Team Fortress 2 (bossin' it up, I might add. XD) when my game completely crashes out...then my whole computer shuts down. When it restarts it goes to the "Preparing to Configure Windows....don't shut down the computer" screen. So I'm sitting here waiting for it to finish and it says "Failure to Configure Update...reverting update...shutting down" Now at this point I am starting to get ticked off. So I then wait another 10 minutes for it to revert and boot back up. Rinse, repeat. The next day a notification keeps popping up saying I have important updates and to restart now. I tell it no, remind me in 4 hours...instant shut down same process as above. Every day.

Last night I went in and manually told it to update...it did it's thing, installing 8 files or whatever. I just turned on my laptop and AGAIN it says "Preparing to Configure Windows....don't shut down the computer" "Failure to Configure Update...reverting update...shutting down" *notification pop up on getting to desktop* "Important Update! Restart now!"

*headdesk* I'm so ticked off. I don't know what to do. I don't know what the hell it is trying to update. I don't know what is making it fail. I just want to be uninterrupted when playing! LOL

Help!

I don't know if you need specs....just in case lol

Intel Core i7 2630QM 2.0GHz, 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Service Pack 1

*EDIT* So I went looking in the Windows Update screen and found the updates that are failing. http://i.imgur.com/Wz52t.png

Wz52tl.png

• Founder

hmm.. not sure what's going on.

Checking event viewer might give you some more clues.

Overall seems like a windows issue, maybe reinstalling would be easier than locating what is the problem... just sayin'.. :D

disable Windows update by typing and enter "services.msc" after pressing start. search for "Windows Update". Double click it and deactivate it.

now go to C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution and delete all files in there. This folder is your temp folder for windows updates.

after deleting everything activate "Windows Update" again and restart your machine.

Check if the error is gone

hmm.. not sure what's going on.

Checking event viewer might give you some more clues.

Overall seems like a windows issue, maybe reinstalling would be easier than locating what is the problem... just sayin'.. :D

LOL Isn't it always a windows problem? XD Checking in the event viewer it says "Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80071a90" for all 8 update files.

disable Windows update by typing and enter "services.msc" after pressing start. search for "Windows Update". Double click it and deactivate it.

now go to C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution and delete all files in there. This folder is your temp folder for windows updates.

after deleting everything activate "Windows Update" again and restart your machine.

Check if the error is gone

Did this. Error is still there. :62: Figured out how to hide the updates. So currently they are hidden until it's figured out. =D

Thanks for replying y'all!

• Founder
LOL Isn't it always a windows problem? XD Checking in the event viewer it says "Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80071a90" for all 8 update files.

No, could be hardware issue too. Not sure bout that error message, tried googling for it?

----

Asylumized!

I had the same issue.

What I did was just install one at a time (in order) until one did not work then did one at a time again starting from the last one.

Maybe took me 2 reboots to install ask 8 updates.

Good luck.

D.

Sent from my ISW11SC using Tapatalk 2

• 2 months later...