What HDD Enclosure should I get?

PeterPower

I've got a Zalman ZM-VE200 which is absolutely awesome. Has eSata + USB2. There's a newer model out now, the ZM-VE300 with USB3 and no eSata though. Best thing about it is that its a normal external enclosure + virtual drive (think hardware version of Daemon-Tools). No more burning ISO's!

Its also able to emulate disks using floppy images and also raw images of hard drives.

edit: Here's a good review that post up transfer speeds comparing the USB3 of the VE300 and eSata of the VE200. Seems pretty even. Downside with the VE200 is that you have to use the USB cable for power in eSata mode.

• Thumbs Up 2

Despite being a bit ugly, this:

Delock > Produkte > Gehäuse > 42488

is probably the best single 2.5" enclosure there is. I mean it has a power in, an one single port that is compatible with USB 3.0, USB 2.0, esata and esatap (power over esata). Only thing really missing is support for really thick drives...but wait! It does have a thicker cousin:

Delock > Produkte > Gehäuse > 42492

and finally, one with an integrated SATA 6GB/s controller.

Delock > Produkte > Gehäuse > 42494

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 year later...

You should aim for USB 3.0 it is wayyyy faster than 2.0, the speed is almost double-ed from my experience.

Yesterday I bought an Enclosure of the brand Ewent. No problems so far and pretty satisfied!

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...