Not really :) It was pain in ass to remove original IC that got destroyed inadventely so now i soldered Wires to points and on other end I have deatachable sop8 adapter with new vbios chip soldered on it so I am ready for any bios you have in your library :)

I am ready now to test any 680m vbios anyone has. I can confirm that sst pm25lv010 chip works just fine. Under is picture of wiring and sop8 adapter with vbios on it that can easily be deatached for programming.

post-5713-14494994995612_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

nice! i may end up doing similar w mine until its working correctly. i got an adapter to make the vbios chip easy to remove n program, but i noticed theres not much room on the board for it. wires seem to be the way to go. plus i really like that you dont have to dissassemble each time to remove the chip. :)

I'm very interested on testing this on an Asus G73SW bst6, apparently no one has 100% confirmed that any gpu mods will work. This post seems very promising though, I'll have to think about it a bit more though.

Did anything ever become of this test with the GTX680? I like my G73JW and would like to keep it and upgrade it. No need to go to another laptop since apparently we will not be pushing beyond 1920x1080 anytime soon (unless I am wrong, and I hope I am).

I have emailed the MXM people and haven't heard anything back in several days. I just ordered the heat sink for the JH to do this swap.

Also, what are now the best CPUs that we can swap out?

I just installed 16Gb (4x4Gb) of Patriot PC3-12800 1600MHz yesterday and I have ordered a 1Tb hybrid and a second 1Tb drive for storage. Trying to get the max bang for my upgrade. Suggestions welcomed.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys I finally installed the 660m which I bought on ebay which was advertised as a 1GB only to find it is the 2GB dell version after the install. It took a bit of work but I was finally able to flash the card with the posted rom and get a driver loaded but the laptop screen wont display anything not even the bios. An external screen works fine when plugged into the VGA. I re-installed the 460m and the internal screen works again. I have now put the 660m back in and I'm thinking that the bios from post #1 is causing the problem which has been mentioned in past posts. Has anyone been able to get a 2GB dell to work with a different bios? Is hard to create a modified bios?

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to contact Kris Verbeeck from MXM Upgrade. Bought the 660 card for 150 euro. Waiting for it to arrive. Buying up everything I need to do this swap out. Let me know if you we're able to upgrade your laptop.

---

I have the G73jw. Going to do the 660m upgrade. Why did you upgrade your RAM? I thought the motherboard could not see more than 8Gb. Does it make difference? If so, I will upgrade RAM also.

I have had no luck being able to get the display to work with the vbios attached to post #1. I am still trying to find someone that can help resolve this issue but nobody seems to have the answer. It seems that the 2GB version requires a different modded bios to the 1GB. I can get an external display up through the vga port but 3Dmark 11 results stay on around 2350 no matter what overclocking I do. Bit weird not sure what is going on there? With the orginal vbios the internal display works on the bios screen then an error comes up, MXM structure invaild, and windows 8 crashes whilst starting up. Wish I could find someone that can sort this out. I am willing to pay.

With the orginal vbios the internal display works on the bios screen then an error comes up, MXM structure invaild, and windows 8 crashes whilst starting up. Wish I could find someone that can sort this out. I am willing to pay.

If you don't mind testing I can fix something for you which might help, but I can't guarantee that it will work... Can you post your stock vbios?

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey svl7 was able to extract the G73JW_Mod_Dell.zip and flash it to the card but unfortunately it has not fixed the issue. Windows 8 still doesn't boot, it crashes when loading. When I switch the G73 on after about 30 secs the ASUS logo appears and I can then enter the bios setup, the same as before. When I save & exit the bios setup (ERROR: Valid MXM structure not found Post haulted for 30 seconds, P-State limited to P10) message no longer appears compared to the orginial bios. Just the count down number from 30 appears which before was at the end of the error message. Not sure what magic you did with the bios you attached in post #1 but it loads windows fine when flashed to the 660m 2GB card, just cant get the screen or overclocking to work. I wish the guy on ebay advertised the card as a 2GB and not a 1GB by mistake as I would not have made the purchase. Is there anything else I can try?

Hey svl7 was able to extract the G73JW_Mod_Dell.zip and flash it to the card but unfortunately it has not fixed the issue. Windows 8 still doesn't boot, it crashes when loading. When I switch the G73 on after about 30 secs the ASUS logo appears and I can then enter the bios setup, the same as before. When I save & exit the bios setup (ERROR: Valid MXM structure not found Post haulted for 30 seconds, P-State limited to P10) message no longer appears compared to the orginial bios. Just the count down number from 30 appears which before was at the end of the error message. Not sure what magic you did with the bios you attached in post #1 but it loads windows fine when flashed to the 660m 2GB card, just cant get the screen or overclocking to work. I wish the guy on ebay advertised the card as a 2GB and not a 1GB by mistake as I would not have made the purchase. Is there anything else I can try?

I see, yeah it was unlikely to work anyway, I had some time and took a closer look at the vbios and learnt some things... The Asus vbios is missing all necessary methods of an MXM vbios, from the looks it is already pre-configured for the G75, while a real MXM vbios which can run in any MXM capable system needs to be able to get system specific information (e.g. about the display setup) during POST.

The only way to get it properly to work would be a pretty crazy vbios mod, probably pretty time-consuming. And if you don't have a way to recovery from a bad vbios flash then your card might not boot anymore when I mess up.

can an asus g75 be upgraded from 660m to any of the 700m series?

Maybe, hard to say, see reasons above.

Got the 660m card and the JH heat sink. Can not get the back plate. Tried dell support, but they say they do not have. Anyone know where I can get the backplate or screws to use the exsisting backplate that is on my 660M I bought?