The latest version of the AMD GPU driver suite is up, check the spoiler for the change log:

Feature Highlights of the AMD Catalyst 12.8: Windows 8 supportAMD’s first logo certified driver for Windows 8 production featuring support for the DirectX® 11.1 and the new WDDM 1.2 driver model:

• Target-Independent Rasterization (TIR): TIR is a new rendering path that enables superior anti-aliasing in Direct3D driver applications.
  • Native Stereo 3D Support: Windows 8 natively supports stereoscopic 3D gaming and videos via compatible applications.
  • Unified Video API: Video playback has been integrated into the DirectX 11 API, enabling simultaneous video and gaming content. Transcoding performance may also be improved for supporting applications.
  • Optimized screen rotation for rotation aware devices.
  • Improved sleep/resume performance.
  • Optimized GPU power consumption.
  • Support for AMD features
    • AMD Eyefinity
    • OpenCL™
    • OpenGL
    • UVD
    • AMD Dual Graphics / AMD CrossFire™ Technology
    • AMD Overdrive
    • AMD Catalyst Control Center / Vision Engine Control Center

RESOLVED ISSUES

This section provides information on resolved known issues in this release of the AMD Catalyst 12.8 software suite.

Resolved Issues for the Windows 7 Operating System

• Over/underscan settings are correctly restored on system reboot
  • SolidWorks: Graphical corruption is no longer experienced
  • Crysis Warhead: No longer crashes when launched in DirectX 10 mode
  • System no longer hangs when resuming from sleep mode
  • Audio is no longer disabled if the connected HDTV Is switched off/on
  • Enabling dual graphics mode with a HD 7000 series product no longer displays green video playback
  • Call of Duty- Black Ops : No longer hangs when loading a mission in DirectX 9 mode with Crossfire enabled
  • Shogun 2: Flickering text is no longer experienced
  • Star Wars – The Old Republic: In game cinematics no longer experience flicker when using the arrow keys
  • Dirt Showdown: 8-Ball track no longer hangs with AMD Crossfire functionality enabled
  • Max Payne 3: A black screen is no longer observed when launching game in DirectX 11 mode with AMD Crossfire functionality enabled
  • Max Payne 3: Applying in game settings no longer causes the game to crash

Resolved Issues for the Windows 8 Operating System (These issues were found in the Catalyst driver for the Windows 8 Preview)

• Video playback using the Metro video player no longer shows green corruption
  • Deus Ex - Human Revolution: Graphics corruption is no longer experienced during in game cinematics with AMD Crossfire functionality enabled
  • Battlefield 3: game no longer crashes when AMD Crossfire functionality is enabled
  • Need for Speed – The Run: game no longer crashes to the desktop
  • Blocky video corruption no longer seen when using VLC
  • System no longer hangs when using PowerDVD
  • Green video corruption is no longer seen when using various video players

Resolved Issues for the Windows XP Operating System

• QQ Dancer: A black screen is no longer randomly experienced

KNOWN ISSUES

The following section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced with the AMD Catalyst 12.8 software suite.

Known issues under the Windows 7 operating system

• Max Payne 3: Lights may flicker when run in Direct X 11 mode in a triple AMD Crossfire configuration
  • F1 2011: Vehicle textures may flicker when graphics profile is set to low
  • Enemy Territory Quake Wars: Poor performance may be experienced with AMD Crossfire technology enabled
  • Rage: Poor performance may be experienced with AMD Crossfire technology enabled

Known issues under the Windows 8 operating system

• Blocky corruption may be experienced when playing back Flash video content
  • De-interlacing settings may not be applied to interlaced content when using MPC-HC and PowerDVD
  • Civilization V: game may crash when run in DirectX 9 mode
  • Total War – Shogun 2: game may experience random crashes
  • Rage: game may experience random crashes

Known issues under the Windows XP operating system

• Diablo 3/Starcraft 2/World of Warcraft: Performance may be affected when run in windowed mode

Have fun testing, let us know how it performs!

Download link for the mobile version:

AMD Catalyst

• Thumbs Up 5

• 2 weeks later...

I reverted to 12.6 after using these. Playing Mass Effect 2 atm and it was locking up and then cutting feed to the display. Only fix was to force shutdown using the power button. I know the game has issues but 12.6 seems to be more ME2 friendly.

• 3 weeks later...
I reverted to 12.6 after using these. Playing Mass Effect 2 atm and it was locking up and then cutting feed to the display. Only fix was to force shutdown using the power button. I know the game has issues but 12.6 seems to be more ME2 friendly.

Thats how 12.8 is working for me. Dirt games just froze on me lkke Witcher and Skyrim. I dont know why I have issues and others don't. They are completely stock and have been for months the 7970m.

Im guessing StamatisX your M17x R2 is not having any problems on 7970m? I mean i know you had to add more power but besides that. I get a red glow type screen sometimes and audio screech and must power down the screen has random red txt. I havent found a driver that runs my cards stock in my games yet. I left 12.8 on since its not like i have a stable one to refer back to.

Thats how 12.8 is working for me. Dirt games just froze on me lkke Witcher and Skyrim. I dont know why I have issues and others don't. They are completely stock and have been for months the 7970m.

Im guessing StamatisX your M17x R2 is not having any problems on 7970m? I mean i know you had to add more power but besides that. I get a red glow type screen sometimes and audio screech and must power down the screen has random red txt. I havent found a driver that runs my cards stock in my games yet. I left 12.8 on since its not like i have a stable one to refer back to.

Have you already tried the driver from eurocom? I use that one for a while now and works perfectly.

http://downloads.eurocom.com/support/drivers/zip/Alienware/HD7970M/AMD7970.zip

Have you already tried the driver from eurocom? I use that one for a while now and works perfectly.

http://downloads.eurocom.com/support/drivers/zip/Alienware/HD7970M/AMD7970.zip

Ill try them tomorrow and let you know if they all handle the same thank you. Ive tried the other regular and modded ones available so ill try those.

I think these drivers did a number on my 5870's. Finished ME2 and ME3 with maybe one lockup->blackscreen after reverting to 12.6. I thought everything was running okay, even ran a couple of 3Dmark11 benches for a quick stability check. Today I installed Crysis 2 to refresh my memory on the cards performance (trying to judge how bad a knock Crysis 3 is going to be).... and black screens again :-|

Tried the whole uninstall, clean, reinstall of 12.6 but still no dice. Primary at peak was around 79C and secondary 77C which is nowhere near the limit, so I don't know. Flashed back to stock BIOS with no OC/volt increase on both cards and everything seems stable now. Do you guys think the 12.8's pushed the cards a little too hard and possibly reduced what it could normally handle?

Only thing that describes what you experienced is that a gpu degraded after the overvolt and driver combo it went trhough if you dont have the same handling on stock that you did before.

On the Eurocom driver above, it didnt solve my issues. So far motherboard is number one suspect and its hard to tell anything till thats replaced.

Only thing that describes what you experienced is that a gpu degraded after the overvolt and driver combo it went trhough if you dont have the same handling on stock that you did before.

On the Eurocom driver above, it didnt solve my issues. So far motherboard is number one suspect and its hard to tell anything till thats replaced.

Yeah that was my suspicion as well.

Hope you resolve your issues soon man. I cant be easy knowing the potential of what you've got and being unable to use it properly.

• 4 weeks later...