Well, I'm really not 100% sure what's causing this, and therefore I can't tell you how to fix it.

svl7,

Thanks for your Time, Effort and Expertise. What you did was Impressive.

Dynamics of the solution was way over my head, but he knows what he is doing. Problem Solved.

Beer Fund growing.

Cheers

• Thumbs Up 3

Hi svl7:

I'm just able to download the attachment here, and compare it with the on downloaded on the main site, two files are different, the platform.ini and QBR10EC.fd.

When I try to flash the on downloaded here from the version downloaded on the main site earlier(A03 unlocked to A03 unlocked), it says file size doesn't match....

How can I fix this and actually try the BIOS downloaded from the attachment and see if any difference :)

Thanks for the reassurance Johnksss, I have no doubt that he will figure something out. Good to meet you, btw.

Same to ya.

Hi guys, I just blind flashed from A08 to A03 so I thought I'd post my results here. Everything seems to have went fine, 135 beeps.

Indeed!

Hi svl7, thanks for the unlocked BIOS, I just flashed it in my M18x R2 and running normal.

But, when I enable the extreme mode(disable factory 1-3 level), and set the 4 settings to 4.2, 4.0, 3.9, 3.8, and vid 22, long power limit 80, short 90, time window 28. after saving the setting and re-boot, all these setting would disappear and back to non-flex disabled, extreme mode disabled....

In the A03 unlocked BIOS, there are two Advance pages, I tried changed either one at a time, as well as both, but no cure....

I also noticed there is a Advanced CPU settings under the Power tag, where I see a TDP setting...looks like it locks the CPU to 55W long power limit and 65W for short?

The minute you go and touch that non-flex turbo, everything will revert back to stock. It is not needed for the over clocking to work.

svl7,

Thanks for your Time, Effort and Expertise. What you did was Impressive.

Dynamics of the solution was way over my head, but he knows what he is doing. Problem Solved.

Beer Fund growing.

Cheers

Beer fund? That turned in to a xmas fund. :D

The A03 on the main site doesn't include the 11.6 IRST option ROM. What's your current bios version?

Next up, a06 a07 investigations. LMAO! We are up till 6AM! Yours and then my time zone. Right after blackops though. :D

I'm currently using the A03 unlocked from the main site, and every time I try to load the one downloaded in this post, it gives error message saying the ROM size doesn't match...:dispirited:

Honestly, I don't quite need the 11.6 IRST as I have only two normal drives in RAID0 with a normal SSD at AHCI, doesn't have a good msata for caching the RAID0... well, would be really nice if you'd spend some time figure out the myth so I can make the switch~:sneakiness:

Marry Christmas~

so as of today date, if I get m18x R2 now it will obviously come with A08 bios and that means I have no chances flashing modded A08 bios still correct?

and as of todays date, that would be in correct information.

135 beeps later you will be on a03 bios, then 30 more beeps later you'll be on a03 unlocked bios. roughly.

and as of todays date, that would be in correct information. 135 beeps later you will be on a03 bios, then 30 more beeps later you'll be on a03 unlocked bios. roughly.
I think you mean that it is 'incorrect information' ? as you can go back to A03 then to A08.

I think you mean that it is 'incorrect information' ? as you can go back to A03 then to A08.

Not really sure what point your trying to make. Since we were the first ones to do the blind flash from an A08 to A03 to A03 Unlocked To Unlocked A08.

Unless your trying to point out some moot point about punctuation errors.

Hi

I receive my new M18X R2 tomorrow and I can only assume it will have the crappy locked down A08 Bios installed. After reading through this post I'm under the understanding that to get the best unlocked features I should 'blind flash' back to A03 then flash the A03 unlocked & IRST bios firmware. I'd like to add my machine will be running Windows 8 so would A03 unlocked & IRST still be the people's choice ?. Please forgive my ignorance as this is all new to me but how do I perform a 'blind flash' ? Also I'm new to this forum so as I've only posted this once I've noticed I cannot download the revisions which include the IRST. I take it that's normal as per forum 5 post ruling ?

Anyway thanks in advance

Chris (cwiggy78)

USB recovery method description can be found here: http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m18x/1981-how-recover-bad-flash-alienware-m18x-r2.html

It should work fine if done properly, even though some people managed to brick their system... So I can't say it's 100% safe to use. There's another way which should work, but I'd need to have access to your system. That would be the safest way I know so far.

I do have one more idea, which probably won't work though, but it's safe to test, so I'd say worth a try. Let me prepare that.

EDIT: And yes, you need 5 posts in order to see attachments.

PM me when thats ready, my new m18x r2 is days away for delivery, I need this , thanks

LOL, I'm not a RSS feed. Check the forum for news if you're interested in this.

As I said, I don't think that works. Looking into it atm and it's more complicated than expected.

Hi

I've almost given up trying this as the official A03 bios file i get from Dell website does not come down such that i can extract it and get 9 files. I imagine they've changed the download file from the one you guys have used (in the reflash guide you have linked to) so I cant even start to try this. Dissilusioned. Please help

Thanks

Chris (cwiggy78)

Hi. Once placed on my fat32 USB stick do I just reboot my laptop with it or do I use the forced method removal of battery holding home button etc ?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi. Sorry premature post lol. It has all the files so i'm going to give it a try now. Thankyou.

Hi. ok so i've successfully gone down to the A03 bios using the files linked by mazmorbid and using the tutorial linked to by svl7. (took my laptop 130 beeps :-) ). So thanks for the help guys.

my question now is it recommended to go to the A03 unlocked & IRST or upto the A08 unlocked & IRST ?. And Is it simply executed through windows or do i need to force it using the same method i just used to go down to A03. I've already downloaded both files and just waiting on expert advise from here

thanks