Yeah, I think I know why this is happens. This has nothing to do with the BIOS itself, just with the settings in there, and with missing drivers.

For secure boot and fast boot the legacy boot options need to be disabled, right? (Otherwise secure boot wouldn't make a lot of sense...)

If legacy option roms don't get loaded your system can't access the dedicated GPU, cause it won't find the vbios. Dell hasn't released an UEFI compatible vbios for the AW series so far, so all you can do is either allow the legacy oroms, or you wait for Dell to release a new vbios which includes UEFI compatible software. Clevo already has it, seems Dell is a bit behind on this.

A BIOS update won't help in this case, you need a different vbios.

exactly - if you try to enable UEFI on discrete cards you get an error about a missing MXM GOP driver.

can you flash the clevo vbios onto the dell cards ? Any implications ?

Thx svl7 for the clarification! Seems to make sense :)

Unfortunately I'm not into flashing my card, I switched back to the Legacy BIOS and your unlocked A03 BIOS :) Too much trouble for me achieving UEFI (my media buttons wouldn't work after I flashed the A08 unlocked BIOS and installed Win 8 with Fast/Secure Boot options).

Hi I've one question, If i flash my BIOS to (currently A03 unlocked) A03 Unlocked with latest OROM will I have any problems with my RAID 0 config? I want to have TRIM on :/

None, the switch should be seamless. What is your current option rom version? If you didn't have TRIM before, you will have it now. The disks will automatically 'catch up' so to say.

so does this mean the up coming alienwares will have hard time flashing an unlocked bios? paying additional 250-300 just for overclocking sucks and it probably won't have options to an unlocked bios. I flashed a while back and realizes a bunch of feature I uses in bios matters like Cstates enable/disable, changing CPU frequency/multiplier, adjusting fan speed and temperature when fan triggers etc.

There are a couple of possibilities, in this case the easiest would be to just use this tool (Download Universal BIOS Backup ToolKit 2.0.zip) and let it dump it. It won't necessarily be a complete dump, but it should be fine.

I downloaded this and tried to run it but, my virus program shouted Trogan and wiped it. Is this available from another source?

BTW, A08 is still locked but, the Dell upgrade worked fine, now running at 4.4Ghz using XTU

OB

It's not malicious, but it contains a low level driver to access the memory and read the shadowed bios. If you're not comfortable with this I can send you a different tool which definitely won't activate your security software - but if you already updated to A08 it doesn't matter anymore anyway :dispirited:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5329[/ATTACH]

I've got this error while trying to flash to A03 unclocked with latest OROM. I already have A03 unlocked running.

Could anyone help me with this problem?

#180 and all of you.

Thank you!

i took the QBR10EC.fd from M18x_R2_-_BIOS_A08_-_[unlocked]_-_[iRST 11.0.6.1702] and copied it over the QBR10EC.fd inside M18x_R2_-_BIOS_A08_-_[unlocked] and then click InsydeFlash.exe , and it worked,, there is something wrong with platform.ini in the rst 11.6 one

It contains sata / raid drivers. When used with the latest IRST drivers the latest orom apparently gives you trim support for ssd raids.

Thanks for the answer. One other question. I hit the FN/F7 key to switch to inter al graphics. When the computer reboot, nothing. Keyboard flashes and it try's over and over. Do i have to clear the Bios with a battery pull, or Main battery pull/FN key with AC for two reboots to fix? Or will a reflash of A03 work.

Here: http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m18x/1981-how-recover-bad-flash-alienware-m18x-r2.html But I can't guarantee sucess. And it's crucial that you wait until the system reboots itself, it may take several minutes and beep during this time.
I was going to try and put an unlocked bios on my machine, but after reading all through this thread I am too scared to try it now in fear I will brick it :( I am running A08, but it came with A03 ... Is there still an unlocked A08 bios on the first page ? I couldn't see it there, but this might be because I am newbie here with 1 post ?

Check the first post and the links there, it's all described. You won't be able to flash the unlocked A08 unless you're on A03 or earlier.
The temptation got the better of me, successfully downgraded to A03 then flashed the unlocked A08 BIOS, had a few issues though, the blind flash took longer than I thought, and after it booted back up Windows 8 wouldn't load (yes I set AHCI as it was set on RAID) so I had to put the original Windows 7 drive back in it, luckily it booted up and I was able to flash the unlocked A08 BIOS, after that I then put my SSD and other hard drives in and it booted back in to Windows 8 yay :Banane01: Had a quick look around the BIOS and couldn't believe how many extras features are there now, congrats to you svl7 for your efforts, highly appreciated.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hiya guys,

I'm on bios A05 (locked as it came with the laptop), I currently have no problems whatsoever with the laptop. Is there any safe way to update the bios

to A08 unlocked or should I just leave everything as it is...