As suspected A08 modified does not flash from modified A07. More patience was needed :)
So, you have successfully flashed unlocked A07 with the new OROM? If so, that is great news. Blind flash? Did you start out with A07 and go to unlocked A07?

Forgive me if I am missing something, but flashing to the latest bios only really offers the Secure Boot and that is it? Besides the mystery behind what Dell has changed between A03 and A08, I haven't seen anyone say that going from A03 to A08 (or anything higher than A03 for that matter) offers any real benefit?

Yeah, I'm actually inclining to recommending not to flash to the newer bios versions, even though I usually always appreciated updates and fixes - the downsides of this is just pretty big, you get locked out of your system.

Still, it's possible to flash the unlocked A08 when you come from A03, but once you're on a A07 / A08 (modified or not) it will be more difficult to flash any modified image.

Yeah, I'm actually inclining to recommending not to flash to the newer bios versions, even though I usually always appreciated updates and fixes - the downsides of this is just pretty big, you get locked out of your system.

Still, it's possible to flash the unlocked A08 when you come from A03, but once you're on a A07 / A08 (modified or not) it will be more difficult to flash any modified image.

Thanks. I'll just stick with what I have then for the time being. It seems to be more trouble than it's worth to upgrade, with no real benefit. I probably will cross flash to the unlocked A03 though once you put the Intel 11.6 ROM inside of it. In case I have not said so already, thank you very much for everything you have done with all of the bios/vbios files!

Nevermind, I fixed it by moving the bin file to the old A03 mod with orom 11.5, deleting the old modded bios, then renaming the bin file to the proper name - working. U might have forgot Svl7 to do that in the mod.. Thanks though, everything working fine, and bench marking faster!

im wondering if this had something to do with dell changing pricing and combining OC and non OC to a single sale which is now only OC avaliable on the extreme CPU. if you look under config page both US and Canada website, only overclock option is there, no more non OC option. I dont like where this is going.. they changing the BIOS so can't be easily flashed/unlocked..

im wondering if this had something to do with dell changing pricing and combining OC and non OC to a single sale which is now only OC avaliable on the extreme CPU. if you look under config page both US and Canada website, only overclock option is there, no more non OC option. I dont like where this is going.. they changing the BIOS so can't be easily flashed/unlocked..

Tell me about it. Like Svl7 wrote here http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/2252-information-about-bios-updates-a07-a08-higher-m14xr2-m17xr4-m18xr2.html#post29581

We are screwed and its just going to get more locked down. Legacy systems with upgraded hardware may be more appealing to enthusiasts soon than the latest greatest offering in retail.

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

It's not some dell pricing conspiracy, it's a new requirement from Microsoft for Windows 8 product certification

It's not some dell pricing conspiracy, it's a new requirement from Microsoft for Windows 8 product certification

To be fair your right and also it seems it would be in best interest of all the OEMs Dell and the rest to implement this even if Windows 8 didn't require it. No OEM likes us enthusiasts tooling around in their bios's with unlocked options. But as for why its being implemented so quickly and all over is exactly as you said due to Windows 8 certification.

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

could someone explain how this is to do with microsoft, I am confused.. and what is SLIC modding?

The SLIC is a table in the bios, put there by big OEMs. Together with a certificate (manufacturer specific) and a licence key ((manufacturer)/edition specific) it allows you to activate windows offline.

The forums at mydigitallife.info know more:

Windows 8 preinstalled licenses, AKA OA2.2 and OA3.0

• Thumbs Up 2

The SLIC is a table in the bios, put there by big OEMs. Together with a certificate (manufacturer specific) and a licence key ((manufacturer)/edition specific) it allows you to activate windows offline.

The forums at mydigitallife.info know more:

Windows 8 preinstalled licenses, AKA OA2.2 and OA3.0

ah right, I did recall MS stated something about windows 8 at a BIOS level to prevent piracy, now it all make sense.. this sucks, because of MS can't have easy unlocked bios =( never will I use windows 8 =)

Yeah... but whether you will use Win8 or not, the lock will still be there in Win8 certified machines.

- - - Updated - - -

where is the "M18x R2 - BIOS A08 'unlocked' & Intel RST option ROM 11.6.0.1702" attached file?

Oh... right, good point.. seems I missed to upload it. Will do so.

• Thumbs Up 1