Hi Mr.fox may laptop is use bios A11, can i install bios A10 Unlocked ?

I did this and didn't have any issues. Just follow the OP recommendation.

NOTE: If you want to use an unlocked BIOS newer than A03 I highly recommend to first flash the desired version of the unmodified BIOS (grab it at the Dell download site).

• 2 weeks later...

hm...i think i may have messed up, I installed the A08 unlocked bios and figured that i could just use the dell tool to update it back to the current released version... doesnt seem to be working and now my fans are always on high :/ so what should I do to fix my mistake.

ok reinstalled(flashed) the unlocked bois A10, fans still going to hard and temps are low, gpu's stay at about 40c and 30c while cpu is at 50 c. but fans are at 70-80%. Just started to happen in the past week or so. any clue why the sudden change in behavior?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have downloaded and unzipped the FPT file for unlocked Bios A10, but when I use the Attachment 2741 and follow the directions on the first page of this thread I get an error message: There are no valid DOS system files at the specified location. I have checked my steps over and over and I can't see the error.

I have tried changing my source folder and downloaded again and ran on a different machine, but I still get the same message. There must be something I am not doing right. Please help.

Thanks in Advance.

I have downloaded and unzipped the FPT file for unlocked Bios A10, but when I use the Attachment 2741 and follow the directions on the first page of this thread I get an error message: There are no valid DOS system files at the specified location. I have checked my steps over and over and I can't see the error.

I have tried changing my source folder and downloaded again and ran on a different machine, but I still get the same message. There must be something I am not doing right. Please help.

Thanks in Advance.

1. Download Attachment

2. Open the SP27608 and extract

3. Click on the SP27608 and install

4. Right Click on the Icon on your desk top and run as administrator

5. Change file system to FAT32

6. Check the Quick Format and Create DOS startup disk boxes

7. Click on the ... box and point to where the Win98 files were extracted too.

Should work for you now.

• Thumbs Up 1

I seem to have caused a problem with my m18xr2 with a gtx980m. It has windows 8.1 and was using BIOS A12, I need to do a blind reflash of this BIOS as the system will not POST. Can anyone give me some advice or some ideas on what I should do? Every time I try to boot my computer up, I get 8 beeps. Last time this was fixed by reflashing the bios to A03 but I can't do that because the only BIOS listed for my system is the A12. Please Please Please can someone help me out?

• 3 weeks later...
I seem to have caused a problem with my m18xr2 with a gtx980m. It has windows 8.1 and was using BIOS A12, I need to do a blind reflash of this BIOS as the system will not POST. Can anyone give me some advice or some ideas on what I should do? Every time I try to boot my computer up, I get 8 beeps. Last time this was fixed by reflashing the bios to A03 but I can't do that because the only BIOS listed for my system is the A12. Please Please Please can someone help me out?

i hope this one can help you buddy

[solution] M18x R2 Fails POST with 8 Beeps Switching Graphics Mode from IGFX to PEG - Alienware Forum - Alienware Club - Dell Community

Hello,

I have got a M18X R2 with A11 unlocked bios. I seem to be having some issues so I am hoping that by flashing the bios again these will be solved.

Can I use A12 stock bios and then flash the A10 unlocked bios?

I am currently using a GTX 970m single card, would this cause any issue?

Hello,

I have got a M18X R2 with A11 unlocked bios. I seem to be having some issues so I am hoping that by flashing the bios again these will be solved.

Can I use A12 stock bios and then flash the A10 unlocked bios?

I am currently using a GTX 970m single card, would this cause any issue?

Which Issues do u mean?

I have a M18x R2, too. With 2x980M SLI and the A10 Unlocked Bios in UEFI Mode. Maybe I can help u out.

eQualize87

Which Issues do u mean?

I have a M18x R2, too. With 2x980M SLI and the A10 Unlocked Bios in UEFI Mode. Maybe I can help u out.

eQualize87

Thanks for your reply.

I seem to have an issue with the Msata port and hdd caddy. On the msata drive, windows install stays stuck at 0% and when installing to a different disk and partition the msata in diskmanager will cause a hang.

I ordered a samsung evo 850 now as I have a feeling the issue is with the Crucial M550 drive and not the laptop. The m550 works in another machine and I got a kingston msata drive which seemed to work in the alienware. So I will report back later.

The HDD caddy still has an issue, (with multiple drives...) The drives are Always detected in both Windows and the BIOS and can even be used however, sometimes at boot windows hangs (hdd led stays constant on). Windows still boots up after a hang of about 3 minutes but the drive is then NOT detected anymore by windows. Powering off and on the laptop fixes the issue (for the moment) This issue also seem to happen when resuming from sleep, machine wakes up but the screen stays black for a long time (hdd led stays constant on) and then suddenly becomes active or in a unique case, suddenly reboots.

When removing all other drives and only use the HDD caddy I keep having this issue. When I remove the HDD caddy (disconnect the ribbon cable) the issue is gone.

*edit* This is what I can see in the event viewer for the drive in the caddy:

The IO operation at logical block address 0x705a28 for Disk 0 (PDO name: \Device\0000003f) was retried.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello

Quick question for you, I also have the m18xr2 with 980m sli. I am using prema vbios along with j95 modded drivers and using 353.06. My overclocks dont stick. they keep throttling back to stock clocks. running @ stock it fine no throttling but as soon as i tri to overclock as soon as the vidcards start to get taxed they throttle back to stock clocks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey svl7,

I am a big fan and would like to thank you for all your hard work on behalf of the Alienware scene. I come with a request, would it be possible to have Alienware M18x R2 BIOS A12 unlocked? It did some sort of update to the EC that help fix strange fan behavior on the primary GPU that is absent in BIOS A10, which is your latest unlocked BIOS. Would it be possible to unlock A12 as well? Thank you for your time. BIOS here: Alienware M18xR4 System BIOS for Win8.1 Driver Details | Dell US

Filename: M18R2A12WIN.exe

• 3 weeks later...

I blind flashed A03 and now all I get is 8 beeps. I have 980 sli and it wont let me switch to discrete graphics. Tried resetting cmos still no go. When I start it up it goes to the disk config page and I can get into the crtl-i menu but not the main setup by pressing f2 what am I doing wrong?

• 2 weeks later...
I blind flashed A03 and now all I get is 8 beeps. I have 980 sli and it wont let me switch to discrete graphics. Tried resetting cmos still no go. When I start it up it goes to the disk config page and I can get into the crtl-i menu but not the main setup by pressing f2 what am I doing wrong?

What u need to do is, take out the 980m SLI and boot without them, this works. U have to reconfigure the Bios again, after that put the cards back into the laptop.

eQualize87

• 3 weeks later...
ok, guys i got m18x r2 with 3920xm gtx 780 sli working with A12 Stock what is the procedure for downgrade to A10 unlocked bios without brick my system? :) thanks

reply to myselft

i'm done.

1 - Switch to IGFX

2 - Flash from Windows with Dell A11 Bios

3 - Flash from Windows with Dell A10 Bios

4 - Flash with A10 Unlocked.

Done.