Do you guys have stock vBIOS dump from Alienware M17x R4 2012?

I flashed svl7's 660m_GHz-Edition_overvolted_VBIOS_[DELL] version from here, but it's not compatible with my 660M. The biggest problem is that I forgot to dump my vBIOS before these operations. Now BIOS can't start my dGPU.

The command i used to flash is:

.\nvflash.exe --index=0 -override -6 .\vbios.ROM

Now my videocard shows error 43 in Windows 10 and I can't use it. I am sorry for my stupidity and hope you can help.

• Bios Modder
3 hours ago, noteMASTER12 said:

Do you guys have stock vBIOS dump from Alienware M17x R4 2012?

I flashed svl7's 660m_GHz-Edition_overvolted_VBIOS_[DELL] version from here, but it's not compatible with my 660M. The biggest problem is that I forgot to dump my vBIOS before these operations. Now BIOS can't start my dGPU.

The command i used to flash is:

.\nvflash.exe --index=0 -override -6 .\vbios.ROM

Now my videocard shows error 43 in Windows 10 and I can't use it. I am sorry for my stupidity and hope you can help.

Hi!

Try to flash this vbios version:  https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/134317/134317

and this:  https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/144032/144032

Flash in DOS, use command:   nvflash  -5  -6  vbiosname.rom

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Klem said:

Hi!

Try to flash this vbios version:  https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/134317/134317

and this:  https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/144032/144032

Flash in DOS, use command:   nvflash  -5  -6  vbiosname.rom

Hello and thanks a lot, I'll try as soon as possible.

Do you have any ideas why svl7's overclocked vBIOS is not compatible with my videocard?

And I have to note also that my nvflash (latest from Guru3D) can't recognize -4 -5 -6 and other numerical arguments like the first postfix after nvflash.exe.

Update: unfortunately, none of vbioses you sended are working. Maybe it's because of different PCI ID? It wasn't 1028  0551 like in usual GTX 660M...  can't remember exact IDs but nvflash didn't work without override option. The error was very close to this.

UPD2: Uhm... vBIOS 144032 works with my GTX 660M after 2 or 3 reboots... What's happening? So... it works. But it's unknown for me why doesn't OC version work properly. I even paid for taking access to it. Any ideas guys?

The second surprise. After reinstalling GHz OC edition i got my videocard working properly.

Spoiler

123.gif.7af420e0334331887d02c318bfae74c5.gif

The only thing I've changed was UEFI > UEFI + Legacy boot mode. It doesn't relate any hardware (but it does as you see).

On the second screenshot you can see successful rendering (I've played The Witcher 3):

Spoiler

234.gif.fa29d911296125f255032a4675c92f87.gif

Aaaand... here we go - proof of working:

Spoiler

123.thumb.gif.713965ff6c50f0741f939a186db8b8e7.gif

My problem really existed because I used fast boot, that GHz edition doesn't support: 

Edited by noteMASTER12

Good day to everyone.

@Klem, would it be possible to look at my question above and to my 2nd question in the topic below? I would really appreciate that.

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/3519-bios-vbios-modification-request-thread-svl7/&do=findComment&comment=169226

many thanks in advance

7 hours ago, maleagour said:

Good day to everyone.

<...> Does it only relate to Overclocked bioses and is the popular modded bios by svl7 an overclocked one? <...>

Good day. Congratulations with bying new videocard! One of the problems is dGPU power consumption. GTX 980M really has this problem and it's a good idea to use Prema vBIOS Mod v2 for it - this vBIOS was created to solve throttling problem, but you need at least 240 Wt power supply to give necessary power resource.

And anyway please dump your current vBIOS (don't repeat my mistakes) before trying to flash. ModMe script runs without any problems in Windows 7...10. Tested on Clevo P150EM with similar dGPU.

Edited by noteMASTER12

Hi noteMaster,

The card arrived and I installed it pretty easily. Everything was as expected and just by following the standard preparations (new nvidia x-bracket, mod in the heatsink, uefi bios setup, switch to dGPU only, mod in the nvdmi.inf) I did not experience any negative surprises.

Apparently, the unlocked A15 bios was not needed in this instance. I am still with the stock.

Let me continue the discussion about the vbios of 980m in the more appropriate thread:

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/3519-bios-vbios-modification-request-thread-svl7/&do=findComment&comment=169226

Well... I met another problem with my M17x R4. I used last BIOS Mod version from svl7 and configured in video settings more vRAM for iGPU (increase to 1024 MB from default 256 MB). And now laptop can't start - it cannot even reach BIOS loading, just enables backlight and shuts down. Of course I removed CMOS battery, I even tried to forse reset BIOS with End + Poweron, but it doesn't help. I am afraid in two ways: I've broken south bridge or I've broken RAM. 

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/20/2019 at 10:58 PM, Hendra Anggrian said:

[FPT]-M17x_R4_BIOS_A11_-_[unlocked]V2.zip link seem to have died, or just can't be downloaded by someone who just created an account. Anybody have a mirror?

Link is working, it is because you need to make something like 5 quality post on techinferno to get access to downloads.

Try search for some modifications threads, maybe you can help with new ideas.

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, ndrefg said:

Hi! so I have a M17x R4 that a friend gave me... And it gives 7 beeps when I turn it on. I wanted to try and flash the bios to see if it would solve the problem. Can I do it with the programmer CH341A I have?

My friend says that the laptop didnt boot after he updated the bios. Maybe it was the wrong bios.

Yes but you need to fiddle alot to make the clip stick to the bios chip.

Have you tried resetting bios by taking out the CMOS battery, draining for power, put everything together, holding the FN key while booting up?

Also there is a way to blindflash a bios, using a flash drive, put in esata port hold the END key while plugin the power cable back.

Just make sure that no matter what DO NOT TURN IT OFF WHEN START BEEPING REALLY LOUD!

Let it sit 1-2 Hours before thinking about shutting it down if nothing seems to be happening.

8 minutes ago, ndrefg said:

Don't know if I should make a new topic or not, but here it goes
So I tried to blindflash and nothing came of it. Then I tried to flash the EC and the bios, but i'm not certain that it was successful,

to try it I started to assemble the laptop and now it doesn't even start. I read somewhere that I if the EC is bad the laptop won't even react to the power button.

Do you think it was that or did I f****d up something else?

It is possible it could be a wrong EC. I tried using a CH341A on R4. I ended up buying a new motherboard, I could not get it to work. It was completely dead.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ndrefg said:

I will try to flash it again as soon as the new clip I ordered comes and then if it still won't work I guess I will try to replace the chip or de solder it and flash it.

A new motherboard would be pretty expensive.

BTW the EC and bios that I tried were these ones: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6IqcVTk0jpYX1Fvck9FdWIteDg

Thanks for your help!

I wish you luck. I tried for fun replacing the ec with one from a m18x R1 because it was the same type, but no luck.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, chronos37621 said:

i still cant download because of the rule here sir henrik... but i have another question is a lcd a 120hz if its a 1920x1080 in resolution? i mean how can i describe a monitor lcd of alienware if it is a 120hz? thanks in advance

Yes a 120hz is 1920x1080

The way you can find out if you have a 120hz.

If you have AMD graphics card = no

If you have gtx 660m or lower = no

If you use Nvidia Optimus = no

If you have a sticker saying "3D vision" = yes

If you go into Nvidia control panel, desktop resolution, and can set the resolution to 120hz = yes

If you take off the keyboard, then you can see the screen connector, if it has screws on each side, it is 120hz if not it is 60hz.