As I said in the first post, it will take a while until the DL is ready on the server.

Ok folks, the main reason which made me use unlocked bios was to overclock flawlessly.

I wanted to override TDP (short/long power limit) of XM cpu.

However, in m17x R4 even with unlocked bios (with all the proper options set for overclock eg. msr disabled),

XM cpu does not comsume more than what it was meant to use by intel, i.e. 55w long and 67w short power limit.

I have tested in four m17x R4, so I am sure this is not a problem of mine but of general m17x R4 or bios.

Whatever I do or you do with unlocked bios, 3920xm/3940xm CPUs wont use more than 67w in m17x R4.

I have tested many other CPUs such as 3720qm and 3820qm and both were allowed to use 55w max, which was set by intel.

So now, I would like to ask svl7 how you think about this issue.

I really want to override my TDP settings and hope that he can fix this partial-locked "unlocked" bios.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
wouldn't need to ask if you had read the instructions.

You HAVE to be on A11 official to flash A11 unlocked.

hi ,

i am on official a11 bios , i have a 3610qm cpu gtx 680 sli r2 , will i get the overclocking features such as level 1 , 2 , 3 overclocking features as we get with a xm cpu .

just asking coz i just want to oc my cpu to say 4ghz .

does the unlocked bios have these features , the one i mentioned above

thanks

I am considering getting the unlocked bios for my m17x r4. Is it worth it? I already have access to some overclocking but some of it of course greyed out.

It is worth it to avoid any potential power management/throttle problems

• 2 weeks later...

I upgrade to A12 but can't switch gfx,so i flash to A08.However i can't flash A05 by USB BIOS Recovery to unlock.The progress bar which blow AW logo will stop when i try to force flash.Dell support ask i update BIOS,then i can't use 7970m,and now i messed up my BF4 roomates flight... -_-

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

I'll get my Mainboard replaced soon by Dell because of Win 8 and the key blablabla^^ I'll update the "normal" W8 to 8.1 and my question now is, can I still use the unlocked A11 Bios from svl?

Because for W8.1 there is only the A13 Stock Bios on the dell driver-download page, no A11 or can I just run the A11 from the Win7?

Any bios will work, only real difference in A13 is an ACPI entry for Win8.

hey,

thank you for your answer svl, but I don't know what this ACPI entry is :D

Do I need this stuff? I only use my Laptop for gaming and rarely for some office work.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wondering: How necessary is the modded bios for M17XR4?

I just plugged in a new GTX 780M, and it seems to run just fine. Recognized by Windows & all other programs (such as Furmark, HWInfo64 etc.)

It's just because I'm doing this for a customer, and BIOS updating always come with a risk :/

i was curious, when it is impossible to noticeably overclock cpu other then XM series and the is Fn + F7 combination to disable iGPU, what else is able to achieve in unlocked bios that is worth mentioning? is there a possibility to see somewhere scematics of unlocked bios? thanks in advance for response.

Odoslané z GT-I9505

• 2 weeks later...

From what I understand, A13 and A12 arent really being considered for unlocking because there really is no major change from A11 which is already available and unlocked. Am I right? Also, I would have to downgrade to stock A11 before flashing an unlocked A11. I have heard of alot of talk of A12 being available, so I'd much rather use that or A13. Thank you!

• Brian pinned this topic