[New laptop on the way] Clevo P170EM + GTX 680m 4GB!

joluke@inphtech

P150EM here and just swapped from a 7970M to a 680M due to AMD Enduro issues.

The 680M is running so much better than the 7970M and I haven't even started with the OCing yet :)

Oh and also have a 3740QM running with XTU at 4.1GHz.

Well my order was postponed 1 week due to delays from the bank to receive the money to buy the laptop :(

P150EM seriously tempts me as a portable replacement for the M18X, with comparable benches (thanks @Brian ).

User review please? :)

P150EM is the perfect replacement for that and even for M17x :P

The final configuration was changed to

CPU: i7 3920XM / RAM: 32GB DDR3 1600 / Graphic Card: nVidia GTX680 / Screen: Glare / OS Disk: SSD 256GB Samsung Serie 830 SATA3 / Data Disk:Momentus XT (Hybrid) 750GB / Optic Reader/Writer: Blu-ray writer 6x / OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 / Network Card: Bigfoot Networks Killer™ Wireless-N 1103

Chosen to buy 3920XM instead because i want to have the best Clevo P170EM ever :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks great! Review + pics!!

Still waiting for the money to arrive then place my order on this beast but yes, there will be: Unboxing photos, a full hardware and software review and some benchmarks!

:D

I wanna get the maximum power out of this beast :D

Edit: new progress added to OP! Please refer to OP! :D

• 2 weeks later...
Still waiting for the money to arrive then place my order on this beast but yes, there will be: Unboxing photos, a full hardware and software review and some benchmarks!

:D

I wanna get the maximum power out of this beast :D

Edit: new progress added to OP! Please refer to OP! :D

The XM is fine and all, but the extra 400mhz that the 3720qm and 3820qm give take you to the thermal limits anyway, so you are not going to get too much more out of it.

I'd go with a pair of 512GB SSDs in raid 0 instead now that TRIM is supported on raid 0 arrays.

The XM is fine and all, but the extra 400mhz that the 3720qm and 3820qm give take you to the thermal limits anyway, so you are not going to get too much more out of it.

I'd go with a pair of 512GB SSDs in raid 0 instead now that TRIM is supported on raid 0 arrays.

Well since i am going to buy two equal laptops and the bugdet is way too large for now i will stay with that but yes my intention is to buy two SSD's when they drop the price :D

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing i would have changed with that order would be the 750g momentus, it's a waste to have a hybrid drive as storage, it used to be a small fix in place of ssd's (to elaborate, either get it for a boot drive until you get an ssd or just get a regular hdd for storage) but even then they weren't that great, they will die like hddvd did. I recommend getting a second samsung 830 and putting the 2 ssds in raid 0 for ultimate speeds and get an external/swap optical drive hdd for storage. That's what i have done exactly except i have 2 Crucial M4's and a samsung 830 in the optical for storage.

I agree with the above that a hybrid drive is not a good idea. They cost more with little benefit and more space would be better to have or go all out and buy a larger but older SSD like the sata 2 500-600gb flavor since they are cheaper than sata3.

Nice rig looking forward to first impressions!

• 2 weeks later...

(forgive me for being a little off-topic) How do you do that? I had a look at XTU and I'm not sure what to change or the consequences of it, a little afraid of moving sliders to arbitrary values without understanding what they do. Can you point me towards some info on using XTU? Thanks

• 1 month later...
P150EM here and just swapped from a 7970M to a 680M due to AMD Enduro issues.

The 680M is running so much better than the 7970M and I haven't even started with the OCing yet :)

How did you use XTU on the P150EM. The BIOS is locked and doesn't allow it as far as I know. I have a 3720QM, but both should have partially unlocked multipliers yes? Are you using a custom BIOS or some other hack?

• 2 weeks later...
How did you use XTU on the P150EM. The BIOS is locked and doesn't allow it as far as I know. I have a 3720QM, but both should have partially unlocked multipliers yes? Are you using a custom BIOS or some other hack?

There was some thread I read on NBR that discussed about cross flashing BIOS from P170EM to the P150EM (or was it P170HM?). I will edit if I find it.

• 4 months later...

Hi, I think 32Gb of ram is useless, 8gb is enough. Your SSD is not the best, i have read lot of SSD test, the best one is the samsung 840 pro 256 gb. Hope help you to choose your configuration

• 2 weeks later...