[New laptop on the way] Clevo P170EM + GTX 680m 4GB!

joluke@inphtech

I'm going to edit the OP every time there is an update on my laptop and i will bump it :D

3rd update:

Current progress on my purchase:

• Waiting for arrival of money to place order: post-4779-14494993508211_thumb.jpg
  • Ordered: post-4779-14494993508141_thumb.jpg
  • Waiting for arrival: post-4779-14494993508141_thumb.jpg
  • Arrived and currently installing games and benchmark programs: post-4779-14494993508141_thumb.jpg
  • Benchmark in progress: post-4779-14494993508141_thumb.jpg

2nd update:

The specs on my new Clevo P170EM have changed to the following:
CPU: i7 3920XM / RAM: 32GB DDR3 1600 / Graphic Card: nVidia GTX680 / Screen: Glare / OS Disk: SSD 256GB Samsung Serie 830 SATA3 / Data Disk:Momentus XT (Hybrid) 750GB / Optic Reader/Writer: Blu-ray writer 6x / OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 / Network Card: Bigfoot Networks Killer™ Wireless-N 1103

1st update:

I'm going to buy this new rig in 4 days:

Clevo P170EM with the following configuration:

- CPU: i7 3820QM

- RAM: 32GB DDR3 1600

- Graphic card: nVidia GTX680

- Screen: Glare

- OS Disk: SSD 256GB Serie 830 SATA3

- Data Disk: Momentus XT (Hybrid) 750GB

- Optic Reader/Writer: Blu-ray writer 6x

- Network Card: Bigfoot Networks Killer™ Wireless-N 1103

This laptop is an offering so what do you guys think of it?

And yes... it's an offering so that's why i have chosen 32Gb of ram.. and so on!

Currently i have this laptop:

ASUS - Notebooks- ASUS K50AB

So what do you guys think? Am i well served for the next 3/4 years? :Banane53:

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

Hardware is pretty sweet, not sure about the SSD though, isn't it Sammy ? I know it's reliable, but you can have much better performing SSDs nowadays.

Also, regarding the Bigfoot killer, make sure you check out your DPC latency with it's software installed.

Other than that - congratz on a killer rig :)

• Founder

I have the PM830, it holds up pretty well in performance. Maybe not the fastest out there but its also one of the more reliable drives and more than enough for most people. Congrats on the new system [MENTION=4779]zylor[/MENTION], that setup will last you a while and if you've read our 680M Performance Review then you know that GPU is a beast. What made you pick the 3820QM? You'd probably see no difference if you went with a 3720qm.

I have the PM830, it holds up pretty well in performance. Maybe not the fastest out there but its also one of the more reliable drives and more than enough for most people. Congrats on the new system [MENTION=4779]zylor[/MENTION], that setup will last you a while and if you've read our 680M Performance Review then you know that GPU is a beast. What made you pick the 3820QM? You'd probably see no difference if you went with a 3720qm.

Hey Brian! What made me choose the 3820QM is that since this laptop was offered i have chosen all the best components :D ehehe

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

• Founder
Hey Brian! What made me choose the 3820QM is that since this laptop was offered i have chosen all the best components :D ehehe

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

In that case get a 2920xm.

Sent from my GT-N7000

3920xm?

10char

The difference from 3820QM to 3920XM is minimal.. and since 3820QM has the clock multiplier unlocked i can easily OC'it to more 400Mhz easily achieving 3920XM speeds :D

So by doing this i spare 700€ for the 3920XM :D

Edit: Specifications differences: http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/844/Intel_Core_i7_Mobile_Extreme_Edition_i7-3920XM_vs_Intel_Core_i7_Mobile_i7-3820QM_(BGA).html

The difference is only the clock speed which can be easily achieved by 3820QM :D

• Founder
3920xm?

10char

Yeah typo I'm on my phone.

The difference from 3820QM to 3920XM is minimal.. and since 3820QM has the clock multiplier unlocked i can easily OC'it to more 400Mhz easily achieving 3920XM speeds :D

So by doing this i spare 700€ for the 3920XM :D

Edit: Specifications differences: http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/844/Intel_Core_i7_Mobile_Extreme_Edition_i7-3920XM_vs_Intel_Core_i7_Mobile_i7-3820QM_(BGA).html

The difference is only the clock speed which can be easily achieved by 3820QM :D

If you're getting the system for free, who cares about the price? And a 3820qm is locked, not unlocked. It's the xm with the unlocked multiplier. The 3820qm is a waste of money.

Sent from my GT-N7000

Not exactly... the 3920XM has an unlocked multiplier whereas the 3820QM can only raise the multi by 4... a properly cooled and overclocked 3920XM will simply destroy a 3820QM.

However, if you mainly want to play games the 3820QM is still an excellent choice.

EDIT: Ninja'd by phone Brian.

• Founder
Not exactly... the 3920XM has an unlocked multiplier whereas the 3820QM can only raise the multi by 4... a properly cooled and overclocked 3920XM will simply destroy a 3820QM.

However, if you mainly want to play games the 3820QM is still an excellent choice.

EDIT: Ninja'd by phone Brian.

:D Swype is failing me lately.

Sent from my GT-N7000

• Founder
And yet you have me thinking :X lolol

Well i can always upgrade later.. the can anyone take a doubt out of me? If i upgrade the price of the CPU will drop because i already have 3820QM right? Thanks :D

You can certainly do that.

Sent from my GT-N7000

You can certainly do that.

Sent from my GT-N7000

Without overclocking in mind i don't think this will be a major difference so i will leave it to be an upgrade :D

Yep, you can always sell it down the road pay the difference and be happy :-)

----

Asylumized!

Michael btw and sorry offtopic: Are you related to development on XDA? I'm a dev for MidNote Team :D

• Founder
Michael btw and sorry offtopic: Are you related to development on XDA? I'm a dev for MidNote Team :D

Not exactly related to development, but i am quite involved there.

so you're helping maxicet ?

I am using CM roms exclusively, hate sammy bloated firmwares. :)

• Founder
Without overclocking in mind i don't think this will be a major difference so i will leave it to be an upgrade :D

Yep you're right, it won't be much of a difference at stock speeds. Let us know how you like the system once you get it.

Not exactly related to development, but i am quite involved there.

so you're helping maxicet ?

I am using CM roms exclusively, hate sammy bloated firmwares. :)

Yep mate i am helping him... but currently he stopped answering my PM's so i kinda gave up on it.. and mainly because i am on CM roms too!

Yep you're right, it won't be much of a difference at stock speeds. Let us know how you like the system once you get it.

I'll post a review and some benchmarks in here! And i'll give you the link in this thread :D

• Founder
Yep mate i am helping him... but currently he stopped answering my PM's so i kinda gave up on it.. and mainly because i am on CM roms too!

Nice! Só you got a galaxy note? What rom are you running now?

P.S I think we should take it to pm

----

Asylumized!

Nice! Só you got a galaxy note? What rom are you running now?

P.S I think we should take it to pm

----

Asylumized!

Done sending PM! Will be kept like that!

Well i really wanted the 3920XM but i think letting this CPU until the end of the year, it may drop price and get it by then ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

Nice, don't forget pics + review!

First photos of unpacking and acessories... next install games, and the rest of the crap lol and afterwards enjoy it for a couple of days then organize and get a full review and benchmarks :D ehehhe

And guess what? I look like a 10 year old kid waiting for the new toy LOL :D

• Thumbs Up 1

P150EM here and just swapped from a 7970M to a 680M due to AMD Enduro issues.

The 680M is running so much better than the 7970M and I haven't even started with the OCing yet :)

Oh and also have a 3740QM running with XTU at 4.1GHz.

• Thumbs Up 2