M17x R4 GPU Fan running 4500 rpm all the time

HungryGhosts

Hey there. I have an M17x R4 which had its’ initial GPU die. That in turn caused gpu fan to go up to 4500-4600 rpm. I have since successfully installed 980m, but it seems that GPU fan is stuck at that speed. I’ve set up A15 bios (locked), but it didn’t help. PSA gives me error 2000-0511 on video fan, which, according to dell forums, means either software or hardware issue. Neither can I  control the fan speed in HWInfo - the program tells me gpu sensors/readings are disabled (despite actually showing respected readings in “sensors” tab).

Am I missing something here or is it just faulty gpu fan?

11 hours ago, MattyB said:

Have you got Support Assist installed? If you do then completely remove any trace of it and disable any Dell services in Task Manager. 

No, I did a clean install prior to setting up new GPU, so there is no Dell stuff, well, aside some basic drivers and AWCC.

• 4 weeks later...

A little update. After getting my hands on a donor fan, I can now attest that half of the issue was the old fan. That being said, new fan, while passing PSA proper, refuses to spin up while GPU is under stress. Well, at least it responds now to speed changes in HWInfo.