Clevo P150HM w/ GTX 980M

AlanP

Hi All

I've been searching all over the internet and these forums in particular and I just can't seem to get any answers regarding GPU upgrades for the Clevo P150HM. Neither can I get any real info on the difference between the HM and the EM model - the EM seems to be the much more talked about model.

Anyway, my current GTX 580M is causing a black screen very occasionally and I decided to purchase a used GTX 980M (N16E-GX-A1) from aliexpress as a replacement.

The seller isn't giving me much information and I am unsure if they've flashed the vbios on this card themselves, regardless of that I cannot seem to find a custom BIOS for this laptop either, the closest I found is P150EM_17_11_PM_v2 which is obviously for a EM not a HM model, again I don't know much about these two models and if attempting a flash with that BIOS will brick my laptop.

The 980M is the correct form factor, it fits in perfectly and even warms up when I turn the laptop on, I can see the POST screen display but then it simply maxes the fans and beeps out until it shuts down. It would seem to be a pretty clear indication of incompatibility.

Model: Clevo P150HM

MB Series: P150HMx

BIOS Revision: 1.01.14

KBC/EC Firmware Revision: 1.00.12

Another version number listed (not sure for what): 2.10.1208

I understand this is both an old subject and an even older laptop, but I would be extremely thankful for any help available and I am willing to drill down to create my own custom BIOS if necessary but I just need a point in the right direction.

Failing all that, its not the end of the world as they've already agreed to a return and refund if I can't figure this out.

Thank you.

Edited by AlanP
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 5 weeks later...

I'll have to look at the information I have at work, but from what I can remember, the HM's were only compatible up to the 680 or the 785.. i think. The 9 series drew too much current, needed more thermal dissapation, and all the video cards need Vbios matched to Main Bios and EC Bios, or you will get the thermal management error and forced shutdown.  I'll have to get back to you tomorrow though.

• 3 weeks later...