Lightest available 15+" RTX3050?

danjayh

Question

Hi all, considering upgrading my laptop and I'm wondering if anyone knows whether their are any particularly light 3050 based 15 or (preferably) 16" (16:10) laptops out? I'm aware of the ROG g14 as an option, but really want a bigger display. Seems like everything I can find is in the ~4lbs range, and I'm dreaming of something more in the upper ~2lbs to lower ~3lbs range. 1080 or 1200P is fine, soldered RAM is undesirable but acceptable, and I'm note hugely concerned with TGP. If there are any designs that magically jam a 3060 or 3070 into a light-ish laptop, please feel free to include them in consideration too. Ideally I'd like to stay under ~$1500, so I realize that higher tier GPUs will likely be inaccessible.

1 answer to this question

On 9/10/2022 at 5:24 PM, danjayh said:

Hi all, considering upgrading my laptop and I'm wondering if anyone knows whether their are any particularly light 3050 based 15 or (preferably) 16" (16:10) laptops out? I'm aware of the ROG g14 as an option, but really want a bigger display. Seems like everything I can find is in the ~4lbs range, and I'm dreaming of something more in the upper ~2lbs to lower ~3lbs range. 1080 or 1200P is fine, soldered RAM is undesirable but acceptable, and I'm note hugely concerned with TGP. If there are any designs that magically jam a 3060 or 3070 into a light-ish laptop, please feel free to include them in consideration too. Ideally I'd like to stay under ~$1500, so I realize that higher tier GPUs will likely be inaccessible.

Hi. Did you manage to find a laptop that would fit the described criteria? I've been looking for a similar hardware setup with a 16-17" screen and, therefore, a bit heavier. So far haven't had much luck with the search, though.

I figured the size of the screen could be the limiting factor when it comes to the weight of the machine. I used to have Asus ROG GL502 - a 15.6" laptop with 1060 that was slight over 2kg. Its dimensions, however, were almost identical to the 17" model. Yet I could never find a 17" model that would be below 2.8kg. I am searching for a replacement now, but it looks like the technology hasn't improved much over the last 5 years. Perhaps it is best going with the i-GPU after all, the only option we have right now for a 15.6-16" laptop below 1.8kg. Shall see how the upcoming AMD RDNA3.0 i-GPU performs, could be powerful enough for modest gaming needs.