A computer that last for a good while

samXLR

Hey all,

back in 2004 I bought a IBM ThinkPad T42 laptop, and that little buster is still working, sure i replaced an HD and the CPU's FAN but other then that the computer works flawlessly, (I used it as a school laptop for four years, then desktop replacement two years [no movement, didnt even close the screen lid] and sense then a school computer again) and the machine works.

I am now finally at the point where the old hardware wont cut it (2gbram\centrino 1.6ghz\80gb hd) as I need to run windows 8\visual studio 2011\office 2010 (or higher).

The T42 was sold to me for a shy 2200USD, I don't mind paying about the same this days, whats most important for me is reliability\durability, i don't need military grade computer, and no one can predict the future, but, was there any computer that was released from say.. 2010 to now that is known for not crushing and burning? anything that stands out?

I got my eyes right now on a x220T or X1, what do you people think?

• Founder

Hey buddy! Good to see you post here, welcome to T|I! ;)

x220T sounds like a good choice, in fact it's the only one that jumped at me while i was reading your post.

Lets see what others have to say...

Never had my hands on the X220T, but the X220 is an excellent machine, at least with the IPS screen. Very decent keyboard as usual and build quality is solid. Though I think the screen resolution should be bigger than 768p...

If you are a clumsy fellow like me, you will find the HP Elitebook series an interesting option. Sure they cost much more than notebooks with similar specs, but the reliability is outstanding. I dropped my 6930p a few times from about 1.5m while it was only protected by a cheap sleeve which didn't survive the first drop intact. The result was a 5mm long not very deep scratch, hardly visible. I also accidently tested the waterproofness of the keyboard with some softdrink. HP describes the design as business rugged and if the white house trusts these machines, I think we can do the same.

But as I already mentioned, they aren't cheap, but the hardware is easily accessible for upgrading. If you have two left hands and can get an Elitebook in some kind of student promotion or second hand it is definitely a good investment.

post-3507-14494993431653_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Welcome to T|I mate. :)

I have an X220 I use for university, it's a fantastic little laptop and though it lacks any real gaming ability I love it for the huge battery life, great screen and unbreakable feeling. I don't expect it to last me eight years though!!!*

I can say, of all the laptops I've seen other students with etc, this is the most likely to still be working in that timeframe.

Feel free to ask me anything more specific.

** 8 years???? Vehicles are pretty much the only thing I own that I keep for that long, well done! :77:

• Thumbs Up 1

X230 is out, so it's probably a better choice. That said, I use X200T and don't plan on replacing it any time soon (the proper dock station is simply a killer accessory). HP Elitebooks are also good, but in the US they seem a bit more expensive than X230. I suppose Elitebook 2570p is comparable to X230 but it has far inferior screen. Then there's also a new Thinkpad X1 Carbon and ASUS Zenbook that svl7 bought (its an ultrabook with an amazing screen).

I like thinkpads since they can take ocassional roughness.

• Thumbs Up 2

** 8 years????

Yes is is actually possible , I have notebook here which is definitely older. If you have quality hardware and I don't mean the electrical things here, but the cover and things like lid closing mechanism or the cd tray (mechanical parts), then this is a normal thing. The only problems are that such a machine will become slower and slower, because all other computers around get faster and eventually Microsoft will abandon the version of Windows you were using. Also you might want to repaste the cpu and clear the inside from dust. But there is nothing better than an old worthless computer in your hobby room.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

IBM has always had a dependable durable build. I have never owned one but seen them in action. A friend had a really old one and after being physically abused it still ran strong. Plastic was missing but hinge and everything was fully functional.

• 1 year later...

really it depends on what you want to do with the laptop. If you want lightweight portability, the x1 is pretty light and can handle quite a bit of data, whilst the x220 is a pretty great all rounder with more than what you need. If you need raw performance to last and don't mind about the weight or the wireless card quality, the y510p is an excellent choice, especially with the aluminum backing and palmrests.