Should I buy 10th, 11th, or 12th gen processor for my upgrade. Coming from 3770K

kagetsu

I've been searching the web trying to find an article about something removed from later versions of intel's processor line regarding video decoding or encoding... If it's been remove from both the 11th and 12th gen I'm leaning to the performance of the 12th gen to make a decision. But I've been talking to people that tell me to stick with a 10th gen... Being the last time I bought a processor was the i7 3770K I'm on now back in 2013-2014 I've fallen behind on the improvements along the way.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that you can not replace 3 generation processor with any other generation processor in same motherboard in your existing computer because of different sockets. If you thinking about upgrading motherboard , processor and other parts then it depends on how much money you thinking to spend. Older processors like 10 or 11 generation probably will cost les than latest 12 generation. But if there is no problem with money you can chose last generation as it probably will get longer drivers support. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I remember reading that Intel removed something from their processors concerning video processing or decoding... That's kinda driving me to think about possibly getting an older one. I encode and reencode alot of video. But does look like the latest generation is a winner so far. Money isn't an issue, since I usually get a unlocked overclocked processor and a asus maximus extreme for the long run... I'm coming from a i7-3770k maximus extreme IV. Honestly it runs fine lol. But a 1 1/2 hour encode taking only 20 mins is a huge deal to me especially since electricity prices are retarded right now...