NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

The mods for the 600 series mobile GPU,s has been amazing from the legend svl7.. Sooooooo. svl7, gonna be doing for 780m ?? If yes i will buy some.. lol

;)

Currently the 780m throttles like crazy when more voltage is added, I can't promise anything. If I can get my hands on a reasonable priced 780m I'll try to make it run as it should.

• Thumbs Up 2

Currently the 780m throttles like crazy when more voltage is added, I can't promise anything. If I can get my hands on a reasonable priced 780m I'll try to make it run as it should.

Yeah, no problem man thanks. Im heaps happy with my 680m,s atm so maybe i will wait a little while before i change them!! ;)

I am currently using the 680m GTX with 4gb of Ram on it. My computer was built from Ibuypower and it uses the motherboard MSI (from what I understand from them, it is the same as the GT70. I noticed my bios in my card said 80.04.33.00.24 (P2051-b002). Do I need to flash my bios on the 680m and if so I would assume I need the same 80.04.33.00.24? And if not would I need to copy the bios and let one of the masters here reprogram them?

Thank you

hi @svl7 thank you for your awesome mod vbios as i flash with it and the gpu core clock is 758MHZ and Memory 900Mhz in gpuz, i would like to flash with one of the 3 versions oc voltage that you post;

is the 3 versions have different gpu core clock and memory? which one have the higher than 758 Mhz?

hi @svl7 thank you for your awesome mod vbios as i flash with it and the gpu core clock is 758MHZ and Memory 900Mhz in gpuz, i would like to flash with one of the 3 versions oc voltage that you post;

is the 3 versions have different gpu core clock and memory? which one have the higher than 758 Mhz?

They all have the same default clocks. What's different is the voltage. Default is .987V, while those are 1V, 1.025V, and 1.05V.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you for your reply @Khenglish, do you have mod overclocked vbios file for dell 2gb 680m gpu clock 825 something?

- - - Updated - - -

Saltius made a mod @823mhz which works extremely well: (Some of us who have been in communication with him already have this file like myself, svl7, and widezu).

It is for the OEM Alienware m18x 680M cards:

Send me a PM if you would like to try it.

Is it 2gb dell 680m card? can you send me the file, please?

guys how can i backup my vbios on my dell 7720 3D ver.? i try to use nvidia inspector/gpu-z/nvflash, but none of them works.. any help? i wish svl7 can look at my vbios and help me overclock it :s

Hi, I just recently bought my first laptop in forever. It has a MSI gtx 675MX 4GB card in it. I registered to try and download the vbios so I could do some overclocking, but every time I try to download it, it says I have insufficient privileges. Any help please :(. I oc'ed using afterburning and saw a 10fps increase just from raising the clock by 135. I would really like to OC further.

Hi, I just recently bought my first laptop in forever. It has a MSI gtx 675MX 4GB card in it. I registered to try and download the vbios so I could do some overclocking, but every time I try to download it, it says I have insufficient privileges. Any help please :(. I oc'ed using afterburning and saw a 10fps increase just from raising the clock by 135. I would really like to OC further.
You need 5 posts to download it.

Hi, I'm just learning all these things about overclocking and it would be very much kind of you to help me. I just have some simple queries.

These are my Specs:

Alienware M17X R4

Core 17 3740QM

GTX 680M

After reading all sorts of forums from here and there, I think the basic thing we are performing is to increase the Core Clock of any GPU, thereby pushing it to its limits at the same hand keeping its temperature in check. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, Overclocking can't be done with the GPU's vBIOS locked, thereby we must first unlock it by flashing it.

Now that the Vbios is unlocked we can adjust its clocks and voltage levels. I hope I got it right till now. :shame2:

I use MSI Afterburner to monitor and overclocking (At least I thought it was). I can increase my GPU's core clock without flashing any vBIOS.

I get a stable 718 MHz at 2D and around 757 MHz after enabling 3D. Won't I get a better performance just by increasing it's Core Clock speed?

Also, regarding the voltage levels, what do they mean and do we have anything to do with it while overclocking?

I was so confused after reading forums from almost everywhere, maybe that was my mistake. Maybe I believe half-knowledge is poison. Call me amateur, but please provide me facts,

I may have got things wrong above, please correct me. I will be grateful.

Awaiting Replies.

Hi, I'm just learning all these things about overclocking and it would be very much kind of you to help me. I just have some simple queries.

These are my Specs:

Alienware M17X R4

Core 17 3740QM

GTX 680M

After reading all sorts of forums from here and there, I think the basic thing we are performing is to increase the Core Clock of any GPU, thereby pushing it to its limits at the same hand keeping its temperature in check. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, Overclocking can't be done with the GPU's vBIOS locked, thereby we must first unlock it by flashing it.

Now that the Vbios is unlocked we can adjust its clocks and voltage levels. I hope I got it right till now. :shame2:

I use MSI Afterburner to monitor and overclocking (At least I thought it was). I can increase my GPU's core clock without flashing any vBIOS.

I get a stable 718 MHz at 2D and around 757 MHz after enabling 3D. Won't I get a better performance just by increasing it's Core Clock speed?

Also, regarding the voltage levels, what do they mean and do we have anything to do with it while overclocking?

I was so confused after reading forums from almost everywhere, maybe that was my mistake. Maybe I believe half-knowledge is poison. Call me amateur, but please provide me facts,

I may have got things wrong above, please correct me. I will be grateful.

Awaiting Replies.

With the default bios you are limited to only a 135mhz overclock on the core but are unlimited on the memory. The modified bios removes the 135mhz limit, as well as bios settings that reduce frequencies when power draw is high. Without these power limiting features removed, your core clock would be running below what you set it to when overclocking. Some clock reduction will still occur when the card is under light load and the power is not needed, but you will not have clock reduction due to the card working hard and drawing a lot of power. svl7 also increased the default core clock slightly to 758 since the default 719 is incredibly low for what the card is capable of.

In regards to memory overclocking, it does provide a substantial benefit to the 680m, and 680m memory can be overclocked a lot. Many programs report memory clocks oddly. The actual default frequency of the 680m memory is 900MHz, but you will often hear of it being referred to as 1800MHz, and 3600MHz. This confusion arises because of the advent of DDR (double data rate) memory around 12 years ago, and the fact that GDDR5, the memory in your card, is not DDR, but QDR (quad data rate). When DDR came out people started saying that cards ran at double their actual frequency since it provided twice the bandwidth at the same bus width and frequency as single data rate memory. When GDDR5 came out not everyone doubled how they reported frequency again, even though GDDR5 gives double the data rate as DDR at the same frequency and bus width. Overclocking programs like msi afterburner and nvidia inspector use the old and inaccurate convention of reporting double the actual frequency, even though that number corresponds to nothing on GDDR5. So in summary the default speed is 900MHz, but effectively 3600MHz. Overclocking programs report it as 1800MHz. If you overclock +400MHz on memory, you will actually be running at 1100MHz, or 4400MHz effective.

Higher voltage allows a card's core to run faster. Ex. at the default voltage of .987V my card can do 940MHz stable. With the voltage raised to 1.05V it can do 1019MHz stable. Voltage increases even with no frequency increase result in a V^2 increase in power draw. Ex. running 1.05V at the same clocks as .987V results in a 13.2% increase in power draw. Running higher frequency increases power draw linearly. Ex if you double the frequency while holding the voltage constant, you doubled your power draw.

• Thumbs Up 1

With the default bios you are limited to only a 135mhz overclock on the core but are unlimited on the memory. The modified bios removes the 135mhz limit, as well as bios settings that reduce frequencies when power draw is high. Without these power limiting features removed, your core clock would be running below what you set it to when overclocking. Some clock reduction will still occur when the card is under light load and the power is not needed, but you will not have clock reduction due to the card working hard and drawing a lot of power. svl7 also increased the default core clock slightly to 758 since the default 719 is incredibly low for what the card is capable of.

In regards to memory overclocking, it does provide a substantial benefit to the 680m, and 680m memory can be overclocked a lot. Many programs report memory clocks oddly. The actual default frequency of the 680m memory is 900MHz, but you will often hear of it being referred to as 1800MHz, and 3600MHz. This confusion arises because of the advent of DDR (double data rate) memory around 12 years ago, and the fact that GDDR5, the memory in your card, is not DDR, but QDR (quad data rate). When DDR came out people started saying that cards ran at double their actual frequency since it provided twice the bandwidth at the same bus width and frequency as single data rate memory. When GDDR5 came out not everyone doubled how they reported frequency again, even though GDDR5 gives double the data rate as DDR at the same frequency and bus width. Overclocking programs like msi afterburner and nvidia inspector use the old and inaccurate convention of reporting double the actual frequency, even though that number corresponds to nothing on GDDR5. So in summary the default speed is 900MHz, but effectively 3600MHz. Overclocking programs report it as 1800MHz. If you overclock +400MHz on memory, you will actually be running at 1100MHz, or 4400MHz effective.

Higher voltage allows a card's core to run faster. Ex. at the default voltage of .987V my card can do 940MHz stable. With the voltage raised to 1.05V it can do 1019MHz stable. Voltage increases even with no frequency increase result in a V^2 increase in power draw. Ex. running 1.05V at the same clocks as .987V results in a 13.2% increase in power draw. Running higher frequency increases power draw linearly. Ex if you double the frequency while holding the voltage constant, you doubled your power draw.

Firstly, thanks for replying! It really meant a lot.

At least now I got the basic picture, but I don't realize why Nvidia seriously downclocked this GPU. Now that I have the information I need, I am going to OC. I tried it previously with MSI Afterburner, but I guess now it's only a fraction to what it's actually capable of.

I understand that the card gets hungry at higher clocks so we raise the Voltage Levels for higher clock stability. What do you mean by stability actually? ( Is that the check on temperature, driver limit? )

I wanted to know if the core clock fluctuation is normal? I raised to 875 and there was no constant clock, it simply went up and down. The graph was erratic.

I know that by increase in clock, my card will be doing good but how to keep the Memory Clock in check? Is there a relation between those two like for example memory should be 2.5x the core clock?

Firstly, thanks for replying! It really meant a lot.

At least now I got the basic picture, but I don't realize why Nvidia seriously downclocked this GPU. Now that I have the information I need, I am going to OC. I tried it previously with MSI Afterburner, but I guess now it's only a fraction to what it's actually capable of.

I understand that the card gets hungry at higher clocks so we raise the Voltage Levels for higher clock stability. What do you mean by stability actually? ( Is that the check on temperature, driver limit? )

I wanted to know if the core clock fluctuation is normal? I raised to 875 and there was no constant clock, it simply went up and down. The graph was erratic.

I know that by increase in clock, my card will be doing good but how to keep the Memory Clock in check? Is there a relation between those two like for example memory should be 2.5x the core clock?

Stability refers to a card not outputting errors. Calculation errors can cause the graphics driver to crash and visible rendering errors such as black splotches, missing lights, random triangles, etc. Sometimes they look pretty cool, but if you see them a crash is coming soon.

Yes fluctuation in clocks is normal. The card will do that to save power if the extra performance is not needed. For example if whatever you are playing is limited by the CPU and the gpu has plenty of power to spare, you can expect the card to clock a bit below what you set it to. Sometimes though it does underclock the card too much if you have performance set to "adaptive" in the nvidia control panel. I have mine set to "maximum performance" which makes the card clock down less, and this does result in an fps increase in some cases. I haven't noticed any difference in battery life since the card is off most of the time anyway when on battery.

There is no required ratio between core and memory clock. You can clock both independently to whatever you want.

Also most people use nvidia inspector to overclock laptops since msi afterburner has a bug that makes it take forever to open on optimus systems.

With the card running on default voltage you can expect to reach 890->980 on the core, and 4300->5000 on the memory, depending on how good your card is.

• Thumbs Up 1

K3000m added to the first post, let me know if all is fine.

And here's a 675mx with more voltage, please let me if it works as expected.

Does anyone want to take this and mod it for the MSI 2GB verson please? I would love to test but I don't have the 4GB card :(

Also, does anyone now why my GPU Usage ALWAYS looks like this while playing Crysis 3 or FarCry 3?

No other games do this... they will all max out GPU Usage at 100% while these games make it jumpy, causing frame drops left and right... it kind of makes the games unplayable

post-2655-14494995477209_thumb.png

This is how it looks with all other games:

post-2655-14494995477618_thumb.png

Does anyone want to take this and mod it for the MSI 2GB verson please? I would love to test but I don't have the 4GB card :(

Also, does anyone now why my GPU Usage ALWAYS looks like this while playing Crysis 3 or FarCry 3?

No other games do this... they will all max out GPU Usage at 100% while these games make it jumpy, causing frame drops left and right... it kind of makes the games unplayable

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7785[/ATTACH]

This is how it looks with all other games:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7786[/ATTACH]

Maybe you are getting cpu limited and its causing the usage on the card to drop. I get this in BF3 at times, but it doesnt happen often.

Maybe you are getting cpu limited and its causing the usage on the card to drop. I get this in BF3 at times, but it doesnt happen often.
I kind of have a similar problem with GTA 4. When I was finding for a reason, I found out that my CPU was limited making the usage fluctuate.

But I have an i7 3610... that has to be enough for the CPU side of any game, right? Metro 2033 never does this, neither does Skyrim

But I have an i7 3610... that has to be enough for the CPU side of any game, right? Metro 2033 never does this, neither does Skyrim

I've found BF3 to be pretty cpu intensive, but I don't think cpu limit is your problem here.

It doesn't look like you're hitting the 90C throttle since gpu clocks are not dropping even though performance is. Note that if you do fix this throttle that you will be hitting 90C and experience throttling because of that, but the performance impact should be more mild.

I got similar drops in gpu usage when running my card for a while with a slightly unstable memory overclock. Try dropping your clocks a little.

If that doesn't fix it, then I think your problem is throttling due to high power draw. Default bios will throttle when under heavy load even if temps are ok. You may be able to run a 2GB dell BIOS, but I am not certain. I suggest waiting for what svl7 says you can flash on.

I've found BF3 to be pretty cpu intensive, but I don't think cpu limit is your problem here.

It doesn't look like you're hitting the 90C throttle since gpu clocks are not dropping even though performance is. Note that if you do fix this throttle that you will be hitting 90C and experience throttling because of that, but the performance impact should be more mild.

I got similar drops in gpu usage when running my card for a while with a slightly unstable memory overclock. Try dropping your clocks a little.

If that doesn't fix it, then I think your problem is throttling due to high power draw. Default bios will throttle when under heavy load even if temps are ok. You may be able to run a 2GB dell BIOS, but I am not certain. I suggest waiting for what svl7 says you can flash on.

Interesting... I do at the moment have the 2GB MSI voltmod BIOS that is on the OP... and you're right it must be power draw, the default BIOS didn't do this... but it only gave me 4000 on 3d mark 11 while the voltmod gets me 7000+. I guess I'll just wait on a reply like you suggest lol

• Brian featured this topic