NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

@svl7 A fellow x7200 user with 680M SLI tried the new modded Clevo 80.04.67. vbios, and couldn't get past the BIOS loading screen, it just went off. He used his 480M and was able to boot from it & flash it back, so all is fine again.

But now I'm kinda scared of that .67 vbios... do you think it's because he had SLI? Should I still go ahead and try it? BTW Usually the x7200 is not similar to the HM series, since it has no iGPU at all, not even a disabled one.

I know, and he already PMd me, but I have no idea what is causing the issues in his system. It works fine for you, and there's no reason why it should cause any issues.

It works fine for you, and there's no reason why it should cause any issues.

The 80.04.33 works fine for me, I have not tried the .67 yet due to my exams. But if you really think it should not cause any issues I will go ahead and try it.

Before flashing your GTX680M, i think you 'd better ask the other user, what is his laptop bios version.

The Issues with the new vbios seem to be related to an un-compatibility between the laptop bios and the gpu vbios. (like we can see with apu71 page 65 who got problems with his P150em and Moz and other who succeded flashing their card but with the latest laptop bios)

Does he test the vbios 80.04.33?

Trust me, this is very frustrating to have an unusable GTX680M ...

• Thumbs Up 1

I tried the Clevo 915Mhz 0.962 on the P170EM and I bricked the card. I readed it was not suited for PxxHM no indication for the EM series so I tried.

Fortunately just the P150HM allowed me to flash back the card and work it again. I had nothing than a screen with Intel sandybridge SVGA etc etc and from there no F2-F7 options. Swapping the card on P150HM instead after 3 beeps i booted from the usb and flashed again.

So are these bioses good for the PxxxEM series? I noticed that the lenght of the files are about 157kb against the 88k of the original or the MSI based bios.

I've seen furtherly that all the clevo_revised version have higher lenght except for the .29. Now I'm back to the MSI based bios and i'm a bit scared to have other experiments, but the undervolted version is really what i'm looking for cause i got some throttling with very intensive gpu using games.

Before flashing your GTX680M, i think you 'd better ask the other user, what is his laptop bios version.

The Issues with the new vbios seem to be related to an un-compatibility between the laptop bios and the gpu vbios. (like we can see with apu71 page 65 who got problems with his P150em and Moz and other who succeded flashing their card but with the latest laptop bios)

Sorry, I was so concerned I did not read the answer right in front of me.

Yes, it can be this incompatibility with laptop bios. Indeed my supplier is european and for what i know, they delivery bios that apparently are for the PxxxEM generic series, but a little different from usa clevo supplier. For example the fn+1 that turns on the fans at maximum speed feature is disabled on my model but on other same usa model is instead enabled.

So it comes a little bit tricky if this is true, cause it needs really to be carefull flashing new vbios.

Thank you so mutch Tonrac.. After updating the bios in my laptop I was finally able to flash my 680m sli with the latest vbios to Svl7.

• Thumbs Up 1

If its a case of BIOS issues, maybe everyone should switch to a Sager BIOS? I just emailed them for mine. I'm not exactly sure if I can share the BIOS either, but I highly recommend everyone to email them if you want an update.

EDIT: For Clevo systems of course.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
If its a case of BIOS issues, maybe everyone should switch to a Sager BIOS? I just emailed them for mine. I'm not exactly sure if I can share the BIOS either, but I highly recommend everyone to email them if you want an update.

EDIT: For Clevo systems of course.

That sounds like the best solution provided the end builders aren't messing with the hardware after Clevo makes it.

Question guru's... I have an MSI GT60-onc... If i upgrade and get any brand of nvdia GTX680M is it compatible? Manufacturers from Alienware, CLevo, or Eurocom? And do I need ESD strap & mat while changing the card? Or just Do-It-Yourself to avoid static while replacing the card. Thanks<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Just for information and to be helpful. As told in the previous post I got a P170EM with bios version 1.01.05 EC06.

I installed the modded vbios 915Mhz 0.962v and I bricked the card. Fortunately i found the way to flash back the card.

So I updated the system bios to the version 1.02.14 with EC 1.02.12 and reloaded the same vbios. The system started normally.

So, if you have to update the gtx680m vbios with the downvolted version 915Mhz/0,962v be sure to have the latest bios version for the PxxxEM series.

• Thumbs Up 3

It won't throttle at temps like 80°C, no idea about 90°C... but if your card runs at such high temps you have a problem anyway. Even in my M15x which was never designed for such a card I won't hit 80°C during gaming.

If you get to 90°C you should repaste and maybe try a retention mod. What system are you using?

Thanks for the reply :)

I'm using a P150EM, and am having issues with throttling at stock clocks. I've pasted and repasted and repasted, it definitely isn't a thermal compound issue. What is the retention mod you mention?

Well, I'd say the heatsink mounting of the Clevos is a bit weak... if you manage to increase the pressure on the GPU die things might improve a lot.

There different ways to do this, one possibility is to slightly grind down the four 'posts' of the backplate which are holding the screws (like this) or possibly by removing those two extra distant holders at hole 3 & 4 of the heatsink. Or with a copper shim if you have one, but that's probably less efficient.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hey svl7 wut tools did u use to grind down those posts? Im having the heating issues on my p150em also. Using ic diamond 7 and repasted maybe 3 times with same results. Im gonna try to add on copper heatsinks and grind downbthose posts to see if itll make a difference

I solved my issue. Turns out my GPU heatsink wasn't even close to being flat, it is (was) quite concave. Straightened it out and my load temps are down from 89 degrees (and throttling) to 68. @drgnblues1 you may want to check your heatsink too before you go permanently modifying anything. Everything seemed ok with mine - it was spreading paste out nicely and it is hard to judge how flat it is thanks to the screw/mounting tags on the bottom of it but if you hold a perfectly flat edge such as a metal ruler across the bottom of it you should be able to tell.

Thanks to svl7 for putting the heatsink contact pressure/area in my mind, led me to find the answer :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Apologies if this has already been reported or discussed svl7 (searched thread and couldn't see it) but it seems that when using any of your clevo 680m bioses in post #1, xfire crashes any directx game within a few seconds - must be something to do with the in-game overlay that it uses. Is there any known fix/workaround for this, or am I able to provide you any data to help troubleshoot?

Thanks!

The vbios files in the second post is what I recommend, they perform better... but no idea about those issues. Never heard about xfire either. Is there any kind of error message / log?

• Thumbs Up 1

@L33: I wasn't on for a while, but seems you posted the fix before I did. (Work is hell)

Funny story. When I ordered my P150EM, there was a piece of tape covering the metal contact on the CPU, thus no connection with heatsink and instantly generating 90-95C temps. removed it and was quickly dropped to 37-41C.

If your heatsink is sitting a bit above the fan, I may suggest a very thin row of aluminum foil tape to fix the airflow to further decrease temps.

The vbios files in the second post is what I recommend, they perform better... but no idea about those issues. Never heard about xfire either. Is there any kind of error message / log?

Sorry, I meant bioses from the 2nd post not the first :)

Thanks for the reply, I'll post the crash log/output this evening when I get home from work.

FWIW xfire is a game-oriented instant messenger, and uses an in-game overlay similar to what Steam etc do. Disabling the in-game overlay stops the crashing, as does going back to my original vBIOS that I backed up (80.04.29.00.01 unmodified). I haven't tried your modified 80.04.67.00.01 yet, as for me the 80.04.33.00.10 undervolted BIOS is perfect other than this crashing.

I've also tried just about every driver version from 302.77 to 310.70.

- - - Updated - - -

@L33: I wasn't on for a while, but seems you posted the fix before I did. (Work is hell)

Funny story. When I ordered my P150EM, there was a piece of tape covering the metal contact on the CPU, thus no connection with heatsink and instantly generating 90-95C temps. removed it and was quickly dropped to 37-41C.

If your heatsink is sitting a bit above the fan, I may suggest a very thin row of aluminum foil tape to fix the airflow to further decrease temps.

After seeing the state of my GPU heatsink I'm going to check my CPU one too even though temperatures seem OK.

I've also done the foil tape 'fix' on the GPU fan, temperatures dropped a further 2 degrees and it seems a little quieter now too! I guess there is less air disruption :)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Brian featured this topic