NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Im sitting on an Asus g750jh with a 780m gtx, and after i flashed my bios to the modified one, i lost fan control

Hmm so that is the case then it seems...is there any way to modify fan behavior via these BIOS? Or perhaps an updated BIOS that will enable fan control?

Hey guys, where can I find stock vbios for my GTX880M? appreciate your help. Currently I am using mainboard P15SM-A/SM1-A

I have the stock vbios from my P170SM-A. It should be the same. Shoot me a pm and I will send it.

svl7,

I have your modded vBIOS, i've tried disabling driver enforcement, i've tried the -bcdedit trick, i've tried safemode, and I cannot get 340.52 to install. It says something about the card not being recognized. I presume this is due to the modded vBIOS. What should I do? (And if the answer is to flash the vBIOS to stock just to install a new driver, and do that every single time... it's gonna be really sucky)

svl7,

I have your modded vBIOS, i've tried disabling driver enforcement, i've tried the -bcdedit trick, i've tried safemode, and I cannot get 340.52 to install. It says something about the card not being recognized. I presume this is due to the modded vBIOS. What should I do? (And if the answer is to flash the vBIOS to stock just to install a new driver, and do that every single time... it's gonna be really sucky)

340 drivers are not worth upgrading to anyway. Rule of thumb with nVidia drivers lately - don't update if everything works. Those drivers aren't even faster than the 337.88

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I've sent you pm.. thanks a lot for kind offer..

- - - Updated - - -

PM replied.

- - - Updated - - -

340 drivers are not worth upgrading to anyway. Rule of thumb with nVidia drivers lately - don't update if everything works. Those drivers aren't even faster than the 337.88

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

337.88??? Luxury! I am still using 327.23 and it drink it from a rolled up newspaper!

PM replied.

- - - Updated - - -

337.88??? Luxury! I am still using 327.23 and it drink it from a rolled up newspaper!

I m using 340.52. Should I rollback to 337.88 before I flash mod vbios for my 880M?Or I can flash it right away? Thank in advance.

Hi guys, been a lurker here for a while. I have a M18xR2 (680m SLI) and the Alienware 18 (780m SLI). I flashed using the vbios mods for both the 680m and 780m and have noticed the same issue on both laptops: resolution/refresh rate combinations disappear and cannot be utilized. [See screenshot: imgur: the simple image sharer]

I have a 144hz monitor (BenQ XL2420Z) and I have it connected via the mini-DP port in both laptops. When everything works properly, I can use any res on the monitor at any of it's refresh rates (144, 120, or 100Hz.)

• I am not exactly sure if this problem would have occurred even without flashing the BIOS, but I can only use very specific drivers for the 680m setup now (314.22)-- most others (even with the modded INF) causes resolutions to be missing and refresh rate issues.
  • I cannot add the missing resolutions/refresh rates via the custom option in the drivers either-- it's almost like they dont exist.
  • Same thing happens with the 780m setup, except I can't find ANY drivers that work properly.
  • Another quirk is that the list of resolutions/refresh rates available change randomly with restarts, closing the laptop lid, re-plugging in the mini-DP cable, etc. In other words, something is clearly not compatible but I can't figure out what.

Steps taken:

• As I mentioned, I already tried modding the INF files. Is there somewhere I can find the original vBios for both the 680m and 780m that comes with the Alienware laptops? [Edit: looks like Video Bios Collection | techPowerUp could be a resource.]
  • I had backed up my original bios for the 780m and actually flashed back to it-- same issues occurred. Note: clock settings stayed overclocked after I flashed back-- is this normal? The splash screen when you boot up is now gone though.
  • I have also ordered another DP to mini-DP cable, as well as a Dual DVI to mini-DP adapter which I will try, in case it is a cable issue (but it wouldn't make sense why the resolutions appear properly for any drivers then.) Any help would be appreciated!

Since this same issue has occurred in two different systems with different cards (680m and 780m), I am going to brainstorm out loud:

• I have used 2 or 3 different 120/144Hz BenQ monitors that have all caused this issue at various different times
  • issues occurred on different laptops with different cards
  • both cards were flashed at some point
  • the only connection between the two system then are: cards in both systems were flashed at some point, only BenQ monitors, and 2 different displayport to mini-DP cables were used.

My conclusion is that there is either some weird compatibility between 120/144Hz BenQ monitors and nVidia cards (likely), or that there is something wrong with my monitor / cable (unlikely.)

Do you guys have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Hi guys, been a lurker here for a while. I have a M18xR2 (680m SLI) and the Alienware 18 (780m SLI). I flashed using the vbios mods for both the 680m and 780m and have noticed the same issue on both laptops: resolution/refresh rate combinations disappear and cannot be utilized.

I have a 144hz monitor (BenQ XL2420Z) and I have it connected via the mini-DP port in both laptops. When everything works properly, I can use any res on the monitor at any of it's refresh rates (144, 120, or 100Hz.)

• I am not exactly sure if this problem would have occurred even without flashing the BIOS, but I can only use very specific drivers for the 680m setup now (314.22)-- most others (even with the modded INF) causes resolutions to be missing and refresh rate issues.
  • I cannot add the missing resolutions/refresh rates via the custom option in the drivers either-- it's almost like they dont exist.
  • Same thing happens with the 780m setup, except I can't find ANY drivers that work properly.
  • Another quirk is that the list of resolutions/refresh rates available change randomly with restarts, closing the laptop lid, re-plugging in the mini-DP cable, etc. In other words, something is clearly not compatible but I can't figure out what.

Steps taken:

• As I mentioned, I already tried modding the INF files. Is there somewhere I can find the original vBios for both the 680m and 780m that comes with the Alienware laptops? [Edit: looks like Video Bios Collection | techPowerUp could be a resource.]
  • I had backed up my original bios for the 780m and actually flashed back to it-- same issues occurred. Note: clock settings stayed overclocked after I flashed back-- is this normal? The splash screen when you boot up is now gone though.
  • I have also ordered another DP to mini-DP cable, as well as a Dual DVI to mini-DP adapter which I will try, in case it is a cable issue (but it wouldn't make sense why the resolutions appear properly for any drivers then.) Any help would be appreciated!

Do you guys have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

All I can add that it's not JUST a problem with the latest drivers. I use a custom refresh rate on my monitor using 'create custom resolution' in the NVidia control panel (on my laptop internal panel), and don't have any issues with the latest drivers. So, it's something specific with your machine, maybe combined with the latest drivers too. It's a confusing one!

@cr0t3x It's not vBIOS related.

Corrupted drivers (v314.22), try running Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) (Create restore point / first option) then install v327.23 or v337.88 (updated SLI profiles) both cards.

Open Issues in Version 340.52

[3DVision]: While playing a stereoscopic 3D video with stereoscopic 3D enabled, the monitor refresh rate switches to 60 Hz after changing the resolution using the Windows control panel. [1314811]

Not that simple, this is only a part of it. I reported the 680m/120Hz bug (fixed v326.01), yet again they messed up 7xxM/120Hz & v340.43/340.52. Reported, refresh rate reverts to 60Hz upon reboot and other issues e.g. Aw 17 3D blank screen. That's why it's listed as a '3DVision bug' repeated caquita.

@cr0t3x It's not vBIOS related.

Corrupted drivers (v314.22), try running Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) then install v327.23 or v337.88 both cards.

Open Issues in Version 340.52

• [3DVision]: While playing a stereoscopic 3D video with stereoscopic 3D enabled, the monitor refresh rate switches to 60 Hz after changing the resolution using the Windows control panel. [1314811]

Not that simple, this is only a part of it. I reported the 680m/120Hz bug (fixed v326.01), yet again they they messed up 7xxM/120Hz & v340.43/340.52. Reported, refresh rate reverts to 60Hz upon reboot and other issues e.g. Aw 17 3D blank screen. That's why it's listed as a '3DVision bug'.

Thanks for the suggestion-- I will try it out now and edit this post to report back (installing 337.88 on my 680m setup.)

To clarify, how come this issue only affects some 120hz+ users but not others? If this is a corrupted driver issue, shouldn't everyone with 120hz+ monitors be complaining?

Different issues, possible driver corruption (v314.22) or certain monitors problems. Blank screen & refresh rate issues Monitor display blank screen issue after driver update (Updated 1/23/14)

Neither 337.88 nor 327.23 worked for my 680m setup (see screenshots.)

As I mentioned in my earlier thread, I don't have any solutions for my 780m setup-- no drivers I have tried so far have worked with it. If I mod the 314.22 INF file, would it work with the 780m (driver was released before 780m was out)? Maybe I could try that as an interim solution.

Neither 337.88 nor 327.23 worked for my 680m setup (see screenshots.)

As I mentioned in my earlier thread, I don't have any solutions for my 780m setup-- no drivers I have tried so far have worked with it. If I mod the 314.22 INF file, would it work with the 780m (driver was released before 780m was out)? Maybe I could try that as an interim solution.

Here you go,

GeForce 314.22 WHQL

Win8/8.1 -> disable driver signing.

Is secure boot enabled? if so disable it (Legacy Boot) unlocked vBIOS.

nvdmn.inf_v314.22_AW18_GTX_780M.zip

Here you go,

GeForce 314.22 WHQL

Win8/8.1 -> disable driver signing.

Is secure boot enabled? if so disable it (Legacy Boot) when using the unlocked vBIOS.

I am typing away on 120hz on my Alienware 18 at last. I am back on the original vBIOS to rule that out, but I will flash the unlocked vBIOS again soon (since it seems pretty clear this issue was unrelated to that.) Since this worked, I wonder if I will be losing out on performance benefits on the later drivers (314.22 came out a few months before the 780m was released.) This is a good interim solution for me, but in your opinion, what's the long term play here? It seems like these BenQ monitors (XL2420Z) might just have weird compatibility issues with mobile nVidia cards.

BTW, is it worth seeing if using the dual DVI port of the monitor changes anything? I was going to buy a dual DVI to mini-DP active adapter.

tl;dr: You're a man of legend.

• Thumbs Up 1

@cr0t3x report it here (full specs).

Driver related as always, v314.22 works fine.

Specs? OS?

Input Connectors: D-sub + DVI-DL + HDMI x 2 + DP1.2 / headphone jack Amazon.com: BenQ XL2420Z 24-Inch Screen LED-Lit Professional Gaming Monitor: Computers & Accessories

DP 1.2 Amazon.com: Accell B143B-007J UltraAV Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort 1.2 Cable with Latch, White, 6.6-Feet: Electronics

At least some tiny resistors.

No idea how much the board can actually handle though... :)

Define "crash". You got an AW17? The mobo of that machine doesn't seem to have a lot of headroom. Looks as if you hit a wall.

No, I'm afraid I can't really follow. The vbios itself is fine, it has been tested on different system. Ever tried running with stock cpu speeds? I have no idea how the R1 mobo behaves.

so my aw17 with 880m and 4910mq overclocked draws 280+ Watt around it seems to work with the 240w PSU but i bought 330w and once i run a 3dmark11 benchmark with the 330W the PSU shutdown lol and laptop run on battery is that PSU problem or the mainboard limit which shutdown the psu.

• Brian featured this topic