NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

The new Alienware 17 is limited on power ive got a 240W and mr fox suggest me to get a 330W will that help ? i mean the mobo has the limit, but even tho i run my 4910m @ 1.155v i am not able to overclock the card stable its flickerin at +100mv and shutdown after 5-10 seconds.. and restarts... i am really confused.

I doubt it will help, the 240W PSU is sufficient for your setup unless you would want to push it to the limits, which is not possible anyways.

unfortunatly as of today i had to revert to the original vBios for my 880M.

no game/benchmark i tried (dota2 / watchdogs / 3Dmark11 / 3Dmark13) ran for more than a few seconds without either constant throttling (read: erradic switching between 993/836/614mhz core) or a complete video-driver crash.

however i did not try to use an older v-driver (327.xx is what has been suggested i believe) since i don´t see a reason using an old driver just so the standard clocks keep stable.

using v337.88 + original vbios at least i was able to play games with (although it still throttles the core some times).

kinda sad right now, coming from an 680M with a modifed vbios, i really hoped for more. but i guess nivdia fuc*ed it up this time around -.-

What's your system?

I have a hunch that the default voltage of the vbios mod might be too low for some cards. Try a run with like 25-37mv more.

i used as5 and mr fox told me about liquid ultra... all i can tell you is it gave me -9 c° on cpu and gpu around. Ive tested it on 2x AW 17 and both running now better and overclocking higher... my 4910mq is running 4.1GHZ on all 4xcores with max temp of 81c before it was 89-90. GPU from from 87 to 79.

Thanks for the info, and good for users with temperature issues, but my temperatures are ok, max 73 degC on CPU when gaming (83 degC with Prime 95), and the GPU temp is 67 degC, so I'll leave the liquid ultra alone - isn't it electrically conductive and therefore dangerous if not applied properly?

(Did you do the Prime 95 & Unigine Heaven test at stock GPU frequencies (obviously using svl7's vBIOS though) like I suggested?).

What's your system?

I have a hunch that the default voltage of the vbios mod might be too low for some cards. Try a run with like 25-37mv more.

i have a AW M17xR4 with a 240W psu.

tried both +25 and 37mv, still the exact same behaviour as described above. throttle + driver-crash as soon as i try to cancel it or the next test is beeing loaded.

edit: also tried to run furmark today. results are: core-clock won´t go higher than 614mhz and still throttles between this and 234mhz.

Can I use all of these BIOS versions for my 680m? What is the right bios for my 680m? (Dell Alienware M18xR2)

Here is my card

post-18691-14494997764349_thumb.jpg

Why did I get quoted in that string? lol

@deadsmiley - let me know how the MX-4 works out for you. I'm starting to agree with svl7's notion that there may not be enough pressure with this heatsink to use a thinner paste like MX-4 so I ordered a tube of IC Diamond.

During my temperature testing I ran the laptop with an external display with the bottom cover removed. Applying pressure to the GPU heat sink did not change the temperature one bit. I tried the four corners and the four sides and still no change.

Reading this thread gave me some ideas.

http://forum.techinferno.com/clevo/5275-%5Bhardware-mod%5D-clevo-p150-p170-cooling-system-solutions-here.html

At some point I will look into checking the flatness of the heatsink plate.

yo guys i dont know why but my 880m memory is just epic...i can overclock it stable to +1000 lol...

gives me about 9500 score in 3d mark 11 without touching GPU clock... 993/3500

this is 3dmark 11 and 3dmark score

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i3/i5/i7 4xxx,Alienware 04WT2G

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i3/i5/i7 4xxx,Alienware 04WT2G

Temps are low 80 highest while 3dmark.

yo guys i dont know why but my 880m memory is just epic...i can overclock it stable to +1000 lol...

gives me about 9500 score in 3d mark 11 without touching GPU clock... 993/3500

this is 3dmark 11 and 3dmark score

Temps are low 80 highest while 3dmark.

Well, actually +500Mhz actually if you want to talk about the ACTUAL Mhz increase, from 1250Mhz to 1750Mhz, that's still a 40% overclock on the memory though! Your problem you talked about with your core overclock seems to be your imaginings then judging by your 3DMark results, looks like it came down to your previous problems being just due to your overclock being unstable then.

Well, actually +500Mhz actually if you want to talk about the ACTUAL Mhz increase, from 1250Mhz to 1750Mhz, that's still a 40% overclock on the memory though! Your problem you talked about with your core overclock seems to be your imaginings then judging by your 3DMark results, looks like it came down to your previous problems being just due to your overclock being unstable then.

no its + 900MHZ on inspector... its 2x 1750 u need to count 1250 + 1250 = 2500 1750 + 1750 = 3500 -/+ 1000Mhz u forgot its a 8GB not a 4GB ;)

I am able to get +1000 memory stable but once i touch the core over +25mv its done.... well i get 10k score on 3D Mark 11 with a single card thats good

without overclocking gpu core that much.

no its + 900MHZ on inspector... its 2x 1750 u need to count 1250 + 1250 = 2500 1750 + 1750 = 3500 -/+ 1000Mhz u forgot its a 8GB not a 4GB ;)

I am able to get +1000 memory stable but once i touch the core over +25mv its done.... well i get 10k score on 3D Mark 11 with a single card thats good

without overclocking gpu core that much.

What are you talking about, memory clock on 880M is 1250Mhz at stock, 3DMark reports your memory clock at 1750 (and so would GPUz too), which is +500Mhz. I'm well aware that there are different ways of reporting the memory clock, some programs multiply the ACTUAL frequency that the memory chips run at by a factor of 2, other's by a factor of 4 - it's due to the Quad-pumped nature of GDDR5. But, nevertheless, the actual frequency it runs at is what is reported in GPUz. You've gone from 1250Mhz to 1750Mhz (+500Mhz ACTUAL frequency increase) - simple as - nothing to do with whether you have 8GB or 4GB.

Yes, you were a little unlucky with the core overclock, it's not stable for you at higher overclocks, but your memory overclock is good.

I am using his modded vBIOS as well. Silicon lottery screwed me on these... -_-

29ve8w6.png

I did manage the 450MHz memory overclock though, nice boost.

Hi--New to this forum I have an new AW 18 -4940mx Dual 880m's 32 gb ram win 8.1 pro--How did you get your current clock rate do drop down to 135mhz?

No matter what I try my current clock always stays at 993mhz--will not drop down with absolutely nothing but NV Inspector running..

Even tried what was mentioned earlier about turning off Nvidia Experience running in the background which had prevented his cards from reducing the clocks at idle..

My temps at idle with the stock BIOS & no overclocking are 57c

Thanks

Jack

i have a AW M17xR4 with a 240W psu.

tried both +25 and 37mv, still the exact same behaviour as described above. throttle + driver-crash as soon as i try to cancel it or the next test is beeing loaded.

edit: also tried to run furmark today. results are: core-clock won´t go higher than 614mhz and still throttles between this and 234mhz.

quoting myself here for reference.

as a last resort i tried to install the 337.50 beta video-driver (the one before the 337.88).

so far it looks good. stable clocks (993mhz) and 84°C max. temp at watchdogs / firestrike.

lets hope it really has been a driver glitch and future version wont have this problem, whatever it was.

What are you talking about, memory clock on 880M is 1250Mhz at stock, 3DMark reports your memory clock at 1750 (and so would GPUz too), which is +500Mhz. I'm well aware that there are different ways of reporting the memory clock, some programs multiply the ACTUAL frequency that the memory chips run at by a factor of 2, other's by a factor of 4 - it's due to the Quad-pumped nature of GDDR5. But, nevertheless, the actual frequency it runs at is what is reported in GPUz. You've gone from 1250Mhz to 1750Mhz (+500Mhz ACTUAL frequency increase) - simple as - nothing to do with whether you have 8GB or 4GB.

Yes, you were a little unlucky with the core overclock, it's not stable for you at higher overclocks, but your memory overclock is good.

yo, once more i dont have +500mhz with 500 my score is like 400 points less.. ....i understand what u say its quadD but those scores are not able with only +500... this is +900/1000 memory which unigine heaven shows as 3500 in benchmark. i dont know why 3D mark doesnt but i am able to overclock the memory to +1000 stable.

All i am telling you is that i just overclocked the memory on inspector to +900 / 1000 and its stable.

this score is with +900Mhz around i overclocked on inspector memory +/- 900/1000

above 1000 is not stable.

my 780M gtx could go max to like 550 because of the 4GB... i expected the 880M with 8GB better memory to 1000 so yea...its giving a boost of 700 points on 3d mark and in games around 7 FPS more.

Funny is that the card is not running hotter... i believe its because i am not able to stress the full 8GB ...

Please everyone with a 880M GTX do not up ur core clock that much it makes the card trottle even more... try to up the memory its overclocking like crazy and games gain more performance

post-20147-1449499776929_thumb.jpg

yo, once more i dont have +500mhz with 500 my score is like 400 points less.. ....i understand what u say its quadD but those scores are not able with only +500... this is +900/1000 memory which unigine heaven shows as 3500 in benchmark. i dont know why 3D mark doesnt but i am able to overclock the memory to +1000 stable.

All i am telling you is that i just overclocked the memory on inspector to +900 / 1000 and its stable.

this score is with +900Mhz around i overclocked on inspector memory +/- 900/1000

my 780M gtx could go max to like 550 because of the 4GB... i expected the 880M with 8GB better memory to 1000 so yea...its giving a boost of 700 points on 3d mark and in games around 7 FPS more.

Funny is that the card is not running hotter... i believe its because i am not able to stress the full 8GB ...

Please everyone with a 880M GTX do not up ur core clock that much it makes the card trottle even more... try to up the memory its overclocking like crazy and games gain more performance

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11812[/ATTACH]

Good Lord! +1000 on the memory. I can only get to +500. At +510 my card crashes in 3DMark 11.

From my testing I would say you are correct on the GPU. I can't get much out of it without throttling due to heat. I will have to look into some cooling mods for that.

Nvidia has quite a mess with the more recent drivers. The newest one is certainly not recommendable imo. The suggested driver above is one that works pretty well, but of course it lacks support for the most recent games, so you might just want to try different drivers and find one that fits your needs best.

Drivers. That would be my first guess. Try an older one, e.g. 327.23 if you want to bench.

svl7--Why do you not recommend the latest driver 337.88-Are there any glaring issues with it?

Thanks

Jack

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11812[/ATTACH]

You seem very confused on the memory reporting front, so not much point discussing that anymore, I've already told you that you're running +500Mhz ACTUAL increase in memory frequency, which is reported by GPUz as +500Mhz above your stock value, NVidia Inspector reports it as +1000Mhz, and some other programs might describe that as +2000Mhz - but it's ACTUALLY REALLY only +500Mhz in reality. I'll just leave it there.

You seem very confused on the memory reporting front, so not much point discussing that anymore, I've already told you that you're running +500Mhz ACTUAL increase in memory frequency, which is reported by GPUz as +500Mhz above your stock value, NVidia Inspector reports it as +1000Mhz, and some other programs might describe that as +2000Mhz - but it's ACTUALLY REALLY only +500Mhz in reality. I'll just leave it there.

i am not confused i told you +1000 is my memory overclock and you see the picture thats it. QDR is what u are talking about and i know that if i overclock 100MHZ on inspector it shows 50mhz on GpuZ. What i said was that i overclocked the memory to +1000 on inspector. My friend who has the same card is not able to go above +540 on inspector so thats what i am saying maybe i got different memory chips? asked 2-3 people with the same 880m on clevo and they cant go that high. My friend with the same cpu and gpu get around 400 point less on 3dmark with + 540 Memory while i got +1000 i cant explain that.

You're both wrong, 8GB has nothing to do with it. GDDR5, +1000MHz = 7000MHz, +500MHz = 6000MHz.

yep so the overclock is +1000 as the pictures shows 6998 MHZ memory

whatever do u know if its normal that it can clock that high? it doesnt work on my friends clevo gives crash and one guy on forum said that aswell

You're both wrong...8GB has nothing to do with it. GDDR5, +1000MHz = 7000MHz, +500MHz = 6000MHz.

I'm not wrong because I agree with your post.

I'm simply saying GDDR5 can be reported as (using stock 880M as an example):

1250Mhz on GPUz => this is the ACTUAL frequency that the chips run at

2500Mhz in NVidia Inspector

5000Mhz in some other programs (Guru3D review site often quote this figure)

The above goes along with what you said in your post.

- - - Updated - - -

i am not confused i told you +1000 is my memory overclock and you see the picture thats it. QDR is what u are talking about and i know that if i overclock 100MHZ on inspector it shows 50mhz on GpuZ. What i said was that i overclocked the memory to +1000 on inspector. My friend who has the same card is not able to go above +540 on inspector so thats what i am saying maybe i got different memory chips? asked 2-3 people with the same 880m on clevo and they cant go that high. My friend with the same cpu and gpu get around 400 point less on 3dmark with + 540 Memory while i got +1000 i cant explain that.

(Don't know why you're bringing in other points to the discussion about your friend, nothing to do with our little discussion on memory reporting - you're kind of all over the place.)

I'm not wrong because I agree with your post.

I'm simply saying GDDR5 can be reported as (using stock 880M as an example):

1250Mhz on GPUz => this is the ACTUAL frequency that the chips run at

2500Mhz in NVidia Inspector

5000Mhz in some other programs (Guru3D review site often quote this figure)

The above goes along with what you said in your post.

- - - Updated - - -

(Don't know why you're bringing in other points to the discussion about your friend, nothing to do with our little discussion on memory reporting - you're kind of all over the place.)

I dont want to flame here but what u said makes no sense cause its not my question why am i able to get +1000Mhz on this 880m while others crash at 500+. Both overclocked with inspector.

Do u even own a 880M to test before u talk?

Good Lord! +1000 on the memory. I can only get to +500. At +510 my card crashes in 3DMark 11.

From my testing I would say you are correct on the GPU. I can't get much out of it without throttling due to heat. I will have to look into some cooling mods for that.

thats what i want to know. Since we both use inspector for overclocking right? we should see the same results on gpu can u check your memory chips names?

ill do it aswell. You got clevo 880M im sure its 8GB aswell.

post-20147-1449499777006_thumb.jpg

Hi--New to this forum I have an new AW 18 -4940mx Dual 880m's 32 gb ram win 8.1 pro--How did you get your current clock rate do drop down to 135mhz?

No matter what I try my current clock always stays at 993mhz--will not drop down with absolutely nothing but NV Inspector running..

Even tried what was mentioned earlier about turning off Nvidia Experience running in the background which had prevented his cards from reducing the clocks at idle..

My temps at idle with the stock BIOS & no overclocking are 57c

Thanks

Jack

Hey, Well for me I had to remove it from startup along with shutting it down when used in order to down clock. I would just remove everything you can from startup besides security and what not and open inspector. As soon as its running now and I close it my cards drop, but not before I removed it from startup as well as taskbar.

Question : If I have both a 780m , and a 880m to use in my m18x-r2 (Not SLI, single card in the 18'' laptop..) Should I use the 880m ? or is the 780m's still performing better at stock ?

Is anyone having any issues running stock clocks for the 880m gtx ON AN M18X-R2 ? With or Without mod vbios.

I am using the 780 now, and its great. I could be using a 680m SLI but, with my CPU OC'd I get better performance with a single card at stock and cpu at 4.5Ghz

I do not mind if I have to use a different vbios, I tried one for the 780, worked great for awhile. Burnt one card, still have a spare (which I'm using). I just want to know if it will work 100%..... and if at stock its better performing then 780m stock.. or does the 880m's throttle all the time on an m18x-r2 ?

Hey, Well for me I had to remove it from startup along with shutting it down when used in order to down clock. I would just remove everything you can from startup besides security and what not and open inspector. As soon as its running now and I close it my cards drop, but not before I removed it from startup as well as taskbar.

can you please clarify when you say Nvidea Experience you mean Geoforce Experience or something else

thanks

jack

• Brian featured this topic