NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Flashed it, fired up Crysis 3, its running great, just like previous vBios, but I still see some blue squares on walls, floors and doors. I fired up Skyrim, starting menu is great, no errors, I press new game and then I see blue squares, but wait, this time it actually started the game. I would get crash on loading screen. Now I see a couple of yellow and a lot of small blue squares. Gameplay is smooth thought. Then I press alt tab to check temps and vddc in GPU-Z When alt tabbing back, there are blue spots on the horse and clothes, few of them and those small blue and yellow squares turned into invisible, but you can still see them if you focus on them. Im running 332.21 drivers. GPU-Z reports the same info just like previous 1.5GB vBios. Temp in Skyrim was 70 C.

• Bios Modder
Flashed it, fired up Crysis 3, its running great, just like previous vBios, but I still see some blue squares on walls, floors and doors. I fired up Skyrim, starting menu is great, no errors, I press new game and then I see blue squares, but wait, this time it actually started the game. I would get crash on loading screen. Now I see a couple of yellow and a lot of small blue squares. Gameplay is smooth thought. Then I press alt tab to check temps and vddc in GPU-Z When alt tabbing back, there are blue spots on the horse and clothes, few of them and those small blue and yellow squares turned into invisible, but you can still see them if you focus on them. Im running 332.21 drivers. GPU-Z reports the same info just like previous 1.5GB vBios. Temp in Skyrim was 70 C.

Put here screenshot of GPU-Z.

Hardware issue? Maybe the RAM is on the way out, or the GPU core? Just some random ideas.

The thing is that I actually got it working perfectly and the voltage was 800mV. Installed driver 327.29 I believe, don't hold me on this one and everything was smooth and no errors at all. Updated drivers and issues appeared. Reverted drivers back and issues were still there. GPU is fine. It came 100% working from AW system. Im gonna upload GPU-Z screenshot in next 30 minutes.

EDIT: Here is the GPU-Z screenshot for GTX 670M. post-22472-14494997016775_thumb.jpg

Started Crysis 3 mission and I immediately got CryEngine error, game crashed.

Is there any way someone edits my vBios? I would like to try different voltages.

Does sound like the hardware though, if you've tried with no success after uninstalling all NVidia drivers, running a driver cleaning program, then reinstalling the NVidia drivers. If you think it's your VBIOS getting corrupted or something (don't know if that's even possible), then why don't you find someone with the same card & system & flash their VBIOS - why do you need some kind of custom VBIOS from here?

If you need to modify your voltages to keep your card stable at stock clocks then you have a problem with the hardware & you can send it back for a warranty refund. Be careful with increasing the voltage on Fermi, lots of dead 580M & 675M cards around due to people upping the voltages, and also due to one particular NVidia driver that raised the voltage to I believe 0.9 or 0.925V (something like that), and a lot of people thought this was their reason for their dead cards.

If you need to modify your voltages to keep your card stable at stock clocks then you have a problem with the hardware & you can send it back for a warranty refund. Be careful with increasing the voltage on Fermi, lots of dead 580M & 675M cards around due to people upping the voltages, and also due to one particular NVidia driver that raised the voltage to I believe 0.9 or 0.925V (something like that), and a lot of people thought this was their reason for their dead cards.

I don't have warranty on this card. What programs can I use to check vRam? Also, if one of them is bad, can I buy replacement chips?

Ah I see. I think sometimes people solder replacement chips on their boards, but I've got no idea if that's possible with the memory. Google might help of course. You might need to buy a replacement card if increasing the voltage doesn't help. Increasing the voltage is only increasing the voltage for the GPU core, and does not affect the voltage that is supplied to the memory chips. So if it's the RAM, then increasing the voltage is not going to help. Well, good luck, I can't think of what else to suggest. Try the driver cleaning & installation of drivers to rule out software, and maybe try a VBIOS with increased voltage.

EDIT: As an alternative to raising the voltage, you could instead just underclock the card a little to see if that helps. Keep taking 20Mhz chunks off the core clocks to see if that helps eventually. If that doesn't help after taking 100 - 200 Mhz off the clock, then try the same thing, but with the memory VRAM clock. Actually, this is a lot quicker way to test that this is the problem, rather than flashing countless new VBIOS files with increased voltages. (Also you won't be damaging the card any further, because you're not increasing the voltage). Your description of your artifacts you've seen reminds me of artifacts when overclocking too far when I had a Fermi card, and when I had my 8600M GT, so this could indeed be your problem. You might just need to game at slightly lower than stock clocks.

EDIT 2: I see you've been using Furmark to test your card. I wouldn't do that, there's no value to it, and it can damage your card. NVidia throttle their cards in Furmark anyway since Fermi, so your card will be running at reduced clocks to protect itself when running Furmark, so that's probably why it's stable during Furmark - because it's running at lower clocks. That further supports my idea that you can solve this by underclocking your card, either the core or memory depending on which component is causing you all these visual artifacts.

Try this version.

What's the difference with all the VBIOS files you're providing him Klem? Are you increasing the voltage to see if he can get his card stable? Wouldn't it make more sense for him to try underclocking his card first to work out quickly whether this is the problem, and so he can determine whether it is the core or VRAM causing the issue? Perhaps then it would make sense to flash a modded VBIOS to it that overvolts the core, but only if it proves from the underclocking that it is his core that is unstable at stock voltage.

Hoping that someone is able to help me out with providing me the following, as it seems I don't have permission/privileges to download them from the first page, appreciate anyone's help :)

• Bios Modder
What's the difference with all the VBIOS files you're providing him Klem? Are you increasing the voltage to see if he can get his card stable? Wouldn't it make more sense for him to try underclocking his card first to work out quickly whether this is the problem, and so he can determine whether it is the core or VRAM causing the issue? Perhaps then it would make sense to flash a modded VBIOS to it that overvolts the core, but only if it proves from the underclocking that it is his core that is unstable at stock voltage.

No, he bought a video card on ebay, and it is not clear who the manufacturer. Clevo? MSI? DELL? Nvidia reference? Him laptop is MSI and he tries to flash it compatible BIOS. And in general it is not clear what his graphics card, with 1.5GB or 3GB.

6 memory chip on one side of board and 6 memory chip on the back side, that must be 3GB.

• Bios Modder
The card is from AW m15x system. It has 1.5GB vRam. I'll try to flash this vBios that you provided Klem. As for the voltages, I would like to try different voltages. Also, if you guys know any software to test vRam, that would be great.

I can set for you any different voltage in your vbios, but i am know your problem is not voltage, you problem is incompatibility vendors this video card and your laptop.

• Bios Modder
The card is from AW m15x system. It has 1.5GB vRam. I'll try to flash this vBios that you provided Klem. As for the voltages, I would like to try different voltages. Also, if you guys know any software to test vRam, that would be great.

This vbios with 0,92V.

MSI GTX 670M 1536 MB BIOS.zip

@djdblaster and @Klem: OK, cool, good luck guys, hope one of those VBIOS files works. I'm surprised you've ruled out the possibility of the card either just needing more voltage or running at slightly reduced clocks at stock voltage (either the memory or the core). Hope something works, whether the VBIOS files you're trying or my suggestions earlier.

Ah I see. I think sometimes people solder replacement chips on their boards, but I've got no idea if that's possible with the memory. Google might help of course. You might need to buy a replacement card if increasing the voltage doesn't help. Increasing the voltage is only increasing the voltage for the GPU core, and does not affect the voltage that is supplied to the memory chips. So if it's the RAM, then increasing the voltage is not going to help. Well, good luck, I can't think of what else to suggest. Try the driver cleaning & installation of drivers to rule out software, and maybe try a VBIOS with increased voltage.

EDIT: As an alternative to raising the voltage, you could instead just underclock the card a little to see if that helps. Keep taking 20Mhz chunks off the core clocks to see if that helps eventually. If that doesn't help after taking 100 - 200 Mhz off the clock, then try the same thing, but with the memory VRAM clock. Actually, this is a lot quicker way to test that this is the problem, rather than flashing countless new VBIOS files with increased voltages. (Also you won't be damaging the card any further, because you're not increasing the voltage). Your description of your artifacts you've seen reminds me of artifacts when overclocking too far when I had a Fermi card, and when I had my 8600M GT, so this could indeed be your problem. You might just need to game at slightly lower than stock clocks.

EDIT 2: I see you've been using Furmark to test your card. I wouldn't do that, there's no value to it, and it can damage your card. NVidia throttle their cards in Furmark anyway since Fermi, so your card will be running at reduced clocks to protect itself when running Furmark, so that's probably why it's stable during Furmark - because it's running at lower clocks. That further supports my idea that you can solve this by underclocking your card, either the core or memory depending on which component is causing you all these visual artifacts.

I just saw these 2 edits so I'll check that out later tonight. Hope something works! Thanks for advice!

• Brian featured this topic