NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

i have the same laptop :) i use svl7 vbios! ;)

was this for me? hehe sorry havent eaten yet today so im slowthinking and secondguessing myself atm,

(eating now, will be back in 10min with all my braincells working hahahahaha)

only thing im doing different is using boot-cd instead of a USB-drive since i dont have one.

i figured id make two cd.s one with stock rom and one with unlocked rom. and write down how to flash it without seeeing, should i screwup

so i can do a blind stock rom flash should things go sideways.

hans i saw you 3dmark score. are those scores/clocks with the origional coolingsystem?

if so what temps are you running at?

cheers / tobbe aka the crazy swede rofl

Good result @godfafa! What was your core clock and core voltage on that 780M?

Thanks, Robbo.

It was +270/+270 added to the vbios base clock by means of NVIDA inspector with 140% power target and +100.0mv voltage offset.

My CPU was set to 4.2 * 4 clock, too.

yes these was the stock cooling system :) and my temps are never raise the 85 celcius !

And yes it was for you @ XqctaX

PS: for control the fans in the GT70 take install the attached program and download this Fan Control Tools by Pherein v1.0.4 ;)

greeze

Why do you need fan control? Do your fans not spin up to their maximum RPM without it? I know I have a different laptop than you, but I get max fan RPM automatically at 65 degC as part of the normal laptop fan control.

Why do you need fan control? Do your fans not spin up to their maximum RPM without it? I know I have a different laptop than you, but I get max fan RPM automatically at 65 degC as part of the normal laptop fan control.

my fan isnt controllable via for example MSI AB so i cant set my own ratio for Celcious/rpm the boost mode is 120% and is way to high, the systems internal control dont seem to kick in and acually raise the fan Rpm untill its around 80'c

would love to be able to set it at diff speeds for diff temp or just set my prefered rpm manually.

so the tip for me is very well needed and approciated :D

i post the programs you need :D and i can send you a tutorial this evening if you want to know how to use :)

thanks! i grabbed them and saved them together with some other programs im going to use (like XTU, gpu-z,cpu-z, msi AB)

im going to install and see if i can figure it out myself since i find it the best way for me to learn and have the knowledge stick hahaha :)

but first its time to flash my vbios, (been doing some benchmarks with everything standard for later comparison)

a bit nervous lol, really hope i dont brick my gpu, first time doing a flash like this and using a CD instead of USB (lacking usb-stick but got plenty CD-R's lying around lol )

got my stock rom saved on the CD (using GPU-z) together with the modded bios and im going to write down all the commands and such so i hopefully can do a blind flash if something goes wrong.

will be back within an hour to say "Weeiii" "happyface" if everything goes well, wish me luck hehe :D

EDIT: WEEEIIII , HAPPYFACE!!! lol. after some noob misstakes, like forgetting legacy mode in bios, i did the flash as per the guide using an USB-stick i borrowed from the neighbour. CD didnt work :P

the flash went perfectly, and im now going to start tweaking my clock speeds and such and do benchmarks, ill post my results in 1-2 days (working tomorrow)

very happy atm. also svl7, id like to donate since im running your modded bios, pls pm me with what you think is a normal amount since im afraid of accedentially being a cheap basterd otherwise lol

@svl7

I searched this thread for any y580 vbios mods but couldn't find any solutions. I know this has been requested quite a bit sooo... Could you mod the y580 BIOS so that its voltage can be changed via nvidia inspector/evga precision/msi afterburner/etc etc? Right now I'm using ErYani's overvolted BIOS (to 1.175V), which is based on your 2.07 unlocked BIOS, aka GHz edition.

GPU-Z ss:

5xa.png

may i ask what your setting were during that benchmark. specifically im wondering what vore voltage you were running with.

im asking since im currently doing 1140core mhz, 1.0870v memory 1000mhz. and im curious to your settings. since my just started freeezing when trying 1150mhz core clock

also im wondering how high i can set voltage without damaging the card if anyone knows. (msi gtx 770m)

i used to run my card at 1.1120v playing metro last light at 993mhz core and memory at 1500mhz for hours. so i assume thats okay since the card didnt break.. lol

and which card do you run at 1.112V.??? would be interesting to know! :)

the msi gtx 770m card thats in my GT70 2oc, i ran metro last light with 1.112v, core clock 993, and memoryclock at 1500mhz, but i never tested if it was stable in other programs or games.

my clocks have been a bit unstable over 1100 tho, the gpu throttles down to almost 800 and drivers says perfcap power, when at 1,1v

decreasing volt has reduced the throttle issue. im now running at 1.0620v @ 1100mhz gpu core, and memory @ 1325mhz, if i lower the volt the Gpu-driver or benchmark program will crash and if i raise the volt the GPU

throttles down and GPU-Z reports "perfcap" "pwr" with core clock going down to 800-1010mhz depending on how high i set the volt.

so for some reason it seems the more power i give to the card, the lower core clock it can maintain stable, witch puzzels me, becouse i thought that higher volt equals higher core clock freqency.

post-21469-14494996937072_thumb.gif these settings ran stable without throttling in 3DMARK's Ice storm, Cloud gate and fire strike <--- see link here

ill see how it does in 3dmark 11 and will be back to post some results here later :D

post-21469-14494996936848_thumb.gif

What VBIOS are you using? svl7 hasn't done a voltage adjustable 675MX VBIOS. As far as I know it's his latest voltage adjustable VBIOS's that don't have the 25mv voltage drop. If you're using someone else's VBIOS & posting in this thread, then what's the point of that, this thread is for his VBIOS's, not for any other random VBIOS found elsewhere - it's counter-productive to have postings related to other peoples VBIOS in this thread. That's just my opinion though, I'm not a moderator.

man you angry .. happens wirh every ROM .. even with your praised one here .. geeesh ... his ROM is dropping from 1.037 to 1.012 and the sudden P5 lock occours with every ROM i had .. Now back to Windows 8 (!) because 8.1 is broken, really ...

may i ask what your setting were during that benchmark. specifically im wondering what vore voltage you were running with.

im asking since im currently doing 1140core mhz, 1.0870v memory 1000mhz. and im curious to your settings. since my just started freeezing when trying 1150mhz core clock

also im wondering how high i can set voltage without damaging the card if anyone knows. (msi gtx 770m)

i used to run my card at 1.1120v playing metro last light at 993mhz core and memory at 1500mhz for hours. so i assume thats okay since the card didnt break.. lol

One of two things can happen if you put too much voltage through your card:

1) It frys instantly, I guess if you go really nuts with the voltage

or

2) Over time the silicon degrades gradually due to electron tunnelling (think that's the term). This can result in your overclocks becoming gradually more unstable, and may cause your card to cease running stably at all.

1.112V seems like a lot of voltage to me for a fairly big chip like the 770M. The 750M's run at even higher voltage than that (smaller chips), so maybe you'll be ok with that, difficult to say. But definitely use the lowest amount of voltage you can for any overclock you choose. Also, you want low temperatures as this helps protect the card from the electron tunnelling effect I talked about. I don't really know what the critical temperatures are, but some desktop 680 series cards were designed to lower their voltage (down from their 1.175V max) & clocks above 70 degC. So, maybe 70 degC should be your guideline for not using any crazy voltages above. It's a real grey area I think.

- - - Updated - - -

i run the gtx 770m on 1.15V. today :) and 1190mhz core and it is stable in battlefield 4 and 3 too!! :D and i got 6514 score in 3dmark11

I can tell you're getting a little GPU throttling (probaly due to power limitations) with that 3DMark score and your core clock you've set. Should be over 6700 GPU score with 1190Mhz. You might want to find the sweet spot of voltage & clock that results in zero throttling & max performance.

- - - Updated - - -

my clocks have been a bit unstable over 1100 tho, the gpu throttles down to almost 800 and drivers says perfcap power, when at 1,1v

decreasing volt has reduced the throttle issue. im now running at 1.0620v @ 1100mhz gpu core, and memory @ 1325mhz, if i lower the volt the Gpu-driver or benchmark program will crash and if i raise the volt the GPU

throttles down and GPU-Z reports "perfcap" "pwr" with core clock going down to 800-1010mhz depending on how high i set the volt.

so for some reason it seems the more power i give to the card, the lower core clock it can maintain stable, witch puzzels me, becouse i thought that higher volt equals higher core clock freqency.

You're just running into the power limitations when you raise the voltage too far, and you're getting instability when you lower the voltage too far for any given clocks that you're testing. There's a sweet spot to be had somewhere in there, which you can determine through trying different settings & monitoring your GPU's behaviour.

between 70-75 never higher!

I think you'll be able to get away with 1.1V, but like I said I don't know if there are any hard & fast rules to this, there's a lot of grey area! I think whatever voltage you choose (& corresponding overclock), you should choose one where you get zero power throttling, that way you're putting less stress on the other MXM board components. Voltage makes so much of a difference to power consumption. If I run my card at 0.975V and 1006Mhz I get about 130W gaming system total load (not just GPU, but whole system), and if I up the voltage to 1.05V and 1124Mhz then I get nearly 160W gaming system total load. Always best to keep voltage as low as possible, the more you increase it, then the lower the efficiency in all respects.

so flashed my 675mx back to the rom from here, everythings fine and runs smoothly but after a while it gets stuck in P5 state .. that is soo weird. I have a MSI GT60 with a modified EC so that the CPU doesn't throttle. I dont think that this is the culprit .. everything is controlled via vBios, am i right ? So my clocks are 1066 on the Core and 2300-2500 on the Memory. No artifacts nothing, even after ours it is rock solid. Then sometimes, P5 324core and 800mem, its stuck cant get it out ... could it have something to do with my OC or is it because the Rom is heavily modified ... thanks in advance :D

so switching active status in hardware manager restores it ...

• Brian featured this topic