NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Asus G55VW BIOS with unlocked software OC limits added to second post. Flash with the tools provided by Asus or your favorite BIOS flashing tools.
@svl7 hi,

I checked the 2nd post in this thread - but can't find the Asus G55VW hacked bios.

Can you please try to reHACK the latest version of that bios ( for the g55vw of course ) ?

Here is the direct link for the official latest bios version 217.

Thanks a lot ! :single_eye:

P.S - I know how to proper flash the bios using AFUDOS @dos mode. :-)

Hello,

Need some info if someone can help,

Just upgraded my R2 Dual AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5870 to one lovely GTX 680M card.

Its running SMOOT and a real "plug in heater" 89c after 8hours of gaming, no artifacts or slowdowns. Its really stable...

I think is a bit hot compared to the Radeon cards they not usually went over 65/70c, Just in case i ordered a left side M18X GPU heatsink and try to modify it to fit the R2 chassis. I will take pictures when is arrive. The interesting part is that i dont have to use hwinfo to control the fan is seems working. it looks hwinfo causing more problem and heat than without it.

The card is a DELL Card (020HTK) with vbios 80.04.5B.00.02. I used someone else inf file and is recon is a MX card but actually is not.

Anyone have experience with this?

post-357-14494997777045_thumb.jpg

DELL_020HTK_GTX680M_80.04.5B00.02.zip

I reverted back to the stock VBIOS for now for 3 reasons:

1. To play it safe, I don't want my GPU to crash and be stuck in NVIDIA's new cripple mode again.

2. The GPUs just get too hot, up to 85°C each on FireMark 1.1, looks like I need to repaste if I want to enjoy the GPUs always running at 993Mhz (since the laptop is brand new, I'd say DELL's paste is below average).

3. While this looks neat in benchmarks, the ingame performance gains do not seem to be worth the trouble of experiencing unexpected issues, games just don't perform that much better on the modded VBIOS than they do on the stock one (you'd gain 3-6fps on average I'd say and the SLI setup can just run pretty much anything out of the box anyway).

The modded VBIOS seems a great way to increase the laptop's lifespan however, as in repaste with liquid ultra, flash the modded VBIOS and OC once your setup can't run all games at ultra anymore (if you don't want to invest in a new laptop too soon) so I guess I'll wait for a while before I reflash it (or a newer version) again.

Yeah I will probably be following the same course once I dig through my email and find the stick vbios. I am not as concerned about temperatures as I am about concern over the card itself. These cards are pushed to their limits and they are buggy out of the box. I'd hate to have one fail and not be able to get it replaced under warranty. I just don't have confidence that these cards will last.

I wish that my machine came with 780s... :\

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Well, they certainly are not working well and I doubt anyone would disagree with your comments about them being buggy, but they are nowhere even remotely close to being pushed to their limits. Not sure what makes them behave so poorly compared to 780M, There's definitely a design defect of some sort, but clock speeds are not the issue. There are tons of examples of overclocked 680M and 780M benchmarks with clock speeds much, much higher than the 880M stock clock speed.

Well, they certainly are not working well and I doubt anyone would disagree with your comments about them being buggy, but they are nowhere even remotely close to being pushed to their limits. Not sure what makes them behave so poorly compared to 780M, There's definitely a design defect of some sort, but clock speeds are not the issue. There are tons of examples of overclocked 680M and 780M benchmarks with clock speeds much, much higher than the 880M stock clock speed.

Well the design of the card appears to be pushed to its limits though. Whatever they messed up on with these cards is crippling them big time. I'm starting to think they intentionally binned the 880m chips poorly so that they wouldn't hold a candle to Maxwell... Seriously not being able to get any core overclock on stock volts is something I have never seen before and the same goes with not being able to undervolt a card at all on stock clocks is new as well.

Either way, it's disappointing.

Absolutely. I'm extremely disappointed about it for everyone that has 880M and for myself since there is nothing left to upgrade to from 780M. It reminds me of how Alienware emasculated the new 18... it's unforgivable and NVIDIA needs to fix it.

If they had to intentionally cripple the 880M like this to make some extra wiggle room to prevent Maxwell from looking bad, that means everyone's disappointment is just barely getting started, LOL. Hopefully, that's not the case. A Maxwell flagship GPU that does not decisively outperform an unlocked GTX 780M (both stock and maxed out overclocked / overvolted) will turn out to be another piece of feces that isn't worth buying.

Oh, the joy of "efficient" low-power excrement. The people dreaming up this garbage are (a) extremely evil; or, (B) think their customers are extremely stupid. (Well, OK, option B does, in fact, apply to some of them.)

Well the design of the card appears to be pushed to its limits though. Whatever they messed up on with these cards is crippling them big time. I'm starting to think they intentionally binned the 880m chips poorly so that they wouldn't hold a candle to Maxwell... Seriously not being able to get any core overclock on stock volts is something I have never seen before and the same goes with not being able to undervolt a card at all on stock clocks is new as well.

Either way, it's disappointing.

the cards are actually binned properly, better than the 780M, the problem is you can't overclock them properly because only a couple of GPU crashes are enough for the new drivers to start crippling them, that means you can't tweak them to figure out how high you can set them and still keep a stable overclock.

a workaround would be to do all your tests on the 327.23 but meh...

another issue is that, as far as the AW18 is concerned, you hit the 330W limitation pretty fast when you OC these cards and there is currently no way around it.

Another issue is they get too hot unless you start repasting the gpus with something like liquid ultra.

You have to understand that these cards are mostly overclocked 780Ms (highly overclocked all things considered) with twice the VRAM (the GDDR5 chips are actually binned a lot better on the 880M cards and can go a lot higher in frequency) the thing is, a 780M gpu core going at 953-993Mhz is not only going to draw more power, it's going to run at much higher temperatures, I do not believe the AW18 cooling/pasting was meant to handle GPUs running at these temperatures (namely 10-15°C higher than on stock 780M)

This means potential throttling and overheating, that said, as far as gaming is concerned, these cards are fine, but so were the 780M.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

880M SLI should be able to do better than this...

Unfortunately there is a bug with the 880M right now that causes a black screen when the benchmark is run so I have to wait for new drivers before I can run it.

I can tell you though that I've never come close to your 780M benchmarks, even with the modded vbios and +450 on the memory.

Unfortunately there is a bug with the 880M right now that causes a black screen when the benchmark is run so I have to wait for new drivers before I can run it.

I can tell you though that I've never come close to your 780M benchmarks, even with the modded vbios and +450 on the memory.

Just power through that screen for now. Its still actually running and you'll get your picture back on the following tests.

• Thumbs Up 1

NOT impressed....

29bn12f.png

I think your graphics score is good at 42203, I only get 15658, which is well less than half your score, and considering any losses in sli efficiency it's still a good score I think. Your combined test seems low with 18131, I get 14615 on that one, so it seems that something might be throttling there, maybe your GPU's, is your power brick up to the task because that's a combined CPU/GPU test? (Or it could be that the Combined Test is more CPU limited, so that could make sense).

I think your graphics score is good at 42203, I only get 15658, which is well less than half your score, and considering any losses in sli efficiency it's still a good score I think. Your combined test seems low with 18131, I get 14615 on that one, so it seems that something might be throttling there, maybe your GPU's, is your power brick up to the task because that's a combined CPU/GPU test? (Or it could be that the Combined Test is more CPU limited, so that could make sense).

Well I have a 330W adapter and my 4940MX is undervolted by 80mv so I would think I have enough power? Chip was clocked to 4GHz max (its the highest overclock I can get on all 4 cores because of the temps, it throttles) and was probably running 3.79 or 3.89. I wish I could measure power draw. I have a second power supply but don't have the adapter and was assured it's not needed.

But it's still a lot less than what Mr. Fox said that an 880M SLI configuration should get, like 8k less graphic score than his marginally overclocked 780Ms

Well I have a 330W adapter and my 4940MX is undervolted by 80mv so I would think I have enough power? Chip was clocked to 4GHz max (its the highest overclock I can get on all 4 cores because of the temps, it throttles) and was probably running 3.79 or 3.89. I wish I could measure power draw. I have a second power supply but don't have the adapter and was assured it's not needed.

But it's still a lot less than what Mr. Fox said that an 880M SLI configuration should get, like 8k less graphic score than his marginally overclocked 780Ms

I did some more testing with that Skydiver benchmark, and it doesn't respond that well to core clock increases in some parts: same fps regardless of whether I was at 1006Mhz or 1124Mhz (still 20 fps when she's unzipping her wings), and power draw (global wattage) was low too at the same time at this point. (A 12% greater core clock only yielded an 8% increase in GPU score, think there's some memory bandwidth limitations). I believe that there are parts of the benchmark that are memory bandwidth limited (VRAM), for me anyway. Are you running a low memory clock in comparison to Mr Fox? (His overclocked CPU might be boosting the GPU score in some places where fps is very high too).

I did some more testing with that Skydiver benchmark, and it doesn't respond that well to core clock increases in some parts: same fps regardless of whether I was at 1006Mhz or 1124Mhz (still 20 fps when she's unzipping her wings), and power draw (global wattage) was low too at the same time at this point. (A 12% greater core clock only yielded an 8% increase in GPU score, think there's some memory bandwidth limitations). I believe that there are parts of the benchmark that are memory bandwidth limited (VRAM), for me anyway. Are you running a low memory clock in comparison to Mr Fox? (His overclocked CPU might be boosting the GPU score in some places where fps is very high too).

Well if it doesn't respond to core increases, I'm performing even worse because that is stock core (my cards won't overclock on stock volts at all)

Memory could be an issue though. I'm running 32GB @ 1600, CAS 11.

I bumped my memory clock on the 880s up to 450 for that test. It's what I actually usually run them at when I remember to set them.

Well if it doesn't respond to core increases, I'm performing even worse because that is stock core (my cards won't overclock on stock volts at all)

Memory could be an issue though. I'm running 32GB @ 1600, CAS 11.

I bumped my memory clock on the 880s up to 450 for that test. It's what I actually usually run them at when I remember to set them.

I hadn't bothered looking in detail at Mr Fox's 780M overclock he used, but he ran that test at an 'unholy' 1125Mhz on the core!! If you were only at stock (993Mhz), then this is going to account for the biggest difference, and your GPU score was only 15% lower than Mr Fox's, but he was running his cores 13% faster. This is the difference, your score is fine given you're operating at stock clocks on the 880M's. (The other slight remaining discrepancy in performance difference could be due to his CPU overclock & possibly running faster system memory - but this is only a small discrepancy it seems).

Lol, from his post saying this is what an 880M should be able to achieve I figured he had a reasonable overclock heh. Yeah the Clevo cooling isn't adequate enough to push the voltage and see what these can do.

Plus I don't want to mess with anything with that looming nVidia super throttle issue when the driver crashes...

Lol, from his post saying this is what an 880M should be able to achieve I figured he had a reasonable overclock heh. Yeah the Clevo cooling isn't adequate enough to push the voltage and see what these can do.

Plus I don't want to mess with anything with that looming nVidia super throttle issue when the driver crashes...

Yeah, that's right, he just meant from a benching point of view using the unlocked vBIOS, as long as your cooling is good enough. It's a point of reference for other 880M owners. If they can hit the same 1125Mhz core then it should score the same as his result. Your score seems fine to me though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, that's right, he just meant from a benching point of view using the unlocked vBIOS, as long as your cooling is good enough. It's a point of reference for other 880M owners. If they can hit the same 1125Mhz core then it should score the same as his result. Your score seems fine to me though.

Okay well then I guess I'm fine with it. Sucks that I've got a processor that can't hit the clocks of the last two generations and a video card that puts out more heat stock than the last generation did when overclocked heh.

Although I'm one of the few that has 880Ms that are performing well at all right now so I'm not going to complain. Seems these have a lot of issues... I've seen dead cards, throttled cards, one guy had his go up in smoke... So I'll count my blessings.

I did raise the power target in Precision X to 160% for a test and I went to 25797

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M video card benchmark result - Intel® Core i7-4940MX CPU @ 3.10GHz,Notebook P377SM-A

Okay well then I guess I'm fine with it. Sucks that I've got a processor that can't hit the clocks of the last two generations and a video card that puts out more heat stock than the last generation did when overclocked heh.

Although I'm one of the few that has 880Ms that are performing well at all right now so I'm not going to complain. Seems these have a lot of issues... I've seen dead cards, throttled cards, one guy had his go up in smoke... So I'll count my blessings.

I did raise the power target in Precision X to 160% for a test and I went to 25797

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M video card benchmark result - Intel® Core i7-4940MX CPU @ 3.10GHz,Notebook P377SM-A

my score with 880M and 4910mq http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/3297069

my 880m also...able to hit +1000 overclock on memory its pretty crazy and i dont think its normal but the core cant even do +50 xD

• Brian featured this topic