NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Flashing an nVidia GTX 880m... is it ok to use the GTX 780m - 'OC edition' - rev02.zip in Post #2 ?

I've been reading these forums and some related articles with great interest, as I have just gotten a new rig with the new nVidia GTX 880m.

I must admit that I probably would have just gotten the 780m, with the lower memory, had I performed the correct searches earlier on.... but hell, the last time I was gaming, Battlefield 2 was the rage, and WoW was just becoming a mild social concern... and besides, I keep hearing the faint echo of "640K ought to be enough for anybody"... (anybody... anybody... anybody...) Plus, after suffering a concussion a few years ago, my own memory isn't the best sometimes... so now as it begins to fail me more, I'll take comfort that my graphics card has more than enough to spare for both of us.

So... back to my question... can I flash the 880m with the 780m vbios, or should I wait for an 880m-specific one?

After reading everything I can find, it seems like I should be able to use the GTX 780m vbios for my 880m, since they're essentially the same card... but I haven't read anything that explicitly states that. I'm uncertain whether the difference in the amount of memory would warrant changes to the vbios file, or if the same vbios file is all good, and the processor just uses whatever memory it has available. I even read an account of overclocking the 880m specifically, but there was no specific mention of what vbios was used.

Could someone clarify for me? I know I could just do a backup of the old vbios first, and restore it if something goes wrong, but obviously I'd rather avoid it if possible.

Thanks!

What software are you using to overclock the GPU?

I'm using the MSI Afterburner. But now that I am looking I might have missed something since NVIDIA Inspector still says that the Current Clock is 135MHz and the Memory is 405.

The GPU Clock is at 1000 MHz while memory says 2700. Help?

HELP .... AW 17 with 780m and 4700MQ and the vbios mod i get on 1050core but 3dmark score only 8500 guys whats wrong? i use newest driver is that a problem?

I assume it's 3dmark11 in standard (performance) mode (i.e., P-score)... Just 8500? Das ist nicht zum lachen. Log your GPU temperatures and clocks with GPU-Z (or, better still, your CPU and GPU temps and clocks with HWInfo), run 3dmark, and then report back. Drivers should not be a problem but maintaining 1050 might be too much for the card if you load it too much without keeping it cool enough.

post-7523-14494997430375_thumb.jpg

Flashing an nVidia GTX 880m... is it ok to use the GTX 780m - 'OC edition' - rev02.zip in Post #2 ?

I've been reading these forums and some related articles with great interest, as I have just gotten a new rig with the new nVidia GTX 880m.

I must admit that I probably would have just gotten the 780m, with the lower memory, had I performed the correct searches earlier on.... but hell, the last time I was gaming, Battlefield 2 was the rage, and WoW was just becoming a mild social concern... and besides, I keep hearing the faint echo of "640K ought to be enough for anybody"... (anybody... anybody... anybody...) Plus, after suffering a concussion a few years ago, my own memory isn't the best sometimes... so now as it begins to fail me more, I'll take comfort that my graphics card has more than enough to spare for both of us.

So... back to my question... can I flash the 880m with the 780m vbios, or should I wait for an 880m-specific one?

After reading everything I can find, it seems like I should be able to use the GTX 780m vbios for my 880m, since they're essentially the same card... but I haven't read anything that explicitly states that. I'm uncertain whether the difference in the amount of memory would warrant changes to the vbios file, or if the same vbios file is all good, and the processor just uses whatever memory it has available. I even read an account of overclocking the 880m specifically, but there was no specific mention of what vbios was used.

Could someone clarify for me? I know I could just do a backup of the old vbios first, and restore it if something goes wrong, but obviously I'd rather avoid it if possible.

Thanks!

At the very least you'd have to make sure that the amount of GB of VRAM was the same between your 880M and the 780M vBIOS that you were going to flash. You also might lose Optimus graphics switching if the 780M wasn't a selectable option for your build of laptop. I don't know enough about it to give you a definitive answer about whether it would work or not, but I know you would want to consider the previous 2 points I made anyway.

I'm using the MSI Afterburner. But now that I am looking I might have missed something since NVIDIA Inspector still says that the Current Clock is 135MHz and the Memory is 405.

Do you have a turbo button on your laptop?

I found that on my MSI if I don't press turbo(whether afterburner is open or closed) it will not increase the clocks to the values I set in afterburner.

I think you are getting a reading at IDLE. Start Afterburner and turn on the kombustor benchmark. Then look at what Nvidia inspector or GPUZ reports. Kombustor should also report the clocks you set.

I assume it's 3dmark11 in standard (performance) mode (i.e., P-score)... Just 8500? Das ist nicht zum lachen. Log your GPU temperatures and clocks with GPU-Z (or, better still, your CPU and GPU temps and clocks with HWInfo), run 3dmark, and then report back. Drivers should not be a problem but maintaining 1050 might be too much for the card if you load it too much without keeping it cool enough.

highest temp while 3dmark 11 was 88c with 1100core... and my score check this...something is wrong NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700MQ,Alienware 04WT2G

on nvidia inspector theres a option " power and temperatur target " i left it 100% even though i can push it to 146% is that maybe the problem? what is this option for ... i run 1100core with +100mV

EDIT: check this guys... http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8190058 i dont get it :/ maybe its the AW17 240W not enough?

Are you looking at the clocks at IDLE? Have you tried running GPUZ and Kombuster to check what the clocks are under load?

At the very least you'd have to make sure that the amount of GB of VRAM was the same between your 880M and the 780M vBIOS that you were going to flash. You also might lose Optimus graphics switching if the 780M wasn't a selectable option for your build of laptop. I don't know enough about it to give you a definitive answer about whether it would work or not, but I know you would want to consider the previous 2 points I made anyway.

Okay.... so what vbios (etc) is johnksss using for his 880m overclocking?

Ah... nevermind... just got a response from johnksss on a different forum. Completely unreleased as of yet... will be waiting.

Yes, I'm surprised that vBIOS has not been posted up in this thread on Page 1. If you're interested in getting your hands on that vBIOS then maybe svl7 or johnksss could sort you out with that, but maybe there's a reason for them withholding it from the public at the moment - maybe it's buggy or something!

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the reply guys. It does seem like it was because of idle mode. I just thought it kept the MHz clock stable as it was doing that before.

But after a long night I managed to make the SSD work and everything is installed. Still updating windows and installing programs. I reflashed the VBIOS as I thought it had been reset. Looking forward to my first startup test. Hope it beats 42 seconds or it was a waste of time and money :D

Hopefully i will know in a few hours.

Just wanted to say thanks to svl7 . I wound up flashing the Clevo 670MX 3G driver on top of my MSI card and it works flawlessly. Surprisingly well in fact. The card is not only faster(marginally but still faster) at the same clocks as the factory VBios but the best part is its running 10 degrees cooler. That means I can run it at higher clocks than before.

I don't know if you will modify the MSI VBios I attached, but if you do i'll gladly test it for you.

Thank you again.

Edit: Just noticed something else, I dont need to press the turbo button anymore to enable the higher clocks. Whether on or off the clocks always reflect what I set in afterburner.

Just wanted to say thanks to svl7 . I wound up flashing the Clevo 670MX 3G driver on top of my MSI card and it works flawlessly. Surprisingly well in fact. The card is not only faster(marginally but still faster) at the same clocks as the factory VBios but the best part is its running 10 degrees cooler. That means I can run it at higher clocks than before.

I don't know if you will modify the MSI VBios I attached, but if you do i'll gladly test it for you.

Thank you again.

Edit: Just noticed something else, I dont need to press the turbo button anymore to enable the higher clocks. Whether on or off the clocks always reflect what I set in afterburner.

That sounds good, but strange! The modified vBIOS shouldn't enable it to run cooler, unless MSI programmed an unnaturally high voltage for it's 3D clocks thereby resulting in higher temperatures. Did you notice a difference in voltage between your stock MSI vBIOS and the modified vBIOS?

That sounds good, but strange! The modified vBIOS shouldn't enable it to run cooler, unless MSI programmed an unnaturally high voltage for it's 3D clocks thereby resulting in higher temperatures. Did you notice a difference in voltage between your stock MSI vBIOS and the modified vBIOS?

It is because with turbo off, it runs at 0.950V and with turbo on, it runs at 1.012V.

- - - Updated - - -

Ello svl7, can you pls unlock my core clock limit /spost-18115-14494997436216_thumb.jpg :snicker::snicker::snicker:

I bit the bullet and flashed a K4000M HP card (8770w) with the Dell OC bios modded by svl7 (since the 8770w works with Dell cards anyway).

The flash seems to have proceeded as expected (I was asked to override the original card's ID and said yes), BUT the max oc is still fixed at 135MHz. I un- and reinstalled numerous driver versions (full un-install followed by DDUinstaller for good measure) after reading on this thread that this solved the problem with a K3000M (but then that was a svl7-modded HP bios, not a Dell one).

Is there a lock of some sort on/in the HP bios?

Can somebody please look at the original HP K4000M bios (attached, as saved by nvflash) to determine whether it is at least moddable?

I reflashed the K4000M with the Dell bios, same problem - cannot unlock the slider past +135MHz. I also discovered, however, that the P8 and P5 states can be unlocked. It's only the P0 that stays locked. In this normal?

Hi guys. A quick question. Has anyone had the experience that Afterburner and Nvidia Inspector mess each other up? When I ran the fixed overclock VBIOS Afterburner showed the correct MHz but when I tried the Overclocking edition Afterburner always runs on 435 Mhz while Inspectors says its running at the MHz I clocked it too... I guess Inspector is correct and Afterburner wrong...

Prior to flashing I compared both bios' using Kepler Bios Tweaker and I noticed that line for line the MSI stock bios had more lines with higher voltages than the Clevo Bios.

I attached my factory bios in an earlier post if you would like to review yourself.

It is because with turbo off, it runs at 0.950V and with turbo on, it runs at 1.012V.

This does not seem true. I am running the kombustor burn-in side by side with GPUZ and pressing the turbo button does not affect the voltage. In fact it doesnt affect anything after I flashed the clevo bios. On the MSI bios I could use the turbo button to enable/disable the overclock but not anymore.

This does not seem true. I am running the kombustor burn-in side by side with GPUZ and pressing the turbo button does not affect the voltage. In fact it doesnt affect anything after I flashed the clevo bios. On the MSI bios I could use the turbo button to enable/disable the overclock but not anymore.

I was talking about the msi vbios. Clevo doesn't have a turbo button and therefore hitting it doesn't do anything at all. On msi, your voltage would increase from 1.000V - 0.950V to 1.037V - 1.012V depending on whether your temperature is above or below 67C when you hit the turbo button. If you flash svl7's modified msi vbios, the only thing the turbo button would do, is make your clocks stay at max at all times. However, changing your clocks using nvidia inspector/ msi afterburner will make the turbo button useless in svl7's vbios.

I was talking about the msi vbios. Clevo doesn't have a turbo button and therefore hitting it doesn't do anything at all. On msi, your voltage would increase from 1.000V - 0.950V to 1.037V - 1.012V depending on whether your temperature is above or below 67C when you hit the turbo button. If you flash svl7's modified msi vbios, the only thing the turbo button would do, is make your clocks stay at max at all times. However, changing your clocks using nvidia inspector/ msi afterburner will make the turbo button useless in svl7's vbios.

That's interesting with the 67 degC voltage dependancy that you mention. I wonder if that means that higher voltages over 67 degC are dangerous for the GPU? I know for the 600 series desktop GPU's like the GTX 680, then max Turbo Boost (referring to the NVidia feature, not the MSI Turbo Boost) voltage of 1.175V was reduced to a lesser value when above 70 degC. 700 series GPU's seem to go against this rule though, so I wonder if there is any difference on the voltage tolerance of the silicon between the 600 & 700 series GPU's, even though they're both the same Kepler cores. It's a mystery!?

That's interesting with the 67 degC voltage dependancy that you mention. I wonder if that means that higher voltages over 67 degC are dangerous for the GPU? I know for the 600 series desktop GPU's like the GTX 680, then max Turbo Boost (referring to the NVidia feature, not the MSI Turbo Boost) voltage of 1.175V was reduced to a lesser value when above 70 degC. 700 series GPU's seem to go against this rule though, so I wonder if there is any difference on the voltage tolerance of the silicon between the 600 & 700 series GPU's, even though they're both the same Kepler cores. It's a mystery!?

I don't know exactly why. Angerthosenear had extreme throttling issues on his 650m when he hit 67C on his m14x. Mine throttles back to stock clocks when I hit 89C.

I don't know exactly why. Angerthosenear had extreme throttling issues on his 650m when he hit 67C on his m14x. Mine throttles back to stock clocks when I hit 89C.

Mine is supposedly limited to 87 degC according to NVidia Inspector, but it never gets that hot, so don't know if it would throttle at that point. I think most of the time this is controlled by settings in the vBIOS, but I could be wrong.

Mine is supposedly limited to 87 degC according to NVidia Inspector, but it never gets that hot, so don't know if it would throttle at that point. I think most of the time this is controlled by settings in the vBIOS, but I could be wrong.

In my case, on my GT70, the throttling is controlled by the embedded controller. I actually had to flash an EC firmware with throttling relaxed as any overclock was rendered useless pretty quickly. Now, if throttling occurs its, I think, at 87c.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=162629.0

I am curious if the barebones EC firmware is any different or better than the unlocked one provided by MSI. Anyone here know how to modify EC firmware?

Thanks for the clarification. I understand your point now.

• Thumbs Up 1

In my case, on my GT70, the throttling is controlled by the embedded controller. I actually had to flash an EC firmware with throttling relaxed as any overclock was rendered useless pretty quickly. Now, if throttling occurs its, I think, at 87c.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=162629.0

I am curious if the barebones EC firmware is any different or better than the unlocked one provided by MSI. Anyone here know how to modify EC firmware?

Thanks for the clarification. I understand your point now.

I wish they had included what exactly the beta EC changed. All I got from him was that it allowed better use of power by the cpu/gpu.

• Brian featured this topic