NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Thanks for your reply! This is my first gaming notebook so I'm still figuring things out. I think I'm going to get a Dell 240W brick, or a Clevo 300/330W brick, still in doubt because I'll have to carry it to university with me on long days. The Dell seems to be the sweet spot because it's lighter and still more powerfull then my current adapter, but the Clevo just has more power. Right now I'm thinking about the Dell because I'm not planning on really overclocking it further.

Also having a spare brick never hurts.

I'm probably going to keep the OC's then, I've stress tested them for quite some time now (about 6 hours) and they seem stable.

I'm running a Clevo P150SM, my mistake, I forgot to mention the type and brand. I've bought a rebranded European version because I live in Europe, but it's basically a Clevo P150SM. So the CPU and the GPU doesn't share heat pipes and doesn't have a bridge those are the MSI ones. I have a friend who has a 17' MSI with the shared heatsinks and a 780M, the Clevo outperforms it (both on standard clock speeds with max fan turned on).

This while his laptop is able to supply more power due to the NOS system (allowing his system to draw power from the brick and the battery at the same time). The MSI tends to throttle because of temperature (or something in the vbios we couldn't figure it out for sure and he didn't really care). I'm not too sure about the performance and usefullness of the bridge to be honest.

240W should be plenty for your 780M and 4700MQ! I'd estimate that you'd probably have about 40W headroom on that one with the 240W supply. The only time you'll be limited by it is when you're trying to charge the battery & game at the same time: the recharge rate may be slowed. I'd go with the 240W if it's significantly smaller than the 330W. Also, check that the power supplies are compatible with your laptop, it doesn't just come down to the plug attachment & output voltage, sometimes using the wrong adapter may result in your battery not charging. You've probably already checked that though given that you've made those detailed suggestions for those PSU's you mentioned though.

240W should be plenty for your 780M and 4700MQ! I'd estimate that you'd probably have about 40W headroom on that one with the 240W supply. The only time you'll be limited by it is when you're trying to charge the battery & game at the same time: the recharge rate may be slowed. I'd go with the 240W if it's significantly smaller than the 330W. Also, check that the power supplies are compatible with your laptop, it doesn't just come down to the plug attachment & output voltage, sometimes using the wrong adapter may result in your battery not charging. You've probably already checked that though given that you've made those detailed suggestions for those PSU's you mentioned though.

I agree with you, I was planning on buying this adapter: Original Dell Alienware M18x 19.5V 12.3A 240W Slim AC Power Adapter Charger and this connector: X75 Power Connector 7 4 x 5 08mm Female Jack to 5 5 x 2 5mm Male Plug | eBay, and if it doesn't work I'll just solder them together.

Thanks again for the advice :)

EDIT: I'm also considering buying Svet's VBIOS tool to make my oc permanent.

I considered svet's bios tool too, but really I have no guarantee that it would cover all the possible board combinations for my card (ASUS, DELL, MSI, CLEVO, in 1.5GB and 3GB flavours).

Don't want to end up wasting the 15$, plus I've noticed that he doesn't seem very forthcoming with supporting any products other than MSI ones.

I considered svet's bios tool too, but really I have no guarantee that it would cover all the possible board combinations for my card (ASUS, DELL, MSI, CLEVO, in 1.5GB and 3GB flavours).

Don't want to end up wasting the 15$, plus I've noticed that he doesn't seem very forthcoming with supporting any products other than MSI ones.

I've just bought the tool, I thought let's give it a try for 15 bucks.

It works great and I think it's easily worth the 15 bucks, it has actually exceeded my expectations. If you'd like me to check the support of your vbios for you you can PM me (to check if the tool recognizes your VBIOS).

I'm glad to hear it wasn't permanent. By the way, how does that dual-core CPU cope with a 780m? :D

My guess is that it would limit it in games that can use 4 cores or more - like Crysis 3 for example. Don't think dual core is going to be very future proof for games coming up this year and the next.

I confirm that modifying the svl7 vbios with Svet tool will brick you card, I just recovered mine with a new vbios chip :smug:

I'm just interested, can you change that chip without soldering? Also: I've read about people screwing their vbios up that way and they could just do a blind flash.

I'm just interested, can you change that chip without soldering? Also: I've read about people screwing their vbios up that way and they could just do a blind flash.

Depends on the board. The M18xR1/R2 can flash a bricked vbios, most others can't.

Hi everybody,

I've recently purchased a clevo P370EM model with two 680m models. Now I came across the vbios-mods and read that the procedure is a little different from flashing just one card, so I thought it would be a good idea to ask you guys before messing everything up. I've already updated my BIOS to the Prema-version (which I hope is compatible to tweaked vbios-versions?) and did a couple of vbios flashs on single-gpu systems (unfortunately, all of them were AMD cards).

Is there a guide somewhere on how to flash a 680m SLI system or can someone tell me which steps I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

hello svl7, i am big fan of yours and totally impressed by your vBIOS work, i own a P157SM ( Xenom X157) with 17 4700MQ and GTX780M, recently while farcry3 and cod ghost, i faced some weird GPUZ hitting pwr cap issu, I was suggested by some enthusiasts to use your custom vBios for GTX780M to remove the stock bios power cap. Well i did flash the bios successfully and dint get any pwr cap afterwards when playing the game at full load. But unfortunately i faced some weird freeze and go stuttering issue which made me get back to stock :'(.

The freeze happens randomly then runs normal again , but it happens frequently, it happens mainly in firefights or graphic heavy areas. first i thought it was a game bug but when tested with AC3, the same issue persisted. Hence i figured it was better to go back to stock. Now my question is :: to your knowledge, is there any reported issue as such with clevo vbios modding? did i do something wrong? Can i flash the vBIOS at all in my laptop? also is there a relation between bios and the vBIOS and since am running a stock BIOS as well, do i have to flash it too?

Please help me as I got so much freedom over the gpu with the mooded vBIOS but cant keep it that way because of this issue driving me mad, any help gratly appreciated,

Big Fan

675M or 675MX? 675M is fermi and not compatible with these vbioses.

i just read the description again carefully and realized just what you said... d'OH!!!

is there any possibility/vbios to flash the 675m fermi pos? looking at nvidia inspector the gpu clock is locked -.-

Careful with that tool and some of the more advanced svl7 vBIOS!

Altering a svl7 BIOS further resulted in a nice brick...

I managed to mod svl7's msi 4gb 675mx vbios for a bit more voltage. I didn't use svet's tool though. I attached the vbios I modified. Tell me if I messed up somewhere? http://i.imgur.com/JVj28bw.jpg

675mx 1.050V - 1.025V.zip

[ATTACH]10813[/ATTACH]

I managed to mod svl7's msi 4gb 675mx vbios for a bit more voltage. I didn't use svet's tool though. I attached the vbios I modified. Tell me if I messed up somewhere? http://i.imgur.com/JVj28bw.jpg

1.25 V, are you serious?! Or do you mean 1.025V? I think 1.25V is too much, desktop cards normally only go up to 1.175V.

• Thumbs Up 1

1.25 V, are you serious?! Or do you mean 1.025V? I think 1.25V is too much, desktop cards normally only go up to 1.175V.

Ooops I meant 1.025V. I messed up while I typed out the file name for compressing and uploading. I fixed it and edited my earlier post.

Hi all :)

What version of vbios clevo 680m gtx guys you will recommend for sli . My power brick is stock 300W.

Kind Regards

Tomasz

I guess you're concerned about using more than the 300W your power brick will provide - so you might be concerned that you'll get throttling with the VBIOS's that are at the higher voltages of 1.05V. If that's the case, why don't you start off with flashing one of the VBIOS's which have a lower voltage - if your temperatures are good & you don't get throttling then try the next one up in terms of voltage level. If you get throttling and/or temperatures are too high, then flash back down to the the next voltage down. I'd imagine that at 1.05V and a full overclock that each 680M will use just over 100W, maybe 110W as a guess - so that's 220W for the 2 GPUs. Then you've got 60W for your CPU, so that's 280W, then you've got 20W for the rest of your system, which then makes 300W. So, I reckon with the 1.05V version you might be close to your 300W limit, but in reality your CPU won't used 60W when gaming, but more like 40W, which might have it sit at 280W gaming load, which is OK for your 300W. Try them & see what works.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Brian featured this topic