NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

• Bios Modder
so flashed my 675mx back to the rom from here, everythings fine and runs smoothly but after a while it gets stuck in P5 state .. that is soo weird. I have a MSI GT60 with a modified EC so that the CPU doesn't throttle. I dont think that this is the culprit .. everything is controlled via vBios, am i right ? So my clocks are 1066 on the Core and 2300-2500 on the Memory. No artifacts nothing, even after ours it is rock solid. Then sometimes, P5 324core and 800mem, its stuck cant get it out ... could it have something to do with my OC or is it because the Rom is heavily modified ... thanks in advance :D

so switching active status in hardware manager restores it ...

Modified EC firmware so that the CPU doesn't throttle? Your CPU throttle without modified EC firmware? How much fan speed when CPU temp 90C? 70% or 100%?

do you modify the p5 clocks in vbios??? because when i do this i have the same result as you :)

no sir ... allll vanilla :)

Modified EC firmware so that the CPU doesn't throttle? Your CPU throttle without modified EC firmware? How much fan speed when CPU temp 90C? 70% or 100%?

talking about that : https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=162629.0 GT60/70 are starting pretty quickly to throttle down when they´re running on turbo .. and thats pretty stupip, my i7 runs @66C 3,20ghz max thats nothing .. 675MX fries @85C max sometimes, fan is manually @60%

I think you'll be able to get away with 1.1V, but like I said I don't know if there are any hard & fast rules to this, there's a lot of grey area! I think whatever voltage you choose (& corresponding overclock), you should choose one where you get zero power throttling, that way you're putting less stress on the other MXM board components. Voltage makes so much of a difference to power consumption. If I run my card at 0.975V and 1006Mhz I get about 130W gaming system total load (not just GPU, but whole system), and if I up the voltage to 1.05V and 1124Mhz then I get nearly 160W gaming system total load. Always best to keep voltage as low as possible, the more you increase it, then the lower the efficiency in all respects.

does that mean that when i run at for example 1.0620v @ 1100mhz gpu core, and memory @ 1325mhz, everything is fine, but when raising the voltage to say 1,1250 and my Gpu throttles down to like 800mhx core clock and i get "PWR" perfcap reason from drivers in GPU-Z its becouse my laptop has exceded the 180watt that my AC/DC adapter can output.

because my GT70 should be able to run taking power from both the AC-adapter and the PC-battery at the same time... and i have been thinking that this function isnt working after i upgraded from win 8 to win8.1 and

also upgraded to nvidias latest drivers instead of MSI drivers..... so mabey my suspiction is correct reinstalling win8 and msi drivers i might be able to run a lot more stable benchmarks at higher core/volt

does that mean that when i run at for example 1.0620v @ 1100mhz gpu core, and memory @ 1325mhz, everything is fine, but when raising the voltage to say 1,1250 and my Gpu throttles down to like 800mhx core clock and i get "PWR" perfcap reason from drivers in GPU-Z its becouse my laptop has exceded the 180watt that my AC/DC adapter can output.

because my GT70 should be able to run taking power from both the AC-adapter and the PC-battery at the same time... and i have been thinking that this function isnt working after i upgraded from win 8 to win8.1 and

also upgraded to nvidias latest drivers instead of MSI drivers..... so mabey my suspiction is correct reinstalling win8 and msi drivers i might be able to run a lot more stable benchmarks at higher core/volt

Well, you are getting a power throttle then, but seeing that it says "PWR" perfcap reason in GPUz then I assume it's the NVidia card that is telling itself to throttle - so probably not your power adapter. So, you can use NV Inspector to put the Power Slider all the way to the max if you haven't already done so. If that doesn't work, then you might just want to pick a voltage level & overclock that doesn't create the PWR perfcap.

Well, you are getting a power throttle then, but seeing that it says "PWR" perfcap reason in GPUz then I assume it's the NVidia card that is telling itself to throttle - so probably not your power adapter. So, you can use NV Inspector to put the Power Slider all the way to the max if you haven't already done so. If that doesn't work, then you might just want to pick a voltage level & overclock that doesn't create the PWR perfcap.

thanks for the tip, i havent used that program b4, i was using asus gpu tweak. i downloaded and ran it, my power and temerature setting is grayed out ( but the value is 100%)

only "prioritize temp" is adjustable and its set to 96 celcious allready hehe. but my card never runs over 65/68 degrees so temps are fine...

thanks for the tip, i havent used that program b4, i was using asus gpu tweak. i downloaded and ran it, my power and temerature setting is grayed out ( but the value is 100%)

only "prioritize temp" is adjustable and its set to 96 celcious allready hehe. but my card never runs over 65/68 degrees so temps are fine...

Did you right click the icon for NVidia Inspector and select "Run as Administrator"? That might free up your Power Slider, and allow you to set it to 150% for example. Also, are you using SVL7's VBIOS from this thread, because that's been designed to allow you to use the Power Slider and change the voltages using NVidia Inspector specifically?

EDIT: Hope that all helps, if not, then unfortunately I don't have any more suggestions for you.

Did you right click the icon for NVidia Inspector and select "Run as Administrator"? That might free up your Power Slider, and allow you to set it to 150% for example. Also, are you using SVL7's VBIOS from this thread, because that's been designed to allow you to use the Power Slider and change the voltages using NVidia Inspector specifically?

EDIT: Hope that all helps, if not, then unfortunately I don't have any more suggestions for you.

i've set the program to run as administrator. but it does not change anything..., yes im using SVL7's bios. the one for GTX770m named MSI 770m - 80.06.54.00.11 'OC edition' - rev02.zip (60.4 KB, 30 views) it has the exact same bios version number as my stock bios

unless this is something thats happening becouse im using nvidias latest drivers "v332.21" instead of the drivers from MSI's homepage that is v327.39

do you try to chance the power settings in the vbios?

i dont know how to do that, i only flashed the bios with svl7's modded bios and then just used MSI afterburner and later asus gpu tweak becouse msi afterburner didnt allow me to change voltage even thu

i changed the config for it to enable overclocking as per instructions on msi forum..

so the vbios should be exactly as svl7 modded it, only used software overclocking programs in windows...

i dont know how to do that, i only flashed the bios with svl7's modded bios and then just used MSI afterburner and later asus gpu tweak becouse msi afterburner didnt allow me to change voltage even thu

i changed the config for it to enable overclocking as per instructions on msi forum..

so the vbios should be exactly as svl7 modded it, only used software overclocking programs in windows...

Just a thought, maybe you're getting conflicts with using all the different overvolting & overclocking software. So, for instance when you try using NVidia Inspector, just use NVidia Inspector on it's own to set voltage & power slider. Maybe if you set the voltage in GPU Tweak, and then open up NVidia Inspector that might create a conflict that might not let you use the power slider. Just an idea, use NVidia Inspector on it's own if you haven't tried that already.

yeah me too i can change everything except the power slider , its locked !

its grayed out and locked but it also says 100% but seems to be a read only state... is it the same for you?

i think svl7 set it to 100 and locked it. mabey svl7 can shed some light on this for us? :)

iv'e been thinking,... my gtx770m is a 75-100w gpu and the cpu is 47-56w, then add in all the other stuff in the laptop like the backlit keyboard, mobo, SCREEN, fans, blueray player, speakers, ect...

my ac adapter is at 180w, and gpu+cpu alone is @ 156w when in full load,.. that leaves 36w to the rest of the laptop, does that not sound very low from the start?..

asus ships some laptops with 230w adapters and im starting to think that with the OC on my gpu im running out of watts, and thats why MSI has this "hybrid power feature" were the laptop draws power from both the battery and the ac-adapter

untill batery becomes below 30% or there around. and im thinking that this hybrid power thing does not work on my PC or simply isnt enough with the OC on both gpu and cpu.

So im going to look into the cost for getting a 230w ac adapter with 5mm/2.5mm connector, mean while im going to reinstall win 8 (have win8.1) becouse i suspect the hybrid power isnt working becouse the program that for it wont start since win 8.1 update

i should measure the watts my PC is pulling from the wall to be sure, but dont have the equiment for it now when i dont work with diesel electrics anymore, im a chef these days :D

anyways any thoughts about my thesis on the wattage shortage is welcome, ill post back later when i got hybrid power workin if that solves the throttle mabey other users should look at the wattage of there ac adapter while doing OC on laptops :D

for reference i have a GT70 20c , i7 4700mq, gtx 770m

iv'e been thinking,... my gtx770m is a 75-100w gpu and the cpu is 47-56w, then add in all the other stuff in the laptop like the backlit keyboard, mobo, SCREEN, fans, blueray player, speakers, ect...

my ac adapter is at 180w, and gpu+cpu alone is @ 156w when in full load,.. that leaves 36w to the rest of the laptop, does that not sound very low from the start?..

asus ships some laptops with 230w adapters and im starting to think that with the OC on my gpu im running out of watts, and thats why MSI has this "hybrid power feature" were the laptop draws power from both the battery and the ac-adapter

untill batery becomes below 30% or there around. and im thinking that this hybrid power thing does not work on my PC or simply isnt enough with the OC on both gpu and cpu.

So im going to look into the cost for getting a 230w ac adapter with 5mm/2.5mm connector, mean while im going to reinstall win 8 (have win8.1) becouse i suspect the hybrid power isnt working becouse the program that for it wont start since win 8.1 update

i should measure the watts my PC is pulling from the wall to be sure, but dont have the equiment for it now when i dont work with diesel electrics anymore, im a chef these days :D

anyways any thoughts about my thesis on the wattage shortage is welcome, ill post back later when i got hybrid power workin if that solves the throttle mabey other users should look at the wattage of there ac adapter while doing OC on laptops :D

for reference i have a GT70 20c , i7 4700mq, gtx 770m

We talked about this before, I responded by saying that I didn't think the 770M throttling was down to your 180W PSU, that should just be enough for an overclocked 770M and a 47W CPU (your CPU won't used 47W when gaming, more like 35W because you're not at 100% load). You're probably not consuming more than 160W. Might be cheaper to buy a Watt Meter to just plug into the wall, then your Power Adapter wall plug will plug into that - will display wattage used of total system when gaming or whatever. Up to you though. (However, you won't be able to significantly charge the battery & game at the same time, there's not enough overhead for that with a 180W power supply).

EDIT: Actually, just looked back at the settings you're using. If you're at 1.1V and 1150Mhz then you probably are knocking up at 180W, my peak gaming wattage in rare instances is about 160W with everything overclocked as my signature shows. If you really have to use 1.1V, then you'll be really close to 180W during peak load periods. Still, useful to get the Watt Meter first though, it's interresting & useful to see how much power your system is using.

We talked about this before, I responded by saying that I didn't think the 770M throttling was down to your 180W PSU, that should just be enough for an overclocked 770M and a 47W CPU (your CPU won't used 47W when gaming, more like 35W because you're not at 100% load). You're probably not consuming more than 160W. Might be cheaper to buy a Watt Meter to just plug into the wall, then your Power Adapter wall plug will plug into that - will display wattage used of total system when gaming or whatever. Up to you though. (However, you won't be able to significantly charge the battery & game at the same time, there's not enough overhead for that with a 180W power supply).

EDIT: Actually, just looked back at the settings you're using. If you're at 1.1V and 1150Mhz then you probably are knocking up at 180W, my peak gaming wattage in rare instances is about 160W with everything overclocked as my signature shows. If you really have to use 1.1V, then you'll be really close to 180W during peak load periods. Still, useful to get the Watt Meter first though, it's interresting & useful to see how much power your system is using.

i got an update on this :)

i managed to get the application installed and working that monitors and enables Hybrid power, and hybrid power is working as it should, i ran benchmarks with GPU OC 1100 core, 1.0620v and memory at 1200

i was up at 190w sometimes (the program monitors watt ussage so i could se it there. it was fluctation alot between 150 and 190 depending on the load on the PC overall during the benchmark (3dmark11)

so it would seem my PC does get enough watt via hybrid power and that is not why the drivers report perfcap "pwr" for extra info 1.0500v seems to be right on the border of hybrid power not kickin in and system staying under 180w

i was wrong :D i do have 2 extra multipliers on the cpu so its running 200mhz faster than stock clocks, but its on stock voltage but that might be why im in the high 180w area around 1.05-1.062v on the gpu

• Thumbs Up 2

i got an update on this :)

i managed to get the application installed and working that monitors and enables Hybrid power, and hybrid power is working as it should, i ran benchmarks with GPU OC 1100 core, 1.0620v and memory at 1200

i was up at 190w sometimes (the program monitors watt ussage so i could se it there. it was fluctation alot between 150 and 190 depending on the load on the PC overall during the benchmark (3dmark11)

so it would seem my PC does get enough watt via hybrid power and that is not why the drivers report perfcap "pwr" for extra info 1.0500v seems to be right on the border of hybrid power not kickin in and system staying under 180w

i was wrong :D i do have 2 extra multipliers on the cpu so its running 200mhz faster than stock clocks, but its on stock voltage but that might be why im in the high 180w area around 1.05-1.062v on the gpu

That's good, you seem to have learned more about what's happening. So, to clarify, you're saying that Hybrid Power is working (and has always been working) & you're still seeing the Perf Cap Message in GPUz, and consequently still getting slightly low benchmark scores? If that's the case, then the Perf Cap problems you're having I think is related to the Power Slider issue that I talked about before - which should be visible to you to change in NVidia Inspector. I think if you want to resolve that, then you would need help from svl7 - maybe changing the VBIOS or changing something else in your system so the VBIOS works as it should. I think svl7 is your next port of call if you can get any help from him.

Hey, I have a GTX680M 4GB in a MSI GT70. For some reason, when I update to the latest drivers from Nvidia, MSI afterburner will not detect the GPU properly at all I can't change the core clock, but memory clock can be changed and MSI afterburner reports that the core clock sticks at 324MHz. However, using 302.75, MSI afterburner detects it better and I can do +135MHz on the core and +1000 on the mem. However, the GPU clock seems to be detected very strangely. Furmark reports that it constantly stays at 324MHz, MSI afterburner jumps everywhere between 324 and 771, and GPU-z stays at a steady 771MHz. I think it may be a BIOS related problem. Do you think flashing the BIOS would be a good idea? Should I update the drivers before doing so? Also, new here. Have to make 5 posts. Wanted to put out my problem to contribute and hopefully help others who may be experiencing similar issues. Any help is appreciated! :)

My GTX 680m is having some strange and serious issues. It instantly spikes to 90c as soon as furmark starts and performance is very bad. MSI afterburner is reading it very strangely too. I have a GT70 0NE and I bought this laptop refurbished. Do you think that flashing the BIOS might fix it? Also, new here. Need 5 posts. I made a post on this thread but it didn't seem to go through.

Hey, I have a GTX680M 4GB in a MSI GT70. For some reason, when I update to the latest drivers from Nvidia, MSI afterburner will not detect the GPU properly at all I can't change the core clock, but memory clock can be changed and MSI afterburner reports that the core clock sticks at 324MHz. However, using 302.75, MSI afterburner detects it better and I can do +135MHz on the core and +1000 on the mem. However, the GPU clock seems to be detected very strangely. Furmark reports that it constantly stays at 324MHz, MSI afterburner jumps everywhere between 324 and 771, and GPU-z stays at a steady 771MHz. I think it may be a BIOS related problem. Do you think flashing the BIOS would be a good idea? Should I update the drivers before doing so? Also, new here. Have to make 5 posts. Wanted to put out my problem to contribute and hopefully help others who may be experiencing similar issues. Any help is appreciated! :)

I wouldn't use Furmark on your 680M, NVidia automatically throttle the card to lower clocks when it detects Furmark running. This is because Furmark places unnaturally high loads on the card - which are dangerous to it.

MSI Afterburner may need to be updated to the latest version in order to be compatible with the latest drivers - so I'd try making sure you've got the latest version of Afterburner. See how you go after that.

That's good, you seem to have learned more about what's happening. So, to clarify, you're saying that Hybrid Power is working (and has always been working) & you're still seeing the Perf Cap Message in GPUz, and consequently still getting slightly low benchmark scores? If that's the case, then the Perf Cap problems you're having I think is related to the Power Slider issue that I talked about before - which should be visible to you to change in NVidia Inspector. I think if you want to resolve that, then you would need help from svl7 - maybe changing the VBIOS or changing something else in your system so the VBIOS works as it should. I think svl7 is your next port of call if you can get any help from him.

i think you are correct, ill ask svl7 for help. but ill have to wait untill the end of the month, to much work and wanna afford to donate for the help aswell :D

My GTX 680m is having some strange and serious issues. It instantly spikes to 90c as soon as furmark starts and performance is very bad. MSI afterburner is reading it very strangely too. I have a GT70 0NE and I bought this laptop refurbished. Do you think that flashing the BIOS might fix it? Also, new here. Need 5 posts. I made a post on this thread but it didn't seem to go through.

1, if you can, start GPU-Z and let us know what core clock, memory clock, and voltage you have set for your graphicscard,

also what is the temps you have in idle state and how fast does it go up to 90'C LINK to program

2, are you running with "turbo cooler boost! on? (the mode that puts the fan in max spin)

3 how is the temperature in the room you have the laptop, no hot radiator close by or blocked ventilationports on the laptop?

sorry bout the basic Q's but i dont know your knowledge level so just getting it out of the way, not offence meant :)

dont run the laptop if its 90'C it might get damaged, you might need to repaste the Gpu/Cpu if its running that hot even with the cooler boost mode on.

the reason your card is throtteling might be the high temps themself so i think we should adress the heatproblem you have first b4 messing with Bios/vbios and drivers

start with checking so fans are working, the ventilationports arent blocked or full of dust, if all that is okay i think you might nee to check/reapply thermal paste

EDIT: also if you bought it refurbished, was if from a store that as such must provide warranty? if so you might want to consider having them fixing the heatproblem to not void warranty or right to dissolve the purchase and get your money back

should it be a hardware problem causing... just a thought b4 you open it up since i dont know your legal rights and such were you bought it..

• Brian featured this topic