NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Well I guess it's OK then? A while back when I did it I flashed the 4GB version and it made the card unrecognizable to my computer, it was just completely blank. I flashed the 2GB version after that and it went through. I could OC up to +333 and +350 on mem and it gave me around a 50% FPS boost. So it does work. The only thing is, I think some games overpowered it because GPU usage would be all over the place like the voltage couldn't meet the demands or something I guess.

elmo, what model is your laptop and which bios did you flash?

Kuffs: No, almost every vbios is different, even between different manufacturers. That's why he has ones for the 680m for both Clevo and Dell cards and such. He does actually need one in his possession (or a willing test subject, if you feel like volunteering) to see if stuff works.

Kuffs: No, almost every vbios is different, even between different manufacturers. That's why he has ones for the 680m for both Clevo and Dell cards and such. He does actually need one in his possession (or a willing test subject, if you feel like volunteering) to see if stuff works.

Not so sure that's so often the case. Usually, just the OEM ID is different between different manufacturers. Yes, they can have a custom BIOS, but usually they don't bother as having a dedicated development team for that costs money and what are the gains really? Unless you have a custom PCB or smth which I doubt they do in mobile.

I am new to this scene and this forum. I have a MSI gt70one with gtx680m. I also flashed the latest bios from MSI's website. I have some problems with random framedrops in all games and also a strange graphical glitch in the volume mixer, specifically the system sounds bar. It glitches out. Now is my question: will a vbios flash fix this glitch and any particular framedrops i have? And the last question: can anyone tell whether they also have huge lag in Starcraft 2, even when in low graphics settings? And the game also lags when I am viewing my ladder stats in game. The game is very unplayable!! Any help would be helpful! Thnx a new user

I had something like that on my Clevo P370EM3 with 680M when first upgraded to Windows 8 (with win 8 drivers), but when my vendor XMG notebooks published new Win 8 drivers I updated and everything went good as it was and even better, so try driver updates even if you got the right drivers but not updated.

• Thumbs Up 1

Kuffs: "Really doubt"? Er, basically every PCB is custom in a mobile system. It more or less has to be since you're trying to cram it into such tight confines.

Not only is the motherboard unique and unswappable between different cases (even by the same manufacturer), but the GPU is customized as well to a smaller degree. Rather than having a configuration file, it's cheaper and increases performance (Slightly, but it's there) to have everything hard-coded. It's safer too; if something goes wrong and data gets corrupted, the GPU won't boot since it's very likely the code explaining how to boot got corrupted with it. If it continued to boot and then read bad numbers, it might ask for some obscenely large amount of power or something and potentially ruin other parts of the laptop.

Generally what happens is there's a base image given to them by nVidia, and then they have a program that lets them tweak it to suit their needs. (How else do you think NiBitor used to work?) -- These days though, companies generally have their leaks covered. That's why we got people like svl7!

Disclaimer: The above text just sounds like common sense. I could be totally wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's accurate.

Kuffs: "Really doubt"? Er, basically every PCB is custom in a mobile system. It more or less has to be since you're trying to cram it into such tight confines. Not only is the motherboard unique and unswappable between different cases (even by the same manufacturer), but the GPU is customized as well to a smaller degree.

We're only discussing GPUs here and MXM 3.0b compatible ones.

Rather than having a configuration file, it's cheaper and increases performance (Slightly, but it's there) to have everything hard-coded. It's safer too; if something goes wrong and data gets corrupted, the GPU won't boot since it's very likely the code explaining how to boot got corrupted with it. If it continued to boot and then read bad numbers, it might ask for some obscenely large amount of power or something and potentially ruin other parts of the laptop.

I have no idea what are you talking about here. It's just a lot of generalizations and assumptions.

Generally what happens is there's a base image given to them by nVidia, and then they have a program that lets them tweak it to suit their needs. (How else do you think NiBitor used to work?) -- These days though, companies generally have their leaks covered. That's why we got people like svl7!

Yes, this is what I was talking about. I'd presume most OEMs don't customize the Nvidia BIOS structure, but maybe tweak some options or parts at most and why would they (unless they make changes to the Nvidia PCB design or specs of the used components like memory and such)?

This is why I could take the 680M from e.g. a Clevo laptop and put it in my Dell Precision M6600 or M6700 and it would work although the card is not officially supported by the motherboard BIOS.

Idle voltage is still .8375V

awesome. would anyone be kind enough to guide me through upping the max voltage up just a tid-bit? I am using the custom MSI bios from this thread and can overclock my 670mx to 900Mhz GPU and 1300Mhz memory - however my results are a little unstable despite low temps, which makes me think a little more voltage is needed. I suspect even going up an extra 0.125v should be more than enough for me. Many thanks in advance for anyones input.

Do you really run your K3000M core +500MHz overclocked? Are voltages default or what mods have you done? I am thinking about flashing the vbios for my K3000M (precision m6700) but still not sure how to find out what are safe OC clocks ... :)

EDIT:

Since i was curious, i ran the test and benchmarks myself, i have tried the VBIOS mod for K3000M card and the results are here:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7807[/ATTACH]

Default: 3dmark 2011 graphics score 2515 points

Overclocked (+434MHz core): 3918 points

Temperatures under 100% load with 1087MHz core were: 52-63c, fans were not even fully engaged, very impressive.

Score comparison in 3dmark11:

Nvidia 580M GTX 3390 POINTS beaten by K3000M, easy

Quadro K4000M:rolleyes: 3610 POINTS beaten by K3000M

FURMARK 15MIN test, 63c max, great cooling system on this beast, much better than alienware m17x.

Very happy, thank you!

yes +500mhz core clock and 100% stable untill you start messing with the memory it gets a little funny but most benchmarks i can run +850mhz on the memory most of the time

cinebench score of 97fps

vantage score 20k

max temps i got was 85c but that was with stock thermal compound

Hello guys, anyone ever unlocked a K4000M?

As I see K3000M is a pretty nice card for overclocking, but what about K4000M?Uit is similar to 675MX. Some information about this would be nice. :) I would like to overlock the little beast inside my M6700 Precision, the cooling is absolutely sufficient.

Thanks!

Mine is totally disassembled so I can't check this right now but I'm sure vbios is clevo original, I never touched vbios. U mean any of the Dell or CLEVO vbios won't be matter? And 33.10. is CLEVO vbios, right?

It's been a bit since I checked back in on this forum. Does anyone with a 9370 680m SLI actually game with any overclocking? I found my temperatures were too high to trust it before - so I was wondering if anyone else had any revelations or found a comfort zone I could aim for? If so, what vbios, drivers, and overclock are you running? From what I can tell of picking through the 200 pages here, a lot of people game at stock speeds.

Thanks in advance!

Just by coincidence I was messing around with CPU fine tuning and then I loaded OC GPU profile and ran Crysis 3 which froze on me 3x so I had to switch back to stock.

Now I'm not sure what exactly went wrong because I used to play it on OC w/o problems but my educated guesses are: 1.My CPU tuning wasn't that fine.

2. Cooling is going bad

3. New GeForce driver I installed

Btw while benchmarking it in XTU (781 points) my CPU temp reached 104°C.

I don't think that's a healthy temperature for CPU. ;)

Hi svl7, I think it's great the work you're doing to unleash the potential of these Kepler cards, they seem to OC really well! Do you have an unlocked vBIOS for GTX 670MX 3GB (vBIOS 80.04.58.00.03 - described as DELL card in HWINFO)?

I've just installed the card into my M17xR3, and it runs really cool (61degC) with a +135 core OC, but really looking to unlock the frequency limits on this card. Not particularly interested in a voltage mod, although might consider having that in my back pocket too for when games become too hard to run in a few years!

Forgot to include my vBIOS in my previous post:

GK104.zip

Thanks for adding my card svl7. One question though. You just said that you've added the 3GB Clevo 670MX, I'm assuming that that's the same card and is compatible with my card, the one that said it was a DELL card in HWINFO? Did you make any changes to the vBIOS apart from unlocking the OC limits?

svl7, this is awesome, I've flashed the modded vBIOS you did, and now I can overclock past the +135 limit. I've OCed it to +300 on the core (so 900Mhz Core), and OCed memory to 1000Mhz. Got a 3DMark11 overall P score of 5301, and got 5277 GPU score. Temperatures not changing from stock, not going over 61degC - awesome! :-) Stock GPU score was 3626, so that's an increase in performance of 46%. Thanks a million, I think I'll make a donation to you after lunch! :-)

Here's 3DMark result link:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6774267

3GB Clevo 670mx added and Dell K4000m added. Check the second post.

Thanks for the Dell K4000M update. I've flashed it, but the nvidia inspector and e.g. EVGA Precision are still limited to 135 MHz. This is with the 314.22 drivers, I've tried upgrading to 320.18, but those give me a black screen (and 100+ pages of feedback on them on Nvidia forum are not very encouraging :) ).

My bad, should be fixed now.

Thanks for the quick update. I guess the P5 and P8 states could have been unlocked before, but P0 couldn't. Now +/- 524 MHz is available. Have to try it in the 3d Mark 11 now and I'll report back.

314.22 drivers

Stock: 600/700: P3892, max temp 79 (but run after OC run; didn't keep track during the first run)

OC: 900/1000: P5473 (40% increase), max temp 77 C

OC: 1000/1000: P5903 (50% increase), max temp 79 C

Didn't try to go higher, don't plan to; this is just what I needed to improve the performance in DCS World and try to get by till those 780M prices go down to some reasonable levels (read: much much less than the current 700 EUR :)).

Thanks a lot!

BTW, I've been to Switzerland and man the beer is expensive there.. Hope my small token of appreciation can get you one! ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

OK, my final update on my OC limits: I've reached them! 950Mhz core/1000Mhz Memory. 3DMark11: P5519, GPU 5534. (314.22 drivers). 62degC. So, that's about 6% shy of a stock 680M, which is not bad for gaming at 1600x900! :-) Gonna back it down to 900Mhz & check some stability in gaming. Thanks again, you should be able to get that beer now, although as the previous guy said, don't know the prices in Belgium!! :-)

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6774748

• Thumbs Up 1

• Brian featured this topic