NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

@svl7 Is there any chance that you could create a slightly undervolted version of 'Clevo 680m - 80.04.33.00.10 'OCedition' revised_01.zip'? That is, if it wouldn't be too time consuming. As I tend to run stock clocks most of the time a slight undervolt would be nice for better temps and the like.

Your board ID tells me that you don't use a Dell card, but instead a Clevo or MSI card. You need to flash the correct bios, else you will have serious issues (even though reversible in this case).

I seee.. I suspected this when i saw the error first.

Can you actually tell me by that ID error weather its an MSI card or Clevo card? would be much easier to flash it then.

But it irritates me that upgradeyourlaptop @ ebay sold me an non Dell card even tho the item title was alienware gtx 680M.

post-8983-14494994152036_thumb.png

As shown in the HWinfo it is a DELL 680M card but that can't be true, right?

In any case, would i experience issues if its not a Dell card (not that i experience anything now) when flashing to vbios for clevo/MSI? Its an alienware m17 -r3 fyi.

Okey i've managed to flash the cards vbios now with the clevo version. conclusion? It is a "clevo card".

upgrademylaptop @ ebay says tho that it is a universal card which is tested to work on both aliens, clevos and msis. Iam sure it does work on all types, else it would not have run on my m17-r3.

It is normal to drop voltage, core and memory clocks if the demand does not require use of the resources. That's not a feature if it is doing it even when it is not supposed to (i.e. under load).

its more power savings, for full 3d clocks , like for stock clocks it goes to .987 then drops down to .962 , i believe , they only reason why the have upper voltage is to safely transit from going from 135 or 450 mhz to 716 or whater your clocks are set at, then after it detects that card doesn't have any faults occurring or issues then it drops down to the lower voltage. your card should show the same behavior i believe, my card did. so that is why it goes from 1.050 then drops to 1.020. well it seems like sv7 increase the drop voltage, i think however it is still completely normal thing to happen also discussed earlier in the thread.

all GTX 680M have two seperate 3d voltages, one is the transient 3d voltage to initialize the clocks speeds and the other is takes over after the initial boost to maintain the clocks.

so this one has .987 and then goes to .962 , also another is the the 1.05 volt which goes to 1.037

Hey guys, once again, hoping that someone can help me out ASAP. I have the MSI GE60 0ND-256US. I really would like some help in getting my bios saved and one of the svl7 bioses flashed over. But as i mentioned in my previous post, trying to dump my current bios via gpu-z yields an error. Doing this from a bootable flash drive with nvflash also ended up with a failure and if i try and flash over it just reports my gpu id but it doesnt actually do anything. Please help. Reason why i am in a hurry is because i have 1 more day to return/exchange it and since it has some other issues already too, i want to get this going and then decide if i will keep it or go for a different model alltogether. Please help![h=1][/h]

its more power savings, for full 3d clocks , like for stock clocks it goes to .987 then drops down to .962 , i believe , they only reason why the have upper voltage is to safely transit from going from 135 or 450 mhz to 716 or whater your clocks are set at, then after it detects that card doesn't have any faults occurring or issues then it drops down to the lower voltage. your card should show the same behavior i believe, my card did. so that is why it goes from 1.050 then drops to 1.020. well it seems like sv7 increase the drop voltage, i think however it is still completely normal thing to happen also discussed earlier in the thread.

I fully understand this safe voltages. My stock voltage is 1.0120(With Stock BIOS, as I remember). So why under 100% GPU load voltage is 1.0120 insted of 1.05. I saw only 1.05 when 3DMark was loading.

Edit: May be slv7 changed power-save voltage insted of 100% use voltage

Edit2: Made another test in Medal of Honor Warfighter. While i was in menu voltage was 1.05. When game started voltage is 1.0120.

I fully understand this safe voltages. My stock voltage is 1.0120(With Stock BIOS, as I remember). So why under 100% GPU load voltage is 1.0120 insted of 1.05. I saw only 1.05 when 3DMark was loading.

Edit: May be slv7 changed power-save voltage insted of 100% use voltage

Edit2: Made another test in Medal of Honor Warfighter. While i was in menu voltage was 1.05. When game started voltage is 1.0120.

if u open up MSI kombuster or any 3d stressing program you will see the voltage jump to 1.05 then after awhile it will drop to 1.012, this even happens on my GTX 485M.

EDIT: well when I said my GTX 485M , i meant it's respective voltages

But, it should not go down below reference voltage under load. Sorry, I think I misunderstood what was being said. Those higher voltage values are not the normal operating voltage for the 3D state. So, as I would see it, it is not a "voltage drop" as much as it is the voltage returning to normal after a spike. I thought there was someone having a problem with a power throttle or a condition where voltage was dipping below what it should be in the max 3D P-state.

Once my GPUs enter a performance state the voltage remains steady and does not fluctuate while it is under load. It might do something like that with a stock vBIOS, but I don't use a stock one and never bothered to check.

You will not see voltage "drops" under load in either video...

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDQiLKuoP7w?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true">

Even with this old outdated vBIOS it does not fluctuate... pardon the low score. :D ...was an old vBIOS.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUsmhGFP5hc?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true">

But, it should not go down below reference voltage under load. Sorry, I think I misunderstood what was being said. Those higher voltage values are not the normal operating voltage for the 3D state. So, as I would see it, it is not a "voltage drop" as much as it is the voltage returning to normal after a spike. I thought there was someone having a problem with a power throttle or a condition where voltage was dipping below what it should be in the max 3D P-state.

Once my GPUs enter a performance state the voltage remains steady and does not fluctuate while it is under load. It might do something like that with a stock vBIOS, but I don't use a stock one and never bothered to check.

You will not see voltage "drops" under load in either video...

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDQiLKuoP7w?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="480" width="853">

Even with this old outdated vBIOS it does not fluctuate... pardon the low score. :D ...was an old vBIOS.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUsmhGFP5hc?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="480" width="853">

interesting, could you provide a HWinfo log showing from idle clocks voltage to full 3d clocks voltage

EDIT: sorry i would do this test on my own GTX 680M but it currently has a broken vbios, I'm still waiting for the programmer to get here :\

I seee.. I suspected this when i saw the error first.

Can you actually tell me by that ID error weather its an MSI card or Clevo card? would be much easier to flash it then.

But it irritates me that upgradeyourlaptop @ ebay sold me an non Dell card even tho the item title was alienware gtx 680M.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5745[/ATTACH]

As shown in the HWinfo it is a DELL 680M card but that can't be true, right?

In any case, would i experience issues if its not a Dell card (not that i experience anything now) when flashing to vbios for clevo/MSI? Its an alienware m17 -r3 fyi.

Okey i've managed to flash the cards vbios now with the clevo version. conclusion? It is a "clevo card".

upgrademylaptop @ ebay says tho that it is a universal card which is tested to work on both aliens, clevos and msis. Iam sure it does work on all types, else it would not have run on my m17-r3.

The board ID of the MSI and Clevo cards are identical, the only for me to really identify your card is by seeing a picture of it. Or seeing the original vbios, you can post it in case you made a backup.

However, since the card comes from upgradeyourlaptop it's definitely a Clevo card, cause that ebay user is basically just eurocom selling separate parts. If it really stated Alienware GTX680m and not just something like "compatible with Alienware", then he actually kinda deceived you. However, the card performs just as fine as a Dell card and you won't notice a difference as far as I know. It also comes with 4GB vram vs 2GB on the Dell card.

I don't know how it is with the sound per HDMI with that card in the R3, that might be something which the Dell card can and the Clevo can't, I don't know.

HWiNFO shows the card as Dell, just as the Windows device manager - I guess because the adapter comes with the Dell hardware ID. The vbios would tell you something else.

The board ID of the MSI and Clevo cards are identical, the only for me to really identify your card is by seeing a picture of it. Or seeing the original vbios, you can post it in case you made a backup.

However, since the card comes from upgradeyourlaptop it's definitely a Clevo card, cause that ebay user is basically just eurocom selling separate parts. If it really stated Alienware GTX680m and not just something like "compatible with Alienware", then he actually kinda deceived you. However, the card performs just as fine as a Dell card and you won't notice a difference as far as I know. It also comes with 4GB vram vs 2GB on the Dell card.

I don't know how it is with the sound per HDMI with that card in the R3, that might be something which the Dell card can and the Clevo can't, I don't know.

HWiNFO shows the card as Dell, just as the Windows device manager - I guess because the adapter comes with the Dell hardware ID. The vbios would tell you something else.

Well.. here is the card on ebay.

"USE ONLY WITH ALIENWARE 17x/18x" etc.

I flashed the card with the clevo vbios but i have not tried any OC and i don't think that it would give me issues doing so. It seems to work just fine as it is now.

But what do you suggest me to do Slv?

----

Hi again SLV!

Please forgive me for being a half noob but why is MSI afterburner displaying 325mhz as core clock speed?

The memory is 1800 mhz as the rest of the world. Is this correct or is my core clock underclocked somehow? It has nothing to do with the nvflash because it had the same speed before vbios flash.

I reacted to that when i saw the nvidia specifications on their website.

So is my core clock speed the half of which it should be or am i missing some dual channel technology here?

Well.. here is the card on ebay.

"USE ONLY WITH ALIENWARE 17x/18x" etc.

Well, I think they sell it for "use with AW only" because they know that the cards work in those systems, and can't guarantee it to function in others.

Hi again SLV!

svl... it's svl7 ;):P

Please forgive me for being a half noob but why is MSI afterburner displaying 325mhz as core clock speed?

The memory is 1800 mhz as the rest of the world. Is this correct or is my core clock underclocked somehow? It has nothing to do with the nvflash because it had the same speed before vbios flash.

I reacted to that when i saw the nvidia specifications on their website.

So is my core clock speed the half of which it should be or am i missing some dual channel technology here?

What are you doing when you see those clocks? Running a game? Idling? AC adapter connected or on batter? Only one screen or is a second monitor attached? Which drivers?

Stock 3d clocks should be 758MHz core with that vbios (if you're plugged in), idle with only one monitor at 135MHz.

Well, I think they sell it for "use with AW only" because they know that the cards work in those systems, and can't guarantee it to function in others.

svl... it's svl7 ;):P

What are you doing when you see those clocks? Running a game? Idling? AC adapter connected or on batter? Only one screen or is a second monitor attached? Which drivers?

Stock 3d clocks should be 758MHz core with that vbios (if you're plugged in), idle with only one monitor at 135MHz.

Sorry,, I meant SVL7 ofcourse =)

Well i'll leave the thoughs on the "clevo or dell card" matter now because I really don't think it'll be of any troubles.

As for those clocks. When benchmarked with 3dmark 11 tests i could see on the monitoring that it went from 325 to 425 (because i've increased to another 100mghz, but only 100 because it was limited)

I have not changed anything nor have i checked the msi afterburner since i rebooted after the vbios flash. I will have a look in there after work.

What should i expect next time I open up msi afterburner by the way? That all limits are gone and that shader clock + core voltage are unlocked?

---

Ahh forgot to give the other inputs.

Drivers are 310.90, AC adapter connected and one screen

Iam using the unlocked A12 bios for m17x R3 yes.

3dmark 11 score was P5900

my system :: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mz / gtx 680M 4gb / i7 2670QM

You have an R3, right? Which bios are you using? Your clocks are way off according to your numbers. What was the GPU score in 3dM11?

Oh and BTW!

I still cant see the unlocked volt and shader clock and for the rest is still limited in MSI afterburner.

3dM11 score sounds ok for stock, you have an issue with MSI AB. Enable unofficial overclocking in the config file, make sure you have the latest version, or just use nvidia inspector, that's what I would recommend anyway.

3dM11 score sounds ok for stock, you have an issue with MSI AB. Enable unofficial overclocking in the config file, make sure you have the latest version, or just use nvidia inspector, that's what I would recommend anyway.

Ah thanks, never thought of nvidia inspector

Take a look here mate, the bios is invalid?

post-8983-14494994152274_thumb.png

perhaps that can explain why i still have not unlocked the voltage?

Score update

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/5522480

I still need your wisdom on the vbios displaying "[invalid]" in the inspector.

Hey i want to flash the msi 680m revised 1050 overvolt on my msi gt70 one 416us. will my nvidia driver recognize the card after the flash or will I need a mod?

Oh and also Im willing to test out other versions and send log files etc... do benchmarks and test in general contact me if you wish... i would try now but I still need 5 posts for attatchments :P

Hey i want to flash the msi 680m revised 1050 overvolt on my msi gt70 one 416us. will my nvidia driver recognize the card after the flash or will I need a mod?

Oh and also Im willing to test out other versions and send log files etc... do benchmarks and test in general contact me if you wish... i would try now but I still need 5 posts for attatchments :P

For my Clevo it recognized the driver fine after flashing, nothing special had to be done, so I assume the same will happen with you.

I got some excellent news. Msi 80.04.33.00.24 vbios are fully compatible with P150HM series and seem compatible with P15xEM series.

I flash the 1.0v OV version and got the same score than with the MSI_FD vbios. I will do more test later (stability/performance/behavior and will test MSI 80.04.33.00.24 stock voltage vbios).

• Thumbs Up 1

The Nvidia driver will definitely recognise the card, no problems there. It still is a 680m, that won't change by flashing ;-)

• Brian featured this topic