NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

So. I've been all over this thread and I just wanted to make sure. The Dell vbios dl on the second post is the newest one and allows for a nice oc and no throttling right? I've been waiting for the Dell vbios to not throttle under oc before I dl it.

• Founder
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3920XM Processor Extreme Edition,CLEVO P370EM score: P12455 3DMarks

My best, but I did see 92*C on GPU2 and 95*C for CPU as max temps. :( This is with +135/+500 GPU/MEM..

P370EM and other Clevo notebooks have problems with the heatsink making proper contact with the GPU. I'd suggest you remove the sink, add a 1/4" thick plastic washer and then re-tighten the screws to increase the tension of the sink on the GPU die. This should give you much better temperatures. Oh yeah, before you do all this, make sure that nothing on the card itself is obstructing the heatsink.

@svl7: I'll take your word on it. I noticed the stock voltage, clock, and memory settings so I did the same 3dmark test but set at the same clock/memory as my previous vBIOS and it scored lower. If it is a more stable setting however, I can try to run Hawken again at high/ultra with physx on again instead of using benchmarking tools. I'll get back to you on that.

Using the modified MSI vBIOS from the safe OC thread, I get 30-50 fps in a game of 16 players on Hawken. (Even though it should be running better since the game is made for Nvidia GPU's)

EDIT:

i have retried the same vBIOS for clevo revised on 3dmark and managed to get 7588 score using 980/1800. That's pretty good for me considering I capped the CPU power for the tests. I re-ran Hawken at ultra with physx on and got the 38-58 fps gameplay I wanted at fullscreen 1920x1080. So I'll revise my previous opinion on the vBIOS and will say its a success for a stock voltage OC.

So. I've been all over this thread and I just wanted to make sure. The Dell vbios dl on the second post is the newest one and allows for a nice oc and no throttling right? I've been waiting for the Dell vbios to not throttle under oc before I dl it.

Yes the newest one is the best vbios no issue at all.

@lonesyndal: You have a P150EM and flash successfully with the revised clevo vbios 80.04.33.00.10 ... It's weird because APU71 (page 65) has got problem with his P150EM and a previous release based on this vbios.

At first I thought I had a problem flashing it. However, the trick to get it working on mine was to use the Windows version of NVFlash and then reboot the PC to get it updated with GPU-Z (only if it doesnt register the new vBIOS). It has worked for me every time so far. (NVflash 5.118)

EDIT:

Taking a closer look at his posts and screenshots, he attempted to try the DOS flash. However, when I attempted doing the flash in DOS, it would sit there indefinitely and do nothing. If he can, APU71 can attempt the flash in windows and see if he gets results this time around.

Well, depends on what you're looking for. I clearly recommend the newer, revised vbios. It runs at stock voltage and is therefor cooler, also I noticed better performance in some games. For me both perform the same in 3dM11, but I can only test it on my system of course.

Hey SL7,

I noticed after playing some CS:GO that my SLI card setup, using your VBIOS and Afterburner +135/+500, I'm getting different maximum GPU frequencies between the 2 cards. The readings were like 30mhz or so apart. I forget the actual numbers but is that normal, I don't think I've noticed different frequencies between the cards before?

Thanks a bunch.

-A

• Founder
Dell versions ? Will it work for the Clevo cards and SLI ? Dunno how you would best do it for SLI as when i flashed desktop 680,s i did them 1 at a time with only the single card installed when doing so.. ???

Don't use the Dell one for Clevo cards, this is the one you want: http://forum.techinferno.com/attachments/general-notebook-discussions/5461d1354034760-clevo-680m-80.04.33.00.10-ocedition-revised_01.zip

The command should be the same as desktops:

nvflash -4 -5 -6 -i0 <rom name="">rom <---Card 1
nvflash -4 -5 -6 -i1 <rom name="">.rom <---Card 2

Some people choose not to do -4 -5 but I do anyway.</rom></rom>

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't use the Dell one for Clevo cards, this is the one you want: http://forum.techinferno.com/attachments/general-notebook-discussions/5461d1354034760-clevo-680m-80.04.33.00.10-ocedition-revised_01.zip

The command should be the same as desktops:

nvflash -4 -5 -6 -i0 <rom name="">rom <---Card 1
nvflash -4 -5 -6 -i1 <rom name="">.rom <---Card 2

Some people choose not to do -4 -5 but I do anyway.</rom></rom>

Ahh yep, thanks Brian. Just doing some more study and then ill give it a go. ;)

Okay, its all flashed and successful. They clocking at 758mhz now instead of 719mhz default. So now i can OC and it will in turn be a higher clock ? How does the voltage work on these, there is no control for them ? Mine is still reading just under 1v stock and iv seen a few peoples that read just over 1v ???

• Founder

Yeah use MSI afterburner, you should be able to hit close to 1 ghz. If you have a really good chip, you can get above 1 ghz though the max you really need is around 948 core + 1130 memory. No manual voltage control for these though @svl7 is able to hack the vbios voltage table to set whatever we request.

Yeah use MSI afterburner, you should be able to hit close to 1 ghz. If you have a really good chip, you can get above 1 ghz though the max you really need is around 948 core + 1130 memory. No manual voltage control for these though @svl7 is able to hack the vbios voltage table to set whatever we request.

Im using precision X is that ok ? Yeah sorry, i just been reading about it now and seen its all stock volt mods. Yeah 950mhz would be very nice, that's all i really wanted to hit really but anywhere in the 900,s is pretty impressive anyways.. I saw yours and another run 950-980,s Were they done at default volts ?

lol Can't do to much testing just yet, its like 30 degrees in this room atm.. :(

• Founder
Im using precision X is that ok ? Yeah sorry, i just been reading about it now and seen its all stock volt mods. Yeah 950mhz would be very nice, that's all i really wanted to hit really but anywhere in the 900,s is pretty impressive anyways.. I saw yours and another run 950-980,s Were they done at default volts ?

lol Can't do to much testing just yet, its like 30 degrees in this room atm.. :(

I'd stick with Afterburner, all these programs are made by unwinder but Afterburner is the most popular one. Yeah I can hit 1 ghz on stock voltage with my cards and so far I have the highest GPU score of any notebook (and I did it using stock cooling). The P370em may not be able to fare as well with overclocking, it doesn't have as robust cooling as the M18x but you should be able to get some nice clocks. Just keep an eye on your temps.

post-5-14494994001016_thumb.jpg

Haha Woooh that's impressive, nice man! Yeah i got the Clevo only because of how much i loved my X7200 and they finally made the backlit keyboard and palm rest and lid rubberized which was the only things that i could complain about on the X7200. Had an m15x ages ago and wasn't real impressed with it even though now i realize the m18X is far better and an amazing machine! Yeah cooling will be the issue to a certain point, the fans are pretty sluggish on these things.. With the old x7200,s you could go in the bios and set the fans to 100% but can't seem to with these. Do you know if there is a way i can ???

• Founder
Haha Woooh that's impressive, nice man! Yeah i got the Clevo only because of how much i loved my X7200 and they finally made the backlit keyboard and palm rest and lid rubberized which was the only things that i could complain about on the X7200. Had an m15x ages ago and wasn't real impressed with it even though now i realize the m18X is far better and an amazing machine! Yeah cooling will be the issue to a certain point, the fans are pretty sluggish on these things.. With the old x7200,s you could go in the bios and set the fans to 100% but can't seem to with these. Do you know if there is a way i can ???

Well we'll have to take the discussion to the Clevo forum but from what other owners said, there's FN+F1 or something that should put your fans at 100%. The P370em would be my choice notebook if M18x didn't exist, I like what Clevo has done w/it. My only gripe is they should allow overclocking in the bios like Alienware does + have better cooling.

Well we'll have to take the discussion to the Clevo forum but from what other owners said, there's FN+F1 or something that should put your fans at 100%. The P370em would be my choice notebook if M18x didn't exist, I like what Clevo has done w/it. My only gripe is they should allow overclocking in the bios like Alienware does + have better cooling.

Yeah think someone said something about doing it like that if you have a "sager" but on this the Fn + F1 is the touchpad on / off feature.. Think ill go to the Clevo area and make a post or something if i can't find anything about it. Aahh so that's the main differences between them aye, now i know why so many people speak so highly about the m18x. That is a big plus to have bios tweaking and better cooling haha Oh well!

thanks heaps for your help on this brian. :)

Hey SL7,

I noticed after playing some CS:GO that my SLI card setup, using your VBIOS and Afterburner +135/+500, I'm getting different maximum GPU frequencies between the 2 cards. The readings were like 30mhz or so apart. I forget the actual numbers but is that normal, I don't think I've noticed different frequencies between the cards before?

No idea. Never seen that and never played with an SLI system.

Gruetzi svl7 ... just to make sure that i understand everything right. I can use both MSI vbios versions for my MSI 680m in a clevo p150em?

Yes, I don't see why it shouldn't work. You should even be able to use the Clevo vbios, even though I've written a warning in the second post... it seems that it works after all, at least according to the latest posts of some EM owner.

Ok. I tried it today ... but unfortunately NVFLASH hangs always. doesn't matter witch command i use .. the cursor jumps one line down and that's it. Tried different version and checked Google for help witch nvflash version is working with P150em.. but nothing. so looks like i will stuck on the stock :(

some update. This weird error belongs not to clevo. Very important that zou use the right dos version. May i over read this. But with the W98 dos version nvflash was working well. Than i had the problem that it could not detect my 680m. with nvflash 5.117 .. even if it state 680 Kepler support. but with 5.127 it was. So i flashed to the 200 mhz + from svl7. Running now at 1032/1250 by 89C max after 1 hour Kombuster. May i test higher mem ... but at the moment i am fine with this :)

Is there a hope to see a vbios with such optimization on HM series? Because the only vbios that worked for me is a vbios based on the MSI_FD, that you mod in order to have a load voltage of 1v.

It work pretty well, so thank you, but there is a bug when i am on battery... the gpu don't see that and apply the max clock if a 3d app (or sometimes a software that require gpu acceleration) is launched... it could damage the battery on the long term. This behavior don't appear on the final vbios like the 80.04.29.00.01 or 80.04.33.00.10.

• Brian featured this topic