NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Which version have you been using? Standard 850, 850 ov, or 850 ov oc (there are three). Which worked best for you?

It's the standard 850, no OV or OC. Easiest performance improvement I think I've ever done. Card doesn't throttle under load and temps stay cool.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's the standard 850, no OV or OC. Easiest performance improvement I think I've ever done. Card doesn't throttle under load and temps stay cool.

Thanks. I've just flashed the cards and did a stress test. Everything indeed works fine. The 900 base bios somebody proposed may work great too. I will do a 3dmark 11 test later. Great job svl7.

Thanks. I've just flashed the cards and did a stress test. Everything indeed works fine. The 900 base bios somebody proposed may work great too. I will do a 3dmark 11 test later. Great job svl7.

The result is terrific indeed. Everything stock (2x 680m, 3820qm) scored 10457. The same running '850 regular' without any extra oc goes up to 11261. I did just a single run so an actual result may be a bit higher.

If the 900 base version, if only svl7 will be kind enough to make it, is going to behave in the same way 850 is (no throttles, temps in order, stable), it will be another major win.

The standard 850 does not throttle for me either. The modified 900 oc/ov one does though. :(

From what I have read, a standard vbios set to 900 is pushing the max boundary of what it will do on stock voltage.

Right, the 900 version is already there. Just found it. What clocks does "Dell 680m - OCeditionNew" feature?

Ok, so your 2 MSI 680M 4GB VBIOS seems to be based on a different stock VBIOS than those i've extract from my own MSI 680M 4GB GPU :

post-6478-14494993835193_thumb.png

Your MSI_GTX680m4gb_'OCedition'_VBIOS.zip make my GPU not reconized by Windows and MSI_GTX680m4gb_+_200MHz_OV_ver2.zip cause BSOD at Windows start.

Can you modify my original stock VBIOS like the 2 others you already post ? [ATTACH]5295[/ATTACH]

Thx.

I'm using a 2G Dell 680m as well. The problem is that nothing really seems to work. Will investigate more later.

Maybe with the A05 bios.

As mentioned previously, with the A08-dell-locked-version and A09-unlocked bios, the "GT Overclocking" options in the bios are all grayed out and non-selectable. Is that normal?

Is it locked because I have the 3D version, so the card is internally connected differently?

Here is some of what I can do...

1testingmaxclocks.th.jpg

I think gt overclocking needs an unlocked bios...Not sure. Would have to check.

• Thumbs Up 1

The standard 850 does not throttle for me either. The modified 900 oc/ov one does though. :(

From what I have read, a standard vbios set to 900 is pushing the max boundary of what it will do on stock voltage.

Yep, I'm thinking exactly the same. Maybe if we ask nicely, svl7 can do a standard 875... ;-)

@svl7 - great job with the 680 vBIOS mods! Really liking the results so far.

Right, the 900 version is already there. Just found it. What clocks does "Dell 680m - OCeditionNew" feature?

That version is overvolted and will probably throttle. Hence why I asked for the 900 core with no other changes, I think all these changes to OV and OC and all that just make the Dell card worse. The best bios IMO is the 850 no other changes and several people reported that 900 was stable at stock voltage. It will certainly depend on each persons card but I bet a large majority will be able to run 900 stock voltage and perhaps get no throttling.

Of course, if you have a laptop that can software OC you can try it, just use the 850 no other changes bios and use EVGA Precision to add +50 to the core offset. It should be the same as flashing the bios and would let you test stability, I cannot do that because I am using an M17x R3 which does not do software OC at all on the 680m.

Yep, I'm thinking exactly the same. Maybe if we ask nicely, svl7 can do a standard 875... ;-)

@svl7 - great job with the 680 vBIOS mods! Really liking the results so far.

It could be good for people who can't do standard 900 stable, if he did 875 as well then we would have 850, 875, and 900 which would represent basically the full range of "safe" (stock voltage) overclocks for people who want the free performance boost all the time. The 850 bios is already pretty sweet, just a nice performance boost with no downside.

• Thumbs Up 1

That version is overvolted and will probably throttle. Hence why I asked for the 900 core with no other changes, I think all these changes to OV and OC and all that just make the Dell card worse. The best bios IMO is the 850 no other changes and several people reported that 900 was stable at stock voltage. It will certainly depend on each persons card but I bet a large majority will be able to run 900 stock voltage and perhaps get no throttling.

Of course, if you have a laptop that can software OC you can try it, just use the 850 no other changes bios and use EVGA Precision to add +50 to the core offset. It should be the same as flashing the bios and would let you test stability, I cannot do that because I am using an M17x R3 which does not do software OC at all on the 680m.

Already tried. With this bios (850, no ov) I can't do that. The problem in this thread is that there is several versions of dell vbios, out of which only some are labeled what's what. I know where you are coming from. A 'dry' 900 may work. Which version is not ov and should allow software oc?

There are Dell 680m - 80.04.33.00.21 - OCedition and Dell 680m - OCeditionNew there. I assume both feat. untouched clocks, should allow software oc and are not ov while the second one should be more flexible/allow more? Is this correct? I will flash the latter tomorrow and try things.

Svl7, can you comment on those two what's been done so things are crystal clear? Thanks.

Yo johnksss, which one have you been using for your oc tests?

• Founder
Ok, so your 2 MSI 680M 4GB VBIOS seems to be based on a different stock VBIOS than those i've extract from my own MSI 680M 4GB GPU :

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5296[/ATTACH]

Your MSI_GTX680m4gb_'OCedition'_VBIOS.zip make my GPU not reconized by Windows and MSI_GTX680m4gb_+_200MHz_OV_ver2.zip cause BSOD at Windows start.

Can you modify my original stock VBIOS like the 2 others you already post ? [ATTACH]5295[/ATTACH]

Thx.

Send @svl7 a private message and I'm sure he'll be able to help you out.

Edit: Just checked your attached image. That's fine, just press 'Y' again and it will flash.

Is the throttling with these cards related in any way to the dynamic clocking that they do? Or are they one in the same?

Well, some of the throttling seems to be power related. My guess is that they put a function in the vbios which calculates and monitors the power draw, might depend on several factors.

Of course there's also the temp throttling, but you really shouldn't run into this, even in the M15x temps aren't an issue.

Should allow you to overclock per software, with a higher limit than +135MHz iirc.

Already tried. With this bios (850, no ov) I can't do that. The problem in this thread is that there is several versions of dell vbios, out of which only some are labeled what's what. I know where you are coming from. A 'dry' 900 may work. Which version is not ov and should allow software oc?

There are Dell 680m - 80.04.33.00.21 - OCedition and Dell 680m - OCeditionNew there. I assume both feat. untouched clocks, should allow software oc and are not ov while the second one should be more flexible/allow more? Is this correct? I will flash the latter tomorrow and try things.

Svl7, can you comment on those two what's been done so things are crystal clear? Thanks.

I think it's all described here already, guess I should clean up the title posts when I get the chance.... OCeditionNew is stock, but should allow overclocking per software on any system, as just mentioned above. The other one is outdated.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5296[/ATTACH]

Thx.

Subsystem ID mismatch doesn't matter.

The tweaks I've done in the files you mention won't work in the vbios you posted. Not sure why your system doesn't work with it, that's odd. I can do a more moderate mod on the OEM vbios, that should work.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here is some of what I can do...

1testingmaxclocks.th.jpg

I think gt overclocking needs an unlocked bios...Not sure. Would have to check.

Thanks for your settings. I'll look at this over the weekend when I have more time to do this. Right now, I'm happy with the settings as there is no throttling in the Heaven demo.

I'm also using an unlocked A09 bios now fwiw. The GT overclocking options are still greyed out.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

for what it's worth, I have the same results. All the overvolted versions throttle with my Dell card. The best for me is the base 850 no overvolt version. And I can push it to these levels with no throttling when running the heaven demo with everything turned to the max (but no 3D)

"So my final settings (for tonight) are the base 850 MHz vbios with standard voltage. OC to +50 MHz GPU Core and +450 MHz memory core. Gets good performance (36 FPS after scene 6 with every option set to max and 3D turned off) with no throttling shown in afterburner."

The tweaks I've done in the files you mention won't work in the vbios you posted. Not sure why your system doesn't work with it, that's odd. I can do a more moderate mod on the OEM vbios, that should work.

Could you please add a little voltage up on the Clevo rom to prevent throttling? Also some weeks ago you mentioned you might have figured out a way to enable proper GPU Boost, how about that, any progress?

Subsystem ID mismatch doesn't matter.

The VBIOS I've post is locked ? It's impossible to mod it to get +200 Hz & OV ?

Could you please add a little voltage up on the Clevo rom to prevent throttling? Also some weeks ago you mentioned you might have figured out a way to enable proper GPU Boost, how about that, any progress?

More voltage is counter-productive, it will only cause more throttling. The boost stuff is acting weird, not properly it seems, it spikes up to the set boost but doesn't seem to sustain it.

svl7, Willing to try anything to get the g55 660m to flash correctly.

Oh yeah, right... forgot about this. So much going on. It might brick though... Do you know the recovery procedure for your system?

The VBIOS I've post is locked ? It's impossible to mod it to get +200 Hz & OV ?

Not locked, I can modify it, but it will most likely throttle down when set to +200MHz.

As I've mentioned before, I'm working on improving the mods, but not 24/7 of course. I'll post it here as soon as I got something ready. Might be today, might be this week... can't really give you a date.

Thanks for your settings. I'll look at this over the weekend when I have more time to do this. Right now, I'm happy with the settings as there is no throttling in the Heaven demo.

I'm also using an unlocked A09 bios now fwiw. The GT overclocking options are still greyed out.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

for what it's worth, I have the same results. All the overvolted versions throttle with my Dell card. The best for me is the base 850 no overvolt version. And I can push it to these levels with no throttling when running the heaven demo with everything turned to the max (but no 3D)

"So my final settings (for tonight) are the base 850 MHz vbios with standard voltage. OC to +50 MHz GPU Core and +450 MHz memory core. Gets good performance (36 FPS after scene 6 with every option set to max and 3D turned off) with no throttling shown in afterburner."

You would need to boot intel graphics for this to be un greyed.

• Thumbs Up 2

Not locked, I can modify it, but it will most likely throttle down when set to +200MHz.

As I've mentioned before, I'm working on improving the mods, but not 24/7 of course. I'll post it here as soon as I got something ready. Might be today, might be this week... can't really give you a date.

Ok thx for the informations ! :)

Take your time, the 680M stock is amazing compared to the 570m I had before ! :D

You would need to boot intel graphics for this to be un greyed.

ahh, so it is just for the integrated graphics!! Thanks!!

can't ungrey it then as the integrated graphics are completely disabled on a 3D alienware laptop from what I understand. Will investigate more over the weekend in any case.

Thanks! one mystery solved :-)

• Brian featured this topic