NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Which vbios version is it?

It was me who modified it, at the request of widezu... ;) Anyway, that's a MSI vbios. The MSI vbios are working on the Clevo cards, at least so far, but some Clevo users have issues with the MSI vbios. In the AW systems it seems to work fine.

His is 80.04.29.00.01

Okay but now I installed your vbios from the OP, 680m_Clevo_OCeditionNew.zip

I believe it's the one that is slightly overvolted (Readme says so :P) and it works GREAT so far. I OC'ed it to a pretty stable 919/2250 and got this score in 3dmark11: Generic VGA video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-980 Processor,CLEVO CO. X7200 score: P6703 3DMarks

What is remarkable is that you somehow managed to implement the GPU-boost. When I launch games, they show me 849 on Core, but when the 3D begins after the loadingscreen the Core jumps to 919Mhz. I believe the 3dmark11 run did not jump to 919Mhz but stayed at 849, though. Don't know how to check it as I have to close AfterBurner and GPU-z when doing the benchmark, otherwise I get an error message.

Also with this vbios I don't have to mess with P2 state either, Afterburner works just fine. Temps peak at 77°C, then the fan goes max and cools down to 74°C again.

No, it's stock voltage, I guess I messed up the Read Me file with copy and pasting :D

Your GPU score seems too low for 919MHz. What do you mean with 'pretty stable'? Either it's stable or not...

As I said, I think the GPU Boost I'm experiencing in Games (849Mhz in Loading screens etc, 919Mhz when the game is running) is not activating in 3dmark11. I guess it ran with the not-boosted value of 849. I would like to verify this but 3dmark11 won't run when I'm monitoring it with AfterBurner or GPUz.

Slv7 could you try to make a vbios based on clevo_OCNEW but with a load voltage of 1v instead 0.96v? (like the vbios you made for widezu69) cause with clevo_OCNEW i doesn't have throttling but i have stutering when i tried frequencies higher than 854Mhz (the score in 3dm11 is not constant, i can make 7000 point and in the second run it drop down to 6800)

I'm usually oblivious to problems resuming from sleep because I always disable sleep and hibernation functionality on all systems. My computers are always either turned on or shut off.

lol, lucky you! :( I want sleep to work... -.-

Slv7 could you try to make a vbios based on clevo_OCNEW but with a load voltage of 1v instead 0.96v? (like the vbios you made for widezu69) cause with clevo_OCNEW i doesn't have throttling but i have stutering when i tried frequencies higher than 854Mhz (the score in 3dm11 is not constant, i can make 7000 point and in the second run it drop down to 6800)

I've been (respectively I am) working on improving the mod, it's not as simple as it seems. Had some weird issues with it. Do you have some detailed 3dM11 results and clock logs from Afterburner?

Yes, check the second post on this thread. The vbios is part of the bios, you'll need to flash the bios in order to have a modified vbios. However, the Asus utility might not let you flash it... so if you really want to try it you probably need to go other ways in order to flash it.

Here my findings with your Clevo New rom.

Overclocking works just fine with AfterBurner.

Weird is that the stock clock is not 719 but 732.

If I apply my OC (+200/+450) in AB, firstly in all loadingscreens I get only 849 on Core, Memory works fine at 2250:

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/5518/ocab.png

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/746/ocload.png

But when the loading is finished and the game starts, the Core jumps to 919 (which is basicly 719 + 200, the true default clock)

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/9046/ocbc2.png

Is this your inteded GPU boost?

BTW if I set the core higher (so that it reaches 960+ with that boost) I get throttling after 1 min. And with those 919/2250 I get around 6700 3dmark11 points. Did 3 runs, all are around 6,7k +- 70 points.

919/2250: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4597462

Then I tried upping the Memory to 2350: Almost no difference: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4597597

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been (respectively I am) working on improving the mod, it's not as simple as it seems. Had some weird issues with it. Do you have some detailed 3dM11 results and clock logs from Afterburner?

Yay, that's awesome @svl7!!! I check the thread everyday looking for a Clevo_OCNew+OV @1V! :D I've found the voltages you set in @widezu69 's custom VBIOS of 1025mV/settling at 1000mV is the sweeeeeet spot. I really don't want to be a begger and I'll be satisfied with whatever you release, but I suggest a 1037mV "extreme" OC/OV version and a 1000mV "regular" OC/OV version!

Altough, @Tonrac it's weird you get stuttering past 854MHz, how far are you pushing your memory? You might be clocking your memory too high and your GPU is doing memory error correction.

no problem with my memory @854/2400 with stock vbios or @1005/2400 with slv7 widezu69 version. Only with Clevo_OcNew, score in3dm11 are not constant like you can see above, stuttering can be see in test 2 of 3dmark11, what i see also is that the framerate become less stable with this vbios.

I need to correct my post!

Actually I get immense throttling after 850 on core :( Even at 850... look at the pics:

This is on stock clocks, no throttling

stockb.th.png

This is on my fail OC 919/2250, I believed it was stable... well I had no artifacts but throttling

plus200core450memory.th.png

Same performance with 850/2250, and even there a small tad of throttling

135core450memory.th.png

Sad to post this. @svl7 I wish your progress all the best. Btw, if you manage to provide a vbios that does not throttle so badly, I will buy you a few beers. I have some money left on my PayPal account :)

Probably based on the rom I gave you, since it's "supposedly newer"? And also slightly overvolted, as I heard that stabilizes the card at higher clocks... but you know what to do, you're the pro! :D

As I said, I think the GPU Boost I'm experiencing in Games (849Mhz in Loading screens etc, 919Mhz when the game is running) is not activating in 3dmark11. I guess it ran with the not-boosted value of 849. I would like to verify this but 3dmark11 won't run when I'm monitoring it with AfterBurner or GPUz.
Hey bro. If you installed 3DMark11 using the custom option and added the 32-bit binary version you can use HWiNFO64/Afterburner OSD combo. The reason it does not work is because the Rivatuner OSD plugin is not compatible with native 64-bit programs. If you installed it, the 32-bit executable will be in the C:\Program Files\Futuremark\3DMark11\bin\x86 (default) installation folder. If not, you can run the installer again and select it. You'll get a slightly lower 3DMark11 score, but it's good for check out behavior in real-time.

Hey bro. If you installed 3DMark11 using the custom option and added the 32-bit binary version you can use HWiNFO64/Afterburn OSD combo. The reason it does not work is because the Rivatuner OSD plugin is not compatible with native 64-bit programs. If you installed it, the 32-bit executable will be in the C:\Program Files\Futuremark\3DMark11\bin\x86 (default) installation folder. If not, you can run the installer again and select it. You'll get a slightly lower 3DMark11 score, but it's good for check out behavior in real-time.

Thanks, that worked. I figured out my clocks actually jump to 919/2250 but throttle a lot, hence the low score.

I'm so looking forward to his next vbios :)

Instead of lowering the core speed, leave it at 919 and try lowering your memory overclock to 2100 or 2000 and see if the throttling goes away at either of those speeds. If you find a speed where it stops throttling, slowing increase from that point until the throttle returns, then back down a bit until it goes away. You only need to run 3DMark11 test 1 to find this out. If you can get test 1 to not throttle, the rest of 3DMark11 will run without throttling.

Hey guys, Brazil here. I've been pushing P8315 3dmarks @1053 clock and 2450 memory using the MSI_GTX680m4gb_+_200MHz_OV_ver2.zip vbios on my Clevo GTX680M with my 3720QM @ 3.4 using throttlestop. Rock stable for weeks now in a P150EM using arctic silver 5, without any cooling mod whatsoever (going for mx-4 now and will post temp differences short after). Little bit of stuttering on NFS: The Run though, on whatever vbios or clock.

Problem is though, i guess because my laptop has optimus, I can't enable stereo tabs on the nvidia control panel. Tried manual install like Brian suggested and still nothing happened. Popped in an external sata drive, installed a fresh copy of W7 x64, installed drivers (Intel first, because of desktop resolution), manually installed nvidia stereo drivers and still nothing. Any help on this issue? Strange thing is that the 3rd party Tri-Def stereo enabler software works ok on my LG or Panasonic panels. Anyway, I've tried on my desktop (in which stereo tabs were always enabled since day 1) and nVidia has a better stereo result than tri-def does (and nvidia is free).

Using latest 306.23 WHQL drivers and the passive stereo panel hack (just forcing the Zalman panel inf on my LG or Panasonic panels - works great on my desktop). When I finish installing the stereo drivers, I get a message saying "primary graphics adapter doesn't support 3d vision". Think Intel 4000 is trying to get hold of that. Any workarounds? Been trying for a month now and almost giving up.

I tried the "Dell 680m - 80.04.33.00.21.rom_900default_OV" and it throttles in 3dmark 11 for me :S

edit: it seems its throttling when i try furmark or 3dmark 11. But i played entropia universe (cryengine) for a good while and it didnt throttle. Anybody know why it does that?

@MrValle - Furmark always throttles and so does Kombustor. It is coded into the GPU to throttle using those utilities to keep you from frying your card. 3DMark11 will throttle, especially in test #1 if you overclock too far on core, memory, or put too much voltage to the card... again, to keep you from burning it up. Lower your overclock on memory a little bit since the core is locked with that vBIOS. That may stop your throttling problem in 3DMark11.

I'm having worse throttling issues then most users here on the Clevo 4gb. It's the one that came with my P170EM. I can give it ~30 OC to the core but any more than that and it throttles on the first 3dmark 11 test which is disappointing seeing others hitting 850core/2200memory without throttling on it. Is there any chance that slv7's Clevo OC that apparently fixed throttling for him will help me at all? I'm considering RMAing the card and I've already contacted the manufacturer and they told me that it would be unlikely to change but I could RMA it if I requested to do so. BTW, on stock clocks I hit ~6100 Graphics score in 3dmark 11(NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel® Core i7-3740QM CPU @ 2.70GHz,CLEVO P170EM score: P6189 3DMarks). Here's the test with the throttling induced lower framerate in the first graphics test(NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel® Core i7-3740QM CPU @ 2.70GHz,CLEVO P170EM score: P6816 3DMarks). The other tests run almost flawlessly, sometimes one or two drops, but the first throttles almost continually.

@0xsergy - set 3DMark11 to run test 1 only. Set your core at 850 and leave the memory stock. See if the throttle goes away. If it does, set it for 1000Mhz and test again. If you go too far with core or memory you are going to throttle. What you see others running can be deceptive. If they are using a locked core vBIOS, what it seems like the core is running will not be accurate.

@0xsergy - set 3DMark11 to run test 1 only. Set your core at 850 and leave the memory stock. See if the throttle goes away. If it does, set it for 1000Mhz and test again.

I guess you mean +100Mhz on memory, not 1000 :)

I tried that. My highest Core without throttling is +170 in 888, the Core shows 888. If I go ANY higher, it throttles. This is with Memory on stock, 1800. The last stable OC is only +20 on memory, and even that throttles sometimes -.- So basicly 888/1800 is the last stable OC with the Clevo New vbios. This also only results in 6,5k 3dmark11 points for me. With my throttling OC of 888/2000 I can get 200 points more, but that's not worth it if the FPS dip in the low 20's at times.

I really hope svl7 is making progress on a new Clevo rom that does not throttle so much! :D

EDIT: I get it, you meant setting it to 1000 instead of 900. No idea why the Memory is sometimes stated as 1800 and sometimes as 900...

• Brian featured this topic