NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

So your not having driver crashes with the 758mhz with unlocked core? Intertesting.

There were a couple of us that were having driver crashes with it and it was only stable at very low OC which didn't produce the same results as some of the other vbios. Not sure what was causing it, I don't remember if it was OV or not.

What are you able to OC your cards to then?

None of the vbios I tried -- the 758mhz included -- gave me a driver crash in game. However, all of them but the one I posted the link experience a 100/200~ mhz throttle. I'm still trying to experiment with various clocks and yesterday I was able to play Crysis 1 and 2 at 950mhz core both all maxed out and with vsync ON and keeping a stable 60 fps (50/60 for Crysis 1). Note that in Crysis 1 the cards "throttle" from 950 to 850 (never below it) but I never experience a drop in fps or stuttering.

I did notice if you start over clocking that over clock edition one...the voltage starts to drop ans the core clocks go up...I'll have to re look at which one i was last testing.

- - - Updated - - -

I did notice if you start over clocking that over clock edition one...the voltage starts to drop ans the core clocks go up...I'll have to re look at which one i was last testing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Didn't you mention the 'OCeditionNew' in your previous post? I thought it was that one...

Yes, you are right. I totally spaced out. I'm sorry. With all the vbios I have tried during the last few days I'm getting confused :-)

The Dell 680m - OCeditionNew is the one I'm currently using and that, at least in my case, unlocks both core and memory clocks.

Yes, you are right. I totally spaced out. I'm sorry. With all the vbios I have tried during the last few days I'm getting confused :-)

The Dell 680m - OCeditionNew is the one I'm currently using and that, at least in my case, unlocks both core and memory clocks.

What are your core clocks and memory clocks with this vbios?

You say this is the only one you can OC the core. All the ones I have tried have had some sort of core clock OC available wether is be 135, 324, or the one that seems to be open.

OCnewedition causes driver crashes for me once I try to OC my cards with something that was stable with anothe vbios.

I still think the 900mhz core clock with OV is still the best and stable. Until someone shows some benchmarks that surpass what I was able to score then I don't see how ocnewedition is better.

EDIT: I didnt see that you repsponded to my previous question. I'm glad your not having problems with that vbios. I wish I didn't because I know my core clocks can handle a lot more OC and still waiting to be able to unleash the true power of these cards.

What are your core clocks and memory clocks with this vbios?

You say this is the only one you can OC the core. All the ones I have tried have had some sort of core clock OC available wether is be 135, 324, or the one that seems to be open.

OCnewedition causes driver crashes for me once I try to OC my cards with something that was stable with anothe vbios.

I still think the 900mhz core clock with OV is still the best and stable. Until someone shows some benchmarks that surpass what I was able to score then I don't see how ocnewedition is better.

EDIT: I didnt see that you repsponded to my previous question. I'm glad your not having problems with that vbios. I wish I didn't because I know my core clocks can handle a lot more OC and still waiting to be able to unleash the true power of these cards.

Yes. The 900 mhz one seems stable, but as the others, the cards throttle badly (temps never higher than 60, so it's never been about heat. The 758 one crashed only once in Crysis 2, but the rest seem ok. I overclocked up to 950 and run Heaven dx11 for longer than an hour with heavy tessellation and AA 8x. It kept always above 75 fPS. Also run metro and Crysis 2 benchies and not once the driver crashed.

-----------------------------------------

EDIT: so, even with the 758mhz vbios the cards throttle at about 200mhz -- still no driver crashes though. I guess I'll have to go back to the 900mhz one again.

EDIT 2: installed the 900mhz and it was throttling as well, atty first. This until I locked the fps to 60 with evga precision and now they don't throttle anymore. I tried it in long sessions of unigine heaven, crysis 2, crysis wars, and borderlands 2. No problem so far.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

I believe the throttling issue is exclusive to Alienwares. In my experience, neither the Clevo OC New or either of the MSI VBIOS's are showing any throttling, I deliberately looked for clock dips on NVIDIA Inspector and clocks stay solid.

My rig is a Clevo P150HM (Sager NP8150).

Only issue I show is not waking properly from sleep. My computer will shutdown when I try to wake it. Anyone know a fix? (again)

I believe the throttling issue is exclusive to Alienwares. In my experience, neither the Clevo OC New or either of the MSI VBIOS's are showing any throttling, I deliberately looked for clock dips on NVIDIA Inspector and clocks stay solid.

My rig is a Clevo P150HM (Sager NP8150).

Only issue I show is not waking properly from sleep. My computer will shutdown when I try to wake it. Anyone know a fix? (again)

What type of 680M are you using friend? Are you using the Clevo one? I have one Clevo 680M and I'm trying to make a overclock for daily use, which BIOS do you recommend?

On multiple laptops with sleep resume issue especially Nvidia based setting Sleep mode to "Hybrid Mode" in power option... Restart and try again and it always fixed it for me. I havent had 680m but its worth a try. It worked on 580m and gt130m so you know what it worked on.

@Virale

Sent from my Paranoid Samsung Galaxy S3 on Sprint using Tapatalk 2 Jelly Bean flavor included

What type of 680M are you using friend? Are you using the Clevo one? I have one Clevo 680M and I'm trying to make a overclock for daily use, which BIOS do you recommend?

Hey there buddy, I have a Clevo 680M in my P150HM.

Currently I've tried these VBIOS's from this thread:

680m_Clevo_OCeditionNew.zip -------------------- Unlocked software overclocking (You can overclock beyond +135MHz), and acoording to svl7, he tweaked it to remove throttling completely. So what you get is just an unlocked card, at stock clocks and voltages, and no throttling (theoretically; although I believe some Alienware users are still dealing with this problem regardless)

MSI_GTX680m4gb_'OCedition'_VBIOS.zip ---------- Unlocked software overclocking. What you get here is an unlocked card, at stock clocks and voltages. I can confirm it can be flashed to a Clevo card without issues, but it does throttle. (on a P150HM, other systems may vary)

MSI_GTX680m4gb_+_200MHz_OV_ver2.zip -------- Unlocked software overclocking. What you get here is an unlocked card, at 915MHz core/1800 memory, 3D-state voltage at 1037mV. A little bit high for me, it concerns me. On a side note: this enables the most extreme overclocking, but use with caution.

They all work as advertised on the first and second post of this thread.

For daily use, I dug around and found @widezu69's thread and loved it:

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/2062-using-your-4gb-gtx-680m-its-safest-full-potential.html#post26060

I use the VBIOS he shares in his OP, it is an MSI VBIOS modded by slv7 running core at 915/2250 memory, 3D-state voltage sits at 1000mV.

This VBIOS has given me great stability and performance and I'm not too concerned about temperature or pushing my card. I leave it as it is with that rom.

Try it out, you might just love it. Cheers

- - - Updated - - -

On multiple laptops with sleep resume issue especially Nvidia based setting Sleep mode to "Hybrid Mode" in power option... Restart and try again and it always fixed it for me. I havent had 680m but its worth a try. It worked on 580m and gt130m so you know what it worked on.

@Virale

Sent from my Paranoid Samsung Galaxy S3 on Sprint using Tapatalk 2 Jelly Bean flavor included

OMGGG!!! TY! I'll try this later tonight!!!!!!!! @mw86 Thank you so much!

• Thumbs Up 2

Great I hope it works for you... Then others know the fix too if it does fix it.

Hey there buddy, I have a Clevo 680M in my P150HM.

Currently I've tried these VBIOS's from this thread:

680m_Clevo_OCeditionNew.zip -------------------- Unlocked software overclocking (You can overclock beyond +135MHz), and acoording to svl7, he tweaked it to remove throttling completely. So what you get is just an unlocked card, at stock clocks and voltages, and no throttling (theoretically; although I believe some Alienware users are still dealing with this problem regardless)

MSI_GTX680m4gb_'OCedition'_VBIOS.zip ---------- Unlocked software overclocking. What you get here is an unlocked card, at stock clocks and voltages. I can confirm it can be flashed to a Clevo card without issues, but it does throttle. (on a P150HM, other systems may vary)

MSI_GTX680m4gb_+_200MHz_OV_ver2.zip -------- Unlocked software overclocking. What you get here is an unlocked card, at 915MHz core/1800 memory, 3D-state voltage at 1037mV. A little bit high for me, it concerns me. On a side note: this enables the most extreme overclocking, but use with caution.

They all work as advertised on the first and second post of this thread.

For daily use, I dug around and found @widezu69's thread and loved it:

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/2062-using-your-4gb-gtx-680m-its-safest-full-potential.html#post26060

I use the VBIOS he shares in his OP, it is an MSI VBIOS modded by slv7 running core at 915/2250 memory, 3D-state voltage sits at 1000mV.

This VBIOS has given me great stability and performance and I'm not too concerned about temperature or pushing my card. I leave it as it is with that rom.

Try it out, you might just love it. Cheers

- - - Updated - - -

OMGGG!!! TY! I'll try this later tonight!!!!!!!! @mw86 Thank you so much!

Thank you so much friend, you have answered all my questions, except for a new one haha.

This "sleep bug" only appears in non-Optimus machines right? I have a P150EM (Optimus-enabled) and has never saw this bug.

Thanks!

Intel XTU can also cause issues resuming from sleep, if you have that installed.

I don't have that installed, but thanks a lot for the heads up! I'll spread the word if I come across someone with this problem too!

Hybrid sleep didn't seem to have any effect whatsoever. Computer sleeps fine and when it wakes, screen never comes on and the system auto-shuts off after 5-8 secs and reboots. :( I think it'll never be fixed.

This happens because of some hardware incompatibility with the 680M in my P150HM, as it doesn't officially support it (no more BIOS updates since Nov. '11; ridiculous I KNOW). Clevo HM Series users need to install the drivers for the card with a modded INF and all.

My best guess is a lingering Optimus problem, maybe svl7 might find a fix to disable it entirely! Fingers crossed anyway...

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you so much friend, you have answered all my questions, except for a new one haha.

This "sleep bug" only appears in non-Optimus machines right? I have a P150EM (Optimus-enabled) and has never saw this bug.

Thanks!

That's true lol... the P150EM doesn't have such problems! Happy gaming! :D

I'm usually oblivious to problems resuming from sleep because I always disable sleep and hibernation functionality on all systems. My computers are always either turned on or shut off.

• Founder
I'm usually oblivious to problems resuming from sleep because I always disable sleep and hibernation functionality on all systems. My computers are always either turned on or shut off.

Same here I never put them to sleep, I just shut them down instead.

Same here ln sleep and hibernation as I had older comps in past have issues where data resumed to in hibernation caused memory issues maybe a sort of memory leak... I don't know thats why i stay away from their use.

I was supprised with this as well. I have never used sleep or hibernation and that's the first thing I disable. With the speeds of todays SSD it really is pointless to use them I believe.

• Founder

It really isn't about speed for me. Using sleep for me is more about preserving my workspace setup plus all the open tabs in browser etc so that I don't need to keep my comp on at night but can come back to the way it was the night before in the morning.

If i did a lot of work i needed a project open awhile on I would also use it like that Michael. I think sleep resume and hibernation has its purpose and is actually very useful when you need it especially in the situation you outlined Michael. Technically it takes less juice overnight to resume from sleep or hibernation while its been in that state all night than starting your computer from a shutdown state. Thats another reason hibernation and sleep has not only continued to exist but to slowly improve in each OS version.

Hi svl7, I just backed up my vbios prior to installing one of your modded ones! Strangely it's 157kb large while your mods are 50kb, why is that? Also a NBR mate sent me his stock clevo vbios which is 88kb large, so why is mine so stuffed up? :D

I would attache it if I could but I don't know how and I think I'm not yet allowed to do it either.

backup.zip

Strangely it's 157kb large while your mods are 50kb, why is that? Also a NBR mate sent me his stock clevo vbios which is 88kb large, so why is mine so stuffed up? :

You're vbios is a slightly newer version. The only change you will probably notice is that they changed the clocks, it seems as if the boost function should now work properly, up to 758MHz max stock boost.

As for why the file is larger... ask Nvidia, they more than doubled the size of the certificate in this vbios... nothing to care about at the moment, but in case Nvidia ever starts making use of this... then it's probably goodbye to vbios mods.

You're vbios is a slightly newer version. The only change you will probably notice is that they changed the clocks, it seems as if the boost function should now work properly, up to 758MHz max stock boost.

As for why the file is larger... ask Nvidia, they more than doubled the size of the certificate in this vbios... nothing to care about at the moment, but in case Nvidia ever starts making use of this... then it's probably goodbye to vbios mods.

Interesting. Well no, the boost function does not work. It stays at 719Mhz no matter what - except changing the P2 state with the command line.

Also I just tested my friends 680M Vbios, with his I can overclock via Afterburner etc just fine! Then I tested your vbios that widezu69 slightly modified. The 915 Mhz appears in GPUz, and also stays if I open a game. But if I close it and launch another one, both the Core and Memory stay at 324 Mhz. 3dmark11 never opens in 915Mhz, which is weird. I will now test your Clevo vbios without the voltage tweak. Do you think I could even try the MSI version with the core boost as default (as that is what I'm looking for)?

Thanks

Also I just tested my friends 680M Vbios, with his I can overclock via Afterburner etc just fine!

Which vbios version is it?

Then I tested your vbios that widezu69 slightly modified.

It was me who modified it, at the request of widezu... ;) Anyway, that's a MSI vbios. The MSI vbios are working on the Clevo cards, at least so far, but some Clevo users have issues with the MSI vbios. In the AW systems it seems to work fine.

Mine, original stock clevo vbios 80.04.29.00.01 ...

If it could help i test your backup vbios 80.04.33.00.10. and it give me the fear of my life ... after flashing with it and reboot, i be lock in bios screen during ten minutes, after three beep windows load. The card is recognize but not well... after flashing to backup bios, all is right again. Be careful of new gtx680m on P1XXHM

• Brian featured this topic